Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
nshipman12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369496
Vehicle:
04 Subaru WRX
Green

Default Grinding Noise in Cylinder head

Ive search many threads and made many calls for advice on my problem, but no help so far. These are exact details of this mysterious noise in my 04 WRX.

I drove to a friends, and halfway installed a TT, since I didn't have the harness yet all I did was mount it and hooked up the grounds to the frame and the handbrake. I got in the car a few hours later and the steering wheel was jerking in unison with a belt squeek, and the starter was not disengaging(i think) from the flywheel when i crank it up. So I drove it around to check the steering and I heard a quiet grinding/ticking noise coming from the drivers side under the dash that sped up with rpms but still remained when the car was in neutral or the clutch pushed in. I drove it home.

I checked all fluids besides differential cause I dont know how, but oil(a little low, but ok), tranny and power steering are good. I checked for anything loose and it seems fine. Then I started the car, got underneath, and listened for the noise, which Im almost positive is coming from the driver side cylinder head(kinda hard to tell with the loud exhaust). I even listened to the passenger side and it sounds different than the drivers side. The car is stock besides HKS downpipe and STI uppipe

The confusing part is that the car drives fine, no loss of power, smoke out of the exhaust ect. Im not a master mechanic, but I have done a motor rebuild before and Im not a complete idiot, but completely new to Subaru's. Im stumped on what to do.

My question is if there is any other way of diagnosing the problem, what is it, and if not, how screwed am I??

thanks for the feedback
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by nshipman12; 09-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
nshipman12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369496
Vehicle:
04 Subaru WRX
Green

bump...anyone?
Closed Thread