Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2426
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPeaNut View Post
Honestly, what did you expect though. You can't flash a mother board bios and overclock it and expect the company to send you a new one when you fry the board.

You flash the ecu. The warranty should no longer apply.
You guys are off your rockers if you really think an AP Stage I tune is going to tax the OEM tranny to the point of failure. This transmission was obviously a problem before it got out the factory.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #2427
SealTeamPi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326857
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default SoA Horror

Name: Max Kagan

Make: 2012 WRX sedan

Mileage: ~18000

Time Out Of Use: 4 weeks and counting

Problem And Likely Cause: Oil Starvation causing intense heat melting rod bearings to crank shaft

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Abusive/Aggressive Driving

Your Story: I took the car to participate in an HPDE at Road Atlanta through NASA. Early on in the class my car overheated, boiled coolant and shot coolant all over the engine compartment, the oil boiled off and ruined the motor. This massive failure came as a huge surprise because the car had been recently serviced, I had checked all fluids and tires, the car was completely stock and was less than a year old.

I had the car towed to Subaru of Gwinnett in Deluth, GA based on its proximity since I live in Charleston, SC and I had to rent a vehicle to return to SC. This is when the majority of my issues began. The dealer told me that the vehicle needed to be inspected by a regional inspector, which didn't surprise me since the damage was serious. But it took two weeks for them to process my initial claim and deny it. The denial was based off the aggressive driving and essentially said it was my fault for not maintaining proper fluid level at all times. I had issues with this reasoning since I had taken the time to ensure proper fluid levels before driving the car and did not understand what other action I could have taken to prevent this. For those that say well you shouldn't have driven the car period, my response is that this car is marketed and sold as a performance vehicle.

Now I chose to appeal up the chain and saw no success or willingness to help out by SoA. They essentially stood their line and said they couldn't help me further. Again I was really hurt by the fact that SoA seemed to not have any empathy, or sympathy for that matter, and held on to the aggressive driving stance.

Now most would think this is where the issues would end, but oh boy you'd be wrong. I decided to bring the car back to Charleston so I could have a local shop work on it and fix the car up. I called ahead to notify Subaru of Gwinnett that I wanted to pick up the car on Saturday July 13th on Thursday July 11th. I was told by their service manager that it was plenty of time to arrange everything and it would be ready. She also told me I would be responsible for the tear down labor that was performed to investigate the warranty claim. I personally found this obscene because SoA had the tear down done to diagnosis the car and I felt that I shouldn't be paying for this work. I was told to contact SoA if I had an issue. So I did, and basically was told this was Standard Operating Procedure for the auto business, I told the rep I spoke to that this was SoA denying my warranty claim and then making me pay for the privilege and I felt insulted by it. They told me there was nothing I could do.

I planned to continue fighting, so I just figured I'd pay the fee and hope to get reimbursed. I go pick up the car and I rented a truck and trailer to tow the car back to SC. I will be honest and I didn't check too carefully everything because I expected that since I was told it would be ready, that as long as no damage was present everything would be in order. Again, I was wrong. When I dropped the car off at my shop, my mechanic and i were shocked at what we saw. All the engine parts, specifically the bolts had been thrown into a box with no regard for organization or labeling. The intercooler had multiple rows of fins bent in a manner that was consistent a wrench being drawn across the fins, some plastic parts were bent and warped cause they placed the short block on top of them and my battery was completely missing. All of this delays the work on my car for about a week as my mechanic sorts through the bolts and we need to order new parts for the engine we ordered. I can't believe a professional shop operates in this manner.

I called Subaru of Gwinnett and spoke with their Service Director to inform him of my anger and extreme dissatisfaction about the state my car was returned to me. I found out early on that he had no idea my car was taken from the shop and his response was essentially for me to return with the intercooler to see if his techs could fix it. My response was that his techs would not touch anything going into my car cause I was in Charleston and I have completely lost trust in any information that came out of that dealership. I am currently fighting to receive some compensation for what happened.

I am still fighting this and I am hoping in the next two weeks to come out of the tunnel of hell that has been this experience. I will update everyone as the situation presents itself.
SealTeamPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #2428
blackfang
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealTeamPi View Post
She also told me I would be responsible for the tear down labor that was performed to investigate the warranty claim. I personally found this obscene because SoA had the tear down done to diagnosis the car and I felt that I shouldn't be paying for this work. I was told to contact SoA if I had an issue. So I did, and basically was told this was Standard Operating Procedure for the auto business, I told the rep I spoke to that this was SoA denying my warranty claim and then making me pay for the privilege and I felt insulted by it. They told me there was nothing I could do.
I can tell you from working in this industry that yes there is a teardown that has to be done to determine cause. The technician who does this HAS to be paid for his time. They are not hourly or salary, they work off flat rate(basically commission) and get paid by the job.

With that said, I know for a fact(I was a Service Advisor for a Subaru dealer for 3 1/2 years), that if SOA wants an engine torn down to inspect and they do not cover the repairs, THEY CAN cover the teardown costs. I have done that a few times. The District Parts and Service Manager for SOA is the one who covers this for the dealer and they should have. If, the service advisor was a good one, they would have look into that first for you.

Second, the dealer should have contacted you PRIOR to the teardown to inform you that if it is not covered, that you may be responsible for the teardown. Since they did not, you never authorized the teardown as you were never given an estimate. If Toyota requires us to teardown an engine, or if we need to tear it down to diagnose it for a customer, I always call the customer first and give them the estimate before any teardown is started.

Also when they tear it down and the work is not done, they do not put it back together. You really need to fight this because that part of the ordeal has been handled very wrong!
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #2429
SealTeamPi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326857
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

I appreciate the response. I'll have to see what rights I have with respect to the teardown fees. Hopefully this leads to some progress.
SealTeamPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #2430
Avoegeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266911
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default Warranty Denied

Andy Voegeli
2011 WRX Hatch
41,800 miles
a week without car
threw a rod....likely cause? dealership rebuild and faulty work
Modifications are TBE, Perrin Air intake tube, TGV's, ACT HD Street clutch, sway bars, end links, Koni struts, RCE Black springs, Poly bushings all around. Cobb AP Protune.
Yes submitted for warranty work and then denied
reason for denial is cobb flash

Here is my story. I noticed some oil consumption on my trip back from my final season of filming Breaking Bad. The drive from New Mexico to NYC i consumed 4 quarts of oil. there was no visible signs of oil leakage and no smoke coming from my exhaust. Has to be my rings or my valves i assume. Knowing that my car has been modified i never expected any warranty work. So i took my car to Bill Kolb Jr Subaru in orangeburg NY for a compression test. i expressed my concerns and explained to subaru my modifications and my symptoms and paid out of pocket for a compression test. MY numbers came back within "spec". Subaru then gave me a receipt that says the engine was modified and sent me on my way. i asked them what my next course of action was and they sent me down the consumption test road. Under warranty mind you.

They gave me an oil change and asked me to come back in 1000 miles. Around 750 miles later i called them back and explained there was no oil on the dipstick. They asked me to come in immediately and drained the oil. I used 1.5 quarts in that time. They replaced the turbo under warranty. another oil change and please come back in 1000 miles. I get home and i notice in traffic my car is idling rough wanting to stall. vacuum leak? so i call them and they tell me to bring it back. they put me in a loaner and call me an hour later. you have a vacuum leak and its coming from the perrin air intake tube. they suggest pulling off the manifold and putting a stock one back in for $800. I asked him to please pull the TMIC and check the hose from the BOV to the manifold before they do anything else. sure enough it was off and i had a vacuum leak. No charge sorry for the mis diagnose they say. 850 miles later i call them to say there is no oil on the dipstick. bring the car in immediately they asked, so i did. almost 2 quarts of oil lost in 850 miles, they are pulling the motor and checking my pistons. i get a call the next day and they tell me the number 2 and 4 pistons have cracked ring lands. Subaru agreed to replace all my pistons and rings under warranty. The next day my steering rack goes and thats another $1300 REPAIR. new oil change and 800 miles later i come out from work and try and start my car. NOTHING. hmmm that's weird, click and nothing. i kept trying and my solenoid on the starter starts smoking.....WTF?! i can't win. so i tow the car to EFI Logics. i get a call later that afternoon and they tell me the engine is seized and i threw a rod that put a hole in the short block. my knock sensor was knocked right off by the thrown rod. and they also told me that the dog bone (engine mount) was missing. i had it immediately towed to Subaru.

Subaru told me that now they are gonna have to have the field rep come out and that he is probably gonna deny me warranty because the car was flashed and modified. WHAT!!?? how is that possible, you guys have been working on my car for the last month knowing up front what i have done to my car. It says it clearly on the first receipt from compression test that the engine has been modified. So here i am now with a blown motor and i'm getting no help from SOA with warranty claim.

I understand the concept of if you modify and tune your car you are voiding your warranty. i just want to know why the dealership did anything at all under warranty and since they did are they now not responsible for the thrown rod? how can that be the tune? i am currently writing letters to the dealership owner who hasn't returned my calls and SOA. My next step is to have a lawyer take this the next step.
Avoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #2431
blackfang
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Your first mistake is taking it to Bill Kolb. That dealer has issues. Look at the reviews on this site on how bad they are.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #2432
howhiami
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319174
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Satin White

Default

2009 Subaru WRX

80000 miles (21k on new short block)

Out of Service: 2 weeks

Problem Misfire cylinder 4 from overtightened valve

NO MODS!

Submitted for warranty and it was denied. SOA will only authorize an adjustment with shims/buckets. It's going to run me $3000.

Replacing the valves is covered under warranty but SOA will not do it. The dealership I have it at now replaced the short block just over a year ago. Is it possible they overtightened a valve?

The dealership is also telling me that they've seen multiple cases where they do the adjustment for an out of pocket expense and then months later customers will come back with the same issue, and only then will SOA authorize valve replacement under warranty.

any ideas...?

Last edited by howhiami; 12-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.
howhiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #2433
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howhiami View Post
Jeremy Siri

2009 Subaru WRX

80000 miles (21k on new short block)

Out of Service: 2 weeks

Problem Misfire cylinder 4 from overtightened valve

NO MODS!

Submitted for warranty and it was denied. SOA will only authorize an adjustment with shims/buckets. It's going to run me $3000.

Replacing the valves is covered under warranty but SOA will not do it. The dealership I have it at now replaced the short block just over a year ago. Is it possible they overtightened a valve?

The dealership is also telling me that they've seen multiple cases where they do the adjustment for an out of pocket expense and then months later customers will come back with the same issue, and only then will SOA authorize valve replacement under warranty.

any ideas...?
bing bing


Siri why did Subaru deny my warranty?

bing bing "because you're out of it and a possible parts warranty."

Do you have an extended warranty or something?
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2434
howhiami
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319174
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Satin White

Default

oh yes, subaru gold (worthless ****)
howhiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #2435
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

I think you should call the number on your Gold warranty as your dealership may be wrong.
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #2436
Chuck H
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20442
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Vehicle:
KTR tuned 2003 WRX
VF34 equipped, 270 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealTeamPi View Post
Name: Max Kagan

Make: 2012 WRX sedan

Mileage: ~18000

Time Out Of Use: 4 weeks and counting

Problem And Likely Cause: Oil Starvation causing intense heat melting rod bearings to crank shaft

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: Abusive/Aggressive Driving

Your Story: I took the car to participate in an HPDE at Road Atlanta through NASA. Early on in the class my car overheated, boiled coolant and shot coolant all over the engine compartment, the oil boiled off and ruined the motor. This massive failure came as a huge surprise because the car had been recently serviced, I had checked all fluids and tires, the car was completely stock and was less than a year old.

.....
Unless you continued to drive the car for another 10 or 20 laps after all your coolant exited the car, I think someone at Gwinnett Subaru was handing you a huge pile of BS about your motor. The boiling point of oil is up around 300C. There's no way your oil boiled off and ruined the motor, assuming that you pulled over after the you saw the huge cloud of white smoke when your coolant went bye bye.

I'd definitely have the independent shop tear down the motor again, and take a bunch of pictures, especially of the rod bearings. Spinning a bearing isn't a super-uncommon problem, but it can be caused by any number of oiling issues, with boiling the oil off being WAY down on the list. You could lose a bunch of oil from a loose filter, double rubber gasket on the filter, bad bearings in the turbo, etc.
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #2437
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Unless you continued to drive the car for another 10 or 20 laps after all your coolant exited the car, I think someone at Gwinnett Subaru was handing you a huge pile of BS about your motor. The boiling point of oil is up around 300C. There's no way your oil boiled off and ruined the motor, assuming that you pulled over after the you saw the huge cloud of white smoke when your coolant went bye bye.

I'd definitely have the independent shop tear down the motor again, and take a bunch of pictures, especially of the rod bearings. Spinning a bearing isn't a super-uncommon problem, but it can be caused by any number of oiling issues, with boiling the oil off being WAY down on the list. You could lose a bunch of oil from a loose filter, double rubber gasket on the filter, bad bearings in the turbo, etc.
Never ever could you spin a bearing from abusing a car on a track.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #2438
Chuck H
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20442
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Vehicle:
KTR tuned 2003 WRX
VF34 equipped, 270 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Never ever could you spin a bearing from abusing a car on a track.
I didn't say that. I said that it was highly unlikely that the oil "boiled off", resulting in all of the rod bearings welding themselves to the crank. Spinning a bearing is probably the most common way to lose a motor on the track, but it's not because your oil boiled away and left the bearings dry. Any mechanic who told an owner that story is completely clueless and is just making crap up.
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2439
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
I didn't say that. I said that it was highly unlikely that the oil "boiled off", resulting in all of the rod bearings welding themselves to the crank. Spinning a bearing is probably the most common way to lose a motor on the track, but it's not because your oil boiled away and left the bearings dry. Any mechanic who told an owner that story is completely clueless and is just making crap up.
It's a moot point. Car was damaged during a track event. That's not covered by the warranty. Period.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #2440
Chuck H
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20442
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Vehicle:
KTR tuned 2003 WRX
VF34 equipped, 270 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
It's a moot point. Car was damaged during a track event. That's not covered by the warranty. Period.
True. The dealership probably should have told the guy that before charging him for the tear-down, though. If they knew he had the car towed there from the track, there was no way they were going to cover it under warranty, so why get the guy's hopes up and stick him with the bill for unnecessary diagnostics?
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #2441
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
I didn't say that. I said that it was highly unlikely that the oil "boiled off", resulting in all of the rod bearings welding themselves to the crank. Spinning a bearing is probably the most common way to lose a motor on the track, but it's not because your oil boiled away and left the bearings dry. Any mechanic who told an owner that story is completely clueless and is just making crap up.
As spambot said, it really doesn't matter what they say, it's still not getting covered. The car suffered from abuse and now his car goes clack clack.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #2442
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
True. The dealership probably should have told the guy that before charging him for the tear-down, though. If they knew he had the car towed there from the track, there was no way they were going to cover it under warranty, so why get the guy's hopes up and stick him with the bill for unnecessary diagnostics?
If you read it correctly he gave them permission. You always have to get permission. Obviously the dealer has to get paid for the work done if the claim is denied. If this guy was actually smart he wouldn't have even gone to the dealer and just got his engine built since he knew he was abusing it. Again people get pissed off at Subaru because they are trying to get something for free when they shouldn't.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #2443
TeeJayHoward
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286449
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Name: Tim Howard

Make: 2011 WRX Base

Mileage: ~37K

Time Out Of Use: 6 hours

Problem And Likely Cause: What I thought was rod knock ended up being "your coil pack fell out".

Modifications: 1" Subtle Solutions lift. No powertrain modifications.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial: Coil pack falling out is not covered under powertrain warranty.

Your Story: Drove it home one night, and noticed a ticking when I pulled into the garage. Drove it down to the local Subaru dealership the next day. It was spitting and sputtering, had no power, didn't like to rev, and had a loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side engine bay. Ticking varied with engine RPM. Dropped it off at 8AM. Got a phone call at 2PM stating the issue, and that it wasn't covered by my warranty.

Video:
TeeJayHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #2444
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward View Post
Name: Tim Howard

Make: 2011 WRX Base

Mileage: ~37K

Time Out Of Use: 6 hours

Problem And Likely Cause: What I thought was rod knock ended up being "your coil pack fell out".

Modifications: 1" Subtle Solutions lift. No powertrain modifications.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial: Coil pack falling out is not covered under powertrain warranty.

Your Story: Drove it home one night, and noticed a ticking when I pulled into the garage. Drove it down to the local Subaru dealership the next day. It was spitting and sputtering, had no power, didn't like to rev, and had a loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side engine bay. Ticking varied with engine RPM. Dropped it off at 8AM. Got a phone call at 2PM stating the issue, and that it wasn't covered by my warranty.

Video:
Not rod knock?
So you don't have a spun bearing and you're mad about it? Not sure of your point. Kinda odd the coil fell out without anyone messing with it previously.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #2445
TeeJayHoward
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286449
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
So you don't have a spun bearing and you're mad about it? Not sure of your point. Kinda odd the coil fell out without anyone messing with it previously.
I'm mad that an aspect of the engine is not covered by the powertrain warranty. If one of their techs didn't mess it up, that means Subaru didn't put it together right from the factory - which is the kind of thing that a warranty is for, in my mind.
TeeJayHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #2446
blackfang
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward View Post
I'm mad that an aspect of the engine is not covered by the powertrain warranty. If one of their techs didn't mess it up, that means Subaru didn't put it together right from the factory - which is the kind of thing that a warranty is for, in my mind.


I hope you are joking. Yeah they put it in just wrong enough that it would only last 36,999 miles then it fails.

Warranty is for manufacturer defects during a certain time period, they are not for life. Welcome to owning a car where **** breaks or goes wrong.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #2447
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward View Post
I'm mad that an aspect of the engine is not covered by the powertrain warranty. If one of their techs didn't mess it up, that means Subaru didn't put it together right from the factory - which is the kind of thing that a warranty is for, in my mind.
There is no defect with the car. Look at it from Subaru's view. The car went 37k miles without the coil falling out then magically it does. Very odd don't you think? You do realize the coil is bolted down right? Quite honestly I think you were messing with seething and didn't tighten it back up. If you just purchased the car brand new and this happened its a different story.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #2448
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
Ice Silver

Default

Unfortunately Subaru is correct. In this instance, the powertrain warranty doesn't cover something like this.

What did it end up costing you?

Has anyone ever replaced the plugs and messed around with the coil packs? Like others noted, the packs are secured to the motor with bolts.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #2449
tehron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366601
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2007

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoegeli View Post
Andy Voegeli
2011 WRX Hatch
41,800 miles
a week without car
threw a rod....likely cause? dealership rebuild and faulty work
Modifications are TBE, Perrin Air intake tube, TGV's, ACT HD Street clutch, sway bars, end links, Koni struts, RCE Black springs, Poly bushings all around. Cobb AP Protune.
Yes submitted for warranty work and then denied
reason for denial is cobb flash

Here is my story. I noticed some oil consumption on my trip back from my final season of filming Breaking Bad. The drive from New Mexico to NYC i consumed 4 quarts of oil. there was no visible signs of oil leakage and no smoke coming from my exhaust. Has to be my rings or my valves i assume. Knowing that my car has been modified i never expected any warranty work. So i took my car to Bill Kolb Jr Subaru in orangeburg NY for a compression test. i expressed my concerns and explained to subaru my modifications and my symptoms and paid out of pocket for a compression test. MY numbers came back within "spec". Subaru then gave me a receipt that says the engine was modified and sent me on my way. i asked them what my next course of action was and they sent me down the consumption test road. Under warranty mind you.

They gave me an oil change and asked me to come back in 1000 miles. Around 750 miles later i called them back and explained there was no oil on the dipstick. They asked me to come in immediately and drained the oil. I used 1.5 quarts in that time. They replaced the turbo under warranty. another oil change and please come back in 1000 miles. I get home and i notice in traffic my car is idling rough wanting to stall. vacuum leak? so i call them and they tell me to bring it back. they put me in a loaner and call me an hour later. you have a vacuum leak and its coming from the perrin air intake tube. they suggest pulling off the manifold and putting a stock one back in for $800. I asked him to please pull the TMIC and check the hose from the BOV to the manifold before they do anything else. sure enough it was off and i had a vacuum leak. No charge sorry for the mis diagnose they say. 850 miles later i call them to say there is no oil on the dipstick. bring the car in immediately they asked, so i did. almost 2 quarts of oil lost in 850 miles, they are pulling the motor and checking my pistons. i get a call the next day and they tell me the number 2 and 4 pistons have cracked ring lands. Subaru agreed to replace all my pistons and rings under warranty. The next day my steering rack goes and thats another $1300 REPAIR. new oil change and 800 miles later i come out from work and try and start my car. NOTHING. hmmm that's weird, click and nothing. i kept trying and my solenoid on the starter starts smoking.....WTF?! i can't win. so i tow the car to EFI Logics. i get a call later that afternoon and they tell me the engine is seized and i threw a rod that put a hole in the short block. my knock sensor was knocked right off by the thrown rod. and they also told me that the dog bone (engine mount) was missing. i had it immediately towed to Subaru.

Subaru told me that now they are gonna have to have the field rep come out and that he is probably gonna deny me warranty because the car was flashed and modified. WHAT!!?? how is that possible, you guys have been working on my car for the last month knowing up front what i have done to my car. It says it clearly on the first receipt from compression test that the engine has been modified. So here i am now with a blown motor and i'm getting no help from SOA with warranty claim.

I understand the concept of if you modify and tune your car you are voiding your warranty. i just want to know why the dealership did anything at all under warranty and since they did are they now not responsible for the thrown rod? how can that be the tune? i am currently writing letters to the dealership owner who hasn't returned my calls and SOA. My next step is to have a lawyer take this the next step.

I'm surprised they touched your car in the first place based on your modifications. It IS kinda messed up that they all of a sudden decide to pull the modification card on you, but eh..
tehron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #2450
buggy85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366352
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

So I have a question for those who think SealTeamPi 2012 SUBARU WRX IMPREZA STI was abused, how do u abuse a car (STI) that was built, marketed and sold as an rally sport car?????
buggy85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 85 09-07-2014 10:34 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 52 08-13-2014 06:05 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Body/Exterior of Vehicle North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 131 05-07-2014 10:18 AM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 82 04-27-2014 08:34 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 58 01-12-2013 05:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.