Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #4951
Shawn S
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 130665
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Veloster Turbo
2006 Z51 Corvette

Default

Just so everyone knows, the engine replacement DOES show up on a CARFAX report.
Something to keep in mind when you go to sell your car.
I recently traded my 2009 WRX and the dealer where itís for sale now has the CARFAX posted for the car.
Note the report at 47,775.

Shawn S


* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Shawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #4952
cmattfletcher
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337068
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NPR, FL
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Silver

Exclamation

I purchased a stock 2009 WRX on 10/22/12 and I experienced a second (2nd) engine failure on 02/25/13.

Problem: Extremely excessive oil consumption.
Mileage: 58,025
VIN: 9G809474
Build Date: 10/08
Official cause: Leak down test: CYL 1 is 65% CYL 2 is 28% and CYL 4 is 28% only CYL 3 is 5% - removed motor and cylinder head to inspect pistons, found cracked.
Fix: Replaced cylinder 1/2/4 pistons
Time out of service: 24 days... 02/25/13 - 03/21/13
cmattfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #4953
melm78
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290919
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default Again???

Had my bearing spin at 50,051 miles, SOA provided a remaned engine and a year and a half later (27,516 miles) spun again. WTF
melm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #4954
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melm78 View Post
Had my bearing spin at 50,051 miles, SOA provided a remaned engine and a year and a half later (27,516 miles) spun again. WTF
When did you get the first engine replaced? Also, what oil and fuel are you using? Two engine failures due to spun bearings over the course of 75K miles seems out of the ordinary.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #4955
TuningIsLife
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 191380
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Hydro Blue

Default

I am amazed that this thread is still going.

So my second 09 WRX. Just had the timing belt shredded at 61K mi. No warning, just died on the highway. Guys over at Mach V took a look at it for me.

Never seen a car with a reputation for not breaking have so many issues.
TuningIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #4956
Chaconer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354064
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2009 Wrx sti
Pearl white

Default 09 STI engine failure...new 2 subie land....

I just purchased my car 3wks ago. This last wednesday on my way to wrk
Noticed lose of power and a few miles later tons of white smoke out of the exhaust.

Turns out my #4cyl has 0 compresion and #2cyl has only 60%.
they still havnt pulled engine out to see the damage inside. Dealer thinks this is the en of my motor.

what should I request from the dealer a brand new engine/or rebuilt one.
And is there anything else I should be worried about? I.e the turbo or or transmission?

Thanks for any advice....

2009 wrx sti
49k miles
Apparently had previous engine wrk done @subaru dealer (not on carfax)
Chaconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #4957
Chaconer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354064
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2009 Wrx sti
Pearl white

Default 09 wrx sti engine or 2010

Hi everyone,
I just had my engine blow about a week ago. I need help trying to figure out whether I should let the dealer rebuild my 09 motor or demad that I get a brand new engine. Ive seen other people get their motor replaced by SOA with a 2010 engine, maybe thats an option
What would ypu guys reccoment? Need some advice please.
Chaconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #4958
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaconer View Post
I just purchased my car 3wks ago. This last wednesday on my way to wrk
Noticed lose of power and a few miles later tons of white smoke out of the exhaust.

Turns out my #4cyl has 0 compresion and #2cyl has only 60%.
they still havnt pulled engine out to see the damage inside. Dealer thinks this is the en of my motor.

what should I request from the dealer a brand new engine/or rebuilt one.
And is there anything else I should be worried about? I.e the turbo or or transmission?

Thanks for any advice....

2009 wrx sti
49k miles
Apparently had previous engine wrk done @subaru dealer (not on carfax)
You can request all you want. The dealer can only do what SOA approves/authorizes.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #4959
Chaconer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354064
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2009 Wrx sti
Pearl white

Default What would you be comfortable with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
You can request all you want. The dealer can only do what SOA approves/authorizes.

Yea thats true, but if this happen to you and this was your car what would you accept as a repair? I mean I traded my can and gave 2k as a down payment. I just want to make sure surw that im getting what due.
Thanks again for for any advive.
Chaconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #4960
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaconer View Post
Yea thats true, but if this happen to you and this was your car what would you accept as a repair? I mean I traded my can and gave 2k as a down payment. I just want to make sure surw that im getting what due.
Thanks again for for any advive.
I am the wrong person to ask this question to but so be it
If this was to happen to me, yes I would and here is why. The manufacturer is required to do one thing, fix your vehicle to where it conforms to standards prior to it breaking at no cost to the owner. If that requires a short block, then so be it. If it requires a long block, then so be it. They will also be inspecting the turbo and other components as well to make sure there are no further issues.

There is no need to worry about the transmission as it is a separate component and isn't affected.

Now there is nothing wrong with asking for them to extend the powertrain coverage to 100k being this is a known problem they have had.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #4961
gmancari
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324631
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

Just got my oil sample back from blackstone, they found 5 parts per million of silver in the sample. I realize that engines should have zero, but does anyone know relatively how much that is in relation to wearing of the bearings?

09 WRX with 51750 miles.
gmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #4962
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Meridian, ID
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Good question.
5ppm silver is the most my oil has ever shown. Which was back at 25K miles. Last change (50K miles) showed 2ppm.
It seems to have been slowly dropping since that peak.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #4963
sleeplessinsandiego
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355519
Join Date: May 2013
Default

New here...but just wanted to a quick post together to share my Subaru Experience.

Info:
2006 Impreza Wagon WRX Ltd
Vin: JF1GG79656H813182

- At 55k Checking Engine Light - Secondary Air Valves Replaced
- Check Engine light came back on and off for the next 40,000 miles with no Subaru service center ever able to fix - Secondary Air Valve issue
- They replaced the valve each time (charging me) because each time it was out of warranty.
- Eventually they replaced the Air Pump after a rattling noise started coming from it.
- Finally the death spiral came after my 90k service (where they said "Engine is running great", then 6k miles later there was low compression in the cylander.

I've had every oil change and service. The majority of miles were freeway.
I spent over 4,000 dollars trying to fix the Check Engine Light issue, ultimately ending with low compression and another 2500 dollar bill.

I called Subaru of America, and they said they would not offer any finally assistance due to high mileage. Spoke to Linda and Rich.

Instead of fixing repairing the engine, I traded in my lemon and got Toyota truck.

Sad part is I loved the car and bought it because I heard it has great reliability...but I will never go back to Subaru again. Crappy customer service from both ends. All of the issues may have been unrelated, but in the end I felt like I got ripped off.
sleeplessinsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #4964
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

By the looks of your post you were around 100-101k on the odometer. Did you really expect Subaru to pay for repairs that are way out of warranty? It does suck, and very unfortunate.

I hope you did not get a 2007-2010 Tundra because those have Air pump issues as well.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #4965
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Essex, MD
Vehicle:
2009 Stage eleventy
billion WRB WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinsandiego View Post
New here...but just wanted to a quick post together to share my Subaru Experience.

Info:
2006 Impreza Wagon WRX Ltd
Vin: JF1GG79656H813182

- At 55k Checking Engine Light - Secondary Air Valves Replaced
- Check Engine light came back on and off for the next 40,000 miles with no Subaru service center ever able to fix - Secondary Air Valve issue
- They replaced the valve each time (charging me) because each time it was out of warranty.
- Eventually they replaced the Air Pump after a rattling noise started coming from it.
- Finally the death spiral came after my 90k service (where they said "Engine is running great", then 6k miles later there was low compression in the cylander.

I've had every oil change and service. The majority of miles were freeway.
I spent over 4,000 dollars trying to fix the Check Engine Light issue, ultimately ending with low compression and another 2500 dollar bill.

I called Subaru of America, and they said they would not offer any finally assistance due to high mileage. Spoke to Linda and Rich.

Instead of fixing repairing the engine, I traded in my lemon and got Toyota truck.

Sad part is I loved the car and bought it because I heard it has great reliability...but I will never go back to Subaru again. Crappy customer service from both ends. All of the issues may have been unrelated, but in the end I felt like I got ripped off.
This thread is ONLY for 2009 WRX models.

In the future, put up more of a fight when the dealer can't fix a problem.
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #4966
sleeplessinsandiego
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355519
Join Date: May 2013
Default

Sorry...I should have started a new thread my bad. It had 95k when the engine went. Just was upset that multiple Subaru dealers couldn't fix my check engine light and then when the engine goes Subaru of America wouldn't help. Area manager said he'd never seen anything like it.

I'll stop now, because I don't want to derail thread on 09 vehicles.

I got a Tacoma..thx for the heads up tho...and bumper to bumper warranty :-)
sleeplessinsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #4967
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinsandiego View Post
I got a Tacoma..thx for the heads up tho...and bumper to bumper warranty :-)
Good deal. Unless it is new, you do NOT have a bumper to bumper warranty
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #4968
Economatic
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220091
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmancari View Post
Just got my oil sample back from blackstone, they found 5 parts per million of silver in the sample. I realize that engines should have zero, but does anyone know relatively how much that is in relation to wearing of the bearings?

09 WRX with 51750 miles.
Mine was running about the same amount of silver just before it failed at 12k.
Economatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #4969
Wrx_FoSho
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277108
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Illinois
Vehicle:
09 Wrx Hatch
Grey

Default

2009 wrx 58,000 miles.
lose of power and engine rattle/shut off.
Metal Shaving on dipstick.

Stage 3
Wrx_FoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #4970
gmancari
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324631
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx_FoSho View Post
2009 wrx 58,000 miles.
lose of power and engine rattle/shut off.
Metal Shaving on dipstick.

Stage 3

Keep us updating on whether or not SOA covers the engine failure at stage 3
gmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #4971
Lord Quas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352972
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmancari View Post

Keep us updating on whether or not SOA covers the engine failure at stage 3
Whenever i see SOA i think of Sons of Anarchy lol
Lord Quas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #4972
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Quas View Post

Whenever i see SOA i think of Sons of Anarchy lol
LOL - me too - kind of! Whenever I see a reference to that show I think of Subaru!
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #4973
appjoe2004
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 287455
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2010 wrx m7960 tomei
obp

Default

i figured id throw my two cents in also. my 2010 wrx with 37,271 miles is at my tuners getting fully rebuilt, forged pistons/rods, the full bit because it actually cost the same to have them rebuild it forged, rather than have the dealership put oem crap back in it. Im probably writing soa , for what it will accomplish, which is nothing im sure. but just to get this off my chest. this is crazy. between my tuner, and two local dealerships, over 46 rebuilds of the 08+ wrx/sti, and 75% of them were completely bone stock. I love my sub, but I just dont get it.
appjoe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #4974
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Meridian, ID
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Latest oil test. Still running strong at 54K miles...

Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #4975
gmancari
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324631
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

Looks good....I think?
gmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Impreza WRX Short Take Road Test: Faster to 60 than the STI CARandDRIVER NASIOC Official News, Articles and Polls 143 09-25-2010 06:14 AM
Official 2009 Impreza WRX - 265HP (Info & Pics) SOA Blog News & Rumors 3274 01-08-2009 09:20 PM
FS: 2009 Impreza WRX - wrecked/donor car - Perfect for swap - $8000 obo ProdriveRex Private Vehicle 'For Sale' Classifieds 51 01-05-2009 02:53 PM
2002 wrx motor issue??? AWD0425 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 39 11-13-2008 05:46 PM
2009 Impreza WRX PBB (Unofficial Pandog Bluebook/Buyer's Guide) Pandog24 News & Rumors 95 11-02-2008 05:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.