Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Smity Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211714
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
95 Sti Swapped GC8
Red

Default Ej20g boost and vacuum hose routing help

Hello, i am trying to figure out the info on the 3 port boost solenoid hoses. I can't seem to figure out which hose the restrictor pill goes in and also where the hoses go. I have a apexi intake and I don't know if the bottom solenoid hose goes to the nipple on the intake. Can anyone shed some light about the restrictor and these hoses? Thx
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Smity Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280926

I run my 3-port without a restrictor pill and it works fine and hits the target boost values.
I think it's only the 2 ports that have the restrictor - at least a 2 port will not run much more than wastegate pressure without a restrictor.

Bottom hose goes to the nipple on the intake.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
RallySport Direct
NASIOC Storefront Vendor

Member#: 33174
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
We are Open Late!
888-457-2559 Every day!

Yeah I don't think you need the restrictor pill in the EJ20G's, at least I never notice them in mine. And the hose on the bottom of the boost controller will hook up to the small nipple on the Apexi intake which can be seen here on the right hand side:

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Smity Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211714
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
95 Sti Swapped GC8
Red

Sweet....thx guys. Guess I wasted a $1.50 on a restrictor pill. I will jist use it on a necklace lol
Smity Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
rob
n00b Moderator

Member#: 811
Vehicle:
2000 RS-Ej20G
It tastes like burning

Incorrect. There is a factory restrictor pill in the bottom hose which is the return line from the BCS. Without the restrictor you will overboost with the stock ECU because the BCS will bleed off air from the wastegate faster than expected which keeps it closed. Ask me how I know this
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Very odd. I had to run the stock map a few weeks back when my last ECU chip failed. The car was doing 0.7 to 0.8 bar. Any one else running without the restrictor in the bottom hose and willing to share their experience?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
rob
n00b Moderator

Vehicle:
2000 RS-Ej20G
It tastes like burning

This was with the standard 3-port BCS and factory hose routing? If you poke around on the UK/Aus boards you will find many examples describing this. Here is one post I found with just a quick search;
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=23

When I swapped in the motor from a '95 WRX, I changed out all the rubber vacuum lines. I initially had overboost and after research I found that the stock line was supposed to have the restrictor. I dug the original rubber hose out of the trash and sure enough, there it was. Restrictor back in, all was well.

On a side note....I am curious about your chip failure. What happened?

-Rob
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

I guess there's just something wacky with my car.

I think the chip failure was caused by improper programming voltage and multiple erasures. I used a USB hub that didn't supply current to my programmer and I was getting errors while burning the chip . I then went through multiple erase and write cycles to try to get the map written. By the time I discovered the USB hub problem, the chip had an unwritable area near the end.

I decided to make 3 of Phil's boards as described on his site and despite my less than perfect soldering, they are working fine for me.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
rob
n00b Moderator

Vehicle:
2000 RS-Ej20G
It tastes like burning

Ah interesting. I have a couple FJ chips that were bad from the start, but nothing that have died from multiple cycles. If you ever need another dual eprom daughter boards, let me know.