Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
05WRXWill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343851
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
05 WRX
Black

Default 5-10k Budget to Blow, Throw Some Knowledge at Me

Ok as the title insinuated I have come across a recent sum of money, of which I desire to inappropriately throw into my liabilities instead of my assets.

First and foremost, I want to increase reliability.

A little bit about myself I recently decided to trade in the old DD (02 Lexus ES300) for a 2005 WRX with around 95k miles on it after several years of drooling and careful consideration. Needless to say I am a very satisfied new member of the Subaru community.

Given my budget what would be a good direction to go?

Currently the car is in solid mechanical condition (as far as I know), I recently upgraded to a high output alternator (160 W from Maniac), in order to support an upgraded sound system of which two amplifiers will be drawing from it. I also recently replaced the battery to add additional strength to the electrical aspect of the vehicle. I mention this because I find it appropriate in regards to these additions affecting long term reliability. I will of course be performing a spark plug/tune up. The tires have plenty of tread.

The Lexus set a solid standard of reliability of which I hope that the Subaru will do the same.

What sort of reliability issues will I encounter in the near future, or what typically happens to Rex's around 95k miles?

What would be an informed decision in regards to the appropriation of funds given the budget that I have set forth?

After reliability concerns are covered, I would enjoy some slight performance enhancements including but not restricted to a turboback exhaust (beefy sounding), BOV (I want the sploosh, don't judge me), Air intake (I live in friggen hot ass TX with a black vehicle) some coilovers which could easily translate to a reliability concern/performance upgrade, as well as a custom dyno tune that I plan on after said reliability issues/performance upgrades are performed.

Optional enhancements I will consider that I have yet to research include:
TMIC.

Are there other areas of improvement that I should consider?

Also what should I anticipate to spend given whatever options you suggest?

Quality>Quantity

Imagine you were me, had an 05 WRX as your DD, and have 5-10k to spend on it.

This thread will serve me in my decision making process and I believe it will serve others with similar concerns.

(9 monkeys since apparently 12 is not allowed)

Last edited by 05WRXWill; 04-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.
05WRXWill is offline   Reply With Quote