Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 359400
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default Tactrix driver will not load on XP laptop

Hi all,

I am unable to complete the installation of the Tactrix Open ECU 2.0 driver on my garage laptop, which is an older one running XP. It loaded fine on my main computer running Win 7.

I did the installs the same, so not sure what's going on. I sent Tactrix tech help an email and they have not replied back.

this is a print screen of what I see during attempted install:

Any suggestions?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Isleblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
quazimoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 70395
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Don't let windows instal it automatically. Manually install the driver.
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

The xp laptop does not recognize the device (Tactrix cable), so I can't click on "device" to manually install the drivers. When I plug in the cable, there are two audible 'dings' where usually a new device dings once and is recognized.
I don't know of any other way to manually install the drivers.

My other laptop running windows 7 works fine and I can connect to my ECU - I was just hoping to keep it on my old garage laptop rather than drag the good one out there for tuning purposes.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
quazimoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 70395
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Make sure you have the latest Java and Windows updates.
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

The background makes it look like you were still in the process of installing ECUFlash at the time? ECUFlash includes the Tactrix drivers, it must be installed first before you plug in the cable.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
The background makes it look like you were still in the process of installing ECUFlash at the time? ECUFlash includes the Tactrix drivers, it must be installed first before you plug in the cable.
Yes I was installing ECU Flash, and at one point during that install, the Tactrix drivers window comes up. It then asks you to make sure your Tactrix 2.0 cable is plugged into the computer and then press 'Next'. At this point it tries to download the drivers for about a minute, and then the 'cannot complete device driver install' window comes up. There is something wrong with the laptop which I need to figure out. I'm going to search for and install all other outdated drivers, and see where that gets me. I updated Java and all Windows updates a few days ago, as that was my first thought.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Captdonno
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358459
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WR Blue Pearl Sedan

Did you try downloading the driver straight from Tactrix's site?
http://http://www.tactrix.com/index....d=38&Itemid=61
Windows XP doesn't automatically search and install updates like Vista/7 does. You usually have to manually install the drivers from either an installation CD or straight from the site.
Captdonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
mikeyPSF
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 236475
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Sorry we didn't see the email you sent to Tactrix support. What email address did you send it to? Or what was the date and your first name?

You definitely aren't ever prompted to connect the OpenPort during EcuFlash install. It shouldn't cause a problem if you do, but I generally do not have it connected. You are prompted to install both the 1.3 and 2.0 drivers but feel free to skip the 1.3 drivers if you don't have that device.

You also don't need Java for EcuFlash. You will for RomRaider, but EcuFlash doesn't use Java at all.

Are you logged in as a user with admin rights?
mikeyPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyPSF View Post
Sorry we didn't see the email you sent to Tactrix support. What email address did you send it to? Or what was the date and your first name?

You definitely aren't ever prompted to connect the OpenPort during EcuFlash install. It shouldn't cause a problem if you do, but I generally do not have it connected. You are prompted to install both the 1.3 and 2.0 drivers but feel free to skip the 1.3 drivers if you don't have that device.

You also don't need Java for EcuFlash. You will for RomRaider, but EcuFlash doesn't use Java at all.

Are you logged in as a user with admin rights?
Thanks for replying here. I sent it to support@tactrix.com on 6/20/13 in the morning, and first name is Craig. I don't believe I was ever prompted to install drivers; I think it just began installing them automatically, after which the installation failed and the window in the print screen image appeared.

I am logged in as an admin. I was able to download the software on my other laptop running Windows 7 with no issues, and flash my ECU with the Tactrix cable. However my old XP laptop is loaded with all of my .PDF manuals and automotive-related software, and it doesn't matter if it gets a little grease on it.

I have not tried it again since making this post, so I'll give it another try, and make sure I am logged in as an admin (I should be as I'm the only user of the computer, and my name is the computer name).

Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
mikeyPSF
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 236475
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Sorry Craig, I don't see a ticket on that date from you. That's annoying.

If it fails again on this attempt, could you grab the setupact.log file, zip it (if it's too large to email), and email that to support at tactrix? That file will show very detailed information about the install so we can see what went wrong. That file should be located in your C:\Windows directory.
mikeyPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Last night I attempted this again. I first uninstalled ECUFlash, and then reinstalled it. This time it looked like it worked. Something came up that said all drivers had been installed successfully. I thought I was in the clear until I plugged in my Tactrix cable and a Microsoft window came up asking if I would like to install the drivers for the device using a CD rom, search for them myself or use the Web to find them. I tried to direct the device to the ECUFlash folder where the drivers are, but another error window came up saying something about drivers not being available.

So I emailed my setupact.log file to you (actually there were 2 of them, so I included both)

Anything you can do to help me get this garage PC up and running would be much appreciated!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Isleblue65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Last night I attempted this again. I first uninstalled ECUFlash, and then reinstalled it. This time it looked like it worked. Something came up that said all drivers had been installed successfully. I thought I was in the clear until I plugged in my Tactrix cable and a Microsoft window came up asking if I would like to install the drivers for the device using a CD rom, search for them myself or use the Web to find them. I tried to direct the device to the ECUFlash folder where the drivers are, but another error window came up saying something about drivers not being available.

So I emailed my setupact.log file to you (actually there were 2 of them, so I included both)

Anything you can do to help me get this garage PC up and running would be much appreciated!