Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #776
6SPEEEEED
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325780
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2012 STI Sedan
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino_487 View Post
matt, you should pick up his intake for a good price
Haha you're always lookin out for me!! I decided to do a drop in k&n for now. But thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
6SPEEEEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #777
jordanc15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276118
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPEEEEED View Post
Hey I'm about to go stage 2. A very basic setup. I don't need the parts, but am now concerned about why you're having clutch issues.

Is it because of going stage 2? Or something different?

I only ask because my clutch is already a little screwy, and I might want it replaced before my protune next week
As sully said it is definitely because of the power. Its just the nature of the beast sadly. The more power you make the more stuff will fail. Now, going stage 2 with an off the shelf map might be totally fine. The tune will be a lot less aggressive and will not make as much power so your clutch should hold up a bit longer. I got protuned at cobb and made 318whp and 338tq on a mustang dyno which is just too much for the stock clutch apparently.

Its definitely a lot of fun going stage 2 but you might want to start a savings fund for a heavy duty clutch if you want to keep building and make more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino_487 View Post
jordan, did that heatshield fit under the PW TMIC?
With ease
jordanc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #778
ANR62NV
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283589
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Red

Default

@ Jordan ....

Don't part your car out .... Fix the problem at hand and keep on going . Your a car enthusiast , pay to play and don't back out of the game ....
ANR62NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #779
jordanc15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276118
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR62NV View Post
@ Jordan ....

Don't part your car out .... Fix the problem at hand and keep on going . Your a car enthusiast , pay to play and don't back out of the game ....
Here is my logic. I built the car to a level that is unreliable by my standards. I drive the car hard every single time it gets driven and clearly the factory clutch could not handle it. I could put in a heavy duty clutch but then what? All of that money for.... Im just not seeing it. There is nothing else I can do to the car as far as I am concerned. You might say no you can do this and this or that and that... No, you really cant unless you want to be dropping massive amounts of money into building a transmission AND motor. I can not even run the risk of either of those breaking on me because I will not be able to afford the repair, plain and simple. All I am saying is that there is nowhere to keep going too. I want a reliable car that is fun to drive. I am by no means no longer a car enthusiast because I am thinking about selling my stuff. I just don't know what else to do with it.

Sorry for the long response, it is my honest opinion and figured others might find it interesting to see what they are getting themselves into (not to scare them off, just to educate them). Feel free to chime in, I would love to be talked off the edge but I think my decision is the responsible one.
jordanc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #780
chino_487
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209156
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanc15 View Post
Here is my logic. I built the car to a level that is unreliable by my standards. I drive the car hard every single time it gets driven and clearly the factory clutch could not handle it. I could put in a heavy duty clutch but then what? All of that money for.... Im just not seeing it. There is nothing else I can do to the car as far as I am concerned. You might say no you can do this and this or that and that... No, you really cant unless you want to be dropping massive amounts of money into building a transmission AND motor. I can not even run the risk of either of those breaking on me because I will not be able to afford the repair, plain and simple. All I am saying is that there is nowhere to keep going too. I want a reliable car that is fun to drive. I am by no means no longer a car enthusiast because I am thinking about selling my stuff. I just don't know what else to do with it.

Sorry for the long response, it is my honest opinion and figured others might find it interesting to see what they are getting themselves into (not to scare them off, just to educate them). Feel free to chime in, I would love to be talked off the edge but I think my decision is the responsible one.
I will have to partially agree with your logic. First of all, your reasoning contradicts with your car as it is. You say that at this point, it has become a money pit. In my opinion, it has been a money pit from the beginning. All those modifications will mean nothing if you go back. Take 3 steps forward to take 2 back? Personally, the money I would lose due to depreciation of the parts would be what drives me to keep it the car as is. You can always get a safer and less aggressive tune.

Additionally, clutch is a wear & tear item. Under the same logic, you should not use your star specs because you will wear them out.

Personally, I think you met your goal (with your current set up) way too fast. But you had a goal for a reason. This is what your heart desired at the time. Just 1 thing, do not ever regret your decisions of the past since you cannot change it. Look ahead.

My 2 cents.
chino_487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #781
ANR62NV
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283589
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Red

Default

You can't "drive the car hard every single time you get behind the wheel " ... Like you stated above .
I've been at a stage 2 for at least 17k miles .... No problems besides the air in my slave cylinder .....
To me , I love knowing I have the power at my disposal . But I don't feel the need to let the beast out every time I drive . The canyon takes it outta me . I rarely hit target boost in a 3 week period .
All I'm saying is , change your driving habits before you tear the car down .....

Slow and low ...
ANR62NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #782
moonlightkiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322180
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Won't be able to make it tonight. Is there gonna be another Saturday canyon run?
moonlightkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #783
chino_487
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209156
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightkiss View Post
Won't be able to make it tonight. Is there gonna be another Saturday canyon run?
maybe.
chino_487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #784
Sullycyrus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271029
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

I can't make the meet tonight I forgot that I'm going to a concert tonight. BUT, if there is a cruise; someone better tell me it might be over by that time
Sullycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #785
Sullycyrus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271029
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Jordan, keep the car parts bro... because muthafuxxinracecar. Anything that you break we will help you fix. We can teach you how to drive conservatively
Sullycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #786
LASOOBIE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314389
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Monica
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

I would say you keep the parts Jordan. The car will be the perfect daily driver once you upgrade to a ACT clutch or something along those lines. i have been on same ACT clutch for 40k now. You will be losing more money selling your current setup and it would be less fun when you want to go vroom. You aren't taking anything away from your reliability with the setup you have now. If you drive hard every day, **** is going to break no matter what you do... Stop being a knucklehead 18 yr old or however young you are and chill out unless you are at the track or those canyons that we never really drive in .

Right now your car breathes better and is better cooled. You just need that last piece and you are done. The car looks and sounds great and it would just be a waste of all that time and effort. Now if you were talking about holding off on race car, I could definitely understand. Do the upgrade and you will be fine and still be able to giggle like a little kid when you open that valve on the weekends.
LASOOBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #787
jordanc15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276118
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Ummm is anyone coming? I'm here alone right now
jordanc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #788
legacyvt286
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87747
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Venice, CA.
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Finally got my Sti Pinks, now I just need to get em installed. Recommendations on a garage that ain't gonna rape me? Anybody have the tools and experience to do this themselves?
legacyvt286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #789
dirtslayer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 242550
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx wag
olive drab

Default

I can do the swap for you if your on the westside. Have plenty of exp with this. Pm me
dirtslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #790
chino_487
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209156
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyvt286 View Post
Finally got my Sti Pinks, now I just need to get em installed. Recommendations on a garage that ain't gonna rape me? Anybody have the tools and experience to do this themselves?
on stock shocks?
chino_487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #791
mcspatula
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183933
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Vehicle:
420 DGM WRX
Unicorn Powered

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyvt286 View Post
Finally got my Sti Pinks, now I just need to get em installed. Recommendations on a garage that ain't gonna rape me? Anybody have the tools and experience to do this themselves?
STI pinks on the stock 08 dampers?
mcspatula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #792
chino_487
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209156
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspatula View Post
STI pinks on the stock 08 dampers?
that's what I want to know...

maybe he is saving up for KONIs?
chino_487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #793
legacyvt286
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87747
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Venice, CA.
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Right you are Chino! Not even saving up, just waiting on the arrival of. I know there are some people out there who have run pinks with the stock struts & while it's less than ideal, it's not the worst. That being said, I'll have to just not be so eager and wait for my Konis to get here.
legacyvt286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #794
mcspatula
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183933
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Vehicle:
420 DGM WRX
Unicorn Powered

Default

Definitely worth the wait. Pinks + stock 08 dampers = blown dampers in a heartbeat. Hell, you could sneeze at them and watch them crumble.
mcspatula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #795
Evlm0d
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 112174
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Cali
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
CBS

Default

Hey, y'all. New to SCIC, but been on here for a while. So not tomorrow, but next week on top of the Best Buy off Pico?
Evlm0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #796
jordanc15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276118
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlm0d View Post
Hey, y'all. New to SCIC, but been on here for a while. So not tomorrow, but next week on top of the Best Buy off Pico?
Yep you are correct!
jordanc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #797
rawrbot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354450
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch ISM

Default

New to SCIC (and NASIOC) and hoping to make it next week as well!
rawrbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #798
ad_lib
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343004
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STi Hatch
Blue

Default

'nother noob here, gonna try to make it out next week as well
ad_lib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #799
Sullycyrus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271029
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default

Everyone better make it! Jordan and I have a couple little additions to our cars
Sullycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #800
LASOOBIE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314389
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Monica
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Dont you mean Jordan made subtractions and you made additions?
LASOOBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.