Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
kesiki
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318423
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SSM

Default Fram oil filter fits?

Hi
I have a 2011 wrx and today I hit up the local Walmart to buy oil and a filter. I bought 5 quarts of ultra penzoil synthetic and xg fram oil filter. So as I was changing the filter out I notice right away the one filter was bigger than the other. I accidentally bought the 7317 filter (used to fit the rsx)which is bigger than the 6607. I just wanted to see if the filter would fit and it does. It threads on perfectly.

My question is will I have any issues running the bigger 7317 filter and what's the size of the filter's purpose?

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kesiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
JDMJNKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253498
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Vehicle:
05 RSTI
MURK'D

Default

Step 1: Type fram 6607 in google serach engine

Step 2: Click link most fitting to situation

http://forums.nicoclub.com/fram-oil-...e-t379468.html

Step 3: Speed read for realitive info. - reduces time spent

"I'm no expert by any means, but a quick search on Fram 6607 and 7317 show them as interchangeable. They also work in Mazda's and Acura's. The 7317 has more filter surface area and the 6607 is suggested for limited-space applications."


Step 4:
PLAN B - Lay your burden upon another
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
kesiki
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318423
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SSM

Default

Haha thanks for the quick reply. I feel better now.
kesiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

You might as well put the ****tiest dino oil you can find in it if you're going to put a FRAM filter on it.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default



Been using FRAM for decades. Not a single problem.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
mejifair
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11356
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Vehicle:
2012 WRX STi Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post


Been using FRAM for decades. Not a single problem.
Seen this yet? Didn't think so.

mejifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
surowrxa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102895
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
'12 Forester
'08 Legacy

Default

Fram filters will work, just not very well.

That being said I use OEM when the car is under warranty, then step it down to Purolator PO. You can get a bundle of OE filters for almost the same price as aftermarket, why risk your engine not being covered over small change.
surowrxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesiki View Post
Hi
I have a 2011 wrx and today I hit up the local Walmart to buy oil and a filter. I bought 5 quarts of ultra penzoil synthetic and xg fram oil filter. So as I was changing the filter out I notice right away the one filter was bigger than the other. I accidentally bought the 7317 filter (used to fit the rsx)which is bigger than the 6607. I just wanted to see if the filter would fit and it does. It threads on perfectly.

My question is will I have any issues running the bigger 7317 filter and what's the size of the filter's purpose?

Thanks!
6607 is that really small filter, same M20 x 1.5 threads as the taller 7317. No problem there. The XG is the top line Fram filter. It has 2 layers of synthetic media and a wire screen in between. It is a much better build quality than the old orange can (OCOD). Search for the XG Fram on Bob Is The Oil Guy and see for yourself. Only thing is, OEM filters are listed having a 23 psi bypass valve and these XG filter are 11.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejifair View Post
Seen this yet? Didn't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

And what does this video have anything to do with my hundreds of problem free filters I've used?
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
subi400
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216984
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Hayden, ID
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza outback
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
And what does this video have anything to do with my hundreds of problem free filters I've used?
I don't think you get it do ya.... doesn't matter how the filter filters the oil, if it DOES NOT have the right bypass spec of 23 psi then the filter will be in bypass mode at least 50 % of the time. Tell me how that filter is filter your oil correctly...hmm??

Don't you get it that subaru engines run almost double the oil pressure compared to others there for they require a filter with the correct bypass spec of 23 psi... in order to filter an adequate amount of oil during operation...

Go take your engine apart and tell me how that filter is doing...

I once used the fram orange filter on my 96 impreza 2.2 until I found out that the filter didn't have the correct bypass spec of 23 psi so I made the switch to the PureOne Purelator PL14460 which DOES have the correct bypass spec of 23 psi. It doesn't become the question of if an oil filter filtering oil correctly, but rather does it filter oil the correct amount of time based off the given oil pressure for that engine.

Last edited by subi400; 09-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.
subi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi400 View Post
I don't think you get it do ya.... doesn't matter how the filter filters the oil, if it DOES NOT have the right bypass spec of 23 psi then the filter will be in bypass mode at least 50 % of the time. Tell me how that filter is filter your oil correctly...hmm??

Don't you get it that subaru engines run almost double the oil pressure compared to others there for they require a filter with the correct bypass spec of 23 psi... in order to filter an adequate amount of oil during operation...

Go take your engine apart and tell me how that filter is doing...
WTF?

Stop throwing around specific numbers when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. At least 50% of the time? Based on what analysis? Show me some engineering calculations or empirical data please.

Double the oil pressure? Um, no. The PRV is set at 85 psi, which is pretty normal for all engines, lots of old-school pushrod 'merican V8s have higher PRV settings.

You make an awful lot of strong, inflammatory statements for the amount of real information you provide.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
subi400
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216984
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Hayden, ID
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza outback
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
WTF?

Stop throwing around specific numbers when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. At least 50% of the time? Based on what analysis? Show me some engineering calculations or empirical data please.

Double the oil pressure? Um, no. The PRV is set at 85 psi, which is pretty normal for all engines, lots of old-school pushrod 'merican V8s have higher PRV settings.

You make an awful lot of strong, inflammatory statements for the amount of real information you provide.
Where's your data to show that other filters with under the specific 23 psi bypass spec filter the oil the adequate amount of time during operation... hmm?

Go take a look on BITOG website for a while and tell me I don't know what I am talking about in regards to subaru engines, their oil pressure and the proper filters to use...
subi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
subiFKNpowers
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361942
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Eastbound and Down
Vehicle:
06 TR VF39/E85
Graphite & Carbonfiber

Default

Its ur car run what you want. But I will never use fram in my subi or any of my other vehicles. Look into the roki mazda rx8 or even the brz filter has same bypass with a larger filtering media.
subiFKNpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
subiFKNpowers
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361942
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Eastbound and Down
Vehicle:
06 TR VF39/E85
Graphite & Carbonfiber

Default

sorry for double posting but i watched both fram videos and i will say im impressed by the rigorous testing that do on their products.
subiFKNpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post


Been using FRAM for decades. Not a single problem.
Your car probably won't notice the difference between synthetic and non-synthetic oil either, but why would you cheap out on a $3 oil filter when you can get something better for a cup of coffee more?

It always makes me giggle when I see someone buy one of the best synthetic oils on the market like the OP did and then cheap out on the filter. Really?

Ultimately, it's your car and you can be a cheapskate if you want to. I don't know why you wouldn't suck up the extra $2-$3/filter and buy something far superior.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
surowrxa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102895
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
'12 Forester
'08 Legacy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
It always makes me giggle when I see someone buy one of the best synthetic oils on the market like the OP did and then cheap out on the filter. Really?
Here is the irony. Fram Extended Guard filters are not cheap. The 7317 model is $9 @ my Wal-Mart. Here is an OE filter package deal from Chaplins:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1520
They come out to $5.55 each. Did not calculate shipping, but Byers (OH) ships free with dirt cheap prices too.

My guess is Wal-Mart was the "one stop shop" for the OP. I can't blame them, I don't want an extra stop running around getting stuff done...but then there is the internet.
surowrxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post

Your car probably won't notice the difference between synthetic and non-synthetic oil either, but why would you cheap out on a $3 oil filter when you can get something better for a cup of coffee more?

It always makes me giggle when I see someone buy one of the best synthetic oils on the market like the OP did and then cheap out on the filter. Really?

Ultimately, it's your car and you can be a cheapskate if you want to. I don't know why you wouldn't suck up the extra $2-$3/filter and buy something far superior.
Show me a Subaru turbo used oil analysis using a Fram oil filter and the uoa was flagged for poor oil filtration. One may exist, I really don't know. People also say the OEM Honeywell filters suck, yet they continue to produce stellar uoa's.

Why would anyone look at random videos or pics of cut up filters when there is DATA on these things in our cars right here on nasioc? Yeah, really.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
motorking
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254457
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: detroit
Vehicle:
1967 mustang
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesiki View Post
Hi
I have a 2011 wrx and today I hit up the local Walmart to buy oil and a filter. I bought 5 quarts of ultra penzoil synthetic and xg fram oil filter. So as I was changing the filter out I notice right away the one filter was bigger than the other. I accidentally bought the 7317 filter (used to fit the rsx)which is bigger than the 6607. I just wanted to see if the filter would fit and it does. It threads on perfectly.

My question is will I have any issues running the bigger 7317 filter and what's the size of the filter's purpose?

Thanks!
Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. The 6607 and 7317 do both have the same thread size at 22mm, and the same bypass valve setting at 13psi. The gaskets are very nearly in exactly the same place. I have a 2005 Nissan 350Z that also calls for the 6607 and I run a XG7317 on it. I personally like having the larger filter due to having a big turbo on this car. No issues, that said I must tell you this as a oil filter company employee. If you install a filter on your car that is incorrect for your car, you not be covered in the event of a failure. Claims processors (at all auto parts companies) are trained to confirm the right part number was used in the first place.
So, sorry for the long answer but like anything else, its complicated
motorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
motorking
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254457
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: detroit
Vehicle:
1967 mustang
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surowrxa View Post
Here is the irony. Fram Extended Guard filters are not cheap. The 7317 model is $9 @ my Wal-Mart. Here is an OE filter package deal from Chaplins:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1520
They come out to $5.55 each. Did not calculate shipping, but Byers (OH) ships free with dirt cheap prices too.

My guess is Wal-Mart was the "one stop shop" for the OP. I can't blame them, I don't want an extra stop running around getting stuff done...but then there is the internet.
Well, you get what you pay for. The FRAM Ultra (formerly extended guard) is a way better filter than the oe filter. Dual layer synthetic media wrapped around a pleated metal screen vs a standard cellulose/synthetic single layer media.
motorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
motorking
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254457
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: detroit
Vehicle:
1967 mustang
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
You might as well put the ****tiest dino oil you can find in it if you're going to put a FRAM filter on it.
Really? That is a pretty harsh comment with nothing from you to back it up. I work for FRAM so I do take it personally. I run XG filters on my 480HP 350Z and my 430ci windsor 67 Mustang. So you know better than the engineers at Subaru?
The FRAM XG filter is by far the best oil filter made at any price. If you actually took the time to do a little research, you would figure that out.

The XG filter is a dual layer full synthetic media wrapped around a stainless steel screen, silicone antidrain back valve, 99% efficiency using ISO 4548-12 testing, 15k change interval capacity, nothing in the oil filter industry comes close.
motorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
point78
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344329
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx, 6mt

Default

I've been using the 2009 rx8, Tokyo Roki filters.

Proper bypass & have a suspicious black color...
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

And the oil filter hypocrites can all shut it. The best filter on earth is an oil bypass unit. Don't have one? Shut it. I run orange Frams or whatever is on sale at Walmart.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

I used to use the FRAM TG filters, until I had several in succession that leaked at the seam. Prior to this event, I have used Fram filters on all my cars for over 30 years. Never a problem.

If you don't experience the leaky seam, FRAM filters work very well, as long as they fit that is .
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
rdieder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257818
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: ABQ, NM
Vehicle:
2007 STi
CGM

Default

from bitog:


"According to Purolator, the Honda OEM filter bypass setting is 12 to 14 psi. WIX (NAPA Gold) builds their oil filters with a bypass setting of 8 to 11 psi, while AC Delco builds theirs to a setting of 11 to 17 psi. How much do these differences matter? I don't think anyone knows, even the engineers, and each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

If you do lots of racing, you're probably better off with a higher bypass setting.
If you do lots of *cold* starting, especially in the winter, or seldom change your filter, I think you're better off with a lower bypass setting. However, with few exceptions, bypass pressures for spin-on filters run in the 8 to 17 psi range, and any of them should work acceptably. "

Good to know i didnt hurt my engine when i was lazy to get an OEM oil filter from the dealer. IMO probably most folks on this board daily drive their cars..so the low bypass setting in the Frams would work just fine. The way i see it , once the oil gets to temp,the Fram should filter oil just as effectively as an OEM filter.
rdieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.