Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default quick brembo question on wrx

I plan on swapping 04 STI brembos on my 04 WRX (JUST the fronts).
I've done it before, but I was wondering, do I actually need Stainless steel lines or have to use the STI brake lines? OR will the WRX ones work?

I know ill need
2 calipers
2 5x100 sti rotors
4 sti mounting bolts

sorry, i tried to search, and i didnt see anywhere that said i NEEDED to use braided lines. IF i can use the WRX brake lines, id much rather do that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post
I plan on swapping 04 STI brembos on my 04 WRX (JUST the fronts).
I've done it before, but I was wondering, do I actually need Stainless steel lines or have to use the STI brake lines? OR will the WRX ones work?

I know ill need
2 calipers
2 5x100 sti rotors
4 sti mounting bolts

sorry, i tried to search, and i didnt see anywhere that said i NEEDED to use braided lines. IF i can use the WRX brake lines, id much rather do that.
They are all the same.

But why woul you upgrade the front only? Too cheap? That severely ****s your bias.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

^agreed, at least get the 06-07 2pots in the rear.
prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
faSTI666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180204
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, AK
Vehicle:
2005 FXT Stg II 1/2
SSM

Default

You will want to at least upgrade to an sti master cylinder. Otherwise you will likely not be happy with the braking. it makes some difference but not add much as ansti bb. An sti bb will give you much firmer brake feel.
faSTI666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
They are all the same.

But why woul you upgrade the front only? Too cheap? That severely ****s your bias.
is this true? cus i heard it really doesnt make a difference. REad it somewhere here.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1800734

I did have an 02 RS that swapped brembo brakes on and it was fine (but i also did SS lines).

so just get a break booster (sti) and keep the WRX brake lines?
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
faSTI666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180204
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, AK
Vehicle:
2005 FXT Stg II 1/2
SSM

Default

The sti mc is a little larger. Its not necessaty but preferred.
faSTI666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post

is this true? cus i heard it really doesnt make a difference. REad it somewhere here.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1800734

I did have an 02 RS that swapped brembo brakes on and it was fine (but i also did SS lines).

so just get a break booster (sti) and keep the WRX brake lines?
Yeah, brake bias doesn't mean anything.

Anyone saying that shouldn't be giving out advice.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Thank you!
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
SW21MR2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60135
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Vehicle:
2005 Kona Stink-E
White

Default

Just do the rears too if you can afford it. It looks better. hahaha
SW21MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Novtec1
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 13641
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
08 Audi RS4
03 SY WRX (DAILY)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faSTI666 View Post
The sti mc is a little larger. Its not necessaty but preferred.
been running my 03 wrx with front brembos for like 4 years with no STI mc... not ONE issue!!!! just put in some really good fluid and lines...
Novtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

so if i went with just the calipers and rotors, and stock lines everything, it cant be any WORSE than the stock setup, correct?
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

yes....you'll be pretty front biased, causing the front to dive more than it should during braking, more initial understeer when braking into corners, etc.

if you can't do the rears, at LEAST do the h6 rear upgrade.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
yes....you'll be pretty front biased, causing the front to dive more than it should during braking, more initial understeer when braking into corners, etc.

if you can't do the rears, at LEAST do the h6 rear upgrade.
So no disrespect, but unless im not understanding, even stoptech (reputable) says that it isnt necessary to do the rears UNLESS i have thermal concerns (i assume he means track use).

When u see big break kits, u usually see them fro the fronts, not for both.
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post

So no disrespect, but unless im not understanding, even stoptech (reputable) says that it isnt necessary to do the rears UNLESS i have thermal concerns (i assume he means track use).
"No disrespect" but different kits have different requirements. Saying one manufacturer states xx doesn't mean anything against a different manufacturer. Not to mention stoptech makes a variety of kits, including "small" kits that retain close to stock rotor dimensions.

Brake bias is a very real thing. If you don't understand how bias effects your car, why are you even considering purchasing anything?

Not to mention the only reason you'd even NEED to upgrade the wrx brakes is if you are having "thermal concerns". You won't see much of a difference in stopping distances, even less so in a street driven car.

You apparently have a lot to learn about braking systems.

Quote:
When u see big break kits, u usually see them fro the fronts, not for both.
Incorrect.

Last edited by sc00by4life; 04-22-2013 at 11:43 PM.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
brew02wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259970
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: brewster, NY
Vehicle:
2002 wrx cobb stg2+
psm proper fitment

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post
So no disrespect, but unless im not understanding, even stoptech (reputable) says that it isnt necessary to do the rears UNLESS i have thermal concerns (i assume he means track use).

When u see big break kits, u usually see them fro the fronts, not for both.
why do you want brembos in the first place??
brew02wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
paulpat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 237145
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 562
Vehicle:
02 WRX
12 FXT

Default

Brembos with the h6 are ok and good. Slightly more front bias than stock but just front brembos makes it really front bias. You will notice the front dive more and this overloads the front tires and then kicks in the ABS because either the front or back .... I forgot. The point is from the factory you are already really front bias. You might feel the front dive and think "oh they are working better " but really ur front is just giving you an illusion.

I suggest getting the h6.
paulpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Getting h6 will really make the difference? Isnt braking based on tire grip? And the rears ony do like 15% of the braking.

Im not being cheap, just curious. If its really a difference maker, ill just get the brembo rears and the adapter kit
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Grimoire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181331
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Langley, BC
Vehicle:
2012 STI
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post
Getting h6 will really make the difference? Isnt braking based on tire grip? And the rears ony do like 15% of the braking.

Im not being cheap, just curious. If its really a difference maker, ill just get the brembo rears and the adapter kit
More like 25% to 35%, depending on the car.

The *limit* of braking depends on the tire grip, but how you reach that limit matters. If your front brakes are grabbing too much relative to the back, they will reach that limit much sooner than the back tires. Your rear tires will not be an effective part of your braking system.

A good article on the importance of good brake bias (or the problems with a bad bias): http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...alance-matters

Last edited by Grimoire; 04-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Grimoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
"No disrespect" but different kits have different requirements. Saying one manufacturer states xx doesn't mean anything against a different manufacturer. Not to mention stoptech makes a variety of kits, including "small" kits that retain close to stock rotor dimensions.

Brake bias is a very real thing. If you don't understand how bias effects your car, why are you even considering purchasing anything?

Not to mention the only reason you'd even NEED to upgrade the wrx brakes is if you are having "thermal concerns". You won't see much of a difference in stopping distances, even less so in a street driven car.

You apparently have a lot to learn about braking systems.



Incorrect.
its for looks, looks only. i dont care about performance. if itll hurt the car i wont do it, if it will at least be no worse than stock, then ill put it on, cus it looks so much cooler.

i dont track the car, i just show it off while going to the grocery store.
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
blazzin06wrxdude
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127359
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR CGM
PPG's,Polka pickled,ewg

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post

its for looks, looks only. i dont care about performance. if itll hurt the car i wont do it, if it will at least be no worse than stock, then ill put it on, cus it looks so much cooler.

i dont track the car, i just show it off while going to the grocery store.
At least the man is honest! If looks is all you expect from this upgrade then go for it! You will not hurt anything and if your not tracking the car you will not notice the change in bias unless you make it a point to regularly threshold brake on the streets to the point of making the nose dive and abs engage! If you are driving like that on the street, you're doing it wrong! Wrx brake lines should work and ss lines are not necessary at this point, though I would suggest for piece of mind!

02-05 wrx use the same 1 1/16" master cylinder as the Sti! That Said, if you have an 02-05 wrx you will gain nothing from swapping to an STI master cylinder!

The sti brake booster however, is where you gain the last little bit of that " firmer" pedal from the full swap!

06-07 Wrx they reverted back to a 1" master cylinder with the 4/2pots..why Fhi did this, I do not know! This would be beneficial to swap to a 1 1/16" mc for these model years! (this is what I did ;swapped to the STI mc and bb)

From personal experience the front brembos paired with rear 2 pots is no better..I ran this set up on the track and the nose dive was horrible..literally lifting the back wheels under hard braking. Way too much front bite! I am certain that brembos should be done as a full swap if your car does see track! for the street though..don't even sweat it! Best of luck!
blazzin06wrxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Jubert39
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155598
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vernon Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 AW Subaru WRX
JDM v7 STI spec-C

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin06wrxdude View Post

At least the man is honest! If looks is all you expect from this upgrade then go for it! You will not hurt anything and if your not tracking the car you will not notice the change in bias unless you make it a point to regularly threshold brake on the streets to the point of making the nose dive and abs engage! If you are driving like that on the street, you're doing it wrong! Wrx brake lines should work and ss lines are not necessary at this point, though I would suggest for piece of mind!

02-05 wrx use the same 1 1/16" master cylinder as the Sti! That Said, if you have an 02-05 wrx you will gain nothing from swapping to an STI master cylinder!

The sti brake booster however, is where you gain the last little bit of that " firmer" pedal from the full swap!

06-07 Wrx they reverted back to a 1" master cylinder with the 4/2pots..why Fhi did this, I do not know! This would be beneficial to swap to a 1 1/16" mc for these model years! (this is what I did ;swapped to the STI mc and bb)

From personal experience the front brembos paired with rear 2 pots is no better..I ran this set up on the track and the nose dive was horrible..literally lifting the back wheels under hard braking. Way too much front bite! I am certain that brembos should be done as a full swap if your car does see track! for the street though..don't even sweat it! Best of luck!
The stock sti rears are 2 pots and it was no better? So does the stock sti already have this issue then?
Btw thanks for the reply, Explained everything, i appreciate it.

I just feel like sometimes ppl here are way to technical like they are track experts. I was just wondering if itll hurt the car that much on a DD. Im generalizing, but i bet the majority here do a lot of thinks more for bling than for performance. Dont tell me u put an sti wing for more downforce on your DD. dont tell me u got a big break kit for ur DD, or even stretched tires and ur bbk. I just want a clean look and i got brembos at an incredible price which is why i made this thread.
Jubert39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
ronnyyun
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354403
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

it makes some difference but not add much as ansti bb.
ronnyyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
blazzin06wrxdude
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127359
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR CGM
PPG's,Polka pickled,ewg

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post

The stock sti rears are 2 pots and it was no better? So does the stock sti already have this issue then?
Btw thanks for the reply, Explained everything, i appreciate it.

I just feel like sometimes ppl here are way to technical like they are track experts. I was just wondering if itll hurt the car that much on a DD. Im generalizing, but i bet the majority here do a lot of thinks more for bling than for performance. Dont tell me u put an sti wing for more downforce on your DD. dont tell me u got a big break kit for ur DD, or even stretched tires and ur bbk. I just want a clean look and i got brembos at an incredible price which is why i made this thread.
No problem man! Enjoy your car and do what makes you happy! Just to re emphasis though..if this is just for a car primarily driven on the street you will notice no negative impact from the swap and drivability for 99.9% of all your normal day to day driving duties will remain the same! The only downside is more expensive pads and rotors! I should have been more clear! At the time I was running the 2 pot rears that came on my 06 Wrx! After experiencing a shift in brake bias for the worse, after doing just front brembos on an 06 wrx, I decided to go ahead and upgrade the rears to the brembo 2 pots ( more brake torque and larger diameter rotor) with a conversion rotor from Dba that allowed me to maintain the wrx parking brake. Since I have an 06 Wrx and now brembos fr and rear I also opted to do the STI mc and brake booster! My car see's some pretty hard weekends at the track! This is totally not needed in your application though! Get those brembo's on and enjoy! Remember..bleeders up!

Last edited by blazzin06wrxdude; 04-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.
blazzin06wrxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #24
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin06wrxdude View Post
At least the man is honest! If looks is all you expect from this upgrade then go for it! You will not hurt anything and if your not tracking the car you will not notice the change in bias unless you make it a point to regularly threshold brake on the streets to the point of making the nose dive and abs engage! If you are driving like that on the street, you're doing it wrong! Wrx brake lines should work and ss lines are not necessary at this point, though I would suggest for piece of mind!
it is definitely noticeable on the street under any sort of moderate to hard braking occurrence. And that isn't as unlikely or uncommon as you think.

the difference between the 06-07 2 pot rears and the 02-05 sliding calipers is significant....which is most likely clouding your advice.

I love it when these guys come in and state things like this are only factors under "threshold braking" and what not. That is absolutely untrue.

if you're doing it for looks, who cares what I say. do it. if you don't pay attention to how your car behaves in the first place, you most likely wont notice any difference.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Grimoire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181331
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Langley, BC
Vehicle:
2012 STI
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert39 View Post
its for looks, looks only. i dont care about performance. if itll hurt the car i wont do it, if it will at least be no worse than stock, then ill put it on, cus it looks so much cooler.

i dont track the car, i just show it off while going to the grocery store.
In that case, these might be more what you are looking for:

Grimoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.