Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
white

Default

Really really hate it.

Easy to disable
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
z06fun
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 79547
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default

The manual for my 2013 wrx says it can only be disabled for the STI. Is there some way to disable it for the wrx?
z06fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
rexspeedworthy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 26965
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Independence, KY
Vehicle:
2013 XV crosstrek
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
I dont ever notice it. i switch from brake to gas while letting off the clutch and time it right. I do know that sometimes when im on a hill it would be nice to creep back a little if i was too far on the line. It wont let you do that unless you shift into R
no need for R , just put in neutral and release the clutch a tad. It will only hold the amount of brake pressure you initally give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0300 View Post
IMO, all manual transmission cars should have it. My 88 Subaru had it and I was glad the Impreza has it.

The parking ramp at my work is under the building and you have to wait on an incline for the automatic doors to open and it comes in very handy.

I don't understand why anyone would "hate" it.
You 88 subaru was mechanical and much better than this new crap. It would hold the brakes until the clutch was released to a certain point. Only thing was, it required some occasional adjusting. You want the brake to release before teh clutch would engage.
rexspeedworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
Paradis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334647
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
white

Default

To disable the Hill Assist on 2012+ base impreza

- Start the car
- Push and hold the VDC button for 30 secondes (the VDC light will disapear)
- Release the button when the light disapear then push it again (Hill assist light will turn on)
- Stop the car
- Start the car

Hill assist will definetly be OFF.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
z06fun
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 79547
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default

Actually I tried that and it doesn't work on my 2013 wrx. Its odd too because I see there is a light on the dash to notify you when hill assist is disabled but I can't get it to disable by doing that procedure. After the VDC light finally turns off nothing happens when I push the button the second time.

Last edited by z06fun; 04-19-2013 at 04:40 PM.
z06fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #31
SkylerG
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379704
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06fun View Post
Actually I tried that and it doesn't work on my 2013 wrx. Its odd too because I see there is a light on the dash to notify you when hill assist is disabled but I can't get it to disable by doing that procedure. After the VDC light finally turns off nothing happens when I push the button the second time.
Im trying to disable on my 2014 WRX following the same procedure and nothing happens. 1 month into ownership and I can't stand hill start assist anymore. Were you able to figure it out?
SkylerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #32
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

I absolutely love this feature! Wouldn't buy another car, especially a MT, without it. I don't find it intrusive at all and personally don't see why anyone would want to disable it.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #33
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
I absolutely love this feature! Wouldn't buy another car, especially a MT, without it. I don't find it intrusive at all and personally don't see why anyone would want to disable it.
A lot of people learned to drive without this feature, and on this car it's rather intrusive. It can actually bog down an otherwise good start because it holds for too long and is too aggressive. I'd like to tone mine down, but don't really want to disable it completely.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #34
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I know how to start on a hill without this feature, and my old 1999 Civic that I'm teaching my kids to drive on doesn't have it, so they're learning proper technique too. But I like it, and don't find that it bogs down a good start.

I took my son out driving in the Impreza for the first time yesterday. He doesn't know about the hill hold feature, and I'm not telling him because I want him to continue using the same clutch technique I taught him in the Civic. He didn't notice anything unusual.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #35
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I know how to start on a hill without this feature, and my old 1999 Civic that I'm teaching my kids to drive on doesn't have it, so they're learning proper technique too. But I like it, and don't find that it bogs down a good start.

I took my son out driving in the Impreza for the first time yesterday. He doesn't know about the hill hold feature, and I'm not telling him because I want him to continue using the same clutch technique I taught him in the Civic. He didn't notice anything unusual.
Weird that he didnt notice anything unusual. You didnt disable it?

When I was in San Francisco I parked on a STEEP hill close enough to someones driveway that I thought no other car could fit in between. Sure enough, some Mini Cooper squeezed in there and I had an inch of space for a three point turn. The hill assist threw me off and I ended up rolling into the persons license plate holder. I now have a small scratch on my rear bumper.

Theres something about the hill assist that isnt helpful... however, I can imagine Ill NEVER stop on such a steep hill again.
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

^^No, I didn't disable it. He just used the same hill start process he uses in the Civic, and everything was fine.

I wonder if the bogging down affect you've noticed happens more when the car is new. I used to notice that, but haven't in a long time (my car has 25k miles on it). So either I'm getting used to the hill hold feature, or I'm getting used to the clutch, or the hill hold feature becomes less aggressive with time/mileage. I don't know. But it doesn't bog me down during a hill start anymore.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post

A lot of people learned to drive without this feature, and on this car it's rather intrusive. It can actually bog down an otherwise good start because it holds for too long and is too aggressive. I'd like to tone mine down, but don't really want to disable it completely.
I have been driving MT cars for almost 20 years and have never had a car with a hill-hold feature. As a matter of fact, I was unaware that this feature even existed before I bought my 2012 Impreza. I most certainly have not learned to drive a stick with hill-hold, nor do I need it to drive a manual vehicle. That being said, I do think that it is one of the most usefull features that comes standard with this car except of course for AWD. I do not find it to be intrusive or aggressive in the least bit. It's never inhibited me from moving forward when I wanted to and it is extremely helpful in removing any unwanted backward roll. I would gladly pay extra for this feature and don't feel that I am any less of a good driver because I find this feature helpful.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 03-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #38
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Sometimes I want roll-back to get out of an intersection or into a parking space. This feature has pinned my car in awkward positions before so I've turned it off.

The problem I see is a new generation of drivers depending on the feature and not knowing how to control the majority of manual cars that don't have it.

Last edited by Commander Keen; 03-03-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Commander Keen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
The problem I see is a new generation of drivers depending on the feature and not knowing how to control the majority of manual cars that don't have it.
Agreed, and is a big reason why I'm teaching my kids to drive on my old Civic. I don't want them to "expect" a manual-tranny car to have hill hold.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #40
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
Sometimes I want roll-back to get out of an intersection or into a parking space. This feature has pinned my car in awkward positions before so I've turned it off.

The problem I see is a new generation of drivers depending on the feature and not knowing how to control the majority of manual cars that don't have it.
I cant quote the manual because its not in front of me, but I beleive it the hill assist only lasts a few seconds and will only turn on if youve been on the brake.

If you were to roll to a stop on a hill and just use clutch/gas to stay put, the hill assist would never engage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I wonder if the bogging down affect you've noticed happens more when the car is new. I used to notice that, but haven't in a long time (my car has 25k miles on it). So either I'm getting used to the hill hold feature, or I'm getting used to the clutch, or the hill hold feature becomes less aggressive with time/mileage. I don't know. But it doesn't bog me down during a hill start anymore.
Interesting observation. Since mine hardly kicks in, Ill probably never get used to it, which is part of the reason I had an incident to begin with. I have ~12k on mine now, will have to look out for a "lesser bog down".
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #41
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTech87 View Post
Interesting observation. Since mine hardly kicks in, Ill probably never get used to it, which is part of the reason I had an incident to begin with. I have ~12k on mine now, will have to look out for a "lesser bog down".
Another thing I've read, but haven't confirmed myself:

The harder you press the brake, the more aggressively the hill holding function "holds". If that's true, then by simply not "mashing" the brake pedal, you should get a less aggressive hold, which should make it release more smoothly.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #42
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
If you were to roll to a stop on a hill and just use clutch/gas to stay put, the hill assist would never engage.
I would never do that because it's horrible for the clutch.
Commander Keen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #43
Rpresa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341172
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: yyc
Vehicle:
2012 GP
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
Sometimes I want roll-back to get out of an intersection or into a parking space. This feature has pinned my car in awkward positions before so I've turned it off.

The problem I see is a new generation of drivers depending on the feature and not knowing how to control the majority of manual cars that don't have it.
The hill start assist only becomes active if you have your foot on the brake and put the car in first gear - so if you wanted to roll back out of an intersection lets say, pull the shifter out of first and the car will roll back just like normal without the HSA kickin in.
Rpresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #44
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
The hill start assist only becomes active if you have your foot on the brake and put the car in first gear - so if you wanted to roll back out of an intersection lets say, pull the shifter out of first and the car will roll back just like normal without the HSA kickin in.
I know that much. When my hands are on the wheel, I'm looking to the left with limited visibility and a car is quickly approaching, this is not something I want or have time to do.
Commander Keen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #45
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
I would never do that because it's horrible for the clutch.
In theory, certainly not practice...
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #46
jeepin_erik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383811
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern WV
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Spark Silver

Default

I don't hate it, but I don;t like it much either. I have had many manual cars before my WRX so I don;t really need it. But as I got used to it being there I have learned to deal with it. For the first few days until I realized it was there, thought something was WAY wrong with my car as I didn;t seem to want to pull out (as I was fighting brakes and the incline... lol) What I do on hills that I really don;t want it interfering with me on, I'll click the handbrake up one notch to get the brake light on the dash to illuminate as this disables the HSA
jeepin_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

First world problems...

I don't find it obtrusive, but I also don't regularly 'launch' my car, on hills or otherwise.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #48
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

"Launch"? I don't think anybody in this thread is claiming they launch their cars.

NOTE: When you say "launch", I assume you're referring to winding the RPMs way up and then dropping the clutch.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #49
jrands
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176522
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: S. Cal
Vehicle:
2014 WRX hatchback
WRB

Default

It's probably in the manual, but when does the HSA get activated? I only ask because I had gotten so used to it that I almost smashed into a car behind me in a parking structure. I was waiting in a queue on a rather steep ramp and when I was ready to go and expecting the HSA to kick in, it didn't and I ended up rolling a good 2 feet backwards when I let go of the brakes. Luckily the car behind had just started to roll up or else I probably would have backed into it.
jrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #50
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

^^ If you're on a hill (facing either uphill or downhill, I believe), and both the clutch and brake pedals are pressed, it should activate. Some have said that you have to be in 1st gear too, but I'm not certain that's true. For example, if you're facing downhill and want to reverse up the hill, I believe the hill hold works then too, and that's not a first-gear scenario.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.