Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Garbels90
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 322129
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza SE
Newport Blue

Mine is manual not auto
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Garbels90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330553
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

The only cel I have is the p0420....someone said that my low idle could be from bad ground.....I will try to see if any of the connections need cleaning and maybe even add some more connections and see if that changes anything
Jb2.5rstst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

It also only happens after the car has been warmed up....but if you start it an drive it right away it will idle perfectly
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
Calidinho10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336682
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza
Crimson Pearl

I have an idea. I remember from school a couple of my instructors saying that most often over-looked sensor is the coolant temp sensor. Its very cheap and usually easy to change. I bought a new one from the dealership I work at and put it in in about 30 minutes. It was a little difficult to get to and I had to take a few things off (mostly wires that were in the way). The sensor was only $15 if I remember correctly. It's also important to point out that just because your car's engine temp gauge in the car acts normally does not mean the coolant temp sensor is good. Most cars now-a-days have a separate sensor for the gauge. Also consider taking your car to a subaru dealer and having them scan it with their computers, sometimes things are faulty but do not trigger the check engine light.

That being said, it sound's like your idle is fine. Mine idles at around 500-600 RPM after it is warmed up.
Calidinho10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

The idle drops as low as almost zero....or the line before it....it has it's moments...it's not constant....sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's just low...also when the idle drops the car also shakes ...an as the idle goes back up the shaking stops

I was thinking about taking to subaru ...will they charge anything for scanning it?

And I will look into the temp sensor...but will that affect the low idle ?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #31
Obsidian2007sube
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363190
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx Hatch
Ice Silver

If your subie is an auto,I have a 2.5i auto impreza, I have the procedure I followed written down but in my tool box at work. My dtc (p0506)- rpms low blah blah... stalling but not dying out at complete stops. Its idling perfect now.

PS ... Subaru will charge you DIAGNOSTICS FEES, I own a scanner, alittle pricey but yet saves you from going to the dealer if its something you can handle if you're mechanically inclined or willing to learn.
Obsidian2007sube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian2007sube View Post
If your subie is an auto,I have a 2.5i auto impreza, I have the procedure I followed written down but in my tool box at work. My dtc (p0506)- rpms low blah blah... stalling but not dying out at complete stops. Its idling perfect now. PS ... Subaru will charge you DIAGNOSTICS FEES, I own a scanner, alittle pricey but yet saves you from going to the dealer if its something you can handle if you're mechanically inclined or willing to learn.

If you can send me that write up it will be great....I tried cleaning my grounds today and didn't help....I shouldn't have to add any to improve the grounding....so any suggestions at this moment I'm open too....I even checked for vacuum leaks and nothing....
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
Teamjello
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 364002
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i

check valves, they may be too tight. happened to me after i got my valves adjusted they were too tight and the car would stall once approaching low speeds.
Teamjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #34
Obsidian2007sube
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363190
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx Hatch
Ice Silver

I assume the car running but still not well.
I'll list it in steps.

Dont modify steps in anyway - I was told the samething. I have a friend who works for Audi. I used my iphone as a stopwatch to specified times needed in tests.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable
2. Turn key in ignition to on position (do not crank engine over) for 10 secs.
3. Press and hold brake pedal for 15 secs.
4. Turn key to off positon in ignition and wait for 10 secs.
5. Reconnect your negative battery cable.
6. Make sure all accessories are in off position before starting car. a/c or heat, radio, etc.
Let car run for 10 mins. DO NOT TOUCH GAS OR BRAKE PEDAL.
7. Drive car around for 5 - 10 mins to also help warm engine up to operating temps.
Preferably on the highway roads, you must achieve (WOT) wipe open throttle
several times at rpms 2000- 4000.

This is what I did to my car after disconnecting my power cable from my battery.
I had removed my stereo wiring (amp cable) from the engine bay.
Obsidian2007sube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #35
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamjello View Post
check valves, they may be too tight. happened to me after i got my valves adjusted they were too tight and the car would stall once approaching low speeds.
I never touched the valves...I just my timing belt and headgasket...I was starting to think if my timing is off but I wasn't sure because it's not consistent....I will find out for sure soon because I have to change the timing belt tensioner.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
Jb2.5rstst
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 subaru 2.5 rs
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian2007sube View Post
I assume the car running but still not well. I'll list it in steps. Dont modify steps in anyway - I was told the samething. I have a friend who works for Audi. I used my iphone as a stopwatch to specified times needed in tests. 1. Disconnect negative battery cable 2. Turn key in ignition to on position (do not crank engine over) for 10 secs. 3. Press and hold brake pedal for 15 secs. 4. Turn key to off positon in ignition and wait for 10 secs. 5. Reconnect your negative battery cable. 6. Make sure all accessories are in off position before starting car. a/c or heat, radio, etc. Let car run for 10 mins. DO NOT TOUCH GAS OR BRAKE PEDAL. 7. Drive car around for 5 - 10 mins to also help warm engine up to operating temps. Preferably on the highway roads, you must achieve (WOT) wipe open throttle several times at rpms 2000- 4000. This is what I did to my car after disconnecting my power cable from my battery. I had removed my stereo wiring (amp cable) from the engine bay.
Ok cool. I've actually tried a similar method to this to resetting the ecu but I never actually timed it precisely....I will do this tomorrow prob....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
john82johnson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 364866
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
Gray

I have this same issue on my 08 legacy
john82johnson is offline   Reply With Quote