Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default 2013 Impreza CVT engine question.

Hi all, Just have my 2013 Sport Limited for 1 week, car had 15miles when i got it. I have few question regarding the engine.

Just had my first gas fillup, for 305miles, I only get an avg of 25MPG, that's from the car's read out and my hand calculation. So my question is why so low MPG. I was expecting something around the 30MPG. Do i have to wait for the break in period to get better mpg. BTW, my car est range is 360miles after fillup.

My second question is regarding the car's engine. when I took my feet of the gas pedal, and the car seems to slow down very fast. When I had my old car(99 Camry) I can let go my feet and it can cruise for much longer distance before slowing down and stop. Like at local street, I could let go the gas and the car could roll for a block or more, same for while im on highway. But in the Impreza, once i let go the gas, I can feel the car slowing down very fast. and I must put my feet on to keep it going. The same apply to stop and go situation, when I let go the break, i have to give a little gas for it to roll forward, as for my old car, it pretty much start rolling on its own.
Does this have to do with the CVT engine or the AWD system. Or I have a lemon.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2294777

check that out.
first off, yes you have to let the engine break in to get "better" MPG.
Second, if you only drive short distances then yea that is the milage your going to see.
third, estimated range is based on your current/average MPG, even if you reset the computer, it would still remember your average MPG.
fourth, thats just how the car is, wait till you find a down hill section.
fifth, thats just the nature of subaru's gen2 CVT. you have to learn how to adjust your driving technique. if you want good MPG you got to granny drive it. honda and toyota test their car's MPG based on real world situations. like gunning it, full a/c, etc. while subaru test their cars on controlled environments that you will probably never see. my honda s2000 is rated at 25 highway, but i can easily squeeze 35 mpg out of it or 30 on twisty back country roads. now with that said, 36 mpg in this car is really hard to achieve. but drive 58-60 mpg and you can see 38-40 mpg. i have on long road trips, with no traffic. but i also live in the city and have very short commutes, 2 miles or so. and my mileage plummets into 26-27mpg.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Wing, the mileage will steadily improve as the motor breaks in (6K+) and it is normal for the CVT to 'feel' like it is downshifting when you let off the gas to slow down or stop.

Stan

Haha...Ans2k beat me to the punch and with a better explanation...
uspopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
BigFatHorse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328167
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza MT PZEV
Silver

Default

Quote:
Just had my first gas fillup, for 305miles, I only get an avg of 25MPG, that's from the car's read out and my hand calculation. So my question is why so low MPG. I was expecting something around the 30MPG. Do i have to wait for the break in period to get better mpg. BTW, my car est range is 360miles after fillup.
If you read the mpg thread you will find some people that have had a similar experience. I think, for the most part, that they have seen their mpg increase as the car breaks in and they get used to driving it.

My opinion is that the biggest deciding factor in the mpg someone gets is how they drive the car. I would look at how you're driving. Watch your mpg needle and try to keep it on the positive side.

Quote:
My second question is regarding the car's engine. when I took my feet of the gas pedal, and the car seems to slow down very fast. When I had my old car(99 Camry) I can let go my feet and it can cruise for much longer distance before slowing down and stop. Like at local street, I could let go the gas and the car could roll for a block or more, same for while im on highway. But in the Impreza, once i let go the gas, I can feel the car slowing down very fast. and I must put my feet on to keep it going. The same apply to stop and go situation, when I let go the break, i have to give a little gas for it to roll forward, as for my old car, it pretty much start rolling on its own.
Does this have to do with the CVT engine or the AWD system. Or I have a lemon.
My Impreza is a 5-speed, but I did test drive the CVT. I think the CVT in the Impreza is known to engine brake aggressively. My guess is that is what you're experiencing. When you let off the gas, the car says "Hey, time to decelerate" and "shifts" down. It's trying to save you gas.

Someone who drives a CVT and/or knows more about this stuff could probably provide a more authoritative answer.
BigFatHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Thanks all, I drive about 45miles round trip daily with about 60% highway. I guess I just wait for the MPG to get better and drive like a granny on the right lane for now.

But the CVT is hard to get used to. that delay from park to go. Esp, when i let go the gas, the car immediately down shifts and slow down extremely fast. and the "down shift" with the pedal is awfully jerky.

At less it's not a lemon
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatHorse View Post
If you read the mpg thread you will find some people that have had a similar experience. I think, for the most part, that they have seen their mpg increase as the car breaks in and they get used to driving it.

My opinion is that the biggest deciding factor in the mpg someone gets is how they drive the car. I would look at how you're driving. Watch your mpg needle and try to keep it on the positive side.



My Impreza is a 5-speed, but I did test drive the CVT. I think the CVT in the Impreza is known to engine brake aggressively. My guess is that is what you're experiencing. When you let off the gas, the car says "Hey, time to decelerate" and "shifts" down. It's trying to save you gas.

Someone who drives a CVT and/or knows more about this stuff could probably provide a more authoritative answer.
it's just the the nature of the beast, the old gen1 cvt didnt do it, just gen2 gets it. two reasons: one, saves brakes (stupid), and two, prevents people from going too fast down a hill and finding out your brakes are bad or your tires suck and now you cant do **** about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Thanks all, I guess I just wait for the MPG to get better and drive like a granny on the right lane for now.

But the CVT is hard to get used to. that delay from park to go. Esp, when i let go the gas, the car immediately down shifts and slow down extremely fast.

At less it's not a lemon
yea the shift to drives kills me!!!! it is the most ridiculous thing ever. like i mentioned before i live in the city. can you imagine trying to parallel park fast. it's insane. i know its only a couple of seconds but damn it feels like forever sometimes.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
yea the shift to drives kills me!!!! it is the most ridiculous thing ever. like i mentioned before i live in the city. can you imagine trying to parallel park fast. it's insane. i know its only a couple of seconds but damn it feels like forever sometimes.
Yeah i agree. I dont like that 1.5sec it takes, why not instantaneous? Comparitively, my 95 accord used to do the same thing. When getting a new car i thought "finally done with that" and now i get it again. lol

No big deal, still love my car
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Hi all, Just have my 2013 Sport Limited for 1 week, car had 15miles when i got it. I have few question regarding the engine.

Just had my first gas fillup, for 305miles, I only get an avg of 25MPG, that's from the car's read out and my hand calculation. So my question is why so low MPG. I was expecting something around the 30MPG. Do i have to wait for the break in period to get better mpg. BTW, my car est range is 360miles after fillup.

My second question is regarding the car's engine. when I took my feet of the gas pedal, and the car seems to slow down very fast. When I had my old car(99 Camry) I can let go my feet and it can cruise for much longer distance before slowing down and stop. Like at local street, I could let go the gas and the car could roll for a block or more, same for while im on highway. But in the Impreza, once i let go the gas, I can feel the car slowing down very fast. and I must put my feet on to keep it going. The same apply to stop and go situation, when I let go the break, i have to give a little gas for it to roll forward, as for my old car, it pretty much start rolling on its own.
Does this have to do with the CVT engine or the AWD system. Or I have a lemon.
Sport with 3k on her and have never got over 22 in the city. This matches my much heavier 10 Outback
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
honda and toyota test their car's MPG based on real world situations. like gunning it, full a/c, etc. while subaru test their cars on controlled environments that you will probably never see.
This information is complete B.S.

The EPA certifies the estimated MPG for all new cars by all manufacturers.

If a manufacturer wants to sell a new car in the United States it has to pass the testing procedures specified by the EPA.

Honda and Toyota and Subaru and Kia and Porsche and every other new car manufacturer's car undergoes the same exact testing, as specified by the EPA, and the result is printed on the new car window sticker.

No manufacturer can "baby the car in non-real world conditions" to puff up the EPA number.

This should be obvious, because if they could do that, all manufacturers would (duh! insert dope slap here)
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

^Yup, the problem is that people don't drive the way the EPA tests, so then they wonder why they don't get the same mileage.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
^Yup, the problem is that people don't drive the way the EPA tests, so then they wonder why they don't get the same mileage.
So true. When I drive the Impreza I get a good 5/6 MPG increase over what my son gets when he drives it. He is the principle driver...
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

No manufacturer can "baby the car in non-real world conditions" to puff up the EPA number.

This should be obvious, because if they could do that, all manufacturers would (duh! insert dope slap here)
They certainly can puff up the EPA numbers by programming the engine and transmission to behave certain ways in response to throttle input. EPA testing is a static thing that doesn't change, all cars get the same test, on a dyno. Automakers know exactly what the testing involves and they do what they can to make sure the car behaves as well as possible in that test, even at the expense of real world driving.

If you are an automaker, would you rather put "40 MPG" on the winder on a car that is dyno optimized, or put "36 MPG" on the window on a car that was optimized for real world driving? They would rather put 40 MPG on the window. Putting 36 MPG on the window would mean a lot of people won't even look at the car.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

I don't think subaru engineered the car to outsmart the EPA testing -- but then be a horrible car to drive in real world conditions.

If that is what you think they do, you would be smart to buy a 5speed so you are not subject to their factory CVT limitations.

Motorsport reviews have all been pretty positive. If Subaru is doing that to its new impreza to fool the EPA, all the other car manufacturers must be doing it too!
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

cool this thread answered the same questions ive had with my 2012 impreza 2.0i....seems like others are experiencing the same thing.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
winglik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317022
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Yep, After 2 weeks driving around 500miles, I'm getting more used to the CVT engine, but it's not much better than my old 99 Camry 4sp auto. And that's a bigger car and I can get up to 24 miles with the same driving routine. Overall that car drives much smoother and i can let go the gas and let it cruises. This one i have constantly tapping my foot on the gas. The MPG on the second fillup is getting a little better, I hope I'll see some 30MPG soon...
winglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Yep, After 2 weeks driving around 500miles, I'm getting more used to the CVT engine, but it's not much better than my old 99 Camry 4sp auto. And that's a bigger car and I can get up to 24 miles with the same driving routine. Overall that car drives much smoother and i can let go the gas and let it cruises. This one i have constantly tapping my foot on the gas. The MPG on the second fillup is getting a little better, I hope I'll see some 30MPG soon...
The CVT is not an engine. You need to learn to drive the car better. If you're "constantly tapping your foot on the gas" you'll never see above 30mpg.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
bluepearly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331437
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza
Marine blue pearl

Default

i've had my 2013 5dr cvt for 3 weeks and noticed the same engine braking as you, so i don't think you have a lemon. the car will slow, then a dramatic hold back will occur, however after about 10 seconds of very slow rolling forward, i do notice the braking "releases" and the car will roll forward faster and more smoothly. i only let the car do this when no one is behind me b/c it appears that i'm slowing down for a light waaaay too soon. this is somewhat annoying in stop and go traffic, which constitutes most of my commute home.

as for mpg, altho i'm not a granny, i'm pretty sure i've always driven like one. so even in stop and go city driving i'm getting 30-31 and i'm only on my second tank of gas.

i still love the car and i love how i can paddle shift so easily when going down hills, i'm hoping this will save the brakes in the long run.
bluepearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
closedknuckle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366718
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default CVT, How long?

How long do you guys figure a cvt transmission will last? 100K miles?
200K miles?
closedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

192.354k miles, as long as you drive within -12.5 and 132 mph on paved roads. :-)~
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Disregard fuel economy for the first thousand miles. Vary speed and load, avoid cruise control and read the entire manual. This is very important as you'll have to live with the aftermath of the break-in for the life of the car.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
cherryfan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321153
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Colo.
Vehicle:
2012 Premium CVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Default

Been driving the CVT for a year and a half now. First thing to know is that you can hit the "+" paddle and that will allow you to coast as usual, without excessive engine braking. You don't need to shift to the simulated manual mode, just hit the paddle. The CVT will resume its usual habits when you hit the gas again.

Second, as the CVT breaks in, you will be able to modulate the acceleration. To get better mileage, you have to keep the revs below 4,000. Below 3,000 is even better.

And once you're up to speed, use cruise control whenever possible, even if it's only for 15 second at a time. Others can explain why this is so; all you need to do is try it, and you'll see the difference.

The Impreza/CVT combination gets phenomenal mileage at 40-60 mph. Other speeds, not so much. EPA highway test mph is about 48-49. Coincidence? I think not.

On the plus side, driving in the mountains in Colorado, highway mpg is easily 32-33 at 65-75 mph. Can't complain about that.
cherryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

The ideal way to drive the Impreza is to use very smooth escalating and deescalating pressure on the accelerator pedal. This takes some practice but if you have an Ultragauge or Scangauge you can really coach yourself into driving better. These gauges help you located that area on the accelerator where the injectors are off but the CVT won't shift down. Once you find that sweet spot you will be getting closer to 40 MPG with this vehicle on the highway. Every day on my morning commute of 32 miles(17 miles of rolling hills with stoplights and 15 miles of 65-75 highway driving) I get between 39 and 42 MPG without driving like a granny.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
mack400
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334350
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Fishkill, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Subaru STI Limi
Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglik View Post
Hi all, Just have my 2013 Sport Limited for 1 week, car had 15miles when i got it. I have few question regarding the engine.

Just had my first gas fillup, for 305miles, I only get an avg of 25MPG, that's from the car's read out and my hand calculation. So my question is why so low MPG. I was expecting something around the 30MPG. Do i have to wait for the break in period to get better mpg. BTW, my car est range is 360miles after fillup.

My second question is regarding the car's engine. when I took my feet of the gas pedal, and the car seems to slow down very fast. When I had my old car(99 Camry) I can let go my feet and it can cruise for much longer distance before slowing down and stop. Like at local street, I could let go the gas and the car could roll for a block or more, same for while im on highway. But in the Impreza, once i let go the gas, I can feel the car slowing down very fast. and I must put my feet on to keep it going. The same apply to stop and go situation, when I let go the break, i have to give a little gas for it to roll forward, as for my old car, it pretty much start rolling on its own.
Does this have to do with the CVT engine or the AWD system. Or I have a lemon.
Just purchased the same car. 1st tank 25.4 mpg and the car dord slow as you described. Welcome to CVT. Nice car .... too much windshield glare. I think a dashboard mat is first upgrade
mack400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryfan View Post
The Impreza/CVT combination gets phenomenal mileage at 40-60 mph. Other speeds, not so much. EPA highway test mph is about 48-49. Coincidence? I think not.
48-49mph is the average speed of the test. It simulates highway speeds but includes acceleration and deceleration. They also weight the results using a high speed test





If they tested the car at sub 50mph for the duration of the test, it would be rated higher than 36mpg HWY, the tests are meant to simulate highway speeds (~60mph)

But it is correct to say the EPA testing is meant to simulate ~60mph driving with a warmed up engine.

Last edited by Zeeper; 08-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
Every day on my morning commute of 32 miles(17 miles of rolling hills with stoplights and 15 miles of 65-75 highway driving) I get between 39 and 42 MPG without driving like a granny.
Much higher than I get with my 5 speed, using cruise control, @65-69mph, on relatively flat stretches of highway.

One might begin to think the CVT can return higher mpg's than the 5 speed on the Highway?

Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.