Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
E-brake29
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 359107
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza

Default 2007 Impreza Head Gasket Leak

My head gasket started leaking recently. I noticed this because it is dripping down, causing cylinder 2 to misfire intermittently. It has not overheated yet. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with head gasket sealer? I want to get rid of it so I might just take it to a dealer, but I want to fix this issue temporarily before I do.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
E-brake29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

How many miles on the engine? Has the coolant ever been changed?
Subaru requires the use of Subaru coolant conditioner (stop leak) as part of the coolant change procedure.
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
E-brake29
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM10 View Post
How many miles on the engine? Has the coolant ever been changed?
Subaru requires the use of Subaru coolant conditioner (stop leak) as part of the coolant change procedure.
There are only 63,000 miles on the engine, and I had a coolant flush performed at 30,000 miles. I read that the Subaru coolant conditioner is more of a preventive measure. Would something like Blue Devil's head gasket stop leak work? Would re torquing the head bolts stop this leak? I got a quote from a local shop of $850, which included both sides, water pump, and timing belt, which isn't bad at all. The dealer said they would give me at least $7400 for the car if it's in perfect working order.

Last edited by E-brake29; 08-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Bubakanush
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209975
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-brake29 View Post
There are only 63,000 miles on the engine, and I had a coolant flush performed at 30,000 miles. I read that the Subaru coolant conditioner is more of a preventive measure. Would something like Blue Devil's head gasket stop leak work? Would re torquing the head bolts stop this leak? I got a quote from a local shop of $850, which included both sides, water pump, and timing belt, which isn't bad at all. The dealer said they would give me at least $7400 for the car if it's in perfect working order.
$850 for head gasket replacement, water pump AND timing belt?! Please aware us of this shop so we can all go there for ridiculously cheap pricing. Really don't think that quote is accurate tbh..Might wanna head somewhere else.
Bubakanush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
FOGeologist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361500
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubakanush View Post
$850 for head gasket replacement, water pump AND timing belt?! Please aware us of this shop so we can all go there for ridiculously cheap pricing. Really don't think that quote is accurate tbh..Might wanna head somewhere else.
Agreed; this is more of a $1700-$2200 job than an $800 job.

At least, according to the quotes I got.

The most honest mechanic I've run across yet is Kevin at Kevin's Automotive in Aurora. He's competent, cost-conscious, but quality-focused. He seems to understand that quality has no value if he can't get a job because he's over-priced. Every head gasket job he does involves the heads getting decked at his favorite machine shop. He uses the best gaskets he can find. He did a fantastic job on my timing belt and water pump/rollers/tensioner using a Gates setup, which is top-grade stuff. I think I paid $733 for the whole tamale. My HG wasn't leaking with any severity at the time so he said "put it off until you have a problem - which may never happen."
FOGeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

If you can get the head gaskets replaced for $850, I would do that. I wish I could find someone to do mine for that price.
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
E-brake29
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza

I know this guy and he only charges $45/hr, and he said it would take him 1.5-2 days. Tom's automotive in Bangor, Maine. Parts only come out to about $350 and the rest is labor. It helps that he's pretty much a one man operation.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Bubakanush
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209975
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-brake29 View Post
I know this guy and he only charges $45/hr, and he said it would take him 1.5-2 days. Tom's automotive in Bangor, Maine. Parts only come out to about $350 and the rest is labor. It helps that he's pretty much a one man operation.
So jealous it's not even funny ..
Bubakanush is offline   Reply With Quote