Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
tank the ek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295911
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default Catless downpipe discussion

So I recently purchased a catless downpipe for my 2011 subaru wrx. The catless downpipe I purchased uses a divided design in contrast to the bell mouth design. From what I have studied and understood, the divided design is utilized to help separate the main stream of exhaust gases, from the gases used to bleed of from the internal waste gate.

It is common knowledge that the catless downpipe design can, and usually does create a boost creep situation, that cannot be remedied through tuning solutions. Due to this flaw, the use of an external waste gate must be installed to accurately regulate boost levels.

This all leads me to the question of why would companies design a product with a design the is aimed towards one setup (internal wastegates) while the product itself almost always requires a different setup (external wastegate)?

Am I looking at this the wrong way while there are other solutions to this issue(and if I am, please advise me on my best direction to go into) or are these products truly counteracting their purpose? I understand that companies like the one who created the product I purchased have years of research and development with their design, but this just seems crazy to me. Please, no flaming, and no pissing contest on which product is better/ bashing reputable companies. Just looking for someone with maybe a little more experience or just complete knowledge on why these products were created this way. Thanks in advance.

-Teddy
tank the ek is offline   Reply With Quote