Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #7576
WRXt4cy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 172698
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle:
11 STi BW 8374 E85
02 v8 Spec C E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlandsRacer View Post

My first post on NASIOC in months, and I get a typical NASIOC answer. Thanks for reminding me why I'm never on this forum, and that there are more douche canoe Subaru owners than I recalled.
The tone might have been a little harsh but Dom gave you very good and very honest feedback. If you do some research, it won't take you long to understand what kind of mods really make a difference and what kind don't. Be thankful your post was met with honesty and not misleading info like you can often find.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRXt4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #7577
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlandsRacer View Post

My first post on NASIOC in months, and I get a typical NASIOC answer. Thanks for reminding me why I'm never on this forum, and that there are more douche canoe Subaru owners than I recalled.
Nothing typical about my answer.
My answer was full of facts and information.

Your response and inability to handle the truth is what is typical. Typical NASIOC cry baby that provides partial information and expects someone to decipher data from the stars and tell you what you want to hear.
Then when u hear the truth, you attack the poster.

However since I'm a vendor. I'm the ******* and you're the victim.

It gets so old dealing with insult slinging douche canoes like you.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #7578
john 1badSTI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 77470
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: grove city ohio
Vehicle:
04 sti 10.51@138.5
on e85@ 30psi--spinning

Default

Take what info you were given to be fact,Dom has been a very respected engine builder/tuner on the west coast so if he gives you advice/info it is for the good regardless if you like it or not.He was not trying to bash your setup just pointing out areas where money was spent and will not give much of a return in performance thats all.
john 1badSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #7579
BadlandsRacer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241694
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bismarck, ND
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza STi
World Rally Blue

Default

Mind = blown that any vendor would be so rude and unprofessional. Talk about a crappy way to run a business, I don't care if he can tune Jesus Christ's firebreathing golden chariot. It's an awful way to represent your company.
BadlandsRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #7580
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlandsRacer View Post
Mind = blown that any vendor would be so rude and unprofessional. Talk about a crappy way to run a business, I don't care if he can tune Jesus Christ's firebreathing golden chariot. It's an awful way to represent your company.
That claim again?

Look man, professional is a two way street.
Professional does not mean "the people's bitch".

I provided very direct and straight answers. As are required in a professional situation. I did not lie or manipulate the facts to try and sell you something you did not need as many of the vendors you would call professional do. I did not, however tell you what you wanted to hear.
You responded with insults as is typical on this board when people don't get their egos stroked by a vendor.

At that point, your professional interaction is non existent and I no longer have any obligation to be polite. I am fully allowed to defend my actions and tell you to get bent as you have already left the realm of logic and reason.

I am in no way obligated to let you call me names for providing you with truth and honesty.

So if a man who stands up for himself and his company, provides facts and answers and has an extremely higher level of knowledge than most builders (this is where you respond with insults about my ego- as is also typical in this type of exchange) then you don't want real service. You want a push over who will beg you for your dollar and tell you whatever it is you want to hear and feed your car crap parts that don't do anything.

You want a salesman. You want someone who's only passion is money.

My passion is improving this platform and getting more out of these cars with sound engineering and experience. My business is centered on core values like honesty and integrity.

I look forward to not doing business with you and people like you.

How's that for "mind blown"? You're a child.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #7581
BadlandsRacer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241694
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bismarck, ND
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza STi
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post

That claim again?

Look man, professional is a two way street.
Professional does not mean "the people's bitch".

I provided very direct and straight answers. As are required in a professional situation. I did not lie or manipulate the facts to try and sell you something you did not need as many of the vendors you would call professional do. I did not, however tell you what you wanted to hear.
You responded with insults as is typical on this board when people don't get their egos stroked by a vendor.

At that point, your professional interaction is non existent and I no longer have any obligation to be polite. I am fully allowed to defend my actions and tell you to get bent as you have already left the realm of logic and reason.

I am in no way obligated to let you call me names for providing you with truth and honesty.

So if a man who stands up for himself and his company, provides facts and answers and has an extremely higher level of knowledge than most builders (this is where you respond with insults about my ego- as is also typical in this type of exchange) then you don't want real service. You want a push over who will beg you for your dollar and tell you whatever it is you want to hear and feed your car crap parts that don't do anything.

You want a salesman. You want someone who's only passion is money.

My passion is improving this platform and getting more out of these cars with sound engineering and experience. My business is centered on core values like honesty and integrity.

I look forward to not doing business with you and people like you.

How's that for "mind blown"? You're a child.
That response would have actually been great, and very respectable, and I agree completely.... if you had only left out that very last line.

What I wanted was information and gentle redirection if it was necessary. I'm not opposed to hearing the truth. However, "porting factory headers is dumb and gimmicky" is your opinion, it's rude, and it doesn't educate me at all. Maybe next time, you could try "porting factory headers won't improve performance that much, and this is why" and the next person probably won't respond the way I did.

If you think someone made a poor choice modifying, that's fine, but try explaining why instead of just belittling them for their decisions and not saying anything else about it. Educate people with actual information instead of trying to make them feel stupid...then they'll pass it to others, and very likely include where that good info came from. Boom, your info spreads, your reputation improves, you get more customers, which allows you to help more people improve their platform, which is what you claim is your passion.
BadlandsRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #7582
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

You're right,I could have left that out. My response would have been different if you hadn't made the douche comment as well. So it really goes both ways.

I've honestly covered the ported header debate so many times it's old. , I could search and post a link or you could do your own research. You already purchased it though so you already missed that opportunity.

As for reputation, I have a very full shop with a waiting list months long. I have so many people that want our services, I can pick and choose who I tune and work on. This is in a region with 8 Subaru shops within three hours.

I won't lie though, I piss a lot of people off. I'm sure you agree.

I can promise you one thing: I won't lie. If I don't know, I'll say I don't know. If you can get better results by purchasing something that I don't sell, I'll tell you. I don't let my margin on products steer my sales or sway my opinion.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #7583
99STM
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219160
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lincoln, NE
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
AW (6MT, E85, EWG, VF39)

Default

BadlandsRacer, you are singled out against one of the best engine builders known to the Subaru community. This isn't Candy Land, not everything is sugar coated.
99STM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #7584
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

I appreciate the support guys.

However I don't want to team up on someone. We both over reacted a bit.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #7585
Zee Biker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166005
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern 'Burbs
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Beaten Silver

Default

Zee Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #7586
climberd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183019
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
05 LGT Stg3 Wgn
Black

Default

Dom is a special kind of analytical mind, who notices things that are a) very valuable to the end user, and b) often unnoticed or unknown by many "pro" tuners. At the end of the day, emotion doesn't build a better car. Knowledge does. Think about that next time you're turning a wrench or buying a part. Though NASIOC is a hotbed of poor manors, its still a good source of information (after sifting through mountains of crap) because people like Dom post their knowledge, for free. Though Dom I would pay you for a lot of the bits you have told me, and likely will in the form of an engine and possibly a tune review. Best lesson I ever learned was that <1% of people actually know what they're talking about, and one's success in life is directly proportional to where you get your information. Listen critically, listen wisely.
climberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #7587
thefoos
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 144751
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Granger, IN
Vehicle:
02 WRX BW EFR E85
7064 TS WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlandsRacer View Post
My first post on NASIOC in months, and I get a typical NASIOC answer. Thanks for reminding me why I'm never on this forum, and that there are more douche canoe Subaru owners than I recalled.
While he could have done it with a bit more tack, you didn't get "typical nasioc." You got truth backed by experience. I'll certainly back up his claim on porting the factory exhaust manifold and larger cross-pipes. I've done the testing myself. Often they degrade performance. Likewise larger diameter uppipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post
I won't lie though, I piss a lot of people off. I'm sure you agree.
People often don't like to hear the truth. And there is so much mythology floating out in the community, from BOV performance to BCS's and so on, its not funny. People don't like to hear they spent $XXX on a downgrade. They want you to lie to them and tell them they made the right choices, just like their ignorant buddy's.

Don't let them get under your skin. I know how it can be tough and annoying, but keep telling the truth.
thefoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #7588
mattyquinn22
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37045
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine, CA
Vehicle:
my99 Impreza Rs
silverthorne melatic

Default 06 LGT Spec B - VF52 - E85 Soon

Hey All,

Just got my Spec B tuned at Cobb So Cal. 305WHP / 310 WTQ on Cali 91 piss water.

Was going to get an E85 Tune the same day but they mentioned my fuel pressure tapered a bit too much. They said it was the inline fuel filter which I did not think I even had on my car.

They found the part and and it is this plastic housing with a small filter element in one side, saw mention of such an animal several pages back in this thread about its existence.

My question is with the dw65c, ID1000's and stock FPR I should be able to get a nice tune out of this set up correct? I would not think a VF52 even on E85 would max out the 265 fuel pump.

Mods

VF52
Access Port V3
Process West Top Mount
DW65c
ID1000's
ID Top Feed Conversion Kit
6AN Fuel Line Kit
09 WRX Turbo Supply and Return
Cobb XLE BOV (set full recirc)
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Cobb Intake
Cobb 3 Port EBCS
Invidia DP & Q300 Quad Tip
Cobb Up


Group N Tranny Mount
Cobb Heat Shield
Cobb Double Adjust Shifter w/ Bushings
Subtle Alternator Cover
Rebuilt Spec B Suspension Front & Rear Sways Stock Springs




Last edited by mattyquinn22; 08-21-2013 at 06:26 PM.
mattyquinn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #7589
Layvon
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 195711
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cadillac MI
Vehicle:
STi 04/05/06/07
JBP / OBP for now

Default

You would be fine. Witnessed a 2012 STi with dw65c and Id1000 stock FPR put down 360/420 in 85+ temps monday. Also had stock lines.
Layvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #7590
TDagen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163648
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota, mpls
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx,5.3L,S476r
FNF LSX Swap,E85 and more

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoos View Post
While he could have done it with a bit more tack, you didn't get "typical nasioc." You got truth backed by experience. I'll certainly back up his claim on porting the factory exhaust manifold and larger cross-pipes. I've done the testing myself. Often they degrade performance. Likewise larger diameter uppipes.
Larger diameter uppipes arent a bad thing. I've got a 2.25 inner diameter single scroll uppipe and it is amazing. I've ran all types of set ups and done my own testing and tuning also, twinscroll and all.

Fwiw on smaller sized set ups like stock turbos and stuff like that the smaller diameter up pipe would probably be a better fit. But for 30r sized turbo and up you want less restriction so the exhaust can get to the turbo asap and really get that turbo spinning. This is what I have found from my experience.
TDagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #7591
Maxwell Power
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 190729
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Marysville, WA
Default

everything is a balance. Once you establish proper flow paths, the size and length of the tubes all depends on total power output and system configuration.

Comparing up pipe sizes is about balancing flow to match total output and desired spool characteristics.
Comparing header designs is about proper flow path.

In other words, they aren't the same argument.

Last edited by Maxwell Power; 08-22-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: distracted posting.
Maxwell Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #7592
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

Very well said, and a concept a TON of people on here don't understand
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #7593
thefoos
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 144751
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Granger, IN
Vehicle:
02 WRX BW EFR E85
7064 TS WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDagen View Post
Larger diameter uppipes arent a bad thing. I've got a 2.25 inner diameter single scroll uppipe and it is amazing. I've ran all types of set ups and done my own testing and tuning also, twinscroll and all.

Fwiw on smaller sized set ups like stock turbos and stuff like that the smaller diameter up pipe would probably be a better fit. But for 30r sized turbo and up you want less restriction so the exhaust can get to the turbo asap and really get that turbo spinning. This is what I have found from my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post
everything is a balance. Once you establish proper flow paths, the size and length of the tubes all depends on total power output and system configuration.

Comparing up pipe sizes is about balancing flow to match total output and desired spool characteristics.
Comparing header designs is about proper flow path.

In other words, they aren't the same argument.
I lacked clarity to my statement. What Dom said. It's about matching parts. A 2.5" uppipe with your TD04 is going to be a downgrade. Too much "bigger is always better" thinking. While a slightly larger pipe with your 30R very well may improve performance....

My mind was thinking in cases where I've tuned stock turbos with PnP'd headers, big uppipes, large crossovers. I saw zero benefit to these things, and in some cases, they were downgrades. With bigger turbos, things of course could shift.
thefoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #7594
340Duster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 52314
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Following the green weenie
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX 16G-XT
'13 500 Abarth

Default

What can I do to help off idle throttle response? Tip in? Or are there other tables too? It seems better once it's nice and hot.
340Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #7595
TDagen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163648
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota, mpls
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx,5.3L,S476r
FNF LSX Swap,E85 and more

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoos View Post
I lacked clarity to my statement. What Dom said. It's about matching parts. A 2.5" uppipe with your TD04 is going to be a downgrade. Too much "bigger is always better" thinking. While a slightly larger pipe with your 30R very well may improve performance....

My mind was thinking in cases where I've tuned stock turbos with PnP'd headers, big uppipes, large crossovers. I saw zero benefit to these things, and in some cases, they were downgrades. With bigger turbos, things of course could shift.
Right on. This is exactly what I have found also.
TDagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #7596
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Duster View Post
What can I do to help off idle throttle response? Tip in? Or are there other tables too? It seems better once it's nice and hot.
richening things up usually helps to an extent...it can be pushed too far and actually start making things worse. If you are on a dbw subie, you can tune the dbw tables to help improve this drastically.
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #7597
340Duster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 52314
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Following the green weenie
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX 16G-XT
'13 500 Abarth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgrover View Post

richening things up usually helps to an extent...it can be pushed too far and actually start making things worse. If you are on a dbw subie, you can tune the dbw tables to help improve this drastically.
That's my assumption, but how far to go first experimenting, Idk. The wide band blips lean then goes rich, so I'd assume that's the direction to go.
340Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #7598
05_wRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170097
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi PTE6266
OBP

Default

I guess I should make it official. I have been running 100% e85 for the last few weeks. It's awesome! Lol. Not sure if Juan is still updating the first page, but just in case, here is my info.

Dyno numbers are from last week. Had some random ignition blow out with one step colder ngks gapped at .031-.032 that were installed when I bought the car (pre-gapped and never checked I assume). I just put in a new set of the same plugs gapped at .027 so that should do the trick.

559/487 dynojet (~81% ethanol) / 05_wRex / 2007 STi / ej257-rotated Pte 6266 29 psi tapering up to 30 psi / No ET / id2000s @ 87% / 750-1800 ft.

Stock fuel lines and top feed rails. Single walbro 465 lph pump. Base pressure set to 50 psi. High duty cycle is probably because the pump is falling off up top with the higher base pressure.
05_wRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #7599
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR Rally/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Nice numbers man
sackytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #7600
05_wRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170097
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi PTE6266
OBP

Default

Thanks! I'm finally happy with the car. Should have gone e85 months ago. Lol
05_wRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motion Lab Tuned: Juanmedina's 2007 WRX E85 ARMY Motion Lab Tuning Proven Power Bragging 125 04-12-2010 03:57 AM
jid2 Track Car - e85 ARMY jid2 Member's Car Gallery 38 01-22-2010 11:44 PM
The Honduran army is the bravest in the world... wrxcelent Off-Topic 36 07-07-2009 09:21 AM
Spacific E85 Tuning thread Here ? discopotato03 Engine Management & Tuning 1 09-09-2008 12:01 PM
Did anyone hear the one about the Italian army and the IRAQI satiation? Asinine Off-Topic 3 09-20-2005 08:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.