Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default who else's impreza interior is rattling?

I think I read about an interior rattle in a review, Edmunds or something, anyway I noticed one in my wife's impreza yesterday. it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side dash but I don't really know. her '08 OBS we traded for it never had a problem in 104k miles. Subaru made some drastic cuts to keep the price the same...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
fistv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350063
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Effort Pa
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza sport
White

Default

Around 8000 miles on mine, bad PA roads, have not noticed anything and if I just jinxed myself I will come back and haunt you
fistv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

That rattle is probably the A-pillar on the passenger side. Its the white plastic part , its a little loose and does rattle.

Theres plenty of rattle threads for these cars, just one of the corners cut in order to keep costs down. I think its pretty much gonna happen in any impreza at one point or another. But its somewhat fixable ( double sided tape, felt, toothpicks, etc. )
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

you're probably right. she didn't say anything, but it would bug the **** out of me.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
apollo_f1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230535
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Prem. MT
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I just called my local dealership (Carter in Shoreline, WA) and they are going to take a look at my car next Tuesday. I'll post again with the results when I get some.
apollo_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
BajaGuy68
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 127720
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Western, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

An annoying rattle/ vibration in the door next to the window when I have the radio above 25 with just a little bass.
BajaGuy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
cookcle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306704
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
I think I read about an interior rattle in a review, Edmunds or something, anyway I noticed one in my wife's impreza yesterday. it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side dash but I don't really know. her '08 OBS we traded for it never had a problem in 104k miles. Subaru made some drastic cuts to keep the price the same...
I have a rattle that sounds like its coming from the exact same location. It only starts up if I am going over 50, so thats a plus. Going to have Subaru look at it when its in for service next, its definitely something behind the passenger dash that is probably not easily accessible.
cookcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
apollo_f1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230535
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Prem. MT
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookcle View Post
I have a rattle that sounds like its coming from the exact same location. It only starts up if I am going over 50, so thats a plus. Going to have Subaru look at it when its in for service next, its definitely something behind the passenger dash that is probably not easily accessible.
Mine was starting at 55, now it's down to 40 sometimes.
apollo_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Regardless of what car I've owned, I've found rattles that come and go depending on outdoor air temperature. Some rattles only occur if the temp is below 20 degrees. Other rattles that occur only when the temp is between 40 and 50 degrees. As different parts expand and contract, they pass through stages that cause them to rattle or not.

I don't think I've ever owned a car that NEVER rattled regardless of temperature. I don't let these rattles bother me very much. The only time I get annoyed is when I have a rattle that occurs at ALL temperatures. Those are the rattles that I try to track down and fix.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
PA452
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346220
Join Date: Feb 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Premium
MT Dark Gray Metallic

Default

I get a rattle occasionally at certain speeds and RPMs, but it's not consistent. I haven't heard it in a week or so. PA roads are horrible, especially around the city, but I was hoping it wouldn't start this soon.
PA452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
sager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309315
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: North of Seattle
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I have fixed many of my most annoying rattles. The A-pillar covers do rattle near the pointy tip. Take off the speaker grill and stuff some felt or weather stripping and that will help. I also found that putting some cardstock (two layers) between the forward side of the headliner and the fwd map light (near the windshield) helped me. Lastly, if you take off the speaker grill and notice a silver bolt down in the cavity...one of mine was loose. I removed the bolt and added a big washer and tightened it back down and that did help with a deep dash rattle.

Good luck!
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
rickrobin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306993
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Catskills, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd.
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager View Post
I have fixed many of my most annoying rattles. The A-pillar covers do rattle near the pointy tip. Take off the speaker grill and stuff some felt or weather stripping and that will help. I also found that putting some cardstock (two layers) between the forward side of the headliner and the fwd map light (near the windshield) helped me. Lastly, if you take off the speaker grill and notice a silver bolt down in the cavity...one of mine was loose. I removed the bolt and added a big washer and tightened it back down and that did help with a deep dash rattle.

Good luck!
How do you get the speaker grills off?
rickrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

^I think he's talking about the tweeter speaker grills in the dash by the windshield. They just pop up and out
Angelus911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

yeah I replaced the tweeters in both my outback and her impreza.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
apollo_f1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230535
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Prem. MT
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I just got off the phone with Carter Subaru. They have apparently figured out the source of my under dash rattle. It's coming from the front right Rally Armor mud flap. They took the fronts off and immediately the noise stopped.

I guess it is possible that one or more of the fasteners worked it's way loose and allowed for some sort of vibration to get transmitted to the interior of the car. However the noise didn't start until about 500 miles after I installed them.

I guess I'll see what happens when I pick the car up later today, they are supposed to be putting them back on for me.
apollo_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
8crizzle8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350064
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGuy68 View Post
An annoying rattle/ vibration in the door next to the window when I have the radio above 25 with just a little bass.
I think I had that same vibration and lightly pried the door panel away from the door slightly and stuck some felt tape in between and that seems to have remedied it. Now there's all the other vibrations/rattles...
8crizzle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
8crizzle8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350064
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo_f1 View Post
I just got off the phone with Carter Subaru. They have apparently figured out the source of my under dash rattle. It's coming from the front right Rally Armor mud flap. They took the fronts off and immediately the noise stopped.

I guess it is possible that one or more of the fasteners worked it's way loose and allowed for some sort of vibration to get transmitted to the interior of the car. However the noise didn't start until about 500 miles after I installed them.

I guess I'll see what happens when I pick the car up later today, they are supposed to be putting them back on for me.
My Rally Armor flaps were making a lot of rattle and I thought it was from the dash for a little while until I read somewhere on the forum to put some 5/32" vacuum caps over the ends of the inside screw/bolt and that stopped it for me.
8crizzle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8crizzle8 View Post

My Rally Armor flaps were making a lot of rattle and I thought it was from the dash for a little while until I read somewhere on the forum to put some 5/32" vacuum caps over the ends of the inside screw/bolt and that stopped it for me.
I have the same problem with my RA mudflaps, the front right. I thought it was the strake kit that was vibrating and causing the noise, but it def seems to be that mudflap.
Angelus911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #19
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

I have rally armor flaps on, ill try some vacuum caps, thanks.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
BajaGuy68
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 127720
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Western, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8crizzle8 View Post
I think I had that same vibration and lightly pried the door panel away from the door slightly and stuck some felt tape in between and that seems to have remedied it. Now there's all the other vibrations/rattles...
I'll try that this weekend along with the "A pillar" rattle down by the tweeters.
BajaGuy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
apollo_f1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230535
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Prem. MT
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8crizzle8 View Post
My Rally Armor flaps were making a lot of rattle and I thought it was from the dash for a little while until I read somewhere on the forum to put some 5/32" vacuum caps over the ends of the inside screw/bolt and that stopped it for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that too. Right after I google "vacuum cap"...
apollo_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8crizzle8 View Post
My Rally Armor flaps were making a lot of rattle and I thought it was from the dash for a little while until I read somewhere on the forum to put some 5/32" vacuum caps over the ends of the inside screw/bolt and that stopped it for me.
So does the vacuum cap go over the inside-most screw, the one that is attached to that metal support arm?
Angelus911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

picked some up at autozone, didn't have 5/32" so I hope 1/8" will fit. can I take the bolt out of that latch for the front door to make it swing far enough so I can get my hand in there? I had to do that to run the speaker wires on my outback.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
8crizzle8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350064
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
picked some up at autozone, didn't have 5/32" so I hope 1/8" will fit. can I take the bolt out of that latch for the front door to make it swing far enough so I can get my hand in there? I had to do that to run the speaker wires on my outback.
I'm not sure where you're talking about getting to but I am talking about a screw on the inner most and bottom side of the front mud flaps. All you need to do is turn the wheels one direction and slide the cap over it and twist it a little. Mines presses snugly against my wheel well so there's no more vibration.
8crizzle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #25
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

I thought those vacuum things go over the pointy end of the screw, I was guessing you open the front doors and stick your hand in the tiny gap between the door opening and the fender? how do these go on?
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.