Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1701
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey-WRX View Post
I am happy to say I drove up to Prescott and snatched a new WRX WRB Premium from Tim's. Only one, at the time, in AZ
thats funny because my buddy just went down to phoenix to pick up an sti.


also just got back from a cruise to jerome with a couple friends.



* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Zachbiz; 04-15-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #1702
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294466
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: prescott az
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

Default

Nice bugeye! Rims look great, so jealous :-D
USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #1703
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

New plate ideas for the leggy, stolen from users on legacygt.com:
LXRYSTI
SEMSLGT
Still diggin LEGACYA or LEGASTI
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1704
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLiberty View Post
Nice bugeye! Rims look great, so jealous :-D
Thanks! They are just 2008 wrx wheels with a rattle can gold paint job. They do the trick. I wish they were lighter and had lower offset so I didn't have to space them




And I'm still diggin the legasti idea
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #1705
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

I got it I got it!!!! Never heard an external waste gate and grimmspeed 3 port. Was freaked out and had FAT look at it... Turns out I didn't know, feel dumb, and all is well.
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #1706
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post
I got it I got it!!!! Never heard an external waste gate and grimmspeed 3 port. Was freaked out and had FAT look at it... Turns out I didn't know, feel dumb, and all is well.
did you whomp on it and hear the STSSHHHHHHHH coming from the ewg and think something was actively killing itself?
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #1707
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

That is exactly what my thought was. A trip to fat at under 2500rpms in every gear for them to basically tell me I'm dumb is all it took lol. To the uninformed it really does sound like the engine and or turbo is completely FUBARED. LMFAO.


I couldn't believe that was the case unless the truck driver did a number on it somewhere when he unloaded it. My sister and brother in law surely would have noticed, and pretty sure it wouldn't pass the dealer inspection, but ya never know lol. Went from being excited to sick to excited all in the span of 2 hours lol
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #1708
kellyswrxx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325476
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Chandler, AZ
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Pics, please!
kellyswrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #1709
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

Anyone have an iPhone suggestion for loading pics without using a puter? I hate my puter.
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #1710
AZHatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327148
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott Valley
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post
Anyone have an iPhone suggestion for loading pics without using a puter? I hate my puter.
I use the photobucket app, works fine for me
AZHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #1711
shwoop_soobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102323
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott AZ
Vehicle:
99 power poles
beware

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLiberty View Post
Wait till Pat resurrects his beast. It will weigh down in honda territory.
oh yes...i was keeping up with 350whp sti's already, now im gonna be dropping hopefully as much as 500 lbs... shes gonna be a squirly beast, power poles beware. actually the resurrection will begin soon. i am going to be needing lots of help from the old school guru... i will hit you up and we can discuss safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZSTI View Post
Damn son your killing me here, I weigh just under 3600 with half tank and me, but I gotta lot o shti in the trunk too...oh wait, its just another Pastrana nitro circus sig on my fire extinguisher.

and rick, you just need to floor that big girl, dont worry, those tires will stick
shwoop_soobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #1712
shwoop_soobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102323
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott AZ
Vehicle:
99 power poles
beware

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post
I got it I got it!!!! Never heard an external waste gate and grimmspeed 3 port. Was freaked out and had FAT look at it... Turns out I didn't know, feel dumb, and all is well.
when i first put mine on i had it hooked up to the bc backwards so it wouldn't open and i was pissed because i thought it was just way quiet or something... but oh no, you can hear an ewg coming way before the car.

and it makes bystanders horny, or scared, or both.
shwoop_soobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #1713
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294466
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: prescott az
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

Default

USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1714
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

My EWG makes a fluttering ticking noise. Taylor at FAT said it was normal and there is a different way to hook it up that stops that but it would require a re tune. I'm gonna drive it around this weekend and decide if I can live with it. It's really loud and sounds really bad IMO.
I dunno what's up but the computer says she's getting 28mpg and the wagon only got 17-18 in town. I can't believe it's right, but I filled her up and will do my own math lol
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #1715
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post
My EWG makes a fluttering ticking noise. Taylor at FAT said it was normal and there is a different way to hook it up that stops that but it would require a re tune. I'm gonna drive it around this weekend and decide if I can live with it. It's really loud and sounds really bad IMO.
I dunno what's up but the computer says she's getting 28mpg and the wagon only got 17-18 in town. I can't believe it's right, but I filled her up and will do my own math lol
Are you saying you don't like the fluttering or just the Ewg in general? If you do the 2 port thing on the gate itself with the tune to get rid of it that would be smooth but if you don't like it all together you could fab up a dump tube that plumbs back into the downpipe. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get an Ewg
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #1716
nachtengel13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353113
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Cornville, AZ
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
silver

Impreza WRX Cottonwood or P.V. meets?

I recently joined nasioc after recently acquiring a 2003 silver WRX. I'd love to meet others in my neck of the woods.
nachtengel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #1717
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachbiz View Post
Are you saying you don't like the fluttering or just the Ewg in general? If you do the 2 port thing on the gate itself with the tune to get rid of it that would be smooth but if you don't like it all together you could fab up a dump tube that plumbs back into the downpipe. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get an Ewg
It's only been one day, but I think I hate it actually. I'm not sure why anyone would want that noise specifically. It sounds like a belt broke and is flopping around the pulley, or the turbo has a bent fin and its ticking real hard. My tune has the computer saying 28mpg which I can't even begin to believe, but I don't want to mess with that at all. Seams like a lot of money to spend to get rid of a noise I don't like, I just can't figure out why anyone would actually want their car to do what mine does. I can hear my dad now..."why on earth would you do that on purpose?" Lol.

What does it actually do for the engine/turbo?
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1718
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post

It's only been one day, but I think I hate it actually. I'm not sure why anyone would want that noise specifically. It sounds like a belt broke and is flopping around the pulley, or the turbo has a bent fin and its ticking real hard. My tune has the computer saying 28mpg which I can't even begin to believe, but I don't want to mess with that at all. Seams like a lot of money to spend to get rid of a noise I don't like, I just can't figure out why anyone would actually want their car to do what mine does. I can hear my dad now..."why on earth would you do that on purpose?" Lol.

What does it actually do for the engine/turbo?
Because the wastegate is much bigger and independent of the turbo housing you can basically hold it closed longer to spool your turbo up faster and then slam it open and maintain stable boost. My understanding is that it doesn't give any more top end (unless you mess with the taper) but it increases spool time, boost stability and consequently more area under your power curves earlier on in the curve.

On top of that, if your iwg was having trouble holding boost to redline, this will give more of an ability to hold boost to redline (granted your turbo can support it) because of its larger diameter and more stable valve. The valve doesn't get pushed open by high speed high volume exhaust gasses as easily. That could also be contributed by the likelihood they come with stiffer springs.
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1719
WRX2LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340951
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
BSM

Default

Yeah Taylor said its the valve flapping open and closed under higher boost. To someone who's never heard it it really does sound terrible. I guess if its normal and the car was tuned for it I will keep it for now. The exhaust is also stupid loud, so may I need to save up for a new exhaust, back to duals, re installation of the 3port so it doesn't do it, and a tune. Just seams like a lot of coin to fix something that isn't broke but I just don't like.

Oh well.
WRX2LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #1720
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294466
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: prescott az
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

Default

That would get annoying, aren't they supposed to sound like a gun going off when shifting under fullboost? you could always try trading someone, post up an ad. On the exhaust you could probably just getaway with changing mufflers. I had my cheap ebay 3" exhaust system changed to a magnaflow because the 5" poop-can canister was way too raspy. It was about 120$ to get one welded on by Bill at arizona exhaust(prescott). He really went out of his way on mine, tucking it up, out of the way of the rear diff.
USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #1721
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2LGT View Post
Yeah Taylor said its the valve flapping open and closed under higher boost. To someone who's never heard it it really does sound terrible. I guess if its normal and the car was tuned for it I will keep it for now. The exhaust is also stupid loud, so may I need to save up for a new exhaust, back to duals, re installation of the 3port so it doesn't do it, and a tune. Just seams like a lot of coin to fix something that isn't broke but I just don't like.

Oh well.
the 3 port boost control solenoid doesnt really have anything to do it. its just the matter of the ewg dumping the exhaust bypassing the turbo to atmosphere without going through any resonators or mufflers.

there are 2 fixes for the noise and 1 fix for the flutter if going back to an internal wastegate is not an option.

noise:
1, extend the dump tube back into the down pipe. this solves your noise problem and would be the cleanest/lightest weight. some argue this has negative effects but if you go in at a steep enough angle far enough down the pipe, it shouldnt make a huge difference.

2, get a muffler specifically designed for ewg's. they make em, i just dont remember who.

flutter: most ewgs, come with 2 nozzles. one for the boost line and one to act as an atmosphere pressure valve. theres a way to use a 3 port boost solenoid to attach two hoses to both of these nipples and that somehow equalizes extreme pressure differences and smooths out valve operation. but i havent looked into the mechanics of it.
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1722
shwoop_soobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102323
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott AZ
Vehicle:
99 power poles
beware

Default

there are different types of fluttering... under full boost the ewg should be fully open, no fluttering just pure woosh.. the boost should hit hard too, no fluttering. when getting on and off the gas some times it flutters trying to slap open and closed but def not under daily driving conditions. if your running a 3 port ebc you def need to make sure its hooked up right. i run a old school mbc so there is never any guess work, but im old school, so i dont know about the fan dangled new cars and how they act.

here is a little cruise i did and you can here the ewg opening smoothly... the fluttering is my over tightened tial bov... because race car.
shwoop_soobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #1723
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwoop_soobie View Post
there are different types of fluttering... under full boost the ewg should be fully open, no fluttering just pure woosh.. the boost should hit hard too, no fluttering. when getting on and off the gas some times it flutters trying to slap open and closed but def not under daily driving conditions. if your running a 3 port ebc you def need to make sure its hooked up right. i run a old school mbc so there is never any guess work, but im old school, so i dont know about the fan dangled new cars and how they act.

here is a little cruise i did and you can here the ewg opening smoothly... the fluttering is my over tightened tial bov... because race car. [url]http://youtu.be/GdalWTHZkqU[url]
i think he means this:

Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #1724
shwoop_soobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102323
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott AZ
Vehicle:
99 power poles
beware

Default

Awwww. Because the wg spring is to tight?
shwoop_soobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #1725
Zachbiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331281
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA/Prescott, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwoop_soobie View Post
Awwww. Because the wg spring is to tight?
could be preload.
Zachbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So i might have converted an Acura driver to a Subaru driver! SpamMansXe Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 11 11-04-2012 11:49 AM
DFW Subaru drivers- Teape Subaru of Arlington is now open! wcbjr Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 22 06-21-2005 09:55 AM
DFW Subaru drivers- Teape Subaru of Arlington is now open! Ryan@Teape Subaru Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 1 06-20-2005 01:15 PM
DFW SUBARU DRIVERS! Teape Subaru of Arlington is now open! Ryan@Teape Subaru Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 0 06-20-2005 01:13 PM
Apparently Car and Driver thinks Subaru drivers are hippies... perret318 Off-Topic 45 03-03-2005 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.