Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday November 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
dagger108
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337743
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Default Bailing wire and duct tape too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
theres no reason you couldnt make the links Wagon Width.
Hmmm, so how does a person shave a 1/16th of an inch off of (2 sides x 1/16" = 1/8") a polyurethane bushing?

Even if there is a reasonable way of trimming the bushing, what does this do to the warranty on a $100 "upgrade". To me that means there are 100 reasons not to "make" it fit.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dagger108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
dagger108
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56 View Post
i can say the only time i have greased my kartboy endlinks is the time i installed them 5 years ago and they dont make noise. i dont think you need the grease ports.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139955
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger108 View Post
Hmmm, so how does a person shave a 1/16th of an inch off of (2 sides x 1/16" = 1/8") a polyurethane bushing?

Even if there is a reasonable way of trimming the bushing, what does this do to the warranty on a $100 "upgrade". To me that means there are 100 reasons not to "make" it fit.
With a knife or razor blade.

But you totally misunderstood what I said.

Since GC/Wagon control arms capture the end link, they have a required width.
Since GD control arms have the end link bolt on in single shear, the links can be any width.
So if you make the links GC/wagon width, they work for both applications.

The only issue with this is that the GD uses a larger fastener since it is single shear. But if you punch out the holes in the control arm, you can use the larger fastener without issue.

This is the exact approach Perrin uses for their Spherical front end links.

OP should get a hold of a pair of calipers and measure the width of his links and the width of the Clevis in his control arm.

Then Tom can post the width of his wagon links.

Ill measure the width of the Perrin Sphericals (that I took out of our GC and replaced with stock links no problem) once I get home.

I'm willing to bet money that the Clevis in OP's control arms was pinched shut because someone over tightened the links at some point.
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

The Perrin Spherical endlinks are 30.5mm wide where they are captured within the Control Arm Clevis. Stock/Stock Replacement GC/Wagon links are also this width. The inside-inside measurement of the clevis is 31mm when it is relaxed (Nothing bolted to it)

Tom-What are the widths of your links?

OP-What is the width of your links?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #30
dagger108
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Quote:
With a knife or razor blade. But you totally misunderstood what I said.

Since GC/Wagon control arms capture the end link, they have a required width. Since GD control arms have the end link bolt on in single shear, the links can be any width. So if you make the links GC/wagon width, they work for both applications.

OP should get a hold of a pair of calipers and measure the width of his links and the width of the Clevis in his control arm.

Then Tom can post the width of his wagon links.

I'm willing to bet money that the Clevis in OP's control arms was pinched shut because someone over tightened the links at some point.
Actuallly Vision, I think you misunderstand the situation. The GD control arms are wider. So to make the links GC/wagon width, they need to have a 1/16" trim off each side of a polyurethane bushing, which is not going to happen with a knife or razor blade. Single Shear or Double Shear is not relevant at this point. It is the width of the polyurethane bushing that is in question.

I also pulled out the calipers and measured the width of the links and the width of the Clevis in the control arm, which is posted above (clevis inside dimension = 1.21", Perrin links outside dimension = 1.375"). Tom has also posted the picture showing the the width of the wagon links and sedan links. There is a difference. You appear to be the only person that hasn't grasped this fact.

The clevis on the control arms is not pinched shut an 1/8".

Last edited by dagger108; 03-23-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #31
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

I did not see that you had measured them. 1.21" is indeed ~30-31mm so it sounds like your control arms are fine.

The GD Sedan control arms are not wider..they dont have a clevis..single shear.

I have seen the clevis on the control arm pinched down to barely over 1" using just the bolt..the crush tube was missing from the end link. Had to spread it back apart.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #32
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger108 View Post
Tom has also posted the picture showing the the width of the wagon links and sedan links. There is a difference. You appear to be the only person that hasn't grasped this fact.
Again, you are missing my point that it is absolutely possible to make a single end link fit both applications with the exception of having to punch out the holes in the GC/Wagon arms for a larger bolt.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #33
dagger108
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Quote:
I did not see that you had measured them. 1.21" is indeed ~30-31mm so it sounds like your control arms are fine.

The GD Sedan control arms are not wider..they dont have a clevis..single shear.

Again, you are missing my point that it is absolutely possible to make a single end link fit both applications with the exception of having to punch out the holes in the GC/Wagon arms for a larger bolt.
The Perrin endlinks are 1.375" wide or almost 35 mm. 4 mm too wide, which means that you would need to shave 2 mm off each side of the polyurethane bushing to allow them to fit. It isn't a question of whether it is possible to make a single end link fit both applications, it is the fact that the endlink that Perrin makes does not fit in a wagon.You are arguing something that is not in question.

It's not the clevis of the control arm that is wider, it is the endlink that is wider.

Last edited by dagger108; 03-24-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

i think he was just telling you how to make it fit in your wagon. you shave the bushing and sleeve. or send back to perrin for a refund as they dont fit.
if perrin was smart, they would make all there bushings with one side smaller to fit the wagon and then it would also fit the sedan no prop too.
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote