Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #651
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
^^^Garrr, what a tease!!! Why no progress pics this time Paulie? You're gonna hold us all in suspense? I'm literally holding my breath for updates.

J
It's not that I don't *want* to post progress pics (I actually don't have any except some rough renderings of the direction I'm going in), but I do think it'll raise more questions than answer them.

I've been in contact with some people I hold in high regard in the Subaru community, some from this board in fact, and it's split 50/50. Some like it, some hate it.

It's to be expected, because I'm doing something totally different than what the Subaru comunity is used to seeing on an '02 Bugeye.

I think because of the attention to detail many people identify my car with something like a factory special edition, as if Prodrive and Subaru came up with this car to commemorate their involvement in rallying. Some of the people who know my vision also think I'm going to get further away from that with this new evolution of the car, but I assure you that's not the case.

I want this car to look like something Subaru and Prodrive could had developed for Tarmac Rallying, like when the teams debut their new "prototype" racing cars (for whatever racing discipline be it rally, GT1/GT3, DTM, etc).

In essence, I'm trying to accomplish the same thing as in creating a vehicle that could have been designed and built by the OEMs, but this time for a racing program and not a special edition street car to be sold in dealerships...does that make sense?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #652
BeBop86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 147776
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bellingham, WA
Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Default

You already posted up pictures of your idea (specifically the type of fenders, e.g. those touring 07 sti GT1 and GT2 Canadian racer and ford fiesta?) I thought...

Post up your rendering!!!
BeBop86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #653
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop86 View Post
You already posted up pictures of your idea (specifically the type of fenders, e.g. those touring 07 sti GT1 and GT2 Canadian racer and ford fiesta?) I thought...

Post up your rendering!!!
It's not finished yet

- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #654
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Well folks, It has officially started...the re-birth of TOP SCOOB 001.

As some of you may know, my vision for this car has changed and I'm taking it in a new direction.

Originally, I wanted this car to emulate the Prodrive S 7/8 customer rally car, as if is was a factory special edition, whilst NOT being a WRC replica. I think I've achieved that target pretty well, but now I want something different.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 2002 WRC Impreza, but I just don't think it translates well to the street on the body kits I've seen thus far. All of them, be it Burn Up, Ht Auto, Launsport, Accolade, etc., have the wheel well arches cut lower than the real deal which hinders that authentic look.

If it were done like the real deal and they were cut higher, it would look silly on a street car because there would be way to much gap. Conversely, if you lowered the car enough to take up that gap it would be way too low to drive on the street.

The goal this time around is a more race orientated, motorsport look - as if Prodrive built a Tarmac Rally Prototype back in the day before they decided on the boxy widebody look of the actual 2002 WRC Impreza.

I'm inspired by the new age WRC cars and Rally cross cars with there crazy arched flared fenders like the Ford Fiesta WRC and the VW Polo WRC concept, as well as the cars that run in the WTCC, DTM, and FIA GT series, in addition to the crazy hill climb cars like the new Pikes Peak Peugeot 208 T16.

It was a serious challenge to capture all I like about those cars and still have something that looks somewhat "clean", devoid of crazy wings, louvers, etc.

In looking at all those different disciplines of motor racing, I came up with a list of elements that separates this "motosport" look from just another body kit.

Those elements have been transformed from my crappy photoshops into reality by some very talented folks, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Some early release teaser pics:


Notice anything different about the Prodrive lip? (It's not finished yet)


Yes, think "flared", not widebody (but it's wider than most widebodies)


Fit and finish should be superb, and no, these are not the wheels I will be using, haha



Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #655
25rsti
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166324
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Haverhill, MA
Vehicle:
3 turbos &n NA
@DBlockSTi

Default

Can't wait to start seeing all these new changes. One of my favorite bugeyes.
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #656
Diablosz400
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 268456
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Morris County, NJ
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

Keep up the amazing work Paul!
Diablosz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #657
rallyfast18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362543
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: pacific northwest
Vehicle:
2013 forte
white

Default

Insanity! Im totally intrigued! This is a example of inspiration being executed in real life.
rallyfast18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #658
1VIPWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107554
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: some where in washingtonville
Vehicle:
03 03/07
yellow

Default

wow... cant wait
1VIPWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #659
JDwhiteWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 190502
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2005 VF36 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
All of them, be it Burn Up, Ht Auto, Launsport, Accolade, etc., have the wheel well arches cut lower than the real deal which hinders that authentic look.

If it were done like the real deal and they were cut higher, it would look silly on a street car because there would be way to much gap. Conversely, if you lowered the car enough to take up that gap it would be way too low to drive on the street.
Interested in your thoughts on this as I'm not sure why you think you couldn't have the higher cut arches on a street car, do you consider the car below to have too much gap because I love this look personally? I do take your point though that if you lowered to have say 30mm gap its going to be too low to be practical.



I have posted this photo before, shows the difference between the genuine and aftermarket kits as discussed above.

JDwhiteWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #660
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

[quote=JDwhiteWRX;40295391]Interested in your thoughts on this as I'm not sure why you think you couldn't have the higher cut arches on a street car, do you consider the car below to have too much gap because I love this look personally? I do take your point though that if you lowered to have say 30mm gap its going to be too low to be practical.



I've been wanting to find a picture of this car for quite some time now. That is probably the only car I've seen with gap that I like. Why? Because it uses the real deal parts, and everything else is up to par. The wheels are the real thing too no?

But its not just about using the real parts...far from it actually. For me, it's about identifying why motorsport cars look like motorsport cars instead of cars with widebody kits and flares, etc.

Like when you see a fantastic 3D animated human that *almost* looks real, but you know it's not. You brain knows what a real human is supposed to look and move like, and you can tell something is *off*.

Is the same for me with the WRC widebody kits. They are close, but there is still something a little off, like the lower arches for example. My brain expects to see a certain style when I see that body shell, and the Blue car looks right because it has all the rest of the major components that give credibility to that look.

For example, if you take the Blue car and put Volk TE37's on it with huge lip and street tires, it just wouldn't look right IMHO, because my brain immediately sees that body shell and expects to see a certain type of wheel.

But like I said, it's not about using real parts, it's about identifying what makes the car have that motorsport look vs just another body kit.

I've actually made a list of what I think lends credibility to this look, and I'm doing my best to incorporate it into my design.

Lets hope I succeed

- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #661
old_duwel
Top Scoob 015
 
Member#: 18175
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Vehicle:
99 STI RA Ltd #450
WRB blue

Default

Is it done yet?
old_duwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #662
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_duwel View Post
Is it done yet?
Rich, the flares are done yes...

But now the real work begins...haha.

I hope to have the car back in my hands by SEMA (Nov) if all goes well.



- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #663
5spdfrk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46407
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Way souf of ATL
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
blew

Default

Can't wait to see the next iteration of your scoob Paulie! I know we won't be disappointed with the attention to detail you give your projects.
5spdfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #664
mkvaron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326317
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
SSM

Default

Spent the better part of a week reading through yours and Frayz build threads, so much good inspiration here for not slammed hella flush nonesense! Can't wait to see the flares with the rest of the car, but I still love the original 02 Impreza WRC build!! Keep it up!
mkvaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #665
Subachouli
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98777
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
SF5, UK300, 94 LGT,
SVX 5MT, 05 STI

Default

This has always been (in my opinion) one of the only threads worth following in the gallery.

Excited and terrified.
Subachouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #666
robbieshonda
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122306
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: On the Dyno NC
Vehicle:
2002 Sti PTE 6262
Interlagos Blue 551/441

Default

Paulie I love your car still to this day. Got agood look at it this past weekend can't wait to see it finished
robbieshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #667
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieshonda View Post
Paulie I love your car still to this day. Got agood look at it this past weekend can't wait to see it finished
Ha! I can't wait to see it finished either! It's been a long time since I've actually seen it period. It was out of state when the fender flares were getting made and then I moved from Texas to Las Vegas.

When the flares were finally finished, I had the car transported to IAG. So yeah, I can't wait either, haha.



- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #668
shamrock 05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120057
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: *outskirts of motor city*
Vehicle:
2004 "Bugeye" WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
It's not that I don't *want* to post progress pics (I actually don't have any except some rough renderings of the direction I'm going in), but I do think it'll raise more questions than answer them.

I've been in contact with some people I hold in high regard in the Subaru community, some from this board in fact, and it's split 50/50. Some like it, some hate it.

It's to be expected, because I'm doing something totally different than what the Subaru comunity is used to seeing on an '02 Bugeye.

I think because of the attention to detail many people identify my car with something like a factory special edition, as if Prodrive and Subaru came up with this car to commemorate their involvement in rallying. Some of the people who know my vision also think I'm going to get further away from that with this new evolution of the car, but I assure you that's not the case.

I want this car to look like something Subaru and Prodrive could had developed for Tarmac Rallying, like when the teams debut their new "prototype" racing cars (for whatever racing discipline be it rally, GT1/GT3, DTM, etc).

In essence, I'm trying to accomplish the same thing as in creating a vehicle that could have been designed and built by the OEMs, but this time for a racing program and not a special edition street car to be sold in dealerships...does that make sense?
I get ya, but here in the US...we would have only seen pics of that model. And with Prodrive once being in the US (Ann Arbor, MI) you would have thought that Prodrive/Subaru could have made a car for the US, but no


Paulie, can you tell me about your spoiler?....its offset like the WRC one but it doesent have the verticle "stiffies".... please advise
shamrock 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #669
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock 05 View Post

Paulie, can you tell me about your spoiler?....its offset like the WRC one but it doesent have the verticle "stiffies".... please advise
Sure. no worries...

The spoiler on my car is an exact replica of the 01-02 Bugeye Impreza WRC. They didn't have the verticle "stiffies" as you put it until later years, haha.

I got mine from Jack at Metroperformance, which no longer exists, but the wing was from a very reputable manufacture in Poland. I can't remember the name as it was many, many years ago.

I think I may have posted it somewhere in this thread tho...

Hope that helps

- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #670
Ver.III
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1185
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: North of the border
Vehicle:
I flap my gums
and now I'm a specialist

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

This is my inspiration:





Wow , old picture





Can't wait to see the final results of your project.
Ver.III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #671
shamrock 05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120057
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: *outskirts of motor city*
Vehicle:
2004 "Bugeye" WRX
WRB

Default

So can you still get the 01-03 wrc wing anywhere state side still?


Thanks Paulie



Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
Sure. no worries...

The spoiler on my car is an exact replica of the 01-02 Bugeye Impreza WRC. They didn't have the verticle "stiffies" as you put it until later years, haha.

I got mine from Jack at Metroperformance, which no longer exists, but the wing was from a very reputable manufacture in Poland. I can't remember the name as it was many, many years ago.

I think I may have posted it somewhere in this thread tho...

Hope that helps

- Paulie
shamrock 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #672
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver.III View Post
Wow , old picture

Can't wait to see the final results of your project.
That was *part* of my inspiration. The end result will be quite different

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock 05 View Post
So can you still get the 01-03 wrc wing anywhere state side still?


Thanks Paulie
I'm not sure...I know they can be had overseas, but here stateside I highly doubt it.

- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #673
wuuusaa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92894
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Running away from Polar bears
Default

What's up Paulie?? I was just reading that article on mayday garage the other day on your car wondering what you been up too. Any new pics of the car?

-Alex
wuuusaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #674
Z3RO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87542
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bruh
Default

Damn, time to subscribe again
Z3RO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #675
Paulie
Top Scoob 001
 
Member#: 16565
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuuusaa View Post
What's up Paulie?? I was just reading that article on mayday garage the other day on your car wondering what you been up too. Any new pics of the car?

-Alex
Not really unfortunately. I can tell you that the fender flares are finally finished, and that they are being installed on the car as we speak - but there is tons of finishing work to do.

The whole car is getting re-painted, the interior is getting a makeover, the suspension is getting some new trick bits, and the new side skirts and rear bumper section still all need to be figured out, as well as the final offset of the wheels, etc.

Still a ways off from completion, but if it comes out like I envision, it'll be well worth the wait...



- Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WRC Tarmac Project Paulie Member's Car Gallery 201 02-12-2006 09:26 PM
WRC Tarmac Project - progress pics... Paulie Member's Car Gallery 155 10-24-2005 02:33 AM
A few new pics of the WRC Tarmac project Paulie Member's Car Gallery 67 05-24-2005 09:00 AM
Something to tie me over until the WRC Tarmac Project is finished... Paulie Member's Car Gallery 41 04-26-2005 06:33 PM
My WRC Tarmac project nearly complete...first ever pics!!! Paulie Member's Car Gallery 81 10-30-2003 04:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.