Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Kikodaz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352845
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default Gas Tank Issue

Hi I'm new to the forum.

I'm in the process of buying a 2004 STI and since I don't know much about the car so I took a friend who has a 2005. He said that every major component was in very good to excellent range (for a 2004 car). However the guy that has it know told me that he can't fill the gas tank completely. This is because it starts to spill out of the car. He says it falls underneath the car where the gas tank is and it has never fallen inside the car (friend has no idea what the issue might be).

My question would be if anyone has any idea what the gas tank issue might be and how easy or complex a fix would it be?

Thank you.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kikodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikodaz View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum.

I'm in the process of buying a 2004 STI and since I don't know much about the car so I took a friend who has a 2005. He said that every major component was in very good to excellent range (for a 2004 car). However the guy that has it know told me that he can't fill the gas tank completely. This is because it starts to spill out of the car. He says it falls underneath the car where the gas tank is and it has never fallen inside the car (friend has no idea what the issue might be).

My question would be if anyone has any idea what the gas tank issue might be and how easy or complex a fix would it be?

Thank you.
Howdy

Take the car to your mechanic/shop for a pre purchase inspection. They should be able to check it out for you and offer better advice on what the issue is and what it's going to take to fix than most here can.
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Kikodaz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352845
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2112 View Post
Howdy

Take the car to your mechanic/shop for a pre purchase inspection. They should be able to check it out for you and offer better advice on what the issue is and what it's going to take to fix than most here can.
That is good advice and I'm planning on doing it this Saturday. But my mechanic is more into tuning/working with Honda S2000's (which is my current car) and Honda's in general (although he does have a few evo and 350/370z projects, but never seen a Subaru there) so I wanted to have an idea of the issue might be before taking the car there. Although I don't think it should be that hard for him to see the problem after all he's a tuner and I think gas tanks are pretty common .
Kikodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
btc2112
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322981
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikodaz View Post

I think gas tanks are pretty common .
Quoted for truth, he should be able to figure it out for ya and give you an idea of what you're looking at. Good luck, hope it works out.
btc2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Kikodaz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352845
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

Thanks
Kikodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikodaz View Post
That is good advice and I'm planning on doing it this Saturday. But my mechanic is more into tuning/working with Honda S2000's (which is my current car) and Honda's in general (although he does have a few evo and 350/370z projects, but never seen a Subaru there) so I wanted to have an idea of the issue might be before taking the car there. Although I don't think it should be that hard for him to see the problem after all he's a tuner and I think gas tanks are pretty common .
I would find a new mechanic then. Don't get me wrong, I definitely understand wanting to stay with someone who has proven themselves to you but on some levels cars are cars, on other levels you really need an understanding of the specific car. What works on a Honda may not work on a Subaru and may not work on a Nissan, etc.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
cmiovino
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 134005
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Premium
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikodaz View Post
However the guy that has it know told me that he can't fill the gas tank completely. This is because it starts to spill out of the car. He says it falls underneath the car where the gas tank is and it has never fallen inside the car (friend has no idea what the issue might be).
So I'm kind of confused. You can't fill it completely up to full? But on other hand you say "it has never fallen inside the car"... kinda saying like you've never gotten gas in the car?

I'd check the gas filler tube that runs from the filler door to the tank. They commonly rust out. You could have a hole there from rust, or it can be coming apart at the rubber tube that connects to this metal tube. There is a clamp holding it on.

Start there first.
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Kikodaz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352845
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

No sorry that's bad explaining in my part. Gas goes in the tank once the tank is almost full it starts spilling out. As long as you don't fill the tank fully it doesn't spill out. The inside of the car thing was a bad translation on my part.

I've had the car less than a week and did put gas in it once. Didn't fill it up and it didn't spill fuel. However it did go from almost 1/2 tank to almost 1/4 tank overnight so something is wrong in the gas tank.
Kikodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.