Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
kennygunit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 249264
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
1969 Ford Mustang
Green

Default 06 STi - Track Wheels and Tires

Hello,

I have a stock 06 STi, and i'm going to get into tracking the car. I wanna purchase a set of rims for the track with some track tires, but i don't know what i should go with. The look isn't too important since it is only going to be used for the track. I mostly want an effective weight, size, and tire. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

P.S. I have never tracked the car before, so if i should start out with a street tire, than please tell me! I'm open for all suggestions!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by kennygunit; 04-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.
kennygunit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Heedlessone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254130
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Twinscroll Goodness

Default

There are so many threads on this. They are also called wheels, not rims.

But I'll bite.

I really like the RPF1, they aren't super cheap, but cheaper than most for the weight. I'm shooting myself in the foot with this one, but Drag wheels are SUPER cheap, they don't weigh much and come in a fair amount of sizes.

Any 17/18 inch wheel with a higher offset will work nicely. I like a 17x9 with a 38+ offset, but I have the 5x100 lugs.

As for tires, that's like opening a can of worms. The BFG Rivals, Direzza ZII, Potenza RE-11A and Kumho Ecsta XS are all pretty great tires for the 2013 season. I went with the RE-11A and I feel good about it.
Heedlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygunit View Post
Hello,

I have a stock 06 STi, and i'm going to get into tracking the car. I wanna purchase a set of rims for the track with some track tires, but i don't know what i should go with. The look isn't too important since it is only going to be used for the track. I mostly want an effective weight, size, and tire. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

P.S. I have never tracked the car before, so if i should start out with a street tire, than please tell me! I'm open for all suggestions!
If this is your first time tracking, even if its a car you've never driven before, explore its stock limits before doing anything. this helps you realize the deficiencies in the setup, and you can begin improving it from there.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
kennygunit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 249264
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
1969 Ford Mustang
Green

Default

thanks for responding, and sorry for not doing an intensive search. Lots of the searches i found were for 08+ with mods.

Sorry for saying "rims", now i know. I've seen rims and wheels get thrown around so much, i'm not even sure what the correct term is. Now i know...

So should i throw the stock STI tires on current rims and go from there? I figured if i'm going to be buying some new tires, might as well upgrade right? The reason why i wanted a different set of wheels is because i daily my car and it's much easier to have 2 sets of wheels.

The car has coil overs and is stage 2 right now, and i'm actually going back to the stock struts, stock exhaust, and tune because i want to learn more about the car and see if i'm able to figure out what needs upgrading on my own. I want to learn about my car more instead of just throwing all these "upgrades" on the car.
kennygunit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Heedlessone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254130
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Twinscroll Goodness

Default

If you drive on crap tires it helps to improve your driving skill, too. Finding the limits on a crappy setup help you to push the limit on a better one.
Heedlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

Let's start with this. What wheels and tires are on the car now?
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedlessone View Post
There are so many threads on this. They are also called wheels, not rims.

But I'll bite.

I really like the RPF1, they aren't super cheap, but cheaper than most for the weight. I'm shooting myself in the foot with this one, but Drag wheels are SUPER cheap, they don't weigh much and come in a fair amount of sizes.

Any 17/18 inch wheel with a higher offset will work nicely. I like a 17x9 with a 38+ offset, but I have the 5x100 lugs.

As for tires, that's like opening a can of worms. The BFG Rivals, Direzza ZII, Potenza RE-11A and Kumho Ecsta XS are all pretty great tires for the 2013 season. I went with the RE-11A and I feel good about it.
They don't make RPF1's that clear Brembos in an offset that would work.

If you don't want to do a lot of fender work, I'd suggest a wheel with a +45 offset or higher. You might be able to run something as low as a +42, depending on tire size.

Avoid Drag wheels. If you want light and strong you're going to have to spend a decent amount. What's your budget?

Those tire suggestions are good. I would also add the Hankook RS3 to the list.
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
kennygunit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 249264
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
1969 Ford Mustang
Green

Default

Currently i have my stock BBS's on cheap tires for daily driving (they were literally $79 tires to get me though winter).

I don't wanna spend more than maybe 1500 total? I don't really know what a good setup would cost. I'm willing to spend the money if its beneficial!
kennygunit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

and you really should find some 100 octane unleaded and fill up with that so ya dont blow it up

and buy the cheapest decent MAX perf tires you can and thrash hell outta them....and buy another set and thrash hell outta them....then buy good tires
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

I would suggest going your first time on those crappy tires.

If you still want a dedicated set of wheels+tires, it's going to be difficult to stay within the $1500 budget. You could go with something from Rota, or maybe the Mach V Awesome wheel, and a set of Hankook RS3s. Or look for something used.
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
riddlinkidd66
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 107171
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greenville, SC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
CGM

Default

I too Have an 06 STI that I am starting to AutoX. Right now I am using stock rim size 17x8. Running STU classing. I am not an expert, i would say after about 10 total driving events, PDX and autoX combined, im nearing intermediate, but probably still beginner.

Anyway, based on your budget Id stay with the stock wheels for now. The stock BBS' for 06 are 17x8 and weigh sub 20 lbs each which is not bad at all. Spend your money on tires (when you feel ready).

Personally I am running 235 45 17 (225 45 is stock size) on my wheels but on the 8" rim i feel there is too much flex for autocross in the sidewall, but that is also because the tires I have are not of the product listed above (Michellin PS2). More flex in the sidewall may have some more benefit in road courses though with higher speed turns and slower transitions.

Since you are a beginner you have a lot to learn about weight transfer, tire flex, suspension dynamics, etc about the car. Not to mention getting a feel for your car behind the wheel and driving techniques in general.

I would like to pose a more specific question to this thread:

What tire size is really the recommended size for each tire product listed above on the stock wheel size (given the stiffer sidewalls over what I am running)?

EDIT: I am sure there are threads on this that I am missing. If so just say so. Sorry in advance.
riddlinkidd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
oldpunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352687
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Joining in on this, so for an 06 STi with stock wheels the best size would be 235/45-17 correct? Thanks for any input in advance
oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk View Post
Joining in on this, so for an 06 STi with stock wheels the best size would be 235/45-17 correct? Thanks for any input in advance
yes45
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
oldpunk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352687
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Cool thanks, just ordered the RE-11A
oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
2JZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291949
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c View Post
They don't make RPF1's that clear Brembos in an offset that would work.

If you don't want to do a lot of fender work, I'd suggest a wheel with a +45 offset or higher. You might be able to run something as low as a +42, depending on tire size.

Avoid Drag wheels. If you want light and strong you're going to have to spend a decent amount. What's your budget?

Those tire suggestions are good. I would also add the Hankook RS3 to the list.

Didn't want to revive an old thread but I didn't want anyone to be misinformed regarding RPF1 fitment and clearing brembos. I have an 05 WRX STi with brembo's (obviously) and 17x8 +45 offset RPF1s clear my brakes no problem. AFAIK all Enkei racing wheels should clear brembos
2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
WhatTurboLag?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243992
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

The convex enkei wheels clear brembos, flat face and concave do not without a spacer is my understanding.
WhatTurboLag? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post
Didn't want to revive an old thread but I didn't want anyone to be misinformed regarding RPF1 fitment and clearing brembos. I have an 05 WRX STi with brembo's (obviously) and 17x8 +45 offset RPF1s clear my brakes no problem.
Yes, all 8" rpf1's clear no issues.

However, the wheels being discussed in this thread are 9".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTurboLag? View Post
The convex enkei wheels clear brembos, flat face and concave do not without a spacer is my understanding.
Quote:
AFAIK all Enkei racing wheels should clear brembos
No. Only 8" rpf1's clear. All 9"+ rpf1's require a spacer.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.