Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewxxcarlson View Post

I have an e-tune for both fuels from Eric @ TP. When the winter months come around I'm gonna log for him and see what compensations he can make for the lower octane. I'm just curious as I would probably switch back to 91, even though that's crap gas here in Cali, to save gas.
When was the last datalog u ran?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Summer View Post

When was the last datalog u ran?
A couple days ago during the tuning. Before I blew the top seam of my radiator at 100k.
Andrewxxcarlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewxxcarlson View Post

A couple days ago during the tuning. Before I blew the top seam of my radiator at 100k.
DAM all 1? All zeroes on the knock?
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Summer View Post

DAM all 1? All zeroes on the knock?
Yessir, just bought a radiator so when so when everything's buttoned up ill throw up a log!
Andrewxxcarlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripintaz View Post
e85 is very available in south Florida so it depends where in FL he is moving.

very available in very small areas

not worth the hassle in florida......and if the op can not tune it himself for the inconsistancies in fuel.....not worth the bs involved to keep the tune right

i really have thought at great length about this.....and the answer wont change just because you want it to
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewxxcarlson View Post

Yessir, just bought a radiator so when so when everything's buttoned up ill throw up a log!
It was just weird how Eric's map screwed up my friends plugs.
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Summer View Post

It was just weird how Eric's map screwed up my friends plugs.
Has he talked to Eric? How many miles on the plugs?
Andrewxxcarlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
Tripintaz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245218
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2013 STI Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post

very available in very small areas

not worth the hassle in florida......and if the op can not tune it himself for the inconsistancies in fuel.....not worth the bs involved to keep the tune right

i really have thought at great length about this.....and the answer wont change just because you want it to
I don't care if my factual statement changes your opinion or not. ::shrug::

The OP is the one that needs to make the choice anyhow. He might see things differently. Only giving an alternate view.
Tripintaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewxxcarlson View Post

Has he talked to Eric? How many miles on the plugs?
9k on the car total. How many miles on Eric's tunes? Not too sure. Eric's tunes are history. My friend went w a protune on e85 today!
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #35
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripintaz View Post
I don't care if my factual statement changes your opinion or not. ::shrug::

The OP is the one that needs to make the choice anyhow. He might see things differently. Only giving an alternate view.

your only FACT is that there is VERY VERY limited e85 availability in forida and it is---really...only a couple counties....get out of those counties and ya got NONE AT ALL for hundreds of miles....way beyond the range of the vehicle

and not being able to tune for the difference between e70 and e85 makes the inability of bein able to tune for those a deal breaker

if you cant get on the road and drive all day and get the fuel you are tuned for...it aint worth the hassle

facts

those are the facts
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
Tripintaz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245218
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2013 STI Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post

your only FACT is that there is VERY VERY limited e85 availability in forida and it is---really...only a couple counties....get out of those counties and ya got NONE AT ALL for hundreds of miles....way beyond the range of the vehicle

and not being able to tune for the difference between e70 and e85 makes the inability of bein able to tune for those a deal breaker

if you cant get on the road and drive all day and get the fuel you are tuned for...it aint worth the hassle

facts

those are the facts
There is no e70 around here. It is all e85. Also if you have an AP you can carry multiple tunes with you. And how do you know the OP drives 200+ miles away from where he would live on a daily basis? Obviously if you go on a road trip you would plan to run 93. But going to work and back and around town?

Your facts are true but half of it is based on your opinion. I live in South Florida, I have an AP which I tune my own car but the OP could have a local tuner make multiple maps, and I don't drive beyond e85 stations on a regular basis.

Fact: I live in Florida and e85 is viable in my area as a daily option. I'll give you a hint. I visited the Nasioc server at its home last week. I wish I could slap a sticker on it but the owner might be annoyed. Its a pretty server.

You're not always right just because you type with conviction. Maybe YOU don't want to deal with e85. Hell do you even live in Florida anymore? Maybe the OP doesn't agree with your OPINIONS of inconvenience.

Bottom line the OP needs to decide if e85 is viable for him/her. Ruling out all of Florida was your opinion. I offered an differing opinion. I didn't mean to rustle your Jimmy's by voicing an alternative opinion.
Tripintaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

there are less than 50 e85 stations in the whole state of florida.

that is a FACT....i just went and looked that up

THAT is not a viable option for most

and do you even think that your fuel is in fact...always....e85???

do YOU test it???

do YOU know that it isnt actually e70 in the winter and e85 in the summer??

do YOU really know anything at all about e85 and its vagarities???

yeah

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations/e85-florida/

http://alternative-fuel.findthedata....hanol-(E85)/FL
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
there are less than 50 e85 stations in the whole state of florida.

that is a FACT....i just went and looked that up

THAT is not a viable option for most

and do you even think that your fuel is in fact...always....e85???

do YOU test it???

do YOU know that it isnt actually e70 in the winter and e85 in the summer??

do YOU really know anything at all about e85 and its vagarities???

yeah

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations/e85-florida/

http://alternative-fuel.findthedata....hanol-(E85)/FL
For what it's worth, there are a lot of stations by me on Long Island that aren't of the stations list under NY
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
teesutt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127940
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: One Big Ass Mistake America
Vehicle:
*
Evil shenanigans

Default

e85 is not regulated. It can be advertised as e85 and not be. There are speedway gas stations here in town that sell "e85" and when you pull to the pump there is a sticker on it that says "contains minimum 51% ethanol".

If you want to run E, i highly suggest getting a tester. they are cheap and easy to use.

Hopefully you get a good tuner. My car can handle down to 65% ethanol in a mix until it pulls timing. I dont worry about as I always test what Im buying and dont drive that car in the winter.
teesutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #40
Never Summer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349361
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesutt View Post
e85 is not regulated. It can be advertised as e85 and not be. There are speedway gas stations here in town that sell "e85" and when you pull to the pump there is a sticker on it that says "contains minimum 51% ethanol".

If you want to run E, i highly suggest getting a tester. they are cheap and easy to use.

Hopefully you get a good tuner. My car can handle down to 65% ethanol in a mix until it pulls timing. I dont worry about as I always test what Im buying and dont drive that car in the winter.
In ny the minimum posted is E70
Never Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Tripintaz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245218
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2013 STI Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
there are less than 50 e85 stations in the whole state of florida.

that is a FACT....i just went and looked that up

THAT is not a viable option for most

and do you even think that your fuel is in fact...always....e85???

do YOU test it???

do YOU know that it isnt actually e70 in the winter and e85 in the summer??

do YOU really know anything at all about e85 and its vagarities???

yeah

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations/e85-florida/

http://alternative-fuel.findthedata....hanol-(E85)/FL
Sigh. So hypocritical. I've seen you bash anyone that does not agree with your point of view over and over.

There are stations around here that are not listed online. Its rather common but I guess YOU wouldn't know since you don't even live here. Also....winter blend in south Florida? LoL

Even if you were right...which YOU have no proof either and I'm sure you aren't regularly checking the pumps around here .....Any smart owner has a wideband installed, an ethanol tester, and routinely monitors the car with the AP. Again it all boils down to if the OP thinks its worth it or not. You cannot make up the OPs mind for him just because your opinion is that its too much hassle. Then try and preach to me because I don't agree with your point of view. Well I guess you can..but that's just illogical.

People successfully DD e85 around here. Get over it. I'm not going to banter over this anymore. ::unsubscribed::
Tripintaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
lmitchell255
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336806
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza STI
Pearl White

Default

im moving to tampa!
lmitchell255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripintaz View Post
Sigh. So hypocritical. I've seen you bash anyone that does not agree with your point of view over and over.

There are stations around here that are not listed online. Its rather common but I guess YOU wouldn't know since you don't even live here. Also....winter blend in south Florida? LoL

Even if you were right...which YOU have no proof either and I'm sure you aren't regularly checking the pumps around here .....Any smart owner has a wideband installed, an ethanol tester, and routinely monitors the car with the AP. Again it all boils down to if the OP thinks its worth it or not. You cannot make up the OPs mind for him just because your opinion is that its too much hassle. Then try and preach to me because I don't agree with your point of view. Well I guess you can..but that's just illogical.

People successfully DD e85 around here. Get over it. I'm not going to banter over this anymore. ::unsubscribed::
there is ONE little pocket of e85 ONLY in YOUR area

the rest of the state is an e85 black hole

I lived in florida almost 25 years and did all my research on going e85 and IT ISNT A VIABLE OPTION for anybody that does not live in YOUR area

LOOK at that map......LOOK at it...it is very representative of e85 availability

there was even one station in Jacksonville that sold it for a while and stopped
selling it due to low sales....there are idiots who are driving 100 miles to find it and use gas cans and store it in their garages......that is a joke for a dd car


im not saying anything that isn't 100% true and FACT.....live in one or 2 counties around mymammy and you got e85...anywhere else is

florida is a very bad place to look for e85
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
etb0351
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339357
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 STI
White

Default

I have 93, E85, and MS109 maps. For me its a pain in the ass to drive to the gas station that has e85 however, I do prefer to run it. Its cheaper than 93 and you get more power. The only thing i will complain about is cold starts. But if you are going to be in FL then you should be good. I just found it embarrassing trying to start my brand new car for 10 minutes in some girls driveway that i met at a bar the night before haha. If it was in my garage all night there was no issue, it fired right up.
etb0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #45
etb0351
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339357
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 STI
White

Default

Oh and that only happened on super cold nights this winter
etb0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
Tripintaz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245218
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2013 STI Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etb0351 View Post
Oh and that only happened on super cold nights this winter
If you have your tuner adjust your cold cranking fuel tables it should do away with that problem. If you tune yourself you can start out by adding about 15-20% more fuel at cold start. There are a couple of tables to adjust but I'm not near my ATR to reference at the moment.
Tripintaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #47
scoobasaurusrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255114
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 wrb wrx wagon
93oct vf43 ewg

Default

People run block heaters to keep the viscosity more consistent during colder months, but that's completely separate from the ethanol %.
scoobasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.