Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #601
inspire420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147277
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: hawaii
Vehicle:
04 wrx wagon
jbp

Default

Looking to pick up a 05 usdm trans it has shift linkage, axles, rea diff, hubs, clutch slave, starter, and drive shaft. What else would be needed to swap this into a gc chassis(getting all this for $2200), and probably going to pick up a motor maybe ver7 later down the road not sure if any of this is possible.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
inspire420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #602
LVBugEyed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186870
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
OBP

Default

Is the speedo plug and play when putting a 2005 sti transmission in a 2010 wrx?
LVBugEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #603
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR Rally/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBugEyed View Post
Is the speedo plug and play when putting a 2005 sti transmission in a 2010 wrx?
Contact xluben on here think he has done that swap before.
sackytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #604
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

Just trashed my 2002 WRX transmission, looking for the best option to not replace any axles, hubs, brakes or rear diff. A few pros and cons I can think of from reading this post.

JDM V7 non-dccd 6 speed
-not sure about this, just found one on ebay for a reasonable price, does anyone have any info on this? Will it require different axles, driveshaft or rear diff?

Early 2004 USDM 6 speed
-will need a 2004 clutch slave cylinder
-requires a different rear diff or change the ring and pinion to 3.90

2006 or 2007 USDM 6 speed
-don't need to change rear diff ratio
-uses stock 2002 slave cylinder
-will need 2004 axle stubs, seals and circlips

Can anyone correct or add anything here? Thanks
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #605
Justin V
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98747
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: GA
Vehicle:
07 WRX
WRB

Default

if you change the rear diff to a r180 you have to get hybrid axles or sti axles and sti suspension uprights.

Don't know much about the jdm swaps

I thought only 07 had the revised final drive that works with a wrx rear diff.

I think any of them need the driveshaft, I think the length of the 6spd is longer or something.

A clutch slave cylinder shouldn't deter you they're like $30 and might be bolted to the tranny you buy anyways if its used.

Front axles I'm lost on I think wrx ones work, but I could be wrong and they only work with the 04 tranny's

I think the axle stuff is mostly and matter of lug pattern so the jdm might be the easiest swap
Justin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #606
SneakySh0rty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280516
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lake Shore, MD
Vehicle:
03 WRX v9 trans
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
Just trashed my 2002 WRX transmission, looking for the best option to not replace any axles, hubs, brakes or rear diff. A few pros and cons I can think of from reading this post.

JDM V7 non-dccd 6 speed
-not sure about this, just found one on ebay for a reasonable price, does anyone have any info on this? Will it require different axles, driveshaft or rear diff?

Early 2004 USDM 6 speed
-will need a 2004 clutch slave cylinder
-requires a different rear diff or change the ring and pinion to 3.90

2006 or 2007 USDM 6 speed
-don't need to change rear diff ratio
-uses stock 2002 slave cylinder
-will need 2004 axle stubs, seals and circlips

Can anyone correct or add anything here? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin V View Post
if you change the rear diff to a r180 you have to get hybrid axles or sti axles and sti suspension uprights.

Don't know much about the jdm swaps

I thought only 07 had the revised final drive that works with a wrx rear diff.

I think any of them need the driveshaft, I think the length of the 6spd is longer or something.

A clutch slave cylinder shouldn't deter you they're like $30 and might be bolted to the tranny you buy anyways if its used.

Front axles I'm lost on I think wrx ones work, but I could be wrong and they only work with the 04 tranny's

I think the axle stuff is mostly and matter of lug pattern so the jdm might be the easiest swap
...Lets clear this up so you are not led down the wrong direction. I dont want you to be mislead by the comment above.
If you choose to use the r180, you have 2 options, either use hybrid axles that allow you to keep your wrx hubs OR use sti hubs/etc and use the STi axles. Depending on goals for your car look into either DSS hybrid axles or even suberdave's custom races, which allows you to create your own hybrid axles.

But since you want to reuse many parts, Yes 06/07 have the save transfer ratio and final drive as the 02/03 wrxs. You can use your r160

As for the slave cylinder, you honestly dont need a new one. but its an inexpensive piece to replace while doing the work. My sti slave cylinder seals failed, so i just reused my 03 wrx ones.

Driveshafts, 6speed require you to use an STi one or an automatic wrx driveshaft. In my opinion though its good to match parts with model years though. I seem to remember discrepancies of bolt sizes from the ds to rear dif flange. The mounting holes are bigger/smaller than the other is some cases.

One suggestion, the little window on that attaches to the engine side of the trans. I had to switch mine to an STi one to fit my STI flywheel and pressure plate.

Axles, you're on the right track. 04 sti axles stubs, clips, and proper side specific oil seals, you can re use your wrx axles. Again the guy above is incorrect with axles only working on 04s. I put 04 STi stubs into a ver9 trans perfectly, no leaks no fuss. When inserting the new oil seals, careful about inserting the axles stubs, i had to replace one seal due to carelessness of putting in the axle stub. You dont have to worry about lug pattern since you are: reusing an r160 and front and rear axles.

there are other threads mentioned in this one, give them a look over. Definitely helped me when I did my swap myself. Especially Wrinkleboi's literature. If you dont want to use NASIOCs search function to find the big helpful threads, just use google to search nasioc for them. If you want to double check transmission IDs for specs/compatibilities/etc, RalliSpec has a pdf of them somewhere on NASIOC.
SneakySh0rty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #607
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySh0rty View Post
...Driveshafts, 6speed require you to use an STi one or an automatic wrx driveshaft. In my opinion though its good to match parts with model years though. I seem to remember discrepancies of bolt sizes from the ds to rear dif flange. The mounting holes are bigger/smaller than the other is some cases....
good useful post Christian, I take it your car is up an running by now.
As you noted the STi and auto drive shafts both fulfill the length requirement. The STI drive shaft will have a larger bolt circle diameter (bcd) that will mate up to the R180 rear companion flange. The auto drive shaft will have the smaller bcd that will mate to the R160 rear companion flange. You can swap the large and smaller companion flanges onto any R160 or R180 you are using. You can get the companion flange part numbers off of threads or opposed forces. They usually run $80 new and significantly cheaper used if you can find them. Some have mitigated this by enlarging the holes to fir the bolts...I do not recommend that. G E T T O
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #608
Justin V
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98747
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: GA
Vehicle:
07 WRX
WRB

Default

wow throw me under the bus

the only differing thing I can find in your post that is not in mine is that the 06 tranny works with the r160 diff

JDM tranny- tranny and driveshaft
04 tranny- tranny, ds, and rear diff and axles (either option)
05 tranny- tranny, ds, rear diff and axles (either option), and 04 tranny front input stubs
06 tranny- tranny, ds, and 04 tranny front input stubs
07 tranny- tranny, ds, and 04 tranny front input stubs

All need a new flywheel and clutch, slave cylinder still is not a big deal
Justin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #609
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

I have a source for an early 2004 6 speed with around 90k kms or like 55k miles. New axle stubs, seals and clips. Auto wrx driveshaft, group n mount, kartboy short shifter, slave cylinder, shift linkage.

Everything except rear diff, I have the stock R-160, which I guess is 3.54 ratio, how can I change to 3.90 and reuse my axles?

Thanks for the great responses!
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #610
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
I have a source for an early 2004 6 speed with around 90k kms or like 55k miles. New axle stubs, seals and clips. Auto wrx driveshaft, group n mount, kartboy short shifter, slave cylinder, shift linkage. Everything except rear diff, are there ways to change the rear diff ratio to 3.90?

Thanks for the great responses!
You can swap the ring and pinion but it really isn't worth the cost/effort. Plus that really isn't a DIY'er project since it requires special tools to set the pinion depth.
You best bet is to look for a 3.90 ratio R160 out of the automatic Leggys and such. These will have an open diff (which isn't much different than the useless VLSD) and will bolt directly to your car, existing rear axles, and an auto driveshaft. SIMPLE, done, and will hold up to 80% of the daily drivers out there. **Later on have a real rear LSD swapped in place of the open diff.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #611
SneakySh0rty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280516
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lake Shore, MD
Vehicle:
03 WRX v9 trans
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
good useful post Christian, I take it your car is up an running by now.
As you noted the STi and auto drive shafts both fulfill the length requirement. The STI drive shaft will have a larger bolt circle diameter (bcd) that will mate up to the R180 rear companion flange. The auto drive shaft will have the smaller bcd that will mate to the R160 rear companion flange. You can swap the large and smaller companion flanges onto any R160 or R180 you are using. You can get the companion flange part numbers off of threads or opposed forces. They usually run $80 new and significantly cheaper used if you can find them. Some have mitigated this by enlarging the holes to fir the bolts...I do not recommend that. G E T T O

Yes sir! finished it and been loving it. Thank you again for all the help you gave me in figuring out the electrical side and in general. Almost everything is working without a kink. I think some of my wires for my dccdpro might've gotten snagged/damaged when i hooked them up to my sti cluster when i repinned the plugs and soldered extension wires to reach the controller. Im noticing fewer lights working than before XD. It been warming up lately so cant wait to work on the car in warm weather. Never again will i attempt to work on my car on a driveway in 30 to mid-teen temps.

Note to all, if you need the electrical/wiring standpoint JarHarms is your man. read his threads about switches, flanges, pretty much anything swap related.
SneakySh0rty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #612
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
You best bet is to look for a 3.90 ratio R160 out of the automatic Leggys and such. These will have an open diff (which isn't much different than the useless VLSD) and will bolt directly to your car, existing rear axles, and an auto driveshaft. SIMPLE, done, and will hold up to 80% of the daily drivers out there. **Later on have a real rear LSD swapped in place of the open diff.
This seems to solve everything. What year range of auto legacy diff would work? There are a ton of them around here so there is bound to be a few in the wreckers. Thanks
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #613
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

My tranny is completely ruined now, I was hoping to limp it around for a couple more days..

I am trying to find a 3.90 R160, will it say these numbers on the case? The wreckers I called have no idea what I need and are asking for year and model info.. Can anyone shine any light on this?

I'm also reading conflicting information of whether I can use my stock 3.54 R160 or I need to change to 3.90

Looking at North Ursalia's transmission chart, it says 2002 WRX final drive is 3.90. I am so confused! http://northursalia.com/techdocs/tra...rannychart.pdf

Last edited by brett192; 04-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #614
aboothman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127745
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Humboldt County
Vehicle:
06 WRX 30r 6 speed
99L EJ255 6 Speed

Default

06-07 STI 6 speed will use your stock WRX 3.54 R160

It is confusing because 02-05 WRX, and 06-07 STI, have a 3.90 final drive...but there is a "stepper" gear that further reduces the ratio to 3.54 for the rear diff. All that matters is the ratio going to the rear diff. Simple version: 02-05 WRX and 06-07 STI have 3.54 rear diffs.

As for the 3.90, this was found in USDM 04-05 STI, 1995-2001 Imprezas with the 1.8 and 2.2 engines. The RS had a 4.11, as did most of the auto tranny Imprezas. Stick with the 1999-2001 as the 98 and earlier used a different style rear diff that may not work with your axles.

Various Legacy and Outback models had a 3.90 as well. I believe it also depended on the engine.

Read the chart here. When you find a 3.90 final drive, look next to it and make sure the "TR" is 1, NOT 1.1
http://spda-online.ca/content.php?44-transmission-chart

IMO your easiest option is to get the USDM 06-07 STI trans. They have better synchros and will drop right in with your current rear diff. NEVER run the wrong rear diff...you will destroy a very expensive and difficult to replace center diff!!
aboothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #615
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

I would love to get a 06 or 07 tranny, but theres an early 2004 for $2500 locally with clutch fork, slave cylinder, auto driveshaft, group-n mount, shifter linkage, kartboy short throw shifter, reverse lockout, shift knob. Code TY856WH3MA

All I think I'd need is a 3.90 R160 rear diff and the leather shifter boot (not important), correct?

Questions:
Will the auto driveshaft bolt up to any R160 diff or will only certain years and models work? If the latter, does anyone know what year range of what models will work?

Will my OEM 2002 WRX clutch work with the 2004 bell housing and fork/slave cylinder? Some say yes, some say no..

Thanks again for the great info. I only have this one car, and obviously need it back on the road ASAP. No time to mess around with parts that aren't compatible.
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #616
SneakySh0rty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280516
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lake Shore, MD
Vehicle:
03 WRX v9 trans
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
Questions:
Will the auto driveshaft bolt up to any R160 diff or will only certain years and models work? If the latter, does anyone know what year range of what models will work?

Will my OEM 2002 WRX clutch work with the 2004 bell housing and fork/slave cylinder? Some say yes, some say no..

Thanks again for the great info. I only have this one car, and obviously need it back on the road ASAP. No time to mess around with parts that aren't compatible.
Unsure about the first question. Check JarHarms' threads or ask him via PM. he knows a lot about the flanges/driveshafts

Second question. Yes, you can reuse your clutch,flywheel, and pressure plate. Slave cylinder doesnt matter between the STis and 02-05wrx, they are both pull type clutches It has to be all 5spd or all 6spd, no mixing for that. In my opinion though, it's easier to change those things to a 6sp clutch/flywheel/pp. Then you can sell off your used used 5spd clutch assembly.

I understand you want to get your car back on the road, especially with it being your only car. But I feel as if there iare other options you could explore. If you want your car back on the road ASAP, buy a better conditioned 5spd? that way itll be only a few hundred bucks and nothing else needs to be changed. Then save up for doing the 6spd swap later down the road. Or, I know you're in a hurry, but definitely check out the vendor section. My friend went with this vendor: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2162945

He told me hes getting: 6 speed trans, clutch assembly, shifter assembly, slave cylinder, drive shaft, rear diff, front and rear hubs, front and rear axles for 3.5k shipped. Yes a lot more money, but at the same time the parts you dont use can be sold off. But double check with the vendor what exact parts come in the trans package.

yea you wont have a group n trans mount or a short shifter. but those are accessories you can easily install later down the road. Good luck either way
SneakySh0rty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #617
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR Rally/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
My tranny is completely ruined now, I was hoping to limp it around for a couple more days..

I am trying to find a 3.90 R160, will it say these numbers on the case? The wreckers I called have no idea what I need and are asking for year and model info.. Can anyone shine any light on this?

I'm also reading conflicting information of whether I can use my stock 3.54 R160 or I need to change to 3.90

Looking at North Ursalia's transmission chart, it says 2002 WRX final drive is 3.90. I am so confused! http://northursalia.com/techdocs/tra...rannychart.pdf
So what rear diff were you using?
sackytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #618
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Will the auto driveshaft bolt up to any R160 diff or will only certain years and models work? Generally all the R160's have the smaller companion flange.
-There may be a strange exception out there but I don't think it's enough to worry about.

Will my OEM 2002 WRX clutch work with the 2004 (do you mean 2004 STI 6MT?) bell housing and fork/slave cylinder? Some say yes, some say no.
-As noted, your 2002 5MT is a pull clutch and the 2004 6MT is also a pull clutch. You can indeed leave the 5MT flywheel on your engine, use your existing 5MT clutch (pp/disk/tob), use your existing 5MT slave cylinder, and use the clutch fork that comes with the 6MT.
-Or you can choose to upgrade to a 6MT clutch including the flywheel, clutch (disk, pp, tob), and a few extra PP bolts.

I only have this one car, and obviously need it back on the road ASAP. No time to mess around with parts that aren't compatible.
-Understandable, no one wants to drive their back-up moped to work everyday.
-I second the suggestion to just find a good condition 2002-05 5MT to swap directly in place. I will get you up and running sooner and it allows you to collect 6MT parts at your leasure or as deals pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
So what rear diff were you using?
I think his 2002 5MT is fully trashed since he was probably still daily driving it. It is not a wrong rear diff with wrong trans swap issue, although it sounded that was on my first reading of that post too.

Last edited by JarHarms; 04-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #619
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

Hey thanks for the awesome replies! My front diff crown gear blew 4 teeth the other day plus a few others... I have the stock 3.54 R-160 in the car still

I'm looking at an early 2004 sti 6 speed with everything I need except a rear diff. I need to find a 3.90 R-160 from an older legacy or forester? Does anyone know what years of models have this diff?
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #620
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboothman View Post
.....As for the 3.90, this was found in USDM 04-05 STI, 1995-2001 Imprezas with the 1.8 and 2.2 engines. The RS had a 4.11, as did most of the auto tranny Imprezas. Stick with the 1999-2001 as the 98 and earlier used a different style rear diff that may not work with your axles.

Various Legacy and Outback models had a 3.90 as well. I believe it also depended on the engine.

Read the chart here. When you find a 3.90 final drive, look next to it and make sure the "TR" is 1, NOT 1.1
http://spda-online.ca/content.php?44-transmission-chart....
Seems like a pretty generous point to start looking for your rear diff.

v - and expensive too

Last edited by JarHarms; 04-11-2013 at 01:22 PM.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #621
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR Rally/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Yeah really do your research and make sure you have the correct info before hitting any salvage yards. Is a headache if you don't.
sackytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #622
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

I called one auto wrecker and he said any diff from a 2002-2011 impreza 2.5 non turbo manual will work, as well as 1999-2007 outback and TS manual. This was using his parts interchange program.

Then I called another wrecker that has a few various subarus and this guy tells me the opposite and that everything either has a 3.55, 4.11 or 4.5 ratio.. WTF

Here's the list I have made:
1999 to 2001 Impreza with 1.8 or 2.2 litre engine
2002 to 2004 Impreza TS or Impreza Outback
1999 Legacy
2000 to 2002 Legacy L or Brighton
2001 to 2002 Legacy Outback


***Incase anyone is confused reading my post, I'm looking for a 3.90 R-160 diff so I can swap a 2004 sti 6 speed into my 2002 wrx.***

Last edited by brett192; 04-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #623
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd SGM 6MT
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett192 View Post
.... this guy tells me the opposite and that everything either has a 3.55, 4.11 or 4.5 ratio.. WTF....
I agree WTF. Looks like he is talking domestic rear axle ratios to me.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #624
02RexWI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165141
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: WI
Default

If you're planning on launching your car I would stay away from legacy differentials. The spider (plantery) gears are VERY prone to breaking.
02RexWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #625
brett192
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274252
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan PSM
Stage 2 w/ 6 speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02RexWI View Post
If you're planning on launching your car I would stay away from legacy differentials. The spider (plantery) gears are VERY prone to breaking.
While I do not plan on launching the car ever, I don't exactly want something that's weak.. Are you saying the Impreza diffs are stronger?
brett192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STi 6 speed into WRX swap clutch options? Bayley Subaru Conversions 13 03-30-2014 02:02 PM
FOR SALE 06 STI 6 speed transmission wrx swap!!! felixwankel88 Drivetrain 10 09-06-2009 08:26 PM
Nuts and Bolts of a 07 STi 6 Speed into an 04 WRX knakai1 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 11 05-13-2008 10:04 PM
FS: MD brand new exedy twin disc for 04-06 sti 6 speed $1200 sr55stiguy Drivetrain 14 09-02-2007 03:03 PM
SPT short throw shifter for 04/05 STi 6-speed tranny JDM addict Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 28 09-17-2004 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.