Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
hardhitter_alert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293841
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Default 07 Sti burning 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles

I am not sure where the oil is going but it is burning 1 quart of Rotella T6 5w40 every 1500 miles. What the easiest way to check if it is the turbo or engine? I have a FMIC.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hardhitter_alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Coreycarlile911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282614
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Spokane Washington
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx sti
Black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter_alert View Post
I am not sure where the oil is going but it is burning 1 quart of Rotella T6 5w40 every 1500 miles. What the easiest way to check if it is the turbo or engine? I have a FMIC.
Get a compression/leakdown test to make sure the engine is in good shape. Also have you noticed any type of smoke out the exhaust? You can also look at the intercooler hoses for excessive oil in there. A light film of oil on the hoses is normal but alot is not. Also depending on how you drive you may not have a problem. These cars seem to have the disappearing oil effect. Also what other mods besides the fmic, and is everything properly tuned for? You can also start up the car and take the oil filler cap off and check for smoke coming out of that.
Coreycarlile911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

with the engine at operating temp and running...take the oil filler cap off

do you have raw exhaust blowing out of the filler???

then ya gonna have to rebuild it
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
kleedzine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273531
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
02 frankenSTI
white

Default

I have similar issue, I have checked compression/leak down(they are ok), no sign of leak in engine bay, and turbo hot side. I checked oil filler, no blowing out exhaust gas, or smoke, it actually sucked the cap, when I put the cap on filler. I have 06STI stage2 (downpipe, turbo inlet, EMU) custom forged built motor. I have TMIC crawford v2 aos, routed as per their instruction. I still get oil puddle in IC, Y pipe. I have used Motul 5W40, Redline 10W40 with 1 quart of 20W50, Rotella T6 5W40. Currently, Brad Penn 15W40. Still burns oil. Where else should I look at?
kleedzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

I am new here, but thought I would chime in. I just purchased an 04 sti knowing that it used a quart per 1k miles. No smoke, just a film in IC hoses, replaced cracked PCV hoses, but it continued to use oil. Turbo had some shaft play, but not bad. Got a tactrix and logged with romraider. With the help of endrswd, discovered that it was over boosting due to vf43 and no restrictor pill. Long story longer, we did a leak down test and cyl 4 failed (dont remember exact numbers). Figured broken ring land, so we are rebuilding with cosworth pistons. Any how now that it is apart, the pistons look fine, but the oil rings are stuck. I am still not sure why number 4 failed leak down, but we are doing a proper build (not drop in). The original hone markes are still on the walls after 120k plus miles.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but hopefully it will.
-David
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
daseca07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277630
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Wheaton MD
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Default

my 07 wrx burns about a quart every 2k miles. like already mentioned get a compression/leakdown test
daseca07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
hardhitter_alert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293841
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreycarlile911 View Post
Get a compression/leakdown test to make sure the engine is in good shape. Also have you noticed any type of smoke out the exhaust? You can also look at the intercooler hoses for excessive oil in there. A light film of oil on the hoses is normal but alot is not. Also depending on how you drive you may not have a problem. These cars seem to have the disappearing oil effect. Also what other mods besides the fmic, and is everything properly tuned for? You can also start up the car and take the oil filler cap off and check for smoke coming out of that.
No there is no smoke from the exhaust at all. I will check the intercooler hoses. It is boosted to about 20 psi but not too often since it's a daily driver and yes it has been tuned. It has a big turbo, TGV delete, ported manifold, hybrid boost control, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
with the engine at operating temp and running...take the oil filler cap off

do you have raw exhaust blowing out of the filler???

then ya gonna have to rebuild it
I will check on this but how do you know if it's raw exhaust and not just some air?

Last edited by hardhitter_alert; 04-26-2013 at 01:58 AM.
hardhitter_alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
esteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28716
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2006 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlapham View Post
I am new here, but thought I would chime in. I just purchased an 04 sti knowing that it used a quart per 1k miles. No smoke, just a film in IC hoses, replaced cracked PCV hoses, but it continued to use oil. Turbo had some shaft play, but not bad. Got a tactrix and logged with romraider. With the help of endrswd, discovered that it was over boosting due to vf43 and no restrictor pill. Long story longer, we did a leak down test and cyl 4 failed (dont remember exact numbers). Figured broken ring land, so we are rebuilding with cosworth pistons. Any how now that it is apart, the pistons look fine, but the oil rings are stuck. I am still not sure why number 4 failed leak down, but we are doing a proper build (not drop in). The original hone markes are still on the walls after 120k plus miles.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but hopefully it will.
-David
Just wondering, can you find out what the leakdown % was for #4? If everything looked fine then maybe it was borderline, like 15-20%.
esteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteve View Post

Just wondering, can you find out what the leakdown % was for #4? If everything looked fine then maybe it was borderline, like 15-20%.
It was 50% I think. I will get the paperwork later today and post the results. My mechanic said that there was a lot of gap in the compression rings, but I do not have figures. I know that some high performance cars run a lot of ring gap OEM.
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
kleedzine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273531
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
02 frankenSTI
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleedzine View Post
I have similar issue, I have checked compression/leak down(they are ok), no sign of leak in engine bay, and turbo hot side. I checked oil filler, no blowing out exhaust gas, or smoke, it actually sucked the cap, when I put the cap on filler. I have 06STI stage2 (downpipe, turbo inlet, EMU) custom forged built motor. I have TMIC crawford v2 aos, routed as per their instruction. I still get oil puddle in IC, Y pipe. I have used Motul 5W40, Redline 10W40 with 1 quart of 20W50, Rotella T6 5W40. Currently, Brad Penn 15W40. Still burns oil. Where else should I look at?
anybody has answer for this?
kleedzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
guroove
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129833
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleedzine View Post
I have similar issue, I have checked compression/leak down(they are ok), no sign of leak in engine bay, and turbo hot side. I checked oil filler, no blowing out exhaust gas, or smoke, it actually sucked the cap, when I put the cap on filler. I have 06STI stage2 (downpipe, turbo inlet, EMU) custom forged built motor. I have TMIC crawford v2 aos, routed as per their instruction. I still get oil puddle in IC, Y pipe. I have used Motul 5W40, Redline 10W40 with 1 quart of 20W50, Rotella T6 5W40. Currently, Brad Penn 15W40. Still burns oil. Where else should I look at?
It sounds like you could be leaking oil from the turbo compressor side if leakdown is good and you are still getting oil in your intercooler. Also check that your valve cover breather lines to your AOS are clear. If they are clogged, you could be pressurizing your crankcase under boost, creating a restriction to proper oil drainage from the turbo.
guroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Kingnothing616
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277507
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tyler, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Red

Default

I have never tried it on a Subaru yet, but early 2000's 1zz Toyota engines and late model 5.3 gm's have terrible oil consumption problems. Compression restore from BG is designed to clean and free the rings and I have fixed about four so far at my shop that were about to be tore down at other shops in town. The worst one was an 01 corolla using 1qt every 400 miles, now it is down to 1qt every 3,000. A few manufacturer classes I have taken said most of them are switching to a low strength ring to reduce friction to meet CAFE scores. I've tried tons of top engine cleaners as a tech and all the other gimmicky crap and the 109 is only product that seems to work.
Kingnothing616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
dlapham
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350332
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2004 Bone Stock* STi
*with supporting mods

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnothing616 View Post
I have never tried it on a Subaru yet, but early 2000's 1zz Toyota engines and late model 5.3 gm's have terrible oil consumption problems. Compression restore from BG is designed to clean and free the rings and I have fixed about four so far at my shop that were about to be tore down at other shops in town. The worst one was an 01 corolla using 1qt every 400 miles, now it is down to 1qt every 3,000. A few manufacturer classes I have taken said most of them are switching to a low strength ring to reduce friction to meet CAFE scores. I've tried tons of top engine cleaners as a tech and all the other gimmicky crap and the 109 is only product that seems to work.
I wish I would have known about and tried this before my rebuild. I was convinced by this forum that it was a cracked ringland. Now it seems it was stuck oil rings..
dlapham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Kingnothing616
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277507
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tyler, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Red

Default

That stinks man, most people that aren't in the industry haven't seen these sort of issues. Carbon issues due to ethanol blended fuels and low quality oils with good advertising are at fault.
Kingnothing616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
hardhitter_alert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293841
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Default

I removed the oil cap and it was blowing out some and when I sniffed it kind of smelled good like a mix of oil and fuel a little bit. I assume exhaust would smell really bad? Should I try that BG? I used to have a Corolla 1zz-fe and it would drink oil like crazy.
hardhitter_alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
Kingnothing616
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277507
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tyler, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Red

Default

I would, if it is a sticky ring issue it will take care of it. Just have to find a distributor in your area.
Kingnothing616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
hardhitter_alert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293841
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Default

I added the BG 109 today and followed the instructions and dumped the oil. Should I look into a catch can? I am running about 20psi.
hardhitter_alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
kleedzine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273531
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
02 frankenSTI
white

Default

I am curious about the result of BG109 on our boxer engine.
kleedzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
guroove
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129833
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter_alert View Post
I removed the oil cap and it was blowing out some and when I sniffed it kind of smelled good like a mix of oil and fuel a little bit. I assume exhaust would smell really bad? Should I try that BG? I used to have a Corolla 1zz-fe and it would drink oil like crazy.
If it smelled like fuel, and it was blowing out, that sounds like something is getting past the rings. If you put your hand on it, and the overall result of the puffs in and out equal to close zero pressure, then you are good. If it farts out around your hand, your motor is busted.
guroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
hardhitter_alert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293841
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroove View Post
If it smelled like fuel, and it was blowing out, that sounds like something is getting past the rings. If you put your hand on it, and the overall result of the puffs in and out equal to close zero pressure, then you are good. If it farts out around your hand, your motor is busted.
How hard should I press my hand down? I refilled the oil today and drove a little bit and I had to check engine codes: P0031 and P0456

Last edited by hardhitter_alert; 05-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.
hardhitter_alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
BlackFighter
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193940
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI Black
RalliSpec Shortblock

Default

looks like all that burned oil killed your front o2 sensor. Yaa, you prob will need a eng rebuild
BlackFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
ryansx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324527
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis TN
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
white

Default

Bg has good products but the compression restorer never worked on the GM 5.3 when I was in the dealer. I was still replacing pistons in 2 engines a week and the ones that tried the bg looked identical to the ones that didnt. But in the subies it could be a different story, it's worth a shot, what's a couple $ if you may have to do a rebuild anyways.
ryansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
Kingnothing616
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277507
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tyler, TX
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Red

Default

I'm no expert on catch cans, probably not a bad idea. On the 5.3s I usually let it idle for 45 minutes and then put the MOA in the the new oil and have had good results. Most cars are just a case by case basis. Did it to a 96 Dakota V6 that the customer had been chasing a misfire for months, he had replaced everything ignition related and the injector for #5. Came in hammering on that cylinder looking at the data steam. Compression was 100-105 psi on 1,2,3,4,6 and 5 psi on #5! I was ready to tear the engine down and decided to try 109 first. 1,2,3,4,6 were all around 120 and #5 shot up to 100 and the misfire was gone. I was always skeptical till that day.
I've also seen major horsepower and torque gains on the dyno doing it on diesels, in person.
Kingnothing616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.