Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
Pablopakman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336372
Vehicle:
97 impreza wagon
red

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefazek View Post
I would try swapping of a MAF
Check your coil if its bad yet i doubt it when the coil acts up it should geve a CEL
Check for more vacuum leaks i hate to say this.

Hows your temp? a toasted head gasket can be it if its an external it would leave oil in the coolant.

If its a internal leak you could smell exhaust fumes or gas in the your coolant and as the engine idles if you take your radiator cap off give it some throttle if any bubbles come out you got a hot side leak.

If its a hot side leak that is not to big you can give a fix than can last for months to years. Sodium silicate is its name aka water glass, they sell it under a million differnt names for head gasket sealer with price ranging from 10 bucks up to 70 bucks. the over priced stuff is nothing more than marketing and any good sodium silicate sealer will work, around 15 bucks.

Step 1 find the cylinder thats leaking you will remove your spark plugs and look for traces of coolant, one plug will smell like antifreeze and have a little bit of it on the plug too.
Once found remember it

You flush the coolant and replace it with distilled water, i mean flush it good and use chemical flush. now remove the thermostat. Add the sodium silicate and idle the engine untill its warm, now hold the engine at around 1500-2000 rpms for about 15 min, turn off the engine and let cool.

Now remove the spark plug from the cylinder with the leak in it. The engine will run like crap but will still run with gas, hold at 1500-2000 RPMS for another 15-20, It will sound like a WW1 fighter plane but you need the plug out otherwise the cylinder pressure will never allow the sodium silicate to harden at the crack.

Now put the plug back on and drain the water and let the car sit overnight. Put the thermostat back in and ad fresh coolant. If the leak is repairable this will fix it. Otherwise new headgasket time people may talk junk about this but for 30 bucks with coolant and a few hours of you time is that worth 1200 bucks to you if it works?

the trick is removing the plug and flushing the system if you dont do this it cannot and never will work. Also i advise leaking the heater core turned off while doing this but make sure its open when you flush the engine
Ok, i will check for more vacuum leaks and look into a MAF. I do not have access to another MAF so i might end up cracking open my MAF to look for lose wires or what not if I can't find anything else.

I have never even thought to look into that head gasket sealer, but I might definitely give it a try. It would save me the time of doing the head gasket if it works, but I've done head gaskets before so I might just end up doing the gasket for $130 to purchase an upper rebuild kit with all the seals.

Hopefully I will find a solution to this but my optimism is pretty low. I'm starting to look at other craigslist imprezas out there and maybe just replace this.

Quick question about early 2000's 2.5rs and 2.5 wagons: Do those impreza motors have the same problem as the earlier 2.5 motors? If i get another impreza (which i really like these cars) I really don't want to do head gaskets and all that jazz (which is really getting old).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Pablopakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #27
stevefazek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128922

yes the early 2000s DOHC 2.5s still cooked head gaskets my moms did at 75k.
2 different problems i dont remember which years do what but one gen had inner gasket problems and the other outer.
People will debate what is worse, having the engine no over heat but sludging the engine up and corroding the internals from coolant contamination with a outter or over heating the engine and warping the head on a inner. For me if its a beater id rather have an outter than a inner. If your planning to fix it asap then an inner is better i say

While not horrible from my understanding of them is this. People who dont maintain their coolant or ran every electronic accessory at once had this problem. As coolant breaks down it becomes more conductive. As it becomes more conductive it would lead to galvanic corrosion due to move current travelling through the coolant.

There are ways to look for any potential HG leaks like i said, sniff for hydrocarbons in the coolant, make sure the coolant looks fresh, take a compression testing of the engine before you buy it. A friend and you can do it in about 15 min.
stevefazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Antiharper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350489
Vehicle:
09 Impreza 2.5i

Yes they had HG faults up until 2006 then updated gasket came, that's why the Subaru services are important. I'd stay away from sealers. Works great for a GM but I'd fear clogging up small passages for coolant flow, damaging water pump etc.
if you've done the gaskets before and your confident then do them.
You can test the resistance value of the coil with a DVOM ( multi meter) but you'll need to get the right impedance spec.
You can also pull the coil and hold the boot 1/4" from a metal have a buddy hold it while you crank. Should see spark. Coils can go bad when hot aswell but again it should set a code.
I'm wondering if there's an ECM malfunction.
But let's not speculate too much or you'll waste a lot of time and $$ . Get in there on Friday and if he's a good suby tech with good equipment he should be able to narrow it down.
Let us know.
Antiharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Pablopakman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 impreza wagon
red

Thanks for the input. I am waiting for an ebay maf and coil pack. Together they were under $100 so if they dont fix the problem i will return them.

If that doesnt work i might go back to the subaru tech or just take it off the insurance and start parting it out. The problem with the tech is that the experienced tech (28 yrs) is out for a foot surgery. That only leaves the younger tec who i talked to who worked for a subbie dealer and didnt know about 2.2 to 2.5 swaps. He wasnt too confident he could find it either (good discussion, super honest guy). Hopefully the new maf or coil pack will fix it.

As for the head gasket, im not going to touch it until i get the main problem fixed. When i do get to it i will seriously research the sealer. Ive done heads and clutch on a forester so this will be more of the same. My dilema is that this is going to cost more in parts than the car is worth. I need to do the following to the impreza within the next year or soon after:
Head gasket
Brake pads (have parts)
Rotors (have parts)
Struts (have parts)
Ac compressor
4 tires
Cutch....maybe

That is assuming nothing else comes up. Again, hopefully ebay parts will do the trick. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Pablopakman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 impreza wagon
red

Default Update

I got in my ebay MAF yesterday and have been running it since. So far, the super rough running and stalling at lights have gone away... for now. I will start commuting with it this week and see how it goes. Its looking like the main problem was the MAF.

The only slight issue that seems to remain is the idle seems to be lower than before and bounces from about 300-500 rpm. It slows down until its about to stall then pops back up to 500 rpm. It never actually stalls, just bounces. The needle pretty much stays at 500 rpm and doesn't move but you can feel it bouncing.

I still have my ebay coil pack coming and plan on putting that in just to see if it will help. Short of that, does anyone know how to adjust the idle rpm up to about 800? I think might help.

Also, what are your opinions about using a block sealer for the head gasket leak like what was previously recommended?

Thanks again for hanging in there with me and for all of the free advice!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #31
ButtersNZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355910

Sorry if I've missed them but what symptoms told you to check the headgasket? I'm having similar problems with my Impreza and have had no luck with scanning or other things. It has very poor and inconsistent power delivery and runs rough particularly when cold. Just trying to think outside the box on this now.
ButtersNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Pablopakman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 impreza wagon
red

90% of my problems went away when i changed the maf. That i did on a hunch and intuition since there was no check engine light or code to tell me that was it.

As for the head gasket, i figured that was it when my coolant reservoir kept filling up and not going back to my radiator. I diagnosed it by starting the car cold, taking off the radiator cap and reving the engine. I could see exhaust bubbles come up in the radiator so i knew it was an internal gasket leak.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
ButtersNZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355910

Thanks for the reply. I've had my MAF 'checked and cleaned' by my mechanic but just like yours there is no CEL or code, but poor running. I hope I can find one to swap and check just to be sure.
ButtersNZ is offline   Reply With Quote