Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #701
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
But, as a buyer, especially when/if I buy new, I'd really hate the company for selling me a special edition one year and the next year releasing another special edition that is the same price but better than mine. Not that I'd ever buy a special edition unless it was really an amazing deal, but for people who buy them I'd think they expect those to hold the strongest resale, but if they pick the wrong one they could be screwed on that front.
Well, the latest and greatest is always going to be the best. It doesn't matter if we're talking about TVs, computers, cars, etc. If you're that worried about it, you probably shouldn't buy anything new.

How did the '08 WRX owners feel when Subaru greatly enhanced the '09?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FaastLegacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #702
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Roush has just started testing their mustang. I'm sure TMZ crew will be on the look out for it here locally.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #703
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
How did the '08 WRX owners feel when Subaru greatly enhanced the '09?
Exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid. I would have been extremely angry with subaru or whoever sold me the car, because I assume all employees/dealerships are competent and know that kind of info and I would hope they would tell me.

Now say I bought btwn 09-12? I'd be fine. 2 years is enough for me to personally say I got good enjoyment out of the car before new tech came out. It's right on that edge where they just make a massive jump that I would be angry and I'd want them to be forthcoming ahead of time.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #704
ForceFed4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7370
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bethesda, MD
Vehicle:
2013 5.0
SGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
You buy a car for your own personal enjoyment. Buying the wrong one is not possible if you bought the one you love.

Buying a car you do not love because you think it is the 'right' one is stupid.
This; 1000X this.

Bought my '13 GT 6 months ago, and it is everything I wanted a V8 pony/muscle car to be. I've wanted one of these cars since I was like 9, and there is no regret whatsoever. I'm fully aware of what's coming in '15 (as much as anyone not @ Ford at least), and I hope it's a huge hit and wonderful car, but it won't take anything away from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
I'd obviously love my car, but it scares me ****less that when I buy my first new car I'm going to get screwed by either a newer cooler model coming out within 6 months of me buying mine that I would have liked better or gas running out shortly after my purchase.
Anything you buy is going to have a newer, shinier, version out w/in 12 months of you buying it. The sooner you learn to accept this fact, the better off you'll be. Not buying something just because it's the "newest, shiniest" thing is a key first step. Buy the car you like the best, not the one that you think is "best" because a magazine/the internets says so.
ForceFed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #705
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

But the interwebz says the next one will be better, therefore his will be crap..

BS.

Once you realize that the vast majority of auto journalists are hacks you stop caring what they say. Worrying about driving the 'right' car or the car that was the 'smart' choice means that you think more about what others think of your car than you do.

And that, is sad.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #706
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
How did the '08 WRX owners feel when Subaru greatly enhanced the '09?
They increased the base price so far beyond what I payed for my '08 that I didn't care. My '08 had springs, swaybars, wheels & tires, shift bushings, accessport and exhaust for less than the cost of an '09. My butt wasn't hurt at all. Some folks, who bought theirs just before the '09 hit the roads were hurt, but I saw far more people here at NASIOC who were jeering at '08 owners (like you) than I saw '08 owners who were butthurt.. and I was on 3GWRX.com every day back then.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #707
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

I think you guys think I care about the wrong things, and that's not true. I'm not talking minor refreshes. I'm talking about a massive improvement. The 09 wrx is still the exact same car in my eyes as the outgoing model, despite probably some minor adjustments and that's 4 years later. That is a darn good purchase IMO. The 08, not so much. I'll never "need" to buy a car, so I'll always be considering what is going to come next and how soon. Once I pick the car, I'll do my own assessment on any info of future plans (what I'd ideally like to see is one of those marketing/manufacturing plans like what got posted from subaru) but I feel like ford is a very hard one to pinpoint those ideal times where there will be big tech upgrades and then a lot of nothing, which every car has.

Last edited by WRXHillClimb; 06-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #708
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
They increased the base price so far beyond what I payed for my '08 that I didn't care. My '08 had springs, swaybars, wheels & tires, shift bushings, accessport and exhaust for less than the cost of an '09. My butt wasn't hurt at all. Some folks, who bought theirs just before the '09 hit the roads were hurt, but I saw far more people here at NASIOC who were jeering at '08 owners (like you) than I saw '08 owners who were butthurt.. and I was on 3GWRX.com every day back then.
2008 WRX $24,850
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/revie...&ReviewID=4334

2009 $24,995
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...108960#VIP_TAB

Royally. Screwed.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #709
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

Again.. I said "the price I payed". The '08 was heavily discounted thanks to everyone bitching about it. The '09 was not.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #710
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
Again.. I said "the price I payed". The '08 was heavily discounted thanks to everyone bitching about it. The '09 was not.
You bought your 08 in 09 or are you just confident you wouldn't have been able to talk them down as much? If you talked them down $X in 2008 I would expect you could talk them down the same in 2009. Or were people bitching about the 08 even when it was the only wrx available?
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #711
DeeezNuuuts83
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34406
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX
graphite gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
But the interwebz says the next one will be better, therefore his will be crap..

BS.
No one is saying that the car suddenly becomes useless, or even referencing the future "standard" model leapfrogging the previous one. While people have brought up a number of examples -- 4.6L-powered Mustang GT vs. 5.0L-powered Mustang GT, 2008 WRX vs. 2009 WRX, etc. -- those are updates, and they will happen and are expected to happen, even if people are disappointed and wishing they had waited since the "regular" model got a lot better. But as you pointed out, you're correct -- the car that they bought drives just the same as before, when they were happy with it. Again, that's not exactly what we're talking about.

I was randomly reminded of the Terminator 2 DVD releases. There was the original one, which was basically just the movie. When the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD was announced, I was pretty stoked, since it was always a movie I really enjoyed when it came out, plus at that time, I was always geeked on DVD releases, especially when they had a lot of bonus features. I bought it, and was stoked. Then a year later, they released the Extreme Edition, which was annoying. I didn't get it though, but I think that the video quality was again enhanced further, or something like that.

It didn't make me unhappy with having purchased the Ultimate Edition -- it had what I wanted, and it's not as if the video quality suddenly looked terrible just because the Extreme Edition had improvements. But it was just silly for all of the labeling to be what it was (going back to the point I had about one year having a special edition, then the next year getting an even-more-special edition) for the sake of selling more of the same thing, especially when the labeling of the Ultimate Edition pretty much made it sound like they jam-packed it with everything possible. BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #712
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
They increased the base price so far beyond what I payed for my '08 that I didn't care. My '08 had springs, swaybars, wheels & tires, shift bushings, accessport and exhaust for less than the cost of an '09. My butt wasn't hurt at all. Some folks, who bought theirs just before the '09 hit the roads were hurt, but I saw far more people here at NASIOC who were jeering at '08 owners (like you) than I saw '08 owners who were butthurt.. and I was on 3GWRX.com every day back then.
That's rather disingenious though. Who's to say you couldn't have gotten a similar deal on an '09? They stickered at nearly the same price, so I have to assume you're taking your dealer negotiations into account there which isn't exactly apples to oranges.

And you're right, I'll still jeer at '08 WRX owners. It was one bastard step child of a car and it still is today. You defended that car to the death and you had it what, all of 10 months? Awesome car, indeed.

Quote:
You bought your 08 in 09 or are you just confident you wouldn't have been able to talk them down as much? If you talked them down $X in 2008 I would expect you could talk them down the same in 2009. Or were people bitching about the 08 even when it was the only wrx available?
Exactly my point.
FaastLegacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #713
Len
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39937
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 328i 6MT
LMB

Default

I've seen BMW owners pissing over a software update on iDrive claiming it makes their one year old cars obsolete and destroy their resale value. NASIOC N&R is such a reasonable place.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #714
Skunkers
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115480
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Vehicle:
2002 RSX-S
Desert Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
No one is saying that the car suddenly becomes useless, or even referencing the future "standard" model leapfrogging the previous one. While people have brought up a number of examples -- 4.6L-powered Mustang GT vs. 5.0L-powered Mustang GT, 2008 WRX vs. 2009 WRX, etc. -- those are updates, and they will happen and are expected to happen, even if people are disappointed and wishing they had waited since the "regular" model got a lot better. But as you pointed out, you're correct -- the car that they bought drives just the same as before, when they were happy with it. Again, that's not exactly what we're talking about.

I was randomly reminded of the Terminator 2 DVD releases. There was the original one, which was basically just the movie. When the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD was announced, I was pretty stoked, since it was always a movie I really enjoyed when it came out, plus at that time, I was always geeked on DVD releases, especially when they had a lot of bonus features. I bought it, and was stoked. Then a year later, they released the Extreme Edition, which was annoying. I didn't get it though, but I think that the video quality was again enhanced further, or something like that.

It didn't make me unhappy with having purchased the Ultimate Edition -- it had what I wanted, and it's not as if the video quality suddenly looked terrible just because the Extreme Edition had improvements. But it was just silly for all of the labeling to be what it was (going back to the point I had about one year having a special edition, then the next year getting an even-more-special edition) for the sake of selling more of the same thing, especially when the labeling of the Ultimate Edition pretty much made it sound like they jam-packed it with everything possible. BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!
Good analogy. In all seriousness, the Extreme Edition was totally worth it. Commentary with Cameron, way better transfer of the film, and it even included an 1080p HD copy of the film, long before Bluray or HDDVD were prominent mediums.
Skunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #715
justincredible
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83633
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: The Mountains
Vehicle:
2012 bright green
box

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
I've seen BMW owners pissing over a software update on iDrive claiming it makes their one year old cars obsolete and destroy their resale value. NASIOC N&R is such a reasonable place.
The Jeep Wrangler is just the opposite.

In 2007 the JK comes out with better approach, breakover, and departure angles, more creature comforts, better mileage, and the ability to fit larger tires, yet somehow because the grill is plastic it's not a real Jeep and the company has lost their way.
justincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #716
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default



I'll just drop that here
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #717
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default



TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #718
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Double post
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #719
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post


I'll just drop that here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post


and it will sell like free crack in da hood.....and a whole new generation of rednecks will be conceived....in them
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #720
sotti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 33474
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
04 M3
Imola Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
and it will sell like free crack in da hood.....and a whole new generation of rednecks will be conceived....in them
If it set laps time like an M3, why the hate?
sotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #721
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Few different trim levels all the way up to 650hp
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #722
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
If it set laps time like an M3, why the hate?

rednecks don't drive m3's

well......very few
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #723
blubaru703
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71380
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post


That's not entirely horrible looking.
blubaru703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #724
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

It is not, but why pollute the mustang name!

Make this car but call it a Falcon...the mustang should never be a 4 door!
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #725
hkerekes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66310
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Removing passenger seat
Vehicle:
2012 Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
It is not, but why pollute the mustang name!

Make this car but call it a Falcon...the mustang should never be a 4 door!
Who cares what its called. Mustang reliability, power, and fun in a 4 door. Yes please.
hkerekes is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refreshed Mustang coming in 2013, next generation to be 2015 model AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 20 08-07-2011 02:42 PM
Rumormill: 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 25 06-05-2011 09:26 PM
New Braille Battery 2015 - $120 shipped psmBoXer Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 7 01-27-2006 03:02 PM
Wal-Mart Seeks to Double Truck Fuel Economy by 2015 FunkerVogt Political Playground 25 12-19-2005 04:44 PM
What will our Subie look like in 2015? wallew Off-Topic 44 07-10-2005 04:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.