Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default Aftermarket TPMS monitor with stock sesnors

I have a 2002 wrx and just bought some 2012 wrx wheels with the tpms sensors still in there. Are there any aftermarket monitors that i can use with the oem sensors?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
I have a 2002 wrx and just bought some 2012 wrx wheels with the tpms sensors still in there. Are there any aftermarket monitors that i can use with the oem sensors?
Why you would want to deal with such a pointless overpriced system is beyond me unless you're not capable of using a pressure gauge.

To each their own.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

Tires with stiff sidewalls are hard for me to notice if they're low. I got the tpms sensors for free, im hoping to just get a monitor so i dont waste the sensors. You responding to this post with no constructive info is beyond me.
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

Anybody with some experience?
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Dova
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315989
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area , CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV2889 View Post
Why you would want to deal with such a pointless overpriced system is beyond me unless you're not capable of using a pressure gauge.

To each their own.
Seriously. Wish my car didn't have them.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

What are the negatives of having them? Doesnt seem like there are any to me...
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
What are the negatives of having them? Doesnt seem like there are any to me...
Increased costs, another system to fail.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
siadyang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329715
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Stockish
1992 300ZX TT Swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
Tires with stiff sidewalls are hard for me to notice if they're low. I got the tpms sensors for free, im hoping to just get a monitor so i dont waste the sensors. You responding to this post with no constructive info is beyond me.
Walmart has the digital tire gauge made by Slime for about $9. It's pretty accurate. Just sell the sensors for someone who needs them. Sounds like checking air pressure is hard for you to do. Some gas station have free air. In my opinion, tire monitors are for lazy people and is just a useless feature on new cars. It cost money to replace them, will break if one is not careful taking tires off and mounting tires onto the wheel.
siadyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

Why is everybody so keen on telling me its hard for me to check my tire pressure? Was it very hard for you to learn how to do it?
Selling the sensors is not very lucrative... remove tire, remove sensor, remount tire, rebalance wheel assembly = more than the price of the sensors... plus my afternoon is gone. Im sure you already know this since you know that sensors are easily broken. Any competent tire tech will be able to remove and reinstall a tire without an issue, even run flats and slicks. Ask me how I know.
You guys are staying in the past... would you rather have automatic windows or manual cranks? Why cant I desire to sit in the driver seat and look at a little lcd screen and see my tire pressures rather than going outside and checking each one?
Another system to fail? Nothing breaks if it fails! Why have a turbo car if the turbo can fail? Suck in something turhoigh the compressor side and destroy your turbo and engine. Why have fuel injection if an injector can fail? Nevermind the injector, think about all the 200 other varibles and components there!

If anybody has any real information feel free to post. An Arduino with a cheap RF sensor and LCD screen would be nice too.

If not, I'll be sure not to ask any questions in here besides how big of a wheel I can fit under my fenders.
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
wadowrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 343621
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Dark Metallic Gray

Default

Understood on not wanting to spend the time and monoey removing them....but if you ever do I'll buy them!
As far as these guys say about failing is...corrosion int he sensors and having to replace them, wiring failure(doubtful), or the tire psi monitor ecu failing or whatever controls it. I prrsonally am on your side, even after being a mechanic for 14 years I am admiteddly lazy about tire psi so I'd rathe rhave something warn me they're low before I do a 140+ mph blast. :-)
wadowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
Why is everybody so keen on telling me its hard for me to check my tire pressure? Was it very hard for you to learn how to do it?
Selling the sensors is not very lucrative... remove tire, remove sensor, remount tire, rebalance wheel assembly = more than the price of the sensors... plus my afternoon is gone. Im sure you already know this since you know that sensors are easily broken. Any competent tire tech will be able to remove and reinstall a tire without an issue, even run flats and slicks. Ask me how I know.
You guys are staying in the past... would you rather have automatic windows or manual cranks? Why cant I desire to sit in the driver seat and look at a little lcd screen and see my tire pressures rather than going outside and checking each one?
Another system to fail? Nothing breaks if it fails! Why have a turbo car if the turbo can fail? Suck in something turhoigh the compressor side and destroy your turbo and engine. Why have fuel injection if an injector can fail? Nevermind the injector, think about all the 200 other varibles and components there!

If anybody has any real information feel free to post. An Arduino with a cheap RF sensor and LCD screen would be nice too.

If not, I'll be sure not to ask any questions in here besides how big of a wheel I can fit under my fenders.
You're getting these replies because its a pointless system and is far from accurate.

Want to check your tire pressures? Pull out a gauge. Takes less than 5 minute for all 4 tires.

Want to be lazy? Buy a new car that already has them equipped.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

Hey another pointless response, go figure.

Please delete this thread before more people decide I want their backwards thinking opinions.
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
Hey another pointless response, go figure.

Please delete this thread before more people decide I want their backwards thinking opinions.
if you are dead set on finding an aftermarket TPMS solution, by all means - go for it. You'll be the only one on NASIOC who cares. You asked for opinions, we gave you several valid reasons as to why noone cares about an aftermarket TPMS solution.

Good luck.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
harlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296124
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon

Default

I didnt ask for opinions, i asked if anybody knew of a monitor that can be used with oem sensors.
Why would you think im the only one that wants to know their tire pressure at any given time? Im sure anybody that races their car knows how important tire pressure is. Drag racing, autox, road courses... tires are the most important aspect to racing. Being able to know how your tires are heating during a lap can help you determine what line you want to take to either preserve or get the maximum grip out of the tire.
Its not useless for daily driving either, it can save a tire if the driver doesnt notice he has low pressure. A tire that gets driven with low pressure will develope a heat ring around the sidewall and within a few miles that tire can fail. I dont know what kind of tires you run but one of mine cost more than a whole tpms kit with a pressure readout screen.
Orange electronic makes a kit for $130.
Stack makes a kit that can tell you tire temps as well as pressure.
Might be able to get the orange monitor to work with the oe sensors but the sensors themselves will probably need to be modified which totally defeats the idea of not removing the tires and using the oe sensors.
Im looking for the guy that had a car with oe tpms and threw on an aftermarket or diy monitor that works with his sensors so he doesnt see a dumb little light, but instead sees numbers that mean something.
I seriously doubt im the only one that thought about this. But hey, i also might be on the wrong forum.
harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
xdeathwishx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 259778
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Ithaca, NY
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlen View Post
I seriously doubt im the only one that thought about this. But hey, i also might be on the wrong forum.
You're not the only one thinking about this, because I just arrived at this post looking for the same thing. I live in an area with tons of potholes. I hit one yesterday and must have got a leak. I noticed the steering was a little mushy and then next thing I know I see my tire rolling down the street behind me.



I know a lot of people regard TPMS as just an annoyance. Hell, I felt that way too on my gf's mini because it constantly goes off when the air temperature changes. In a situation like what happened to me yesterday, it could save a life.

Annoyance or not, the non-responses in this thread are a perfect example of what's wrong with car forums. Someone asks a question and people don't know the answer so they just try to discourage the person asking from doing what they wanted to do.

It would be kind of interesting to make something that can get the actual tire pressure readings from the OEM sensors. It's probably not very hard to do if you know how to program and solder. I don't think anything exists for doing this because there's almost no demand.

Last edited by xdeathwishx; 03-31-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added picture
xdeathwishx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #16
Zyzz12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376554
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

TPMS is a good thing to have. Even if you check your air every week if the light goes off repeatedly the a few things could be wrong.

1. The sensor has a dead battery
2. Something could be in the tire making it loose air
3. Steel belts are showing on the inside shoulder which 99% of people don't see or check, even most car people. You will lose air before it blows.

Also old people don't need to be on the ground checking their air, and they do forget things.
Zyzz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #17
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx View Post
You're not the only one thinking about this, because I just arrived at this post looking for the same thing. I live in an area with tons of potholes. I hit one yesterday and must have got a leak. I noticed the steering was a little mushy and then next thing I know I see my tire rolling down the street behind me.



I know a lot of people regard TPMS as just an annoyance. Hell, I felt that way too on my gf's mini because it constantly goes off when the air temperature changes. In a situation like what happened to me yesterday, it could save a life.

Annoyance or not, the non-responses in this thread are a perfect example of what's wrong with car forums. Someone asks a question and people don't know the answer so they just try to discourage the person asking from doing what they wanted to do.

It would be kind of interesting to make something that can get the actual tire pressure readings from the OEM sensors. It's probably not very hard to do if you know how to program and solder. I don't think anything exists for doing this because there's almost no demand.
if you let a slow leak turn into THAT, you probably shouldn't be driving. The massive amount of vibration that must have been coming from that.......

whats wrong with car forums is people like the OP who whine and complain about why there isn't a redundant system designed to prevent them from actually having to think about maintaining their car.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.