Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default Better mileage after CVTF and differential fluid changes.

I changed out my differential fluids myself four weeks ago and got my local dealer to flush the CVT and now I am getting 2.7 MPG better. For 3,500 Miles prior to the fluid changes I had been averaging 33.2 MPG and now over the past 1,700 miles I have been averaging 35.9 MPG. My commute, driving style, and environmental variables have been consistent.

This was my cars' first CTVF change(45K) but I have been doing my diffs every 15K. I am seriously thinking about starting to do CTVF changes every 30K as this increase in mileage may be an indicator of fluid breakdown.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
subaru222
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92967
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: socal
Vehicle:
2009 wrx hatch
dark grey metallic

Default

Hhhhmmmm interesting

What fliud did you use?
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru222 View Post
Hhhhmmmm interesting

What fliud did you use?
Royal Purple 75W-90(got it for $9.70/quart after coupons) for the differentials and the dealer used the Subaru CVTF for the transmission.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I've been running 75w90 synthetic (Amsoil) in the front and rear on the XV and my previous 12 Impreza.
I know it seems to give me *slightly* better mpg's. I did the tranny (5mt) and rear diff in the first month of ownership.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
fistv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350063
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Effort Pa
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza sport
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
I've been running 75w90 synthetic (Amsoil) in the front and rear on the XV and my previous 12 Impreza.
I know it seems to give me *slightly* better mpg's. I did the tranny (5mt) and rear diff in the first month of ownership.
Do the subaru manuals use sintered bearings in their trannies, that was an issue with the AX5 and AX15's in jeeps, the GL4, 5 and 6 sulfur would eat the sintered bearings pretty quick, ended up using MT90 or mobil1 10w30. It did not help that the FSM said GL5 was OK, turned out to be a misprint that they printed a supplement for 4 YEARS later.
fistv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

I have no idea. But afaik the most corrosive gear lube would be the "COCKTAIL".
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
I changed out my differential fluids myself four weeks ago and got my local dealer to flush the CVT and now I am getting 2.7 MPG better. For 3,500 Miles prior to the fluid changes I had been averaging 33.2 MPG and now over the past 1,700 miles I have been averaging 35.9 MPG. My commute, driving style, and environmental variables have been consistent.

This was my cars' first CTVF change(45K) but I have been doing my diffs every 15K. I am seriously thinking about starting to do CTVF changes every 30K as this increase in mileage may be an indicator of fluid breakdown.
How much did the dealer charge for cvt fluid change, if you don't mind me asking?
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Is it hard to change the front and rear diff fluids? I looked over the service manual and it didnt seem too bad, any special "gotchas" that I should be aware of?
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

It cost $284 after tax. 10 quarts of CVTF at $12.50/quart and 1.5 hours of labor at $97/hr.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Is it hard to change the front and rear diff fluids? I looked over the service manual and it didnt seem too bad, any special "gotchas" that I should be aware of?
Ive only done my 5mt's, but the rear is very easy. A $6 pump is your friend.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Is it hard to change the front and rear diff fluids? I looked over the service manual and it didnt seem too bad, any special "gotchas" that I should be aware of?
The rear is very straightforward and can be done in about 10-15 minutes. The front has one major gotcha to watch out for. There is a fill plug that looks like it is for the front diff on the driver's side of the differential(not sure where that plug goes to be honest) but the fill plug for the front diff is actually buried on the passenger side near the catalytic converter.

Also make sure that the car is level when raised otherwise your fluid levels will be off.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Oh- and a good breaker bar...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Oh- and a good breaker bar...
Or use the jack method.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Still dont want a chintzy breaker bar.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
I changed out my differential fluids myself four weeks ago and got my local dealer to flush the CVT and now I am getting 2.7 MPG better. For 3,500 Miles prior to the fluid changes I had been averaging 33.2 MPG and now over the past 1,700 miles I have been averaging 35.9 MPG. My commute, driving style, and environmental variables have been consistent.

This was my cars' first CTVF change(45K) but I have been doing my diffs every 15K. I am seriously thinking about starting to do CTVF changes every 30K as this increase in mileage may be an indicator of fluid breakdown.

I didn't noticed any better mpg's but it was noticable smoother after having all the fluids changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
It cost $284 after tax. 10 quarts of CVTF at $12.50/quart and 1.5 hours of labor at $97/hr.
I paid $290-something.
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305466
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Default

CLL_OBP, how many miles did you have on your vehicle when you got your factory fluid changed out?
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
CLL_OBP, how many miles did you have on your vehicle when you got your factory fluid changed out?
It was all @ 10.5k miles. When I saw the crap that came out of the differentials, I figured the CVTF had to be just as bad, and it was. They removed the pan and cleaned the screen and magnet. I guess the difference price we paid was charging me for 9 qts instead of 10 but adding $29 for that triple bond gasket stuff to reinstall the pan.
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Probably going to get my diffs and cvt fluid changed once I get closer to 30k
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Haunty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319378
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: West Central MN
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport Ltd.
Satin White Pearl

Default

That is interesting. I did some math and it's not really worth it for the 2.7 mpg better alone though, unless you only have to do it once and it lasts well over 30k miles.
Haunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Its not just good for an extra half mpg, it also gets lots of crap out and *may* help the car live longer. Ymmv of course.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #21
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
The front has one major gotcha to watch out for. There is a fill plug that looks like it is for the front diff on the driver's side of the differential(not sure where that plug goes to be honest)
That's the CVTF filler plug. Where it's located does look like it would fill the front diff. That would be one major gotcha if you put gear oil in your CVT.
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued View Post
The rear is very straightforward and can be done in about 10-15 minutes. The front has one major gotcha to watch out for. There is a fill plug that looks like it is for the front diff on the driver's side of the differential(not sure where that plug goes to be honest) but the fill plug for the front diff is actually buried on the passenger side near the catalytic converter. Also make sure that the car is level when raised otherwise your fluid levels will be off.
So what size tools (hex, torx) did you need for the drain/fill plugs?
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
So what size tools (hex, torx) did you need for the drain/fill plugs?
Front fill & check plug = H8
Front drain = T70
Rear fill & drain = H10
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
Front fill & check plug = H8 Front drain = T70 Rear fill & drain = H10
Awesome thanks man! I've never used anything bigger than a T60 before lol
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Awesome thanks man! I've never used anything bigger than a T60 before lol
Your welcome. Yeah, my torx bit set only goes up to T60 and I had to buy an extra bit. The cheapest place I've seen to get all three of them is Autozone. I paid $3.99 each and it's made by Duralast. The H10& H8 are 3/8" drive and the T70 is 1/2".
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.