Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #1576
swpshgnwgn
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 150494
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Scituate, MA
Vehicle:
11 WRX
SWP Torqued Stg II

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 HKS WRX View Post
That's a setup I'd love to hear, if you have the time to post a video. I bet opening up the DP let's the boxer rumble come through a little more, without being too loud.

That's why I'm hanging onto my stock mufflers. Once I add the DP and go Stage 2, it might be too loud for me (and by "me," I mean my girlfriend and neighbors).
I'm catted and it's a good amount louder than with the stock downpipe. I kept my stock mufflers for the same reason and think I might try putting those back on to see how it sounds.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
swpshgnwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #1577
2002 HKS WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 86308
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpshgnwgn View Post
I'm catted and it's a good amount louder than with the stock downpipe. I kept my stock mufflers for the same reason and think I might try putting those back on to see how it sounds.
If you do, it would be awesome if you did a video showing the difference.

I'm thinking about going stage 2 and keeping the Nameless Midpipe, but reverting to the stock mufflers so I can keep the peace.
2002 HKS WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #1578
mclrn227
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 83441
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Joliet, IL
Vehicle:
2013 5DR WRX
SWP

Default

Just got my GR axle back yesterday with 5" mufflers and quad staggered single-walled tips. I couldn't wait and installed it when I got home from work. AHHHH the bassy drone. Everything else is perfect. But, anything under 3k rpms sounds like I'm riding in a helicopter filled with 12" subs. I guess it's to be expected in the hatchback though. So, I just ordered some
MLV on AmazonMLV on Amazon
to put down under the spare and I think that will really make it perfect. The sound is great. I just need to cut down on the bass.
mclrn227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #1579
redline23
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 285799
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: La Crosse, WI
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclrn227 View Post
Just got my GR axle back yesterday with 5" mufflers and quad staggered single-walled tips. I couldn't wait and installed it when I got home from work. AHHHH the bassy drone. Everything else is perfect. But, anything under 3k rpms sounds like I'm riding in a helicopter filled with 12" subs. I guess it's to be expected in the hatchback though. So, I just ordered some Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKCP12-RoadKill-Carpet-Pad/dp/B001TH8OC4 to put down under the spare and I think that will really make it perfect. The sound is great. I just need to cut down on the bass.
I have the nameless catback with 5" mufflers on my GR hatch. I've had it for a few months and I do not have anything like you are describing. I had just axleback on for a bit as well. The only time where I get a lot of noise is above 3500 RPM and cold idle. You shoudl check to make sure you tightened it properly to the midpipe.
redline23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #1580
mclrn227
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 83441
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Joliet, IL
Vehicle:
2013 5DR WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline23 View Post
I have the nameless catback with 5" mufflers on my GR hatch. I've had it for a few months and I do not have anything like you are describing. I had just axleback on for a bit as well. The only time where I get a lot of noise is above 3500 RPM and cold idle. You shoudl check to make sure you tightened it properly to the midpipe.
Well, it took about an hour to get the two nuts off even though she only has 9k miles. I picked up some new bolts and nuts and really cranked them down as much as I could. This was my first exhaust install though and I did finish in the dark. I guess I'll put it on ramps again on Saturday and take a look. I did notice that the gasket they provided was a little wider than the stock midpipe end.

I have noticed a mixture of people like us in this thread.. One person hears loud boomy bass and another doesn't. Oddly enough, my girlfriend thinks it's perfect. IMO my drive to work today was a little annoying though.

Edit: While working on it, I gave it a couple revs with no axle back just to hear how it sounded, and it honestly doesn't sound a whole lot quieter with the nameless axle back on. So, maybe there's a leak at that gasket... I'll report back when I know more.

Edit 2: Crawled under the car after work. I could only tighten the nuts down about 1/16th rotation more. I noticed that the heat shield above could possibly be amplifying the bass. The passenger side muffler is only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the shield. I looked everything over again and nothing stood out as odd to me. I guess I'll see if the tone changes over time and I'll add that MLV on Friday or Saturday. The growl is incredible. I want to just keep changing through the gears to hear it. Caught myself going too fast a couple times.

Edit 3: I have realized that it has not gotten any better. I'm just getting better at tuning it out. I had my girlfriend do a couple laps around the block while I stood on the curb and I'm fairly confident that the boomy bits are louder inside the car than outside.

Last edited by mclrn227; 03-21-2013 at 09:00 AM.
mclrn227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #1581
redline23
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 285799
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: La Crosse, WI
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-Door
WRB

Default

When I did the install I did a short drive with stock midpipe and no axleback, stock midpipe and nameless axleback, nameless midpipe and no muffler and nameless midpipe and nameless axleback.

Stock midpipe with no muffler was a bit boomy, but not too loud. Nameless midpipe with no muffler was stupid loud. I felt like everyone was staring at me.
When i put the nameless on the stock midpipe, I did feel like it quieted it down a bit, however, it was also a more refined sound.

I would say give it a few heat cycles to break in as well. I thought it was really loud at first too. Now, I both wish and don't wish it was louder. Depends on the occasion.
redline23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #1582
BubbaFNSmith
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 352192
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
SWP

Default

Is the muffler delete too loud? I see more and more folks going with the muffled versions of the axelback. I am now concerned seeing as I ordered one without the muffler ( The Delete).

I hope it's not too intense for my Apt complex.

I've been trying to watch as many videos on youtube but I don't think it'll do it justice in person.

Anyone have some feedback for just the Muffler Delete?
BubbaFNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #1583
Chrisf4i
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)
 
Member#: 330313
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaFNSmith View Post
Is the muffler delete too loud? I see more and more folks going with the muffled versions of the axelback. I am now concerned seeing as I ordered one without the muffler ( The Delete).

I hope it's not too intense for my Apt complex.

I've been trying to watch as many videos on youtube but I don't think it'll do it justice in person.

Anyone have some feedback for just the Muffler Delete?
I wouldn't worry about your apartment complex as long as you don't be a doucher. I live in an apartment and I take it easy coming and going. I do however, feel that it is too loud when on the highway. If I could go back I would've bought the muffled version.
Chrisf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #1584
honestabe
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 261730
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
WRB

Default

Sedan or hatch? Big difference!
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1585
BubbaFNSmith
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 352192
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
SWP

Default

I have the sedan.
BubbaFNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #1586
Capt_Hindsight
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 350049
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: US of A
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

I was convinced my wife was going to say it was too loud - but she just said, "it's loud but not too loud." And a few females at my work said the same thing. All the guys I know, of course, say it sounds awesome.

My wife said she doesn't mind it because it's a nice low bass sound and not a high pitch noise you get with other 4 cylinder cars when you throw an aftermarket exhaust part on.
Capt_Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1587
NamelessPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 273281
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: La Center, WA
Vehicle:
2015 DGM WRX
05LGT 13BRZ 14BRZ

Default

All of these people are right. You keep the R's low and it'll be fine for your neighbors. I'd also recommend not firing the car up and letting it cold start idle for an extended period of time before work, etc. Best way to start the car is fire it up, blip the throttle and it'll fall out of cold start mode (which is effectively higher rpm and retarded spark timing to fire off the cats for better emissions). The spark timing, cam timing and rpm all contribute to a fairly loud cold starting exhaust note.

Jason
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Portland, OR or Seattle, WA?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NamelessPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #1588
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (45)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 HKS WRX View Post
That's a setup I'd love to hear, if you have the time to post a video. I bet opening up the DP let's the boxer rumble come through a little more, without being too loud.

That's why I'm hanging onto my stock mufflers. Once I add the DP and go Stage 2, it might be too loud for me (and by "me," I mean my girlfriend and neighbors).
I'll do this tomorrow. PM me your email address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPerformance View Post
All of these people are right. You keep the R's low and it'll be fine for your neighbors. I'd also recommend not firing the car up and letting it cold start idle for an extended period of time before work, etc. Best way to start the car is fire it up, blip the throttle and it'll fall out of cold start mode (which is effectively higher rpm and retarded spark timing to fire off the cats for better emissions). The spark timing, cam timing and rpm all contribute to a fairly loud cold starting exhaust note.

Jason
^^This is what has had me out of two exhausts so far. That loud Blab Blab Blab cold start sound is ferocious if you are catless and have really free flowing exhaust cans.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #1589
Chrisf4i
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)
 
Member#: 330313
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Took a couple videos of my axleback muffler delete.




Chrisf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #1590
k757
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 274785
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Danbury, CT
Vehicle:
2014 Ford Fiesta ST

Default

I have indirectly sold more axlebacks than I can remember. I get multiple people come ask me what my exhaust is at each auto-x event I do.
k757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #1591
NamelessPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 273281
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: La Center, WA
Vehicle:
2015 DGM WRX
05LGT 13BRZ 14BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
^^This is what has had me out of two exhausts so far. That loud Blab Blab Blab cold start sound is ferocious if you are catless and have really free flowing exhaust cans.
That's why we almost always tell people to go catted. Our catted downpipes tested back to back with a catless bellmouth have made around 15-20ft lb of torque higher gains at the wheels as well as reduce the overall spool time on everything from a T04 to a VF48. And the overall impact of the cat is negligible when the wastegate circuit bypasses the cat. You get the lower dB at cruise and idle as well as cold start without impacting the midrange to high end WOT performance.

Jason
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Portland, OR or Seattle, WA?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NamelessPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #1592
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (45)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPerformance View Post

That's why we almost always tell people to go catted. Our catted downpipes tested back to back with a catless bellmouth have made around 15-20ft lb of torque higher gains at the wheels as well as reduce the overall spool time on everything from a T04 to a VF48. And the overall impact of the cat is negligible when the wastegate circuit bypasses the cat. You get the lower dB at cruise and idle as well as cold start without impacting the midrange to high end WOT performance.

Jason
This gain is across the whole power band or just peak power? Can you link me to a graph comparing a bell mouth 3" like the invidia to yours?
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1593
Stu488
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 324078
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2013 STi sedan
Silver

Default

Ok, this question may have been answered already but I don't have time to go through all 1500+ posts. I have a stock 13 STi sedan and am wondering how bad the highway drone is with the Nameless? I am looking at the 4" muffler version but am open to other options if I can get a better boxer rumble than stock without a bad drone since I make a 800 mile road trip every month or so. Thanks.
Stu488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #1594
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (5)
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu488 View Post
Ok, this question may have been answered already but I don't have time to go through all 1500+ posts. I have a stock 13 STi sedan and am wondering how bad the highway drone is with the Nameless? I am looking at the 4" muffler version but am open to other options if I can get a better boxer rumble than stock without a bad drone since I make a 800 mile road trip every month or so. Thanks.
Get the 5" mufflers
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #1595
1wrxtra
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 316364
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu View Post
Get the 5" mufflers
Unless you're only getting the axleback, also get a resonated midpipe.
1wrxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #1596
vaheman
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 351472
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default

Hey everyone I'm ordering the Nameless axleback muffler delete 3.5 inch tips single wall. Anyone know how long the order would take to come in? I've heard numerous things on order times with Nameless, so I think I'll get the best answers here.

Thanks in advance.
vaheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #1597
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (5)
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaheman View Post
Hey everyone I'm ordering the Nameless axleback muffler delete 3.5 inch tips single wall. Anyone know how long the order would take to come in? I've heard numerous things on order times with Nameless, so I think I'll get the best answers here.

Thanks in advance.
Call them and ask? Lol
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #1598
Chrisf4i
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)
 
Member#: 330313
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaheman View Post
Hey everyone I'm ordering the Nameless axleback muffler delete 3.5 inch tips single wall. Anyone know how long the order would take to come in? I've heard numerous things on order times with Nameless, so I think I'll get the best answers here.

Thanks in advance.
From what I remember I got mine about 3 weeks after I ordered it.
Chrisf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1599
NamelessPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 273281
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: La Center, WA
Vehicle:
2015 DGM WRX
05LGT 13BRZ 14BRZ

Default

If it's a Sedan, it'll be 2-4 business days to get it built out and shipped, we're doing a run of those this week. If it's a hatch, it may be a few more days, but those are right behind the sedans.

Jason
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Portland, OR or Seattle, WA?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NamelessPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #1600
NamelessPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 273281
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: La Center, WA
Vehicle:
2015 DGM WRX
05LGT 13BRZ 14BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu View Post
Call them and ask? Lol
^ THIS! :-D Thank you!

Our lead times do vary greatly depending on our workload and what you're specifically ordering. But we have a pretty solid system that charts our builds that we can quote timeframes based upon.

Jason
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Portland, OR or Seattle, WA?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NamelessPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.