Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default Ripping through oil

Burning about a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. Just had compression test and I have 130psi in 2 and 127/128 in the other 2. Just put conventional oil in for a cycle as someone suggested it might be a ring land just not seated properly. I am noticing a patch of black specs under each tailpipe after running for a bit. Looks like carbon and water maybe oil? No smoke from tailpipe at all. 2011 WRX turbo back exhaust. High flow cats 39000 miles plus tune. Any ideas?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
ringlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336100
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
2011 sti

Default

Rings not seated at 30xxx miles. Stop listening to that person. Do a leak down test. That will give you your answer.
ringlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
SpongeBobSquarePants
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296048
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Kenilworth, NJ
Vehicle:
2011 STI
Blurple

Default

A leakdown test is in order
SpongeBobSquarePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
ringlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336100
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
2011 sti

Default

You should also research similar threads. Tons of test information. If you knew enough to run a compression test you should know what other tests are valid at this point. Start with the worst compression test then leak down test if it is OK (prob not) then you need to start taking things apart inter cooler (check for oil) down pipe same inspect turbo ect ect
ringlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

So I took my car back to Subaru for a leak down test. They are telling me it's a waste of time without an oil consumption test. They are telling me If they follow these steps and evaluate the oil burn they will fix it under warranty if its severe consumption. They are also saying SOA says a quart per 800-1000 miles is normal. Now they know I put on exhaust and tuned the car how can that be a warranty job?? No oil in the inter cooler either.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

I'm asking them to check my turbo seal and down pipe for oil.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
They are also saying SOA says a quart per 800-1000 miles is normal.
That much isn't normal.
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
ringlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336100
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
2011 sti

Default

1qt per 1k is such a bad spec that is terrible. And it seems you know how much oil you are burning. Its going somewhere
ringlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Saevus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 284152
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
White

Default

The spec on Subaru's oil consumption sheet is greater than 1qt every 1200 miles would be excessive. If you didn't tell them about the tune, they may not know or they may not care.
Saevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

I believe that Subaru gives the generous oil use spec due to their love of 5w30 oil.

Years ago, the Mazdaspeed 3 had issues with oil burning. It turned out that the recommended 5w30 oil would shear down and seep past the turbo seal. This caused smoking and massive oil consumption. Guess what Mazda's fix was ... 5w40 oil.

I tell this story to anyone who has a new turbo car which is using oil. Switch to 5w40 and see what happens ... Might be an easy fix for you, and the 40wt oil is far better for a turbo application anyhow.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Coreycarlile911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282614
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Spokane Washington
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx sti
Black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
Burning about a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. Just had compression test and I have 130psi in 2 and 127/128 in the other 2. Just put conventional oil in for a cycle as someone suggested it might be a ring land just not seated properly. I am noticing a patch of black specs under each tailpipe after running for a bit. Looks like carbon and water maybe oil? No smoke from tailpipe at all. 2011 WRX turbo back exhaust. High flow cats 39000 miles plus tune. Any ideas?
Yea next oil change hit walmart and pick up rotella T6 5w 40 its pretty cheap and is a good oil. Like the other guy said 5w 30 is just to thin even tho that's what is recommended. if you are useing mobil 1 like most people think they should use your oil consumption should go down by switching to T6.
Coreycarlile911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

Ok, consumption test done. I was told by Subaru to drive 1000 miles on the new oil change and they would drain oil and measure it to see how much I'm going through. After 550 miles I checked the oil and I had maybe a 1/4 inch on the bottom of the dipstick. At 700 miles I had no oil on the dipstick. Subaru asked me to bring in car immediately and not drive the suggested 1K. Anyway I took it in this morning and drove off in my loaner. I am curious to see what they say and what they will and will not cover under warranty.

I also am not sure what to do next. If its my rings I'd rather have AndrewTech build me a motor. What do I do with the block should Subaru offer to fix it? If Subaru fixes it does it affect my tune via accessport? What do I do next? If its requiring a rebuild should I just refuse the warranty work and drop performance pistons in and forged rods? Dilemma. Although If Subaru says they won't warranty it because of tune and slight mods I just have AndrewTech rebuild it.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
Ok, consumption test done. I was told by Subaru to drive 1000 miles on the new oil change and they would drain oil and measure it to see how much I'm going through. After 550 miles I checked the oil and I had maybe a 1/4 inch on the bottom of the dipstick. At 700 miles I had no oil on the dipstick. Subaru asked me to bring in car immediately and not drive the suggested 1K. Anyway I took it in this morning and drove off in my loaner. I am curious to see what they say and what they will and will not cover under warranty.

I also am not sure what to do next. If its my rings I'd rather have AndrewTech build me a motor. What do I do with the block should Subaru offer to fix it? If Subaru fixes it does it affect my tune via accessport? What do I do next? If its requiring a rebuild should I just refuse the warranty work and drop performance pistons in and forged rods? Dilemma. Although If Subaru says they won't warranty it because of tune and slight mods I just have AndrewTech rebuild it.
There is no dilemma. If you left your access port map on there and they see it, you are likely SOL on a warranty... I don't understand why people do not get this. You have taken the vehicle beyond stock. They don't write warranties to protect people who want to live outside of the control set.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

Well if they don't warranty it what have I lost. By bringing it to them? I didn't expect them to fix it anyway. If you read the thread I took it to them for a compression test that I paid for. I asked them to do a leak down test which I was gonna pay for. They recommended the consumption test and warranty route knowing I tuned the car. If they tell me I need new pistons ill take it to have a build done. Probably have them install PPG'S also while they have it at AndrewTech. I just need to know where the oil is going before I make the drive to Maryland.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default warranty work complete

So I picked my car up from Subaru this afternoon. They confirmed the oil loss and it was 2 quarts over 700 miles. Insanity!!!! They gave me a brand new Turbo saying i had a hairline fracture in the waste gate and there was some residual oil in the down pipe and intercooler hose. they filled me up with oil and asked me to drive another 1000 miles. Process of elimination? i guess. Seems odd to me that i could lose 2 quarts of oil from my turbo and not see smoke from my exhaust. could the cats be hiding the smoke?
Anyway, to those who say you can't walk into a dealer where you bought your car and have warranty work done after you modified it, I say yes you can. I left my car with Subaru for only 2 days and this is the service i got. To be honest i don't think this if gonna resolve the issue with oil consumption. Where the heck is my oil going?
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #16
tjmazz13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 291681
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
'04 PSM STi
Rotated Borg Warner s256

Default

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Burning about the same amount of oil as you. 130-140psi across all 4 cylinders. No leaks anywhere. Changed the pcv valve. Haven't checked turbo for shaft play or downpipe for oil but there is oil coming out of my blow off valve.
tjmazz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
Dr. octagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171127
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fred Vegas
Vehicle:
02 Cyborg Warner
Rotated

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
So I took my car back to Subaru for a leak down test. They are telling me it's a waste of time without an oil consumption test. They are telling me If they follow these steps and evaluate the oil burn they will fix it under warranty if its severe consumption. They are also saying SOA says a quart per 800-1000 miles is normal. Now they know I put on exhaust and tuned the car how can that be a warranty job?? No oil in the inter cooler either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
So I picked my car up from Subaru this afternoon. They confirmed the oil loss and it was 2 quarts over 700 miles. Insanity!!!! They gave me a brand new Turbo saying i had a hairline fracture in the waste gate and there was some residual oil in the down pipe and intercooler hose. they filled me up with oil and asked me to drive another 1000 miles. Process of elimination? i guess. Seems odd to me that i could lose 2 quarts of oil from my turbo and not see smoke from my exhaust. could the cats be hiding the smoke?
Anyway, to those who say you can't walk into a dealer where you bought your car and have warranty work done after you modified it, I say yes you can. I left my car with Subaru for only 2 days and this is the service i got. To be honest i don't think this if gonna resolve the issue with oil consumption. Where the heck is my oil going?

The following amazes me:

1. You are still driving the car knowing that it is "ripping through oil"

2. You have a warrenty, why is the car not sleeping with the dealership. Do you really believe that the dudes in the service area have any idea of what they are talking about.

3. Dealerships oil consumption test : Fill'er up and come back........oils gone......filler'up and come back....oils gone.........okay heres a brand new turbo..........fill'er up and come back.........motors blown up.

4. Take the car to the dealer with the accessport hooked up

5. When the car is blown up, you trust these dudes to "rebuild" the motor/warrenty the motor..........knowing that they know the ecu has been tuned?

6. Would a leak down test and additional compression test (hot) not put an end to the guess work?
Dr. octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

[IMG]gropen://0/Subaru%20invoice.%20.pdf?cc=1[/IMG]
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Sypher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 106366
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Blue

Default

a hair line fracture in the wastegate is NOT going to cause oil consumption issues, HOnestly if you had blown turbo seals your car would be smoking its ass off. Try this, goto a hill on an incline park your car (could be a driveway too), let it sit for about an hour so it cools off, then start it, if it puffs out blew smoke then its not your turbo its rings or valve seals.
Sypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
SlimJim8804
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241943
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2065 Magic Carpet
Swirl Rally Bleu

Default

Did I miss the results of the leakdown test?
SlimJim8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

No you haven't missed anything. Subaru didn't want to perform a leak down test. They instead gave me a new Turbo and oil change and sent me on my way. Aske me to come back in a 1000 miles. They are just wasting my time. Within a 100 miles of turbo change I've developed a vaccuum leak. I think the bov to manifold hose popped off. They want to pull my manifold to fix it and charge me $500 in labor. And they suggest I get rid of my Perrin inlet hose. Bogus man.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

I just watched the perrin inlet hose install on youtube and they claim to get it done in 30 minutes without pulling the manifold. Subaru wants to pull my manifold and charge me $500 labor and $170 for a stock intake hose. Why don't they just remove the TMIC which takes all of 2 minutes and work on it from the back side where the leak is?

I guess here in lies the problem with going to dealer mechanics modified. I'm not looking for warranty work i just want to find a qualified mechanic and if i can't find one at Subaru i guess i need to go to a shop and pay out the ass. Living in NYC we are kind of screwed with labor costs and distance to shops.

Any super qualified mechanics out there who want to help me out?
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
a hair line fracture in the wastegate is NOT going to cause oil consumption issues,
couldn't agree more
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
nate_fisher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 270482
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: albany ny
Vehicle:
2011 turbotek fxt
11.85@117 4eat xt record?

Default

Dude go some were else or just fix it yourself that hose has nothing to do with your inlet anyway. It fell off the back of your intake manifold just reach under your tmic and feel around you will be able to get it back on I have done it before. Also that perrin unit is 100x better then the stock unit I personally run it after my stock unit tore and it is a quality piece. It sounds like a leak down is in order if your turbo was eating that much oil you would be leaving james bond size smoke screen behind you.
nate_fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
SlimJim8804
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241943
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2065 Magic Carpet
Swirl Rally Bleu

Default

+1 on the leakdown test.

Head out to long island, there's a ton of good shops out there that work on/build/tune subes and evos that i'm sure would do 1000x better job helping you+ advising you, for cheaper too.
SlimJim8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.