Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1376
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Pook, did you ever think of switching to CBC laser cut and bent tubing. Pricing versus time really isn't bad at all, especially if it is something that you are replicating.

-Micah
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1377
hipowernut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254184
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
TR42 06 WRX w/5 spd
Syn Green w/carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixPooK View Post
Well after 2 plus years of giving it the Old College try. I'm going to fold up Speed and focus on my European cars
Exo Cars (Fab work) just cant pay the bills as slow as I am at building them.
Its been a hoot boys!
PooK...OUT!
Well, at least you tried whereas many don't. 50 window shoppers/dreamers and 6 buyers can't keep the dream alive. Glad I shared in your vision.

Hopefully my car will be at your shop soon and we'll be taking it for a spin!
hipowernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #1378
Vaughn Performance
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 170489
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Great.......Just frigging great, like I needed something else to day dream about lol Stumbled across this thread this morning and thought, "huh......that's gonna be neat" to 56 pages later and wondering what organs I can do without to score some spare coin to build one lol Been daydreaming about tearing up Angeles crest highway in one of these all morning now haha

I skimmed a lot to get caught up, but I know many pages back you guys seemed like you had trouble finding wheel options you liked. I know you guys are sorted on this one now, but just for the future, you guys should check out these:

Can get them made in just about any size, offset, bolt pattern, and wheel color you can dream up. Drop me a line on here sometime if you guys think you might ever be interested in a set. Never hurts to have options. These are BRAID Fullrace A, (would be my pick in black for this car ) but they have quite a assortment of other styles and options to choose from as well

Anyway, subscribed, can't wait to see you guys get it fired up! Awesome work on this project!

-Anthony
Vaughn Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #1379
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36080

Quote:
Well after 2 plus years of giving it the Old College try. I'm going to fold up Speed and focus on my European cars
Its been a hoot boys!
PooK...OUT!
Oh nooooo!!!... Will you still build them if people come to you?? One is definitely on my wish list so I WILL be calling you either when I sell my STi or when I get deployed...
GreenMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #1380
hipowernut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
TR42 06 WRX w/5 spd
Syn Green w/carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarine View Post
Oh nooooo!!!... Will you still build them if people come to you?? One is definitely on my wish list so I WILL be calling you either when I sell my STi or when I get deployed...
I think you're too late my friend. You can swing by and see mine whenever you are in the Atlanta area though. I should have it on the road soon.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #1381
K.Linchpin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97984
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 MBP WRX Wagon
EJ207+VF37+4.11+DCCD

Quote:
Its been a hoot boys!
PooK...OUT!
Damn... last time I checked my "new car" fund was up to $1250 and I am/was heavily leaning towards the FF818 or one of these!
K.Linchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #1382
MatrixPooK
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 268609

I am very sorry guys, I LOVE building these but its so spotty. I Build two then stress over the bills then build one then wait and stress some more.
Being a small builder is tough! The whole time Im telling my regular car customers I cant get you in because Im welding or grinding and that doesnt mix well with these cars
Fact is no matter how much I like fab work, One Exo takes me a few months and pays less in profit than one Porsche engine that takes me a week.
Hell I cant afford one of my own cars if that tells you anything...
PooK
MatrixPooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #1383
K.Linchpin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97984
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 MBP WRX Wagon
EJ207+VF37+4.11+DCCD

Would it have made any difference if you had 5-10 customers lined up? I mean, that would be steady income, but you'd still be cranking em out at the same rate. No, unfortunately I don't have 9 rich friends that are ready to buy a TR-42.
K.Linchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #1384
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Quote:
I am very sorry guys, I LOVE building these but its so spotty. I Build two then stress over the bills then build one then wait and stress some more.
Being a small builder is tough! The whole time Im telling my regular car customers I cant get you in because Im welding or grinding and that doesnt mix well with these cars
Fact is no matter how much I like fab work, One Exo takes me a few months and pays less in profit than one Porsche engine that takes me a week.
Hell I cant afford one of my own cars if that tells you anything...
PooK
Wait wait wait... Lets not do anything rash just yet... I know the stress of building them must have been tough, but look at what YOU created!! For me it is a part of a dream. Something to help keep me alive (while I'm on the ground atleast) since flying is too effing expensive... WHAT IF, you keep everything ready to one day build them again... Throw a loose fishline out there and get a list of 5 people with $ in hand (atleast 1/2) of it. Then start on those? Or if you were to do mine down the road, I wouldn't be in a rush to get it, just as long as I got it before kids popped into the picture ...

Is there ANYTHING I can say that will help you not want to throw in the towel on these beautiful little things??
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #1385
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Honestly, I think the down fall was giving too many options. This is something I initially came into with my engine lines.

I since dialed back a lot. Only my premium guys get all of the options and the insanity/stress level has dialed way down.

Just my $0.02,
Micah
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #1386
teg5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 163853
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 STi Hatch
DGM

It truly is a sad day, I'm sitting here literally stunned. My buddy and I had just went down to meet Pook a few weeks ago and check out the cars he was building in person and ask too many questions about them. I am so incredibly disheartened that these machines shall cease to be produced and even worse that I won't get a chance to own one, no matter how much of a dream it may or may not have been. Pook, thank you for taking a chance and creating something so amazing, for you truly are an artist! I can only hope and pray that you won't get rid of the jig and that your love for fabrication will be sparked again in the future.

Thank you,

Aaron
teg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #1387
RSti_Spyder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 120907
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Meyers Manx #85
1400 Lb 930 Trans 04 STi

Sell plans for the car and make some cash and let others weld and grind...
RSti_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #1388
bettner12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56179
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
Pook, did you ever think of switching to CBC laser cut and bent tubing. Pricing versus time really isn't bad at all, especially if it is something that you are replicating.

-Micah
Ie. Cartesian tube profiling? That would reduce fabrication time and costs a ton!
bettner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1389
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Pook, I WILL be contacting you in the future with $ in hand... I can only hope that you'll still have all the stuff to make this beautiful little machine
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #1390
MatrixPooK
Scooby Newbie

Man you guys are making me feel bad...
Maybe I can talk Kevin into buying the whole thing and keeping it going..
Got the small shop next door Kev..Its Cheap...?
PooK
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #1391
TheGnome
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60897
Vehicle:
1998 2.5 RS
Black

Quote:
PooK
I'd be open to that idea...we'll talk about it when I'm down next weekend.
TheGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #1392
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Quote:
PooK
I'm sorry Pook, but you have something special here... My friend has a thing for Factory 5 and when I told him that you were pulling out, he told me I had to get a Factory 5 instead... We actually got into a brief argument over the matter because I don't want a ****ing Factory 5 generic BS "kit car"... I want the special craftsmanship that the TR-42 brings to the table...

I love your car Pook... If you take a break from it for a while I totally understand, but please don't kill the car... It is SOOOOOOO much better than the Factory 5 POS... Yours is a 4 wheeled Subaru powered motorcycle, something I'm going to need in the coming years to remain sane as I get older
Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #1393
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
I'd be open to that idea...we'll talk about it when I'm down next weekend.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #1394
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettner12

Ie. Cartesian tube profiling? That would reduce fabrication time and costs a ton!
Just realized that my phone auto corrected cnc.

Pook, seriously look into what I said. The prebent kits will add some cost in inventory but greatly reduce labor costs to purchase. All in all, you are now outsourcing your time on the builds but keeping sales cost close.

...coming from your friendly consultant mechanical/design engineer.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #1395
MatrixPooK
Scooby Newbie

I will just to see.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #1396
batti_83
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352281
Default Construction

Hello, I'm from Argentina, I am writing to ask the plans to build the car you posted (TR-42 -chassis #004-).The truth is I am very excited to start building one, and nothing here is very simple and very cheap but I work in a metallurgical company and I think I can use the machines, at least for welding.Here I use SolidWorks, Autocad and some Rhino.Hopefully I can get your answer soon, and sorry for my basic English.

Franco
batti_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1397
hipowernut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
TR42 06 WRX w/5 spd
Syn Green w/carbon fiber

Franco - unfortunately there are no plans available for fabricating this car on your own, it was (meaning that currently this kit is no longer available as production has ceased) only available as a pre-welded kit that you then added your own drivetrain to and completed the wiring and final assembly.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #1398
teg5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 163853
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 STi Hatch
DGM

Any status updates from TIC?
teg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #1399
hipowernut
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
TR42 06 WRX w/5 spd
Syn Green w/carbon fiber

Tony just sent me my latest invoice yesterday. He has figured out the fuel system and still plans to have the car completed this month.

My fenders that are being fab'd by Adam Beck should also be completed this week.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #1400
MatrixPooK
Scooby Newbie

Yes but did he send pictures?....I MUST HAVE PICTURES!!!
PooK