Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #51
cny12owner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322250
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 2.0i Prem
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_24 View Post
Two tanks in a row with over 37mpg calculated. The dash display was at 39.3 and 39.6.
The CVT is doing it job. The warmer weather and must be to the summer blend gas are helping. The gas still has 10% ethanol. Same commute in the winter was yielding 30 to 32mpg.

One of these days I should get the display adjusted, but I haven't had any other issues with the car to justify a stay at the dealership. Odometer 22,000+
Easy to do. Reposting from another topic, I spent the weekend chasing around the Finger Lakes area of NY, not what I'd call flat by any means, lots of rolling hills, and was sitting at 36 MPG on the display with about 330 miles on the tank. At one point, I was over 40 MPG, however some crosswinds, cooler night air, and some brief runs on the interstate brought that down a little. Even with around 30 miles of 'city' type driving today, I'm still at 35.7 MPG and two bars left on the fuel gauge (fillup tomorrow after work, very interested to see the calculated numbers). Looking like it might be my best tank yet in the 17,200+ miles I've put on the car. CVT, of course, and even played with the paddle shifters some.

I think a big part of getting good gas mileage with these cars is spending the seat time in them, tinkering with your driving style to see what produces the best numbers. Obviously myrt1987 has that mastered , while others (who shall remain nameless) just can't seem to do it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cny12owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #52
cny12owner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322250
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 2.0i Prem
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Final numbers on the tank were 377.6 miles, MPG worked out to 33.0, with 35.1 showing on the display. Got 60 miles on the next tank already, and showing 36.0 MPG on the display.
cny12owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #53
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny12owner View Post
I think a big part of getting good gas mileage with these cars is spending the seat time in them, tinkering with your driving style to see what produces the best numbers. Obviously myrt1987 has that mastered , while others (who shall remain nameless) just can't seem to do it.
Getting good mpg with a CVT Impreza is easy. Just slow down. Waaaay down.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #54
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Wink

No need to slow down, just drive the speed limit. It safer for everyone one on the road and you get great mpg
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #55
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caocao View Post
No need to slow down, just drive the speed limit. It safer for everyone one on the road and you get great mpg
Everything is relative. If you are comparing to a big SUV yes, it's great mpg. Comparing to my other car that's also rated at 36 mpg highway EPA it's not. At the speed limit on my commute the Impreza CVT gets 10 mpg less than my other car. Granted, some variation is expected - but 10 mpg is beyond the pale
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #56
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Default

So i would say move or sell your impreza! Or hang around and keep bitching...
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #57
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

It is a lot easier to blame the CVT for your poor mileage than your driving style, odd how some people are getting the EPA numbers driving at the EPA tested highway speeds but your car is 10mpg beyond the pale.

Try driving slower, 80-85mph might be the typical highway speed where you live, but it isn't what the EPA tested and it ain't gonna win you a misrepresentation lawsuit...

But always nice to see you spouting your nonsense, even on a thread full of CVT drivers meeting or exceeding the EPA numbers.

All anecdotal evidence from a public subaru forum, but of course to an independent observer, so are your crappy mpg numbers (insert dope slap).

I know, I know, you read and quote professional drivers...so can I, LOL:

Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #58
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
It is a lot easier to blame the CVT for your poor mileage than your driving style, odd how some people are getting the EPA numbers driving at the EPA tested highway speeds but your car is 10mpg beyond the pale.
I've never seen someone who tries to spin things like you. Call it dishonest, liar, cheat, but maybe that's just me.

Cars that are highway rated at 30 mpg typically get 36 mpg driving at the EPA tested highway speeds too, and you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

Try driving slower, 80-85mph might be the typical highway speed where you live, but it isn't what the EPA tested and it ain't gonna win you a misrepresentation lawsuit...
75 is the limit here buckaroo, but we've been over that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

But always nice to see you spouting your nonsense, even on a thread full of CVT drivers meeting or exceeding the EPA numbers.
Well, I don't know about "full" but there are a few, doubtless driving flatland at "the EPA tested speeds" or maybe a few even more, leading to more questions about manufacturing QC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

All anecdotal evidence from a public subaru forum, but of course to an independent observer, so are your crappy mpg numbers (insert dope slap).

I know, I know, you read and quote professional drivers...so can I, LOL:
Check some of their other tests. Hardly representative driving, unless you consider 50 mpg in a 37 mpg Yaris, or 45 mpg in a Mazda3 typical.

But we've been over all this lots of times. You left the truth a long time ago.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #59
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caocao View Post
So i would say move or sell your impreza! Or hang around and keep bitching...
Subaru has the capability to increase the real world mpg with the CVT, but at a cost of reducing the testing mpg. Will they actually do their consumers a favor and do that? Not if we all run away with our tails between our legs or just dumb down and think it's normal.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #60
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Default

Ok so you chose to hang around and keep bitching. Good for you! Btw, i still get great mpg with my cvt following the speed limit or slightly above. There's no reason for me to bitch at this time because my car does exactly what the sticker said it would or better.

I love my mpg!
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #61
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
But always nice to see you spouting your nonsense
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
I've never seen someone who tries to spin things like you.
You think if you guys met on the street youd be cordial or just continue the feud? lol

Or maybe settle it once and for all with a good ol' fashioned dance-off...
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #62
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
You think if you guys met on the street youd be cordial or just continue the feud? lol

Or maybe settle it once and for all with a good ol' fashioned dance-off...
Just the facts...
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #63
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Just the facts...
LOL, just the facts = someone getting EPA numbers is anecdotal evidence.

Someone not getting the numbers is proof that Subaru gamed the EPA.

Spin? Pot, meet kettle. Or maybe you live where pot is legal, and are hitting it too often?
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #64
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
You think if you guys met on the street youd be cordial or just continue the feud? lol

Or maybe settle it once and for all with a good ol' fashioned dance-off...
Nah we just disagree, he thinks my facts are opinions, or anybody who claims to be getting EPA numbers with their impreza is lying or driving in a zero gravity environment (flat land, actually). He also thinks that because the EPA rating is 36mpg, we should all expect much higher than that, because, hey, isn't that a reasonable expectation if his corolla does better than EPA ratings and two standard deviations and....

And I continually point out his "facts" are really just his opinions.

A neutral observer can read the evidence, as presented, and decide. No fisticuffs are needed in this case.

As to the facts? It is a fact that some people are getting the EPA numbers or better driving a CVT impreza at the highway speeds the EPA uses for their estimates.

It is also a fact that some drivers do not get these numbers.

The reasons why seem obvious when you look into the 'style' of driving, the speed they are driving it, and the distances they are driving it.

Well, among those factors the 'style' is hard to quantify, of course.

But there is pretty good evidence on the forum, including at least one case of a father/son who have very different mpg outcomes driving the same exact car around town...

But if how the car is driven affects mpg's, that would not make the Impreza an outlier. All cars have varying mpg's depending much upon how they are driven. This is not blaming the victim, it is factual.

I have already conceded that the Impreza is unlikely to exceed the EPA numbers much, even with hypermiling. It is easy and possible to get crappy mpgs if you never let it warm up, or drive it too fast, or aggressively.

By the way, it is also a fact that Consumer Reports recommends the car for its excellent mpg's for an AWD car. Not too shabby, should keep his trade in value high when he goes to pick up his next corolla.

PS: And like him, I can compare my Impreza to my previous FWD 2008 Hyundai Elantra, also a 5 speed. On the same exact drive, same speeds, and same driver (me) that car exceeded its EPA rating by about 1-2mpg (so it got 3.5mpg better than my Impreza for the same exact drive). The Impreza only meets the EPA combined number. Don't expect me to sharpen my pitchfork for a protest march on the EPA/SOA.

Last edited by Zeeper; 05-23-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: edited to irritate vwgti
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #65
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

This is a cross-post, but thought I would add it here too:

Basically the new Forester with the 2.5 engine gets just as good if not better mileage than the Impreza/XV:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2508038

Quote:
the Forester now delivers quicker acceleration, as well as a class-leading 26 mpg overall and 35 mpg on the highway in our tests.
Angelus911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #66
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
But there is pretty good evidence on the forum, including at least one case of a father/son who have very different mpg outcomes driving the same exact car around town...
That would be me. When my wife drives the car, she gets better mileage than both of us. Go figure...
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #67
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

I get the same mpg as my '03 civic did. city and highway. The Impreza weighs more, is a larger vehicle, has awd, more power, and a roof rack. I love my imp.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #68
BazookaBlue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320177
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Live Free or Die N'Hampsha!
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Nice to know others are very pleased with their mpg's as well. This subie has been performing as expected and actually exceeding expectations.
BazookaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #69
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Nah we just disagree, he thinks my facts are opinions, or anybody who claims to be getting EPA numbers with their impreza is lying or driving in a zero gravity environment (flat land, actually). He also thinks that because the EPA rating is 36mpg, we should all expect much higher than that, because, hey, isn't that a reasonable expectation if his corolla does better than EPA ratings and two standard deviations and....
What a bunch of rambling - and mental confusion at that. Interesting that he would confuse 2 standard deviations with 5 standard deviations.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2477627

Another illumination of his derangement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
And I continually point out his "facts" are really just his opinions.
Yep, more confirmation of his confusion. I'm beginning to think it's Alzheimer's. My facts are based on professional drivers' experiences, his "facts" are based on whether somebody is happy with their mpg or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

But if how the car is driven affects mpg's, that would not make the Impreza an outlier.
Go back and look at 5 standard deviations instead of your straw man 2 standard deviations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

All cars have varying mpg's depending much upon how they are driven. This is not blaming the victim, it is factual.

I have already conceded that the Impreza is unlikely to exceed the EPA numbers much, even with hypermiling. It is easy and possible to get crappy mpgs if you never let it warm up, or drive it too fast, or aggressively.
LOL - again "all you have to do is hypermile". Like I said, I've gotten a legitimate 50 mpg. It was just driving really sloooowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
By the way, it is also a fact that Consumer Reports recommends the car for its excellent mpg's for an AWD car.
"For an AWD car." Not in comparison with other vehicles rated the same highway mpg.

P.S. I rented a new Corolla this weekend and the mpg sucked. Not as bad as the CVT Impreza, but it still sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

PS: And like him, I can compare my Impreza to my previous FWD 2008 Hyundai Elantra, also a 5 speed. On the same exact drive, same speeds, and same driver (me) that car exceeded its EPA rating by about 1-2mpg (so it got 3.5mpg better than my Impreza for the same exact drive). The Impreza only meets the EPA combined number. Don't expect me to sharpen my pitchfork for a protest march on the EPA/SOA.
Also again, the problem is with the CVT, not the 5mt, and we're not talking about 3.5 mpg, we're talking about 8 to 10 mpg.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #70
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaBlue View Post
Nice to know others are very pleased with their mpg's as well. This subie has been performing as expected and actually exceeding expectations.
That's fine, I'm happy for you. However, "pleased" is an opinion not a fact about the relative performance of the vehicle. Is it a CVT or 5mt?
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #71
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

LOL, Consumer Reports must be confused, after all, 5 standard deviations, and stevehnm's best spreadsheets, and they still publish this rave review and recommend the car for its impressive mpg's for an AWD car!


I guess Consumer Reports just isn't as smart as our resident troll, stevenhnm, psml
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #72
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Yup, 8-10mpg between my impreza 5mt and your corolla. I get 29mpg (in zero wind) at 80, your corolla gets 38+......


Are you going to complain to the epa about the new corolla getting crap mileage too? Maybe Toyota gamed the testing as well, I think you should go start a campaign over at the corolla forums
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #73
John451
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321966
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydneys South, Australia
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i H
Black Pearl

Default

Must admit to enjoying the CVTs impressive mpgs on trips even with a load of 3 adults, 2 children and fully packed with luggage.

The trip computer may be slightly optimistic 5.8 to 6.0 Vs a calculated regular 6.2 to 6.4L per 100kms at 100kph on long trips being normal. Noting only use Premium fuel now as found the car really doesn't like Regular.
John451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #74
BazookaBlue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320177
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Live Free or Die N'Hampsha!
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
That's fine, I'm happy for you. However, "pleased" is an opinion not a fact about the relative performance of the vehicle. Is it a CVT or 5mt?
You don't need to be "happy" for me because that is irrelevant. Been doing the same drive for 15 years and this is the first car that has exceeded the expected performance, so yeah I'm "pleased". Read the first 3 posts and you can tell if I have a CVT or MT.
BazookaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #75
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

I'm pleased to see so many others enjoying the scoobie as I do. I think it's almost the perfect blend of sport, ability, agility, cargo carrying, and the go anywhere characteristics subaru's are known for. And all of this with major fuel savings, reliability and a touch of class for a reasonable initial costs. My trucks haul more, my sports cars are better performers, and my Tahoe can haul more people. But none of those can do all of the other things as well. I stepped out of a very nice 3/4 ton Ram into this for my daily driver. I think it is my favorite vehicle I've owned thus far.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.