Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
** Ring Time of
7:43.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
^^^
this, why not make it 650hp and be done with it, this way they dont have to keep playing catchup to jap's Godzilla , its not like they cant afford/ able to do it.
see GT2
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White out View Post
see GT2
See 2x the cost of a godzilla.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
aschen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30733
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston texas
Vehicle:
2007 tiny car
striped

Default

Catch up to godzira? The previous turbo/turbo s had similar performance to the gtr. Of course the porsche is much more expensive, they always have been more expensive than their japanese and american competitors but cheaper than the italians.

Hell gtrs arn't exactly bargain priced anymore.
aschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
DeeezNuuuts83
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34406
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX
graphite gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Doesn't this seem like it will continue to lose to the GT-R in lap time pissing matches? As in, I was actually expecting more HP and more technology with this iteration.
I agree. The recent press release tried to point that out, especially with the time of "well below seven-and-a-half minutes" (or however they worded it) while pointing out that it was on the factory street tires (which is a slight jab at the GT-R considering Porsche's past accusations of Nissan using special tires but more of a shot at GM since the Z06 and ZR1 used in recent runs had the Sport Cup tires).

However, I believe they were talking about the Turbo S with those lap times, as the regular strength Turbo won't be as quick but they won't ever brag about its lap times. It contrasts to how Nissan never released any official lap times of any of the special GT-Rs (like the SpecV) or even lap times of recent GT-Rs. Either way, I don't see why Porsche is fixated on making a reference to their cars' times anymore. It's not really a selling point anymore.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
1971 240Z

Default

While I 100% agree on the times thing, never underestimate the diminutive size of the male Porsche Buyers Penis. They need bragging rights. HAHA
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
DeeezNuuuts83
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34406
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX
graphite gray

Default

For the single, unmarried owners, that is.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
** Ring Time of
7:43.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
See 2x the cost of a godzilla.
Doesn't matter. Porsche is better than ANYONE else at getting any dollar amount they want for a car. No idea how they do it, but they do.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
Integra96
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64196
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Family Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
While I 100% agree on the times thing, never underestimate the diminutive size of the male Porsche Buyers Penis. They need bragging rights. HAHA
I'd happily be known as the guy with a small penis to drive a 911 Turbo. A base Cayman is far more appealing to me than a Gojira.
Integra96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

This new 911 just hurts my head.....
cannedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
Frank A
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49979
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD, US
Vehicle:
11 dgm wrx hatch
08 black TA STI

Default

I'm just wondering if Porsche is reaching a packaging limitation with the 911 in terms of cooling. I saw a 911 3.6L engine out of the car the other day for the first time and I was suprised by how big it is. There's so little room back there when you look at all the work Porsche has to do with routing the exhaust and coolant lines.

Porsche originally maintained that there would never be a turbo version of the Cayman because of limited room for cooling. Of course there are plenty of mid-engine exotics with aftermarket turbo solutions, but with the conservative approaches taken by OEM manufacturers, I do wonder if Porsche feels like they can only push the package so far...
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
spaceywilly
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174268
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Providence
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
I'd happily be known as the guy with a small penis to drive a 911 Turbo. A base Cayman is far more appealing to me than a Gojira.
A base cayman is also more appealing to me than this 911, or any other car that only comes in auto.
spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #37
Spenk
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7164
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I Appear Missing
Vehicle:
2000 Miata LS
Evo Orange Mica (1/644)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post
A base cayman is also more appealing to me than this 911, or any other car that only comes in auto.
Seconded. I'd take a lightly-optioned base Boxster or Cayman over any of the high-zoot models.
Spenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #38
DeeezNuuuts83
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34406
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX
graphite gray

Default

^ Personally I'd at least want the S model of either of those.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
^ Personally I'd at least want the S model of either of those.
I'd rather have the GTR if they're going to both have duel clutch, AWD.
cannedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
alphaomega0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147678
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: montreal
Vehicle:
07 wrx
obsidien black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White out View Post
see GT2
GT2 is really a track oriented car, or is sold as such. the 911 turbo S and the gtr are more day to day cars with the track capability. having said that, 99% of the owners of either cars will never track it. the point of having spend all that money on a 911 turbo S is about ooohhhh my expensive car is this fast and can go x-miles, but when you have the GTR which is not suppose to be in the same league in terms of price point kinda ruins it for the rich guys. either way 500 hp or 700 dosent matter much in the end, all these old farts i see driving porches are always doing 100km on the highway or they drive at 20% of what the car is really capable of.

Last edited by alphaomega0; 05-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.
alphaomega0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #41
Skanky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 10434
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2006 Impretsah STi
Aspen white

Default

No manual. No want.




No afford.
Skanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #42
bal00
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54772
Join Date: Feb 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
but when you have the GTR which is not suppose to be in the same league in terms of price point kinda ruins it for the rich guys.
Why? Did anyone really expect Porsche to compete with Nissan on price?
bal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #43
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Vehicle:
2011 Subaru STI
2014 Crosstrek XV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky View Post
No manual. No want.




No afford.
Hah. That my favorite line no - no afford, no care.
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #44
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
** Ring Time of
7:43.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
I'm just wondering if Porsche is reaching a packaging limitation with the 911 in terms of cooling. I saw a 911 3.6L engine out of the car the other day for the first time and I was suprised by how big it is. There's so little room back there when you look at all the work Porsche has to do with routing the exhaust and coolant lines.

Porsche originally maintained that there would never be a turbo version of the Cayman because of limited room for cooling. Of course there are plenty of mid-engine exotics with aftermarket turbo solutions, but with the conservative approaches taken by OEM manufacturers, I do wonder if Porsche feels like they can only push the package so far...
Cayman can't be boosted because it can't surpass 911.
Cooling has never been an issue. 3 radiators and 10000000000ft of large tubing is very efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
GT2 is really a track oriented car, or is sold as such. the 911 turbo S and the gtr are more day to day cars with the track capability. having said that, 99% of the owners of either cars will never track it. the point of having spend all that money on a 911 turbo S is about ooohhhh my expensive car is this fast and can go x-miles, but when you have the GTR which is not suppose to be in the same league in terms of price point kinda ruins it for the rich guys. either way 500 hp or 700 dosent matter much in the end, all these old farts i see driving porches are always doing 100km on the highway or they drive at 20% of what the car is really capable of.
Magazine racers with money will always buy the "fastest" car.
Also, never under estimate Porsche purists.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #45
alphaomega0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147678
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: montreal
Vehicle:
07 wrx
obsidien black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bal00 View Post
Why? Did anyone really expect Porsche to compete with Nissan on price?
no, was saying that a GTR which cost much less is a better performer, which is kinda a slap in the face for porsche owners
alphaomega0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #46
bal00
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54772
Join Date: Feb 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
no, was saying that a GTR which cost much less is a better performer
a) we don't know how the new Turbo performs
b) of course a Nissan of similar performance is gonna be cheaper than a Porsche

If what you're after is the best performance/dollar ratio, you don't buy a Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini. If a brand like Nissan or Chevy charge Carrera S-money for, it better be faster.
bal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
DeeezNuuuts83
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34406
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX
graphite gray

Default

The more I look at this, the more I think it's the best looking out of all of the 991s to come out. The GT3 just has that weird front end that hasn't yet grown on me, while the standard Carreras are handsome but not nearly as aggressive looking as the Turbo. But frankly, it's the least appealing of the 911 lineup to me in terms of what it offers.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.