Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default Underseat sub

Any of you guys use under seat subs? I'm "not allowed" to put my Sundown SA12 in the new forester (thanks wife), so I'm thinking an under seat sub will help round out my audio.

Yes, I have considered going with a Sundown SA8, but the appropriate enclosure would still take up a large portion of the rear cargo area. Custom fit enclosures aren't yet available for the 2014 FXT either, so that's out as well.

So far I've seen that focal makes a great sub for this application and it fits nicely under the driver's seat with little modification.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
kh15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132400
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Sound Ordnance B-8PT, its amazing!
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
Sound Ordnance B-8PT, its amazing!
I've seen that one mentioned. Where did you get yours?
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
GreyFixer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332965
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
White

Default

GreyFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

I can't find that model and I only found one of this model:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=85248455310
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
scoe141
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 357467
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

The Kicker 11HS8 is a little pricey, but this also might be an option.
scoe141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
blurple203
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360576
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

i have a SA-8v2 going in my wrx hatch and it's only going to render the smaller fold down seat area unusable. and there's still around ~8 inches in front of the box to the hatch door. or you could blow some real $ and go audio integrations enclosure (if they make one for the forester)
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoe141 View Post
The Kicker 11HS8 is a little pricey, but this also might be an option.
I'll look that up. The focal is $299, so hopefully it is around that or less. Is it a good product? I've never used kicker before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurple203 View Post
i have a SA-8v2 going in my wrx hatch and it's only going to render the smaller fold down seat area unusable. and there's still around ~8 inches in front of the box to the hatch door. or you could blow some real $ and go audio integrations enclosure (if they make one for the forester)
What size box did you use and where did you get it? Also, how did you attach it to your cargo area? I'd love to just go with an SA8 because all I'd need is a box and sub, I've already got an alpine MX100 (1000rms) that will provide clean power. Do you have any pictures of the setup? I am VERY excited to hear it's smaller than I had previously estimated I LOVE sundown

If I go this option, should I go with a SA-8 V2 or V1?

Last edited by skatin707; 09-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
blurple203
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360576
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Total air space in the enclosure is right around .75 cu ft which is what sundown recommends. I gave Dave the box guy some dimensions to work with and he said it'd fit (it has an angled back to not waste any space, and its guna have a front facing sub and aero port.) I should get the box in the next week or so, but its even guna fit underneath my cargo area cover (with the cargo area mat installed) so I can hide it.
But I'm probably going to just screw down with some L brackets. You cant see screw holes in carpet easily. It u could use straps and use the strap rings in the cargo area.

And is go v2. Better design, handles power better and is just a little more expensive.
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22825
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

There was in the past a vendor here (RammAudio) that made a 10" underseat enclosure at first modeled from an FXT, later compatible with the STi. Didn't work with a WRX as the seat was too low.

That was a 10" from Arc Audio, and provided enough air space to work properly, all while in a custom fiberglass enclosure.
Sadly this product isn't around anymore.

However, that doesn't mean you can't have something custom made. I have a custom fiberglass enclosure for a pair of 8" subs from CDT that is in my trunk area that was somewhere around $350 to make from a local shop.



Typically though, you pick out a sound you are trying to go after, a location to place it, then pick out a sub. But since you're set on a sub first, that could limit your underseat choices...
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

I'm not set on a sub first, I've already decided I don't "need" the powerful bass that my SA12 provided. I am focused on a more full sound, these speakers provide no low end. I'm really on the last stage, picking an under sear sub to go under the driver's seat since custom enclosures aren't available.

Paying for the custom work is a bad idea because it would all be done in Hawaii I can't imagine the markup.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
kh15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132400
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

I have my B-8PT on about level 8 (out of 12) to achieve a very nice full sound. Turned all the way up it will throw some kick for an under seat sub, far more than is ever appropriate if your into sound quality and not some young kid into having you license plate rattle off!

Got mine at crutchfield, came with a free install kit. I didn't use it but it is a nice option.
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
I have my B-8PT on about level 8 (out of 12) to achieve a very nice full sound. Turned all the way up it will throw some kick for an under seat sub, far more than is ever appropriate if your into sound quality and not some young kid into having you license plate rattle off!

Got mine at crutchfield, came with a free install kit. I didn't use it but it is a nice option.
Crutchfield doesn't sell them anymore it seems like a great option to get a more full sound. I'm no sound pro, but I just want a little bass. I certainly don't plan on using my Forester to complete is subwoofer beat offs
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
sans meaning
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189994
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NE Ill
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
obp

Default

I had a SA8 in a sealed box under the seat of my 04sti.

Nothing of value to add, saw Sundown and clicked. Good luck.
sans meaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
blurple203
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360576
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Just came to me I remember on an audio forum Jacob the owner of sundown talking about a 6.5 " sub, don't know what came of it though.
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post
I'm not set on a sub first, I've already decided I don't "need" the powerful bass that my SA12 provided. I am focused on a more full sound, these speakers provide no low end. I'm really on the last stage, picking an under sear sub to go under the driver's seat since custom enclosures aren't available.

Paying for the custom work is a bad idea because it would all be done in Hawaii I can't imagine the markup.
Labor in Hawaii is the same as the continental US. Their parts though are marked up, and its better to pay cash and make a deal or buy online and ship.

Lived there for some 20+ years and had a few different shops install stereos for me in the late 90's-early 2000's
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurple203 View Post
Just came to me I remember on an audio forum Jacob the owner of sundown talking about a 6.5 " sub, don't know what came of it though.
I bet that would be a decent solution if they came out with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post

Labor in Hawaii is the same as the continental US. Their parts though are marked up, and its better to pay cash and make a deal or buy online and ship.

Lived there for some 20+ years and had a few different shops install stereos for me in the late 90's-early 2000's
Well that's crazy. Mechanics, tattoo artists, various contractors, and plumbers have all quoted me absurd rates vs what i pay here in Delaware. I just figured that would carry into audio. Guess I was wrong.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
scoe141
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 357467
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post
I'll look that up. The focal is $299, so hopefully it is around that or less. Is it a good product? I've never used kicker before.
When I had my old scoob I was looking for a sub to put under my seat and thats's the one I was looking at. At the time it was one of few options I found that would fit underneath the seat. It's also $299 at Crutchfield, but is currently out of stock.

The reviews there are as follows:

(32 people reviewed)

***** (22 people)
****(7 people)
*** (0 peops)
** (0 peops)
* (3 people)

The most helpful review was by 'carguy' from Indianapolis, IN.

They wrote,

Overall a great sub considering the size. If tuned properly, this sub can delivery without taking up your entire car. I am just writing this review to warn buyers about 1 specific thing...the description is very ambitious about this sub having preamp inputs but does indicate that it can take them. This would make any normal person assume that the box has preamp inputs but it doesn't. Turns out you have to buy an adapter to be able to input via RCA cables and this was not specified in the item description or detail. If you need preamp inputs, you need an adapter. If you are giving this sub a signal from a speaker line, you should be fine out of the box.

12 out of 13 people found this helpful

Good luck.

Last edited by scoe141; 09-04-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Added price; fixed spelling error. Took sip of coffee.
scoe141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
blurple203
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360576
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...oofer-project/

there's the link i was talking about
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

That's awesome! Thank you for that link.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
blurple203
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360576
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Base WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

might be awhile until you even get a chance to purchase a prototype though, so you could always go JL Audio 6".

either way i'm tuned in for updates
blurple203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurple203 View Post
might be awhile until you even get a chance to purchase a prototype though, so you could always go JL Audio 6".

either way i'm tuned in for updates
That's definitely something worth waiting for, but I'll probably continue looking into the SA8 and the under seat sub for now.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22825
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post

Well that's crazy. Mechanics, tattoo artists, various contractors, and plumbers have all quoted me absurd rates vs what i pay here in Delaware. I just figured that would carry into audio. Guess I was wrong.
The sad thruth is that youre caucasian, and in the military. You are a prime target to charge "retail."

Any one else that is local or asian or pacific islander gets a different price.

That said make friends that are locals, its the only way youll get deals and find out where the deals are. Hawaii is all about nepotism and who you know. They take care of their own...
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
skatin707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251552
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2014 FXT
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiva-boy View Post

The sad thruth is that youre caucasian, and in the military. You are a prime target to charge "retail."

Any one else that is local or asian or pacific islander gets a different price.

That said make friends that are locals, its the only way youll get deals and find out where the deals are. Hawaii is all about nepotism and who you know. They take care of their own...
They don't know my race or profession. I talked to them on the phone.

I'm actually Hispanic though.

Either way, I'm not looking forward to going to Hawaii. I would have turned down the orders if it wasn't for my wife fulfilling her dream of finishing her biology masters at the University of Hawaii.

You don't need to make me any more sad about it.
skatin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Jewbaru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1994
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: "Teh Hebro Town"
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post
They don't know my race or profession. I talked to them on the phone.

I'm actually Hispanic though.

Either way, I'm not looking forward to going to Hawaii. I would have turned down the orders if it wasn't for my wife fulfilling her dream of finishing her biology masters at the University of Hawaii.

You don't need to make me any more sad about it.
Hit up the Hawaii region.

I'm debating an underseat sub... I'm just not sure how my gf would react. She could either be really irritated, or I might need to scotch guard my passenger seat.
Jewbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.