Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4776
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

trip from Bay Area to Mammoth Lakes with some steep climbing (had to take Highway 108 to avoid fire): (AC on all the time, too!)

out to Mammoth (sea level to 8000 ft): 32.7 hand calculated. driving 65-70mph when on open road, but lots of engine breaking and slower driving pounding up 26% grade at some point (amazing to see how the average MPG readout plummeted when you are driving up such grades).

return to trip: 37.9 mpg hand calculated. this involved a gentler return trip along Highway140 and Yosemite so i got to enjoy slower speeds through the park: 37.9 MPG. it was actually at 47 on the computer readout at one point, and even 43MPG when i hit the flatlands, but with all the delays, i drove 70-75mpg on a goodstretch home and the computer readout dropped to 39mpg.

aside: will post on the general thread: but i came to appreciate some of the default engine breaking by the CVT down steep inclines. (and would upshift when i wanted to -- in these cases, the CVT kept my preference intact for long stretches)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #4777
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
trip from Bay Area to Mammoth Lakes with some steep climbing (had to take Highway 108 to avoid fire): (AC on all the time, too!)

out to Mammoth (sea level to 8000 ft): 32.7 hand calculated. driving 65-70mph when on open road, but lots of engine breaking and slower driving pounding up 26% grade at some point (amazing to see how the average MPG readout plummeted when you are driving up such grades).

return to trip: 37.9 mpg hand calculated. this involved a gentler return trip along Highway140 and Yosemite so i got to enjoy slower speeds through the park: 37.9 MPG. it was actually at 47 on the computer readout at one point, and even 43MPG when i hit the flatlands, but with all the delays, i drove 70-75mpg on a goodstretch home and the computer readout dropped to 39mpg.

aside: will post on the general thread: but i came to appreciate some of the default engine breaking by the CVT down steep inclines. (and would upshift when i wanted to -- in these cases, the CVT kept my preference intact for long stretches)
26% grade? Is that a typo
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #4778
hemophilic
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

2012 Sport Limited
Fuelly Lifetime AVG 27 MPG
City/Hwy 70/30
Usually avg mph is mid 20's

I'd like to propose an alternate comparison.
Please post your Fuelly "All Time Avg Price/Mile"
Mine is $0.132 USD.

I've logged 15833 miles in Fuelly.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #4779
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

26% grade? Is that a typo
Actually it is not! My friend told me it was 25% and I told him he surely must be misremembering since I've never seen a sign indicating anything bigger than 12-13% but there it was: 26% posted and it was really steep with switchbacks too! After that the 11% grade felt gentle!
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #4780
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post
2012 Sport Limited
Fuelly Lifetime AVG 27 MPG
City/Hwy 70/30
Usually avg mph is mid 20's

I'd like to propose an alternate comparison.
Please post your Fuelly "All Time Avg Price/Mile"
Mine is $0.132 USD.

I've logged 15833 miles in Fuelly.

Lifetime MPG Avg 28.2
Fuel-Ups 77
Best MPG 31.6
Miles Tracked 25,560
Cost/Mile $0.122
foghelmut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #4781
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Default

Lifetime mpg avg: 30.3
Fuel ups: 38
Best mpg: 36.9
Miles tracked: 12764
Cost/mile: $0.152
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4782
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

2012 5MT Sport
Lifetime mpg avg: 28.8
Fuel ups: 112
Best mpg: 36.0
Worst mpg : 22.1 (80% highway too!)
Miles tracked: 29595
Cost/mile: $0.127
City/HWY: 79/21
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #4783
NSU
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350059
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SE PA
Vehicle:
'13 Impreza 5dr MT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
Actually it is not! My friend told me it was 25% and I told him he surely must be misremembering since I've never seen a sign indicating anything bigger than 12-13% but there it was: 26% posted and it was really steep with switchbacks too! After that the 11% grade felt gentle!
26% = take the funicular up.
NSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #4784
SwaggerHound
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366520
Join Date: Aug 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5-door
World Rally Blue

Default

I just bought a moderately modded 2011 wrx. According to my mpg readout it says im averaging 25.2 mpg's all city. But my gas meter says other wise. Wrx has a 16.9 gal tank. Theoretically i should be getting close to 400 miles a tank. But the way the gas meter keeps going down im looking at 260-275 miles per tank city.
SwaggerHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #4785
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggerHound View Post
I just bought a moderately modded 2011 wrx. According to my mpg readout it says im averaging 25.2 mpg's all city. But my gas meter says other wise. Wrx has a 16.9 gal tank. Theoretically i should be getting close to 400 miles a tank. But the way the gas meter keeps going down im looking at 260-275 miles per tank city.
Hand calculate a couple of refills, calculate the difference, and then have the dealer reset the dash readout (+/- 6% adjustments are available in 1% increments).
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #4786
mav1178
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48846
Join Date: Nov 2003
Default

Am in the market for a 2013 Impreza Sport, and was wondering if the gas mileage on Fuelly is fairly accurate:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza

Seems like the 2013 models are averaging close to 30MPG overall. Is this pretty much what everyone is seeing?

Thanks in advance.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #4787
mav1178
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48846
Join Date: Nov 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
26% grade? Is that a typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
Actually it is not! My friend told me it was 25% and I told him he surely must be misremembering since I've never seen a sign indicating anything bigger than 12-13% but there it was: 26% posted and it was really steep with switchbacks too! After that the 11% grade felt gentle!
There's no way it is 26%, I drive up to Mammoth almost every weekend in the winter (and several times in the summer for MTB).

It's a 7% grade (you can verify by the sign going downhill when going south from Mammoth).

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm (posted as 7% in there)

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #4788
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

There's no way it is 26%, I drive up to Mammoth almost every weekend in the winter (and several times in the summer for MTB).

It's a 7% grade (you can verify by the sign going downhill when going south from Mammoth).
I never been over there but I looked it up back when this was posted and the info I read also said 26% grade. Can't tell you where right now though...
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #4789
mav1178
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48846
Join Date: Nov 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
I never been over there but I looked it up back when this was posted and the info I read also said 26% grade. Can't tell you where right now though...
My fault, I just re-read OP's post. He took Sonora Pass:

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/sunda...ss-3260019.php

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #4790
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

My fault, I just re-read OP's post. He took Sonora Pass:

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/sunda...ss-3260019.php

-alex
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. The 26% grade was indeed part of highway 108 Sonora Pass. Incredibly steep and windy. But the impreza handled it well.

I really can't think of how many grades I've encountered over 10%, let alone over 20%. This was impressive to drive.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #4791
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. The 26% grade was indeed part of highway 108 Sonora Pass. Incredibly steep and windy. But the impreza handled it well.

I really can't think of how many grades I've encountered over 10%, let alone over 20%. This was impressive to drive.
how did your oil level hold up with all the engine braking?
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #4792
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
how did your oil level hold up with all the engine braking?
funny you asked: i was just thinking about it and checked my oil an hour again.

i don't see any noticeable oil consumption over the last time i checked (prior to the trip) which was about 600 miles. i've also added another 300 miles the past week. so, over 900 mi, there was no noticeable drop in level on the dipstick (about an 1/8" over full which is exactly where it was when i changed oil 2400 mi ago.)

Last edited by nubsub; 09-03-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo: "no noticeable" was what i meant to say...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #4793
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Am in the market for a 2013 Impreza Sport, and was wondering if the gas mileage on Fuelly is fairly accurate:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza

Seems like the 2013 models are averaging close to 30MPG overall. Is this pretty much what everyone is seeing?

Thanks in advance.

-alex
I think it really depends on your driving habits. I think with the awd system, the engine can eat gas if youre a lead foot.

But if youre a sensible driver, 30mpg is a pretty good combined avg.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #4794
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
26% grade? Is that a typo
Idk but theres a 20% grade up in north carolina that I've driven on.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #4795
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post

funny you asked: i was just thinking about it and checked my oil an hour again.

i don't see any noticeable oil consumption over the last time i checked (prior to the trip) which was about 600 miles. i've also added another 300 miles the past week. so, over 900 mi, there is noticeable drop in level on the dipstick (about an 1/8" over full which is exactly where it was when i changed oil 2400 mi ago.)
I lost about 3/4qt when I was driving in the mountains, but I had a lot of engine braking, and put on 3x the amount you did (2000 miles, then another 1000 miles home)
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #4796
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I lost about 3/4qt when I was driving in the mountains, but I had a lot of engine braking, and put on 3x the amount you did (2000 miles, then another 1000 miles home)
it sounds like you did a lot more mountain driving than i did. it's hard to equate our trips and their severity. i had some strong engine breaking at times, but i don't think any where that sustained, and if i look it it all, out of 600 miles, it probably was only 200-300miles of it in the mountains
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #4797
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
it sounds like you did a lot more mountain driving than i did. it's hard to equate our trips and their severity. i had some strong engine breaking at times, but i don't think any where that sustained, and if i look it it all, out of 600 miles, it probably was only 200-300miles of it in the mountains
i definitely did more mountain driving then, there were times where i didn't touch the throttle for 5-10 minutes and just used engine braking to maintain speed downhill
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #4798
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

All Highway driving Monday .

35.7 mpg odometer read 158 miles. Not bad for a 5mt and a yakima rack.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #4799
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I'm giving up on 91e0, I'm just not seeing enough improvement to justify the extra 10-15% cost., when I can no longer find 87 e0, then I will try e10 for a while and get a new baseline
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #4800
dhlee528
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337395
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza SP Ltd
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I'm giving up on 91e0, I'm just not seeing enough improvement to justify the extra 10-15% cost., when I can no longer find 87 e0, then I will try e10 for a while and get a new baseline
I use 87e10 (regular) from Costco, and close to 95% highway, my trip meter usually says 34.5MPG when I have quarter left, and when I actually calculate I get bit low, somewhere in 31~32 MPG..

last weekend I went to Spokane WA from Olympia WA, trip meter was around 35 MPG with not so much in the cargo space (maybe 100lbs?)

Never tried 91...
dhlee528 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.