Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
brandonk_5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 268700
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default Alpine m100 amp for just speakers?

Hey guys,

So the today I ended up selling my 2 12 inch mtx subs since I was getting tired of having no trunk. Long story short, the guy came over agreeing with 300 bucks for subs and amp, lowballed me and told him it sucks he just wasted gas cause I'm not accepting 80 bucks less than what he agreed to prior to coming by (huge pet peeve) so he just bought the subs.

The amp is sitting in my trunk not hooked up and I'm not sure if I should just sell it or if it would benefit me at all to keep it hooked up to just my stock speakers. Any input?

Also, with those 2 12s, I found myself never turning it up very loud since I couldn't stand the rattles. Any advice on what size I should look into for clean bass that fills the car but won't distort a little higher up in volume while not overpowering speakers? It's hard to explain.

I will read up more on other threads at work tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
brandonk_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
brandonk_5
Scooby Newbie

49 views, no responses? Sad panda...looking up other threads as we speak
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Is the amp currently running the front/rear speakers or are you talking about re-purposing it? Because am M100 is a mono amp, unless I am reading the specs incorrectly.

Have you used any deadener to control rattles?
Are you on factory or aftermarket speakers?

And to your last question, a small 10" sub should be fine unless you want to wake sleeping children. Even an 8" will be an improvement over nothing, particularly if you already have everything run and wired.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
brandonk_5
Scooby Newbie

Phen,

Yeah I have everything wired up already (other than I took the fuse + holder out of the engine pay so it wasn't just dangling there with an open wire. Speakers are stock, head unit is a double din pioneer unit.

I would assume it's running speakers since there were speaker cables back there that were plugged into the amp.

As for the 10 or 8, whatever works best to give me a full range of sound, but definitely want to steer clear from sounding anything like the system I just had.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Well with it being a mono amp it probably was (is) not powering the front speakers. Particularly if you still have sound up front with the fuse removed.

Most likely they used the speaker-level inputs, which explains the wires that you see.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote