Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
View Poll Results: The new WRX will be sedan only. Will you buy it? Read OP for assumptions...
Im buying this new WRX! 41 23.84%
I want a 2 or 3-door, but Im buying this new WRX anyway 5 2.91%
I want a 5-door, but Im buying this new WRX anyway 9 5.23%
I will not buy this new WRX because there is no 5-door 70 40.70%
I will not buy this new WRX because there is no 2 or 3-door 3 1.74%
I will not buy this new WRX regardless! 44 25.58%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
nhmtns
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94283
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mt. Washington Valley, NH
Vehicle:
'05 OBXT Stage 2
Min bil r svart

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob74 View Post
to each his own, i would never buy a station wagon.
So where do you put all your outdoor gear and dogs? Something tells me: 1) your idea of an outdoor adventure is walking in the rain from the parking lot to the mall entrance, and 2) a dog is a little rat looking thing with bows on it that women carry in their purses.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nhmtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
Shawn S
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 130665
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Veloster Turbo
2006 Z51 Corvette

Default

I sold my 09 WRX because it was nearing 100K and I needed something that was fun but got better MPGs and didnt have a 1990s interior.
I went with the Veloster Turbo.
Ill come back to Subaru and the new WRX in 2-3 years if this car has a modern DI Turbo drivetrain that gives good MPGs and runs on REGULAR gas.
I drive 30K a year so I burn through cars quick.
And it needs to be a small hatch, NOT a sedan.
Shawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #28
MorganJ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203823
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Vehicle:
2009 WRX STI
2005 WRX Sedan

Default

want STI
MorganJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
Sn0wKing
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341560
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Location: London, UK
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmtns View Post
So where do you put all your outdoor gear and dogs? Something tells me: 1) your idea of an outdoor adventure is walking in the rain from the parking lot to the mall entrance, and 2) a dog is a little rat looking thing with bows on it that women carry in their purses.


Personally, I never bought my STi with any care or concern of where I would fit anything in the car besides my ass and my daughter's carseat. And both fit comfortably, therefore I'm happy. If I want to worry about outdoor gear and camping, then that's what my truck will be for.

OP, if there will be a STi version I won't get the WRX, if not then I will get it. Provided the specs are at a good enough, the new model is worth me trading my 06 in for.
Sn0wKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #30
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

I'm so glad it's a sedan. Todays minivan shaped hatchbacks are so hideous and even scoops and fender flares can't help make cars the shape of a high top sneaker look good. Besides America loves sedans and Subaru is giving them what they want. You want utility get a Forrester or regular Impreza hatch. The WRX/STI should be about performance not utility.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wKing View Post
OP, if there will be a STi version I won't get the WRX, if not then I will get it. Provided the specs are at a good enough, the new model is worth me trading my 06 in for.
I probably should have rolled the WRX and WRX STI together as a part of any "yes" or "no," making another assumption that the new STI would be to the new WRX what the current STI is to the current WRX.

It would be nice if the STI is more than just a tarted up tarted up Impreza though.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
mattw278
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276165
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chapel Hill
Vehicle:
2013 STi 4-Door
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganJ View Post
want STI
This.
mattw278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Oh great #$%^&, Subaru's lame super light interior colors and the recent trend of making tough to love models and making them unappealing. New Impreza, new Forester..... However the BRZ is nice and this is interesting but.....

WRX or STI offerings aside, it does not matter. If I wanted an audi/lexus-ish car I would go buy one of those instead of this. I'm not pleased that the WRX/STI has become a flashy "look at my car, it must be fast, pull me over, and ticket me" looking car. There is a reason I like the GC, GD, and to "some" extent the GR cars look like and interchange parts with their economy counterparts.

Since I think the current model sedans are an abomination....at very least this concept sedan isn't nearly as annoying to me. I also guess it would match well to someone who has a BRZ already parked in their garage.
Still my initial opinion rains over these things.

At this point I'd rather buy a used GC or GD for my next Subaru. Or (gasp) start looking into another mfg's model. Subaru, offer up a proper hatchback and I might change my mind. Stop pandering to the average buyer.

Last edited by JarHarms; 04-04-2013 at 09:30 AM.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
Rampager2000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 318350
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Lufkin, TX
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I'm so glad it's a sedan. Todays minivan shaped hatchbacks are so hideous and even scoops and fender flares can't help make cars the shape of a high top sneaker look good. Besides America loves sedans and Subaru is giving them what they want. You want utility get a Forrester or regular Impreza hatch. The WRX/STI should be about performance not utility.
So, based on your argument, I should get two cars: one that is my hatch/function car and one that is my sport car, and not one that can do both? Why? If I can go buy a hot hatch, make some fun power, and get the work I need done, you can bet your ass I'll get that over a sedan any day. And I would. The new generation not having a 5 door option is a pretty big deal to me. Given my appeal with the Focus ST, I may end up going that route now. I mean, Subaru has dominated (and I use the word so perfectly here) the hot hatch market for years now. The fact they can even fathom creating another WRX that's not a hatch is crazy to me. And I'd 100% be okay with a hatchback WRX and not a hatchback STi, like it used to be. But no hatch at all will hurt their sales a lot.
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
EricInHoodRiver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299737
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Cobb Stage 2 Protune

Default

No wagon = no new car for me. I love the sporty utility of mr GR 5 door. Ski boots, wet suits, dog, picking kids up from practice. Love it! New sedan looks nice to me, but no wagon is no deal for my demographic.
EricInHoodRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
EuroSubi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341313
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
08' Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Subaru needs to fire their design artist cause they are murdering their cars. That car looks terrible.

I love my WRX 08 no matter if its not the sexy one
EuroSubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #37
dr1ftz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294208
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Suburb of Chicago
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door WRX Ltd.
SWP

Default

I think the car looks really cool and if I was still in the market for a new car next year then I might spring for one, but I'm really satisfied with my hatch and I'm not sure I could go back to a 4-door now
dr1ftz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
So, based on your argument, I should get two cars: one that is my hatch/function car and one that is my sport car, and not one that can do both? Why? If I can go buy a hot hatch, make some fun power, and get the work I need done, you can bet your ass I'll get that over a sedan any day. And I would. The new generation not having a 5 door option is a pretty big deal to me. Given my appeal with the Focus ST, I may end up going that route now. I mean, Subaru has dominated (and I use the word so perfectly here) the hot hatch market for years now. The fact they can even fathom creating another WRX that's not a hatch is crazy to me. And I'd 100% be okay with a hatchback WRX and not a hatchback STi, like it used to be. But no hatch at all will hurt their sales a lot.
Can't build cars for everyone. If you want utility there are more than enough vehicles to choose from. Subaru isn't dumb. They know their markets and they go over what sells and what doesn't, what makes profit and what doesn't. There's a reason they brought back the STI sedan and it's because Americans like sedans better. You may not but Subaru seems much more performance focused on the new WRX/STI and are not trying to make a vehicle for everybody like they did with the GR which may have sold well but underwhelmed as a performance car especially compared to the competition and even it's own BRZ. It appears Subaru is trying to build a WRX that receives the same amount of automotive praise as the FR-S/BRZ and to do that they will likely leave people that want a fast grocery getter in the dark.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
equiraptor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300017
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
Can't build cars for everyone. If you want utility there are more than enough vehicles to choose from.
If you want performance there are more than enough vehicles to choose from. If you want performance and utility and fun to drive, the list becomes much, much shorter. Apparently, that's not a popular combination in the US, and that's a shame.

We already have the performance vehicles that sacrifice utility. We actually have three of them. We want one car that has utility and comfort for daily driving, that also isn't disappointing to drive after the performance oriented vehicles. A WRX 5-door fits that. A 4-door doesn't offer enough utility (8 tires for one of the race cars fits in the 5-door with room for tools and stuff, as well).
equiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
ej25lol
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216317
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVa
Vehicle:
2004 STI
World Rally Bluuee

Default

what about I will wait for the STI!
ej25lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #41
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
Can't build cars for everyone. If you want utility there are more than enough vehicles to choose from. Subaru isn't dumb. They know their markets and they go over what sells and what doesn't, what makes profit and what doesn't. There's a reason they brought back the STI sedan and it's because Americans like sedans better. You may not but Subaru seems much more performance focused on the new WRX/STI and are not trying to make a vehicle for everybody like they did with the GR which may have sold well but underwhelmed as a performance car especially compared to the competition and even it's own BRZ. It appears Subaru is trying to build a WRX that receives the same amount of automotive praise as the FR-S/BRZ and to do that they will likely leave people that want a fast grocery getter in the dark.
They can't build cars for everyone? Then why have they done it since 1992? Just out of spite for Americans?

According to this poll, they'll be leaving a vast percentage of their core enthusiasts in the dark, too. Not to mention Europe.

I don't understand how offering a 5-door WRX could possibly detract anything from the sedan. If you think Subaru would be FORCED to compromise the 4-door's performance to offer a 5-door, you're wrong. So what is it? Image? Ashamed to even be related to a wagon? You'll be driving a SUBARU!

And thank you for suggesting an alternative to a WRX 5-door for those of us looking for a practical performance car. Freaking SUVs and crossovers, yeah, that's exactly the type of performance I want in the corners
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
Napalm3nema
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 263954
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2014 EVO Yes, EVO
Wicked White

Default

Until they have some solid weight / weight distribution / and power numbers, these threads are worthless.

Without that key information, no informed decision can be made about any flavor of this new platform.
Napalm3nema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Kdog0wns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352393
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Outback
White

Default

Meh i wasnt to impressed with the new WRX. Not a fan of sedans. Dont like the 2013 STI either.
Kdog0wns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #44
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

The day that I am in a stable financial position to buy a new car, I intend to buy a new WRX. If I don't like the current model when I can or the WRX has been discontinued then I will probably a used 2012, or a 1995 STi-RA.

This one I am really digging.
i_c_the_light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #45
psupunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315560
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Philly 'Burbs
Vehicle:
2013 WRX-5dr-Limited
CBS

Default

I'd be happy if they make the next WRX sedan-only. It ensures great resale value of my 2013 hatch
psupunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
JaiMak
Top Scoob 004
 
Member#: 697
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: TSC headquarters
Vehicle:
1999 Top Scoob #4
Satin White Pearl

Default

I'm having really bizarre flashbacks to 2000, when everything was all huffy about there not being a coupe before the Bugeyes debuted.
JaiMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #47
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sport-tech

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
According to this poll, they'll be leaving a vast percentage of their core enthusiasts in the dark, too. Not to mention Europe.
You mean this miniscule sample that is comprised of emotional fanboys? Just like the polls in 2008 where all the GD owners said they would never buy a GR and only a few years later almost all of them eventually did? Subaru knows their market much better than you do trust me.

As for Europe you do know the WRX/STI was pulled out of the UK market right? You really think Subaru is going to cater this car for what is a small market for them in Europe? Don't think so and being sedan only never hurt the EVO which still sells in Europe and the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
And thank you for suggesting an alternative to a WRX 5-door for those of us looking for a practical performance car. Freaking SUVs and crossovers, yeah, that's exactly the type of performance I want in the corners
Oh so it is performance in the corners you want? Then get your priorities straigh and start saving for the new WRX. I know this new generation is very self entitled but you simply are going to have to compromise as Subaru isn't compromising with the new WRX/STI as it's clearly catering to those that want performance over having minivan utility and it's not like sedans don't have some utility. You kids are simply overreacting as always.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #48
mferring
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 81345
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Houston area
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Red

Default

I guess I will jump in here. I am 56 years old so obviously not a kid. I love my 04 WRX stage 2 wagon because of the combination of utility and performance. I doubt I will get a WRX sedan. The announcement that a sedan only option was likely was seriously depressing.......
mferring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #49
Gixhost
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180111
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Land of Ham, MD
Vehicle:
* 2004.114.3 STi
Aspen White

Default

I can't vote because as much as I want another STi...I fell in love with the GC and grew to love the GD. I didn't completely drool over the GR until the STi sedan hit the market...so in essence...I know I'd have no problem with the WRX being a sedan only...but I want to see something more revolutionary than evolutionary. Also, the prices of the vehicles is spiraling out of control IMO...Its hard not to look at other slightly more expensive vehicles in the price range these vehicles are beginning to occupy.
Gixhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #50
Calbullet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338721
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Vehicle:
2013 STI 5 door
SWP

Default

didn't vote, because I just received my 2013 hatch. Happy I ordered when I did.
Calbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.