Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default What transmission to run?

Hey I have a 02 wrx. Just sold the 06 sti transmission out of it due to not liking the gearing on it. I picked up a blown up 04 wrx transmission and still have the 06 sti rear differential in the car. Just curious as to what my options are. I want the car to be a reliable 450hp auto cross car. I know there is the obvious ppg gear set but that a bit spendy. Thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
Hey I have a 02 wrx. Just sold the 06 sti transmission out of it due to not liking the gearing on it. I picked up a blown up 04 wrx transmission and still have the 06 sti rear differential in the car. Just curious as to what my options are. I want the car to be a reliable 450hp auto cross car. I know there is the obvious ppg gear set but that a bit spendy. Thanks in advance.
wait......WUT???

you had a 6mt in the car already and sold it...now you want to spend MORE on doing something else???

why the hell didnt you get a gearset put in the 6MT???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Sneeky Pete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97745
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago-Subs
Vehicle:
2005 OBXT 5spd red
05 OB Lmited Black

Default

You ditched a far superior transmission for broken pile of crap...

You can't be helped here, you need a mental health forum, and a cat scan
Sneeky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

Ok I wasn't looking for a ******* remark. Probably should of stated that. Just wanted the opinions of some people. The 06 gearing is worthless. At highway speeds with my stock wrx trans i was at lower rpms then the 6 speed. I just need to know what transmissions are out there that would give me what im looking for. Something around the gearing of an 02 but obviously a lot stronger.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

I would rather have a 5 speed then a 6 speed. Its an autocross car so less shifting the better for me. Its my opinion. I dont get why everyone on this forum has to be a dick.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
I would rather have a 5 speed then a 6 speed. Its an autocross car so less shifting the better for me. Its my opinion. I dont get why everyone on this forum has to be a dick.


because it is hylarryous to see what insanity gets posted here

jesus.....we arent being......stupid......but we SEE it here every day

would it have been a LOT better to have figured this all out a LONG time ago???....that is your FIRST mistake

now you already did a trans swap and now ya sold the 6mt and wanna know what to do now???

well...lesse here......you COULD read and google and LEARN something about all of this and make a good, informed decision


or just p0p in here and ask to be spoon fed and get all sorts of idiots telling you all sorts of crazy things and YOU not knowing **** about ****, wont know what advice to take,.,.....and ya end up with a 700r in your driveway on a pallet wonderin why it looks like it wont fit

or ya could make a real good decision and sell it and be far better off

i keep seein more and more and MORE of this kind of thing here....guess havin children buyin more and more of these cars is not such a good thing
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

You have not read the sticky threads at the top of this forum before posting. Doing so, you would have found the post titled Transmission FAQ which would allow you to make your own decision saving from the monster called Uncle Scotty. I feel sorry for your mother.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

Dude this is why i hate this forum. Im not a expert in subarus. And apparently if your not an expert your just some douche bag. Forums are made so people can help other people not just degrade them for doing something they want that you don't see right in your eyes. If you would ask before just assuming everything. There is a reason why I got rid of the 6 speed. I dont want 6 gears. I liked the car a lot more when it was a 5 speed. I knew that before i was selling it that i would probably just end up putting a ppg gear set it in but before doing that I just wanted to see what my options were. Im not some kid thats brand new to this. I've been in the subaru game for over 5 years. Just never knew a whole lot about transmissions. There is no need to just automatically assume that you know everything about everybody and start off the thread by being a dick. Different people have different preferences. You may like the 6 speed. I hated it. Im just hear to see if there were any other options over buying the ppg gear set before i pull the trigger on it.

If someone with some transmission knowledge could just help me on what im here for without being rude and degrading that would be awesome. Thanks
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

I looked through there and still had a few questions. I didnt find exactly what i was looking for. Again lets all just jump the gun and assume that your all superior human beings to the person that doesn't know everything about transmissions. I guess this forum isn't like most where they offer help without offending every little thing about everybody.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
WillGeorge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339409
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roseville CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Default

450 hp is too much, but you could run an 09 plus gear set. They have stronger gears (up to 400hp apparently) and have great ratios for autocross. I run one, my hp is no where near 450, but it feels strong. 3rd gear tops at over 100, good ratios.
WillGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

Sweet. Thats all the info I was looking for. Thanks a ton for the info without degrading me.
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
Dude this is why i hate this forum. Im not a expert in subarus. And apparently if your not an expert your just some douche bag. Forums are made so people can help other people not just degrade them for doing something they want that you don't see right in your eyes. If you would ask before just assuming everything. There is a reason why I got rid of the 6 speed. I dont want 6 gears. I liked the car a lot more when it was a 5 speed. I knew that before i was selling it that i would probably just end up putting a ppg gear set it in but before doing that I just wanted to see what my options were. Im not some kid thats brand new to this. I've been in the subaru game for over 5 years. Just never knew a whole lot about transmissions. There is no need to just automatically assume that you know everything about everybody and start off the thread by being a dick. Different people have different preferences. You may like the 6 speed. I hated it. Im just hear to see if there were any other options over buying the ppg gear set before i pull the trigger on it.

If someone with some transmission knowledge could just help me on what im here for without being rude and degrading that would be awesome. Thanks


sorry d00000000000000d......im just sitting here with a headache trying to understand how all of this is even possible
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
WillGeorge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339409
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roseville CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Default

Some people post all the crap they can which I understand, but it's just not worth doing, you should however do some research. I don't post questions here because this happens. Great info, great knowledge amongst the people, but 9 times out of 10 your question has been answered. More threads just don't help.

Side note: you said a reliable 450 hp Wrx...
Good luck with that, now way in hell a Wrx with 450 is gonna be reliable...
WillGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex View Post
Sweet. Thats all the info I was looking for. Thanks a ton for the info without degrading me.
there is NO factory gearset that will last long

and 'degrading' you???

i was just trying to get you to THINK and act...rather than getting spoon fed which just happened here and you got fed stupid

but anyway....this is just nuts....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
WillGeorge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339409
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roseville CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post

there is NO factory gearset that will last long

and 'degrading' you???

i was just trying to get you to THINK and act...rather than getting spoon fed which just happened here and you got fed stupid

but anyway....this is just nuts....
Ya for you I wouldn't reccomend that 09 gear set, just a thought.
Talk to your local tuner, they are probably knowledgeable about this...
The post I quoted. Plus 1.
WillGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

and it IS possible to re-gear the 6mt trans so that it has better ratios

THAT whould be less costly and less problematic than ****ing around with a 5mt as a 5mt that will last will likely cost $6k or there about

and the dccd makes it a whole different ball of wax as does the lsd front diff....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
Here it is! The 6spd he could have gotten!

2011 WRX - STI 6 Speed Swap with Spec B Gears - YouTube
was wonderin when you'd pop in here
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty

was wonderin when you'd pop in here
I almost didn't want to...but i had to.


Here it is at 8000rpms



And at 9000 RPMs!
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #20
WillGeorge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339409
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roseville CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
and it IS possible to re-gear the 6mt trans so that it has better ratios

THAT whould be less costly and less problematic than ****ing around with a 5mt as a 5mt that will last will likely cost $6k or there about

and the dccd makes it a whole different ball of wax as does the lsd front diff....
This would have been the best option...$
Just my.02
WillGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
Amazinman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332340
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillGeorge View Post
This would have been the best option...$
Just my.02
Well mate, I build rally cars and buggies and the trans is the soul of everything. You did the right thing to sell the 6 speed as you using the car for autocross. I assume the 6 speed had a ratio of 3.545 hence a very long gearbox. The 3.9 ratio 6 speed is also good. You need a very close ratio box. What you need is a 5 speed off a Sti RA (Rally version) with a 4.44 final drive. Your top speed will be around 170kph on 15" tyres. This will certainly be magic. However, this will be really bad for open stages.

Good luck
Amazinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex
I would rather have a 5 speed then a 6 speed. Its an autocross car so less shifting the better for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazinman
What you need is a 5 speed off a STi RA (Rally version) with a 4.44 final drive.

Good luck
That is the right answer!!!


Good luck!

P.s. There's a thread up top... Yea...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1689781
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
WRB19
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302898
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming/Arizona
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST
Race Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post



And at 9000 RPMs!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI-kLqUyiLA"]Spec B ratios - YouTube[url]
That car is ****ing fast as ****
WRB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
chris02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269764
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Mn
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru
Tangerine

Default

Fuji I emailed you asking questions before i sold the trans. Never got a reply
chris02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris02rex
Fuji I emailed you asking questions before i sold the trans. Never got a reply
I will have to change my email to my g-mail account. My hotmail is getting too much junk.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.