Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Dealership Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
Keyser
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (5)

Member#: 82168
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
07 dyno-comp'd
CGM WRX Wagon

Thumbs up

Had routine service performed at Avondale Subaru and highly recommend these guys! They treat their customers with respect and I would trust them any day with my 07 WRX Wagon.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
bonehead
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 244251
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STi
DGM

Second thread revival from the dead. I think some of the dealers mentioned here don't even exist anymore in the Valley.

Any recent experiences with the Phoenix dealers? Looking to get into a '11 STI sedan. Most have been unhelpful to say the least.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
"lego"
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 263187
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
92 Legacy 2.5

stay away from camelback..the so called master tech really doesnt know what he is doing...check out the new dealership off bell road and the 101..good guy works there
"lego" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
BretAZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320866

Anybody in the Phoenix area have an opinion on the 4 dealerhships that are left for service? Just bought an 2012 Impreza Sport from Power and want to know where to take it should I need something under warranty.
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #30
Fozzie23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323501
Vehicle:
2010 FXT "Stg 1"
DGM

I think Camelback Subaru is great. My family and I have used them since August of 2009. The service manager I work with usually is Robert Frank and he's a nice and very helpful guy. He makes sure any issues you have are taken care of. My brother got his '11 WRX from Peoria Subaru and I got my old subie serviced from them a few times. My brother did not like his experience there so he switched over to Camelback. My brother's clutch went bad farely quick because he learned how to drive manual on it. Camelback gave my brother a goodwill and replaced it free of charge because there was no signs of aggressive driving. Hope this helped.
Fozzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)

Member#: 329025
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Robert Frank lied to me. He was nice when he did it though. BTW, he's now with the Volkswagen dealership which is owned by the same people.

Camelback Subaru pushes their mechanics to upsell customers work they don't need. They tried to sell me brake pads I didn't need. Unfortunately for them I did all my own work for 30 years. I had the car in for their free oil change offer. Also their parts department consistently asks around 20% above MSRP for every part I price with them.

I also had a problem with Camelback Toyota when I had an MR2. They wanted to charge me $400 more than the estimate when I picked it up after some A/C work. The bill was about what the car was worth so I told them they could keep it. They backed off and charged me the estimated price.

Camelback Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, ABC Nissan and most the dealers on Camelback road except Courtesy Chevrolet are owned by the Van Tuyl group. I won't do business with them unless I have to. I buy my parts from Power Subaru, Peoria Subaru or online.

It's a shame because I like Shaun, the mechanic I dealt with most at Camelback Subaru. He treats each car he works on as if it was his own. He'd been working on it ever since I bought it new in 2002.

Last edited by CalvinT; 11-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
CalvinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #32
fury211
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 233750
Vehicle:
2008 wrx
WRB

Just brought my wrx on E85 there for some work on my 2008 wrx.

I needed a steering rack replaced. I asked them to check some noise I was getting from my aftermarket downpipe possibly rubbing against the firewall.

I'll say the positives are:

Shaun was a nice tech. very knowledgeable and friendly.
Robert Frank was awesome to deal with for the service management.
Marcos was a great parts guy and very knowledgeable.

the negatives are, I developed a noticeable rod knock in their care. it was not making the noise going in. Now the law of averages meets up with murphy's law here a lot of the time, but I'm not happy about having to replace a motor 2 days until my first child is due. I can't prove anything but I have to say it was really unfortunate to bring in a car and have it go to a noticeable rod knock overnight.

That being said I liked the rest of the experience there. everyone is really friendly.
fury211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #33
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

I'm glad Robert Frank was nice to you. He lied to me. I had a problem with peeling paint. He told me the Subaru rep would be visiting on Thursday. So I showed up Thursday and he said the rep had been there the day before. Then he told me that the Subaru rep doesn't talk to customers.

Also be careful going there. The techs are under a lot of pressure to sell extra work. Also their parts department usually quotes prices 25% above the MSRP that's given by any of the online dealers.

Again, I really like Shaun. I think he's very sharp and ethical. Also Marcos explained to me how the Subaru parts book is organized. It's by assemblies when the car was built. For example, the rear auxiliary power outlet for a 2002 Outback Sport isn't under electrical but under rear compartment trim. That's because it was put in when the rear paneling was installed, not when the car was wired.

I can't see how the knock could have developed while in their care. They wouldn't have been working on the engine. And they don't have the time to do more than a quick test drive, if it was driven at all. I do agree it's suspicious. But I think it's probably coincidental. How long did they have the car?

Last edited by CalvinT; 11-29-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
fury211
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 wrx
WRB

Deleted

Last edited by fury211; 12-01-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: deleting
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #35
thrashdu2002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199949
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT
I'm glad Robert Frank was nice to you. He lied to me. I had a problem with peeling paint. He told me the Subaru rep would be visiting on Thursday. So I showed up Thursday and he said the rep had been there the day before. Then he told me that the Subaru rep doesn't talk to customers.

Also be careful going there. The techs are under a lot of pressure to sell extra work. Also their parts department usually quotes prices 25% above the MSRP that's given by any of the online dealers.

Again, I really like Shaun. I think he's very sharp and ethical. Also Marcos explained to me how the Subaru parts book is organized. It's by assemblies when the car was built. For example, the rear auxiliary power outlet for a 2002 Outback Sport isn't under electrical but under rear compartment trim. That's because it was put in when the rear paneling was installed, not when the car was wired.

I can't see how the knock could have developed while in their care. They wouldn't have been working on the engine. And they don't have the time to do more than a quick test drive, if it was driven at all. I do agree it's suspicious. But I think it's probably coincidental. How long did they have the car?
Not to be a jerk and im strictly talking about the 25% markup on parts...but most all internet business's dont have overhead. Since i use to sale cars i cant begin to tell you how extremely important it is to maintain a profit margin that allows you to pay bills and make some money for yourself. This country wasnt made on people not being successful.
thrashdu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
fury211
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 wrx
WRB

They had the car for a day , quick turn around for a steering rack. Very happy with that.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
fury211
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 wrx
WRB

New update, I took my rod knock over to Forced Air tuning and Rob was amazing help.
turns out that it was a coincidence for camelback to have taken my car in for a steering rack and delivered it with a rod knock sound.

The rod knock I was experiencing was from my flywheel bolts being backed out.

The flywheel was damaged and FAT had to get it machined but it's back in and running fine.

The torque Wrench I had used when I did my STI trans swap was crappy and didn't keep the fasteners in to the specified torque.
This was completely my bad and nothing to do with camelback subaru's service department.

your mileage may vary going to any service department but for my money and opinion, i'd go back there again to get serviced.

Tl;DR - My ****up, not camelback's.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #38
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashdu2002 View Post
Not to be a jerk and im strictly talking about the 25% markup on parts...but most all internet business's dont have overhead. Since i use to sale cars i cant begin to tell you how extremely important it is to maintain a profit margin that allows you to pay bills and make some money for yourself. This country wasnt made on people not being successful.
As I said previously, Camelback Subaru charges more than MSRP for parts. Power Subaru charges full MSRP. The Subaru Superstore in Chandler gives me a 25% discount which is wholesale, the same price they'd charge a garage. And I didn't have to ask for it. I just mentioned NASIOC.

So, here's a bricks and mortar dealer matching internet prices. They have full overhead yet beat Camelback by 30% or more for parts. You tell me if the other dealers are profiteering or not.

By the way, both Subaru Superstore and Peoria Subaru sell on the internet.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #39
Mk3Design
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (-1)

Member#: 123512

I'm currently in the market for a 2013 WRX. Looking online, Camelback is closest to me and seems to have a better stock and better prices on WRX's... It looks like most of the reviews on here are for service/parts.. Does anyone have any recent experience with buying at Camelback?
Mk3Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #40
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Just make sure they will honor the price on the website. It's a Van Tuyl dealership. Google Van Tuyl group to get a list of their dealerships, then look up the Yelp ratings.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #41
az ru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3Design View Post
I'm currently in the market for a 2013 WRX. Looking online, Camelback is closest to me and seems to have a better stock and better prices on WRX's... It looks like most of the reviews on here are for service/parts.. Does anyone have any recent experience with buying at Camelback?

check out tuscon subaru i got the best price on my moms fozzy in they had a bunch of wrxs and sti's good people down there. i got my sti from peoria subaru i got a good deal but tuscon subaru was way easier to deal with

i tried to buy a black sti at camelback but the salesman assumed i couldnt afford it and didnt even want to show me the car so i left

subaru superstore sucks i wont ever go there again

Last edited by az ru; 05-15-2013 at 11:11 PM.
az ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #42
bnasty49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351310
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Crystal B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3Design
I just purchased a 2013 WRX from Alex at Camelback. Very awesome experience there! We talked to a few dealerships and none of them could even come close to Camelbacks 28,100 on a base model sedan.
bnasty49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
azsun
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 351553
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Had an awesome experience at Subaru Superstore in Chandler, but I had a fleet discount from work at that dealership and no other subi's in the valley so can't really compare... Great service department though and the guy I worked with (if I could remember his name) wasn't pushy at all, and didn't give me the young kid buying a car treatment I got at mazda.
azsun is offline   Reply With Quote