Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru

Member#: 44501
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Well aware of the manual leveler - I owned the car. That said - it's basically worthless. Are you going to manually reach down while you're driving over every single speed bump, deviation in the road? No. Manual adjusters are silly. You set them once to the *correct* height and forget about it.
I did an HID conversion on my 2004 WRX which worked great. Nice clean cutoff with the factory reflectors. I got my 2005 STi with factory reflector HIDs - guess what - same exact freaking beam pattern/cutoff. I remember actually being a little disappointed as the manual leveler was about the only difference. I even had the 4300K color matched almost exactly in the '04 WRX. Upon further inspection of the reflectors, I found them to be near identical.

Never said they didn't have it. Read closer.

DOT or not, I'm doing it and have done it with great success. I'm also not supposed to have catless downpipes on my Bimmer. Or my '05 LGT, or my '05 STi, or my '04 WRX.

Yes, wattage is the same (35w) - my point was, projectors are MUCH, MUCH brighter and focused than any reflector, so it's much more of an issue. I have had halogen reflector based headlights with a very sharp cutoff and have had wonderful success using aftermarket bulbs. My '07 Pathfinder had an amazingly crisp, sharp cutoff for a reflector setup. My '04 WRX was pretty good as well. I have friends with newer cars with reflectors that have done retrofits they have had good luck, except for a few where the reflector didn't have a clean cutoff.
Reflector headlights have gotten a LOT better since when HIDs first came out.

I disagree - they're actually great. Couple of things that you have to make sure of. I always 3M clear bra the plastic, which ensures crystal clear transparency for many, many years. You have to check the stock beam pattern of the halogen/reflector setup.
How all these ghetto aftermarket HIDs got a bad name is when Joe Blow with his 2003 Suburban with completely fogged up plastic headlights decides to throw in some HID bulbs and by doing so, basically created I gigantic blinding floodlight with no focus or direction or cutoff. Or Little Timmy in his 1998 Honda Civic sticks in the most purple HID bulbs he can find into his old fogged up headlights that never had any real beam 'pattern' or cutoff to speak of.
It all depends on the vehicle and what beam pattern/cutoff the stock reflector have. Some cars are no-brainers, some I would never go there.

So hacking up my stock reflectors, being out of commission for whatever time it takes and still not having any auto leveling is doing it right? Assuming projectors would indeed fit correctly? That goes against what you've been saying.
I'll be perfectly happy with just a bulb swap. I'm sure the '14's have a good beam pattern/cutoff. It will be fine and I and the other CO drivers will make it through this. We'll all continue to live happy and productive lives. And I'll have $2,250 more bucks in my checking account, or 5 car payments to some.
More money to buy a catless downpipe and AP from COBB.
I think I confused you with some of my points. You made a statement that not all OEM HIDs have levelers.. I was refuting that. I was not saying that you can't make a retrofit HID system work because of the lack of levelers.

Now, the manual levelers aren't useless.. the whole idea of the levelers is to adjust the lights for static load changes (not bumps, as you suggest). In other words, if you put 500lbs of equipment in the trunk of your car, the body will pitch upward and the headlights will throw the light into oncoming traffic. The manual leveler was not intended to be used while driving. Automatic levelers generally calibrate themselves to a level setting when they're first turned on and do not react to bumps in the road while driving.

The arc of an HID and the filament of a halogen bulb differ in size so the lens (which has the job of focusing the light) is shaped differently depending on the type of lighting being used. HID bulbs may be passable in some reflector housings, but they aren't ideal. This is why I suggested going with HID projectors.

Congrats on deciding to do the projector retrofit.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote