Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 228856
Chapter/Region: South East
Default Motion Lab Tuned 2011WRXHatch Loads of torque with Perrin, Invidia, and MLT!!

Shop: Motion Lab Tuning
Dyno Type: DynoCom FX5000-AWD
Temp: 85F
Boost: 20psi ---> 15psi
Fuel: 93OCT
Target AFR: 11.5:1
SAE Corrections: Default Corrections
Peak HP at RPM: 313whp @ 5850 RPMs
Peak Torque at RPM: 372wtq @ 3600 RPMs
Transmission: Stock 5speed
Gear: 4th
Engine Management: Cobb Accessport Speed Density software
Engine/Power Modifications:

• Invidia Q300
  • Invidia Catted downpipe
  • Perrin TMIC
  • EBCS
  • AEM CAI
The car came to us with the turbo back exhaust, Intercooler and intake running a cobb map stage 2 map. We installed a 3 port EBCS and the Moroso Dual catch cans. Then we got this silver hatch on the dyno for a new speed density tune. Overall the car feels great with some hard hitting torque out of this stock turbo set up. The Black TMIC with matching turbo heat shield really complemented the black Moroso catch cans making for one clean yet stock looking engine bay.

Follow whats going on at the shop on our Facebook page Motion Lab Tuning - Automotive - Charlotte, NC | Facebook

Thanks for looking!
Andrew J
Andrewj@motionlabtuning.com
www.instagram.com/Motionlabtuning
MotionLabTuning.com - Engineering Performance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Motion Lab Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
subaru222
Scooby Guru

Member#: 92967
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2009 wrx hatch
dark grey metallic

Awesome numbers
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 279660
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru222 View Post
Awesome numbers
they're good, but they're inflated. if you go look through the MLT dynos they are all extremely high also they run in 4th. it's hard to guess what the real world numbers would be, but my guess is they are about 15-18% high.
besthaticouldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
BroBroBroBroBro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338211
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 wrx ewg
equal headers+frontmount

best curve ive ever seen for this car...not even E85
it holds out good till 6k thats all you ever need.
BroBroBroBroBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
they're good, but they're inflated. if you go look through the MLT dynos they are all extremely high also they run in 4th. it's hard to guess what the real world numbers would be, but my guess is they are about 15-18% high.
I don't think 313whp is too inflated. We have also made ~350-370wtq on the old DynoDynamics we used to use on stock turbo cars with similar mods. I will share a few graphs for reference.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2123501
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2124194
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1881191

There are more that you can browse through as well if youd like.

Thanks,
Alex Goodwin
AlexG@motionlabtuning.com
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru222 View Post
Awesome numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroBroBroBroBro View Post
best curve ive ever seen for this car...not even E85
it holds out good till 6k thats all you ever need.
Thanks guys! Feels surprisingly linear on the street too. Boost comes on nicely and the power is there for your normal shift point. Like you said no real reason to push these cars past 6500 with stock turbos.

Thanks,
Alex Goodwin
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Scooby921
Thanks Sir Alex!

Member#: 88606
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Quote:
Stop before you look stupid. How far up your ass did you have to reach to pull out those percentages? Those numbers are only ~10% higher than what some friends put down locally on stg2 STi tunes on one of the lowest reading Mustang dynos I've ever used. Yet this means absolutely nothing as it's a different brand of dyno, sitting in a different state, at a different altitude, on a different day with different weather. It matters not whether the numbers are high. It matters that compared to stock or compared to baseline they managed to squeeze more power out of it. The ONLY thing that matters is that the owner of the car is happy with the result.

Cliff's Notes: Who cares?
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
Stop before you look stupid. How far up your ass did you have to reach to pull out those percentages? Those numbers are only ~10% higher than what some friends put down locally on stg2 STi tunes on one of the lowest reading Mustang dynos I've ever used. Yet this means absolutely nothing as it's a different brand of dyno, sitting in a different state, at a different altitude, on a different day with different weather. It matters not whether the numbers are high. It matters that compared to stock or compared to baseline they managed to squeeze more power out of it. The ONLY thing that matters is that the owner of the car is happy with the result.

Thank you for your input and, thanks for checking out our work

Thanks,
Alex Goodwin
Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
this is true...also this is not a locally tuned STG2 STi. this is a stg2 WRX. numbers usually range from 280whp-300whp and torque is between 290-320.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2515949 (280/291 - 31whp less and 80wtq less)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2492468
(93 numbers 289/315 - 22whp less and 57wtq less)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2507844
(280/297 - 31whp less and 74wtq less)

now i'm not a mathematician like you apparently are, but thats 21.5%, 15.3%, & 19.8% respectively for the torque numbers and yes they are about 10% high for HP numbers. but that's not with mustangs, those are dynojets. those are also about 17% higher on the torque than the numbers seen on a stg2 on a mustang dyno on a 95* day with a VF52 and 91. and those are just 3, i could find more. granted there are a million different variables for the numbers they are getting. gear, air temp, etc. and they're good numbers and as long as he's happy that's all that matters.

it's not an attack, i'm just curious what the baseline is for MLT on a stock 09+ WRX with zero mods. that'd give you an idea of what the more realistic conversion to another dyno would be.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Scooby921
Thanks Sir Alex!

Member#: 88606
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Quote:
this is true...also this is not a locally tuned STG2 STi. this is a stg2 WRX. numbers usually range from 280whp-300whp and torque is between 290-320.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2515949 (280/291 - 31whp less and 80wtq less)

now i'm not a mathematician like you apparently are, but thats 21.5%, 15.3%, & 19.8% respectively for the torque numbers and yes they are about 10% high for HP numbers. but that's not with mustangs, those are dynojets. those are also about 17% higher on the torque than the numbers seen on a stg2 on a mustang dyno on a 95* day with a VF52 and 91. and those are just 3, i could find more. granted there are a million different variables for the numbers they are getting. gear, air temp, etc. and they're good numbers and as long as he's happy that's all that matters.

it's not an attack, i'm just curious what the baseline is for MLT on a stock 09+ WRX with zero mods. that'd give you an idea of what the more realistic conversion to another dyno would be.
I think everyone would like to see this. Especially since it is one of the items we generally require in the so-called "required format" for posting results in PPB. But we can't force MLT to go buy a car or hunt for a car just to appease the masses. If and when someone stops in with a bone stock, baseline car to put on their dyno I'm sure we'll get to see some useful numbers that put everything into perspective.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:

I posted up numbers from a different dyno that we used for the better part of 2years... is that irrelevant to you? Each one I posted made high torque on a DynoDynamics dyno. Are DynoDynamics not a valid dyno brand anymore?

This is just further proof that every dyno reads especially depending on conditions.

Thanks,
Alex Goodwin
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter

They are a valid dyno brand, however like with all dynos the numbers can be skewed and seem higher than they are.

I more want to see a bone stock car on your dyno currently.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
white240hatch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95556
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
silver

what is the reason or benefit to the 4th gear pulls?
white240hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Motion Lab Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by white240hatch View Post
what is the reason or benefit to the 4th gear pulls?
Great question. It is normal practice to dyno vehicles in whichever gear is closest to a 1:1 ratio. For the average 5 speed transmission, 4th gear is closest to 1:1. With the average 6 speed transmission, 5th gear is selected.

The reason this has become regular practice is due to the method in which Dynojet dynometers calculate horsepower and torque. Dynojets calculate hp by reading mass (weight of rollers) and acceleration (rate of increasing velocity of said weight). So in order to not acquire skewed numbers you have to alleviate any acceleration advantage/disadvantage offered by the transmission's gearing. This is why in this case, as close to 1:1 as possible is ideal.

However when operating a roller based dyno the load cell calculates hp via roller speed and torque applied to the roller, and from there torque is figured by using vehicle rpm as a reference. So technically what gear you run the vehicle in does not matter on loaded style dynos.

However as far as engine load is concerned, you should keep load as high as possible to get a broad enough reading with the engine in-taking and expelling air at it's max efficiency without over working the engine and transmission unnecessarily. That way tuning will be more accurate and you will not run into a boosting issue in the higher gears that you were not prepared for possibly causing engine damage. You don't need to be in the highest gear to do this of course, but you will not reach maximum efficiency in the lower gears so the 1:1 gear works all around.

If I am incorrect in my understanding I don't mind being corrected of course. From the things I've researched and seen this is how I've come to understand the functionality of the two systems.

Thanks,
Steven Watson
StevenW@motionlabtuning.com
Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Badler
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133597
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion Lab Tuning View Post
Great question. It is normal practice to dyno vehicles in whichever gear is closest to a 1:1 ratio. For the average 5 speed transmission, 4th gear is closest to 1:1. With the average 6 speed transmission, 5th gear is selected.

The reason this has become regular practice is due to the method in which Dynojet dynometers calculate horsepower and torque. Dynojets calculate hp by reading mass (weight of rollers) and acceleration (rate of increasing velocity of said weight). So in order to not acquire skewed numbers you have to alleviate any acceleration advantage/disadvantage offered by the transmission's gearing. This is why in this case, as close to 1:1 as possible is ideal.

However when operating a roller based dyno the load cell calculates hp via roller speed and torque applied to the roller, and from there torque is figured by using vehicle rpm as a reference. So technically what gear you run the vehicle in does not matter on loaded style dynos.

However as far as engine load is concerned, you should keep load as high as possible to get a broad enough reading with the engine in-taking and expelling air at it's max efficiency without over working the engine and transmission unnecessarily. That way tuning will be more accurate and you will not run into a boosting issue in the higher gears that you were not prepared for possibly causing engine damage. You don't need to be in the highest gear to do this of course, but you will not reach maximum efficiency in the lower gears so the 1:1 gear works all around.

If I am incorrect in my understanding I don't mind being corrected of course. From the things I've researched and seen this is how I've come to understand the functionality of the two systems.

Thanks,
Steven Watson
StevenW@motionlabtuning.com
This thread has a lot of info on the 1:1 "myth."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1478091
Badler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 26933
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badler View Post
This thread has a lot of info on the 1:1 "myth."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1478091
Ooo.... memories .

1:1 means absolutely nothing. If you're really shooting for 1:1, you would take the final drive into account and your wheels would be spinning at 7000RPM at the end of the pull!

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote