Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default 08+ Subaru WRX Clutch Issues

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm the proud owner of a 2009 WRX Sedan and unfortunately, I've come to experience the issues of a faulty firewall (or more importantly the faulty welds) and the cracking associated with the Clutch and Brake master cylinders.

After doing some research, I've found that there have been so many complaints to SOA and to that, so many of the claims have been denied. With that being said, I have asked a class action lawyer to look into this and it seems we have a very good chance that we may have a case.

I would like to see how many people on NASIOC have experienced this issue, whether it was fixed by the dealership, fixed by yourself, or it is currently not fixed. Also, I need to know if anyone has had any further issues or possibly an accident resulting from this. I know that in our Knoxville, TN community I personally know of five other WRX's that have all experienced the same weld breaks and issues.

Greg Coleman Law has asked that we gather any and all information to see if there is something that can be done on our behalf. By no means am I looking to seek monetary gain but I am only seeking for SOA to own up to the issue and fix it through a mass recall.

Please let me know if you have had or currently have an issue with this immediately as we begin to try to build a case. Thank you in advance for your help and hopefully, we can get this fixed for everyone that has experienced it.

We especially need to know if anyone in New Jersey, New York or California has had these issues. Thank you again for your help!!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Armyofcase; 04-19-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: video added
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!
 
Member#: 196948
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Kyle, TX
Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

Default

I just had the throwout bearing replaced on my '12 WRX at 17K miles. Clutch pedal still clicks and sqeaks, need to stick my head under there, but at least the bearing noise is gone, and so is much of the binding up. This was a problem on my '11 WRX racecar as well, looks like a QC issue with SOA as common as it is. Spot-weld and be done with it.
JamesWilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
garudatwo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322385
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Throwout bearing replacement at 4k in NY.
garudatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
liner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303231
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark Metallic Grey

Default

bought my 08 wrx hatch with 23k cert preowned.

tob replacled at 25k

tob replaced, pressure plate replaced and everything greased @ 30k

clutch still squeeks(tob) occasionally, brake moves about an inch to the left when clutch is depressed from about 35k to current 56k.

Dealer said theres no issue.

Also took it to the family mechanic, who doesnt work on subarus, but he said it just has a VERY stiff clutch, like a sports car. My clutch also vibrates once in a while.

I was told not to worry about it. If anythign goes wrong, the dealers getting a new one ripped, as I have been very persistent if this was an issue.

But well see. No other complaints about the car though

EDIT: Im on an oem clutch. As far as I know they did work on the entire clutch assembly and replaced the clutch \ at 22k before I bought it.

Last edited by liner; 04-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Hwaang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 169271
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
2008 wrx
white

Default

clutch squeak/creak came at 25k, dealership replaced clutch pedal assembly.

now at 80k and the clutch squeak/creak is back with a vengeance and dealership won't address issue.
Hwaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Crobb707
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324229
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner View Post
bought my 08 wrx hatch with 23k cert preowned.

tob replacled at 25k

tob replaced, pressure plate replaced and everything greased @ 30k

clutch still squeeks(tob) occasionally, brake moves about an inch to the left when clutch is depressed from about 35k to current 56k.

Dealer said theres no issue.

Also took it to the family mechanic, who doesnt work on subarus, but he said it just has a VERY stiff clutch, like a sports car. My clutch also vibrates once in a while.

I was told not to worry about it. If anythign goes wrong, the dealers getting a new one ripped, as I have been very persistent if this was an issue.

But well see. No other complaints about the car though
Your welds are shot... The OEM clutch is not stiff at all. My welds broke clutch became squeaky and stiff. Long ordeal but finally paid for clutch in order for dealership to reweld firewall. Squeak and stiffness went away instantly
Crobb707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Zulu-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232213
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobb707 View Post
Your welds are shot... The OEM clutch is not stiff at all. My welds broke clutch became squeaky and stiff. Long ordeal but finally paid for clutch in order for dealership to reweld firewall. Squeak and stiffness went away instantly
Exactly! My dealer refuses to acknowledge this, blames the stiffness and creaking on a "worn clutch." It's been worn out for 40K miles I guess.

They said they would weld the firewall "for free" and install a new clutch assembly, not because something was wrong but because I was complaining. But, only if I paid the $1K+ for PP, flywheel, clutch etc.

Their tech also told me there were no cracks in the firewall even though I've confirmed it myself. When I get a moment in the garage, I plan to remove the cowl again and take photographs and go on to complain vehemently to SOA. See where that gets me.

Been dealing with this for a long time now, really sucks since past 3-6 months my clutch slips under more than a few pounds of boost in all gears. Don't want to throw in my aftermarket equipment yet and jeopardize this situation.
Zulu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Kinjirra
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 258345
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charles Town, WV
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Plasma Blue

Default

Had the same issue with my 08+ to the point where it was like doing leg lifts to push the clutch in.

Had it checked right before warranty expired at 60k and was told it just needed to be greased and I had an aftermarket clutch installed that explained the stiffness(tech have xray eyes apperently as they never dropped my trans). Traded it in for a 13, clutch is like butter compared to that.
Kinjirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Crobb707
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324229
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

I dealt with this for 6 months or so first rolled in stage 2 with suspension goodies they said I must have aftermarket clutch based on how stiff my clutch was. I called SOA and told them no way.

Basically long story short had to get a clutch job with dealership (1800) new flywheel too and they verified I had OEM clutch and couldn't have caused my welds to go bad. If I had aftermarket clutch I would have had to pay for welds out of pocket.

The dealerships and Subaru tried to make it difficult as possible but didn't help I was rolling stage 2 with bigger tmic and headers by the end. The fact is these welds are a manufactures defect and shouldn't even need a warranty. I would fight strong and get ready to maybe pay for new clutch
Crobb707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
liner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303231
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark Metallic Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner View Post
bought my 08 wrx hatch with 23k cert preowned.

tob replacled at 25k

tob replaced, pressure plate replaced and everything greased @ 30k

clutch still squeeks(tob) occasionally, brake moves about an inch to the left when clutch is depressed from about 35k to current 56k.

Dealer said theres no issue.

Also took it to the family mechanic, who doesnt work on subarus, but he said it just has a VERY stiff clutch, like a sports car. My clutch also vibrates once in a while.

I was told not to worry about it. If anythign goes wrong, the dealers getting a new one ripped, as I have been very persistent if this was an issue.

But well see. No other complaints about the car though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobb707 View Post
Your welds are shot... The OEM clutch is not stiff at all. My welds broke clutch became squeaky and stiff. Long ordeal but finally paid for clutch in order for dealership to reweld firewall. Squeak and stiffness went away instantly
What seems to be the protocol for getting SOA or a dealer(bought at subaru of nashua) for getting this taken care of. Im in the proccess of gathering reference numbers and info for the dealer.

Any advice?

The car is stage 1 TP tune with Cobb SF intake. Never had issues with this dealer regarding these mods fwiw
liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
tmburke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342345
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brooklyn & SW CT
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch VF-52
SSM

Default

tmburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
NoGraffix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276209
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Windy City
Vehicle:
I am Rub
Function>Form

Default

I've had the issue since about 20k miles. Started off as a creaking noise that has recently turned into a clicking noise. If I pop the hood and have someone press the clutch in I can see where the firewall flexes. I've never tried to address this at the dealer since I do have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

My plan is to drill through the firewall and pedal assembly and simply bolt the assembly to the firewall in a few places. This seems like it will be easier then welding it and hopefully will not require me to remove the entire dash.
NoGraffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
colby1321
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267408
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 WRX Sedan
VF 52'd Satin White Pearl

Default

Ive had this issue with my 08 and they said they would not fix it and I need to get the welds fixed myself. It still is not fixed and the pedal assembly is held in place by a zip tie so it cannot flex off to the side anymore, stopped the sound for now. Keep me posted on how this mass recall goes. They should own up to their problem and fix it, not me. I bought mine from Atlantic Subaru in Bourne, MA
colby1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Please call Greg Coleman at 1-800-Hurt-Now and tell them that you heard about the suit. I spoke with the legal team today and the ball is rolling!

Last edited by Armyofcase; 04-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobb707 View Post
I dealt with this for 6 months or so first rolled in stage 2 with suspension goodies they said I must have aftermarket clutch based on how stiff my clutch was. I called SOA and told them no way.

Basically long story short had to get a clutch job with dealership (1800) new flywheel too and they verified I had OEM clutch and couldn't have caused my welds to go bad. If I had aftermarket clutch I would have had to pay for welds out of pocket.

The dealerships and Subaru tried to make it difficult as possible but didn't help I was rolling stage 2 with bigger tmic and headers by the end. The fact is these welds are a manufactures defect and shouldn't even need a warranty. I would fight strong and get ready to maybe pay for new clutch
Can I have the guys at Greg Coleman get in touch with you? PM me your number if you don't mind. We need someone in California that has had this issue and sounds like you're the man! Thanks!
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Hey guys! We're moving forward with the Class Action. if you have a minute to voice your opinion and help move this thing towards a massive recall, please call 1-800-Hurt-Now. Thank you in advance and i'm excited to try to get this all sorted out and fixed!
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
dave07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291349
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 Mustang GT
Black

Default

It absolutely boggles my mind that Subaru can produce a car with a faulty clutch design. How long have they been designing manuals?
dave07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Kinjirra
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 258345
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charles Town, WV
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Plasma Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyofcase View Post
Please call Greg Coleman at 1-866-Hurt-Now and tell them that you heard about the suit. I spoke with the legal team today and the ball is rolling!
Just a heads up, I know for a fact many dealerships and I wouldnt be surprised that SOA as well monitors this site on a regular basis. I wouldnt put anything related to said case on the forums besides general contact info for the lawyers.

That being said put the info up at 3gwrx.com and any of the other subaru sites. I know lots and lots of people have had issues with this problem.
Kinjirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjirra View Post
Just a heads up, I know for a fact many dealerships and I wouldnt be surprised that SOA as well monitors this site on a regular basis. I wouldnt put anything related to said case on the forums besides general contact info for the lawyers.

That being said put the info up at 3gwrx.com and any of the other subaru sites. I know lots and lots of people have had issues with this problem.
I agree completely! Please let me know everyone that has had this claim!
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
stanrc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 266177
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Manassas Park, VA
Vehicle:
2006 MX-5
RED

Default

My clutch just started squeaking last week at 36k miles. I havne't had time to check if the firewall is flexing or not but the sound definately doesn't seem to be coming from under the dash.
stanrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

It may sound like it's not coming from under the dash but definitely check it out. Also, have someone press the clutch in and watch the master cylinder inside the engine bay to see if it's moving...
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
stanrc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 266177
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Manassas Park, VA
Vehicle:
2006 MX-5
RED

Default

Yeah, I had someone do that but of course thats when it decided not to make noise. I put some wd40 on some of the linkage in the pedal just in case.
stanrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
davidboies
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304390
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

I have a 2009 wrx sedan with 113,000 miles on it. It's had a squeaky clutch for as long as I can remember. I didn't think anything about it until I started having trouble putting the car in reverse and 1st, and the brake pedal would move over with the clutch when I presse in the clutch. Took it to the dealer and they adjusted the clutch. It helped for a little while, but then it went right back to what it was doing before. Took it to subaru and they said its a cracked firewall and they wont/cant fix it. Same thing with the dealer i got it from. They all say they need to send it to a dfferent shop. Car wont start since the clutch wont go all the way in, so its sitting in the driveway. I bought a warranty thats supposed to cover all "non-wear" items , but it doesn't look like theyre going to cover this. Im iust going to fix it myself I guess. Ive contacted SOA about this. Ive loved this car until this happened, now im not so sure how much I trust subaru.
davidboies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 281396
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboies View Post
I have a 2009 wrx sedan with 113,000 miles on it. It's had a squeaky clutch for as long as I can remember. I didn't think anything about it until I started having trouble putting the car in reverse and 1st, and the brake pedal would move over with the clutch when I presse in the clutch. Took it to the dealer and they adjusted the clutch. It helped for a little while, but then it went right back to what it was doing before. Took it to subaru and they said its a cracked firewall and they wont/cant fix it. Same thing with the dealer i got it from. They all say they need to send it to a dfferent shop. Car wont start since the clutch wont go all the way in, so its sitting in the driveway. I bought a warranty thats supposed to cover all "non-wear" items , but it doesn't look like theyre going to cover this. Im iust going to fix it myself I guess. Ive contacted SOA about this. Ive loved this car until this happened, now im not so sure how much I trust subaru.
Would you mind giving Dawn a call at Greg Coleman's office? Dawn is his legal assistant and is taking all the calls concerning this. His phone number is 865-247-0080. This is definitely why I'm doing this...

Where are you located at? Guys/Gals....if anyone else is having this very same issue...factory clutch or aftermarket clutch...fixed previously or not...please call Greg Coleman Law today. It will only take 10 minutes or less...I Promise it will help everyone out in the long run! Thanks!
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Subiezilla
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280543
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanrc View Post
Yeah, I had someone do that but of course thats when it decided not to make noise. I put some wd40 on some of the linkage in the pedal just in case.
So putting some lube on the linkage fixed the issue for you?
Subiezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.