Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
livelier daily driver.
Which mean he's going to be going faster than he is now on a consistent basis.....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
Which mean he's going to be going faster than he is now on a consistent basis.....
Which should still be within the range the brakes are specified for? Pretty sure the brakes are engineered to handle intermittent speeds up to 140mph. If you're regularly going 140mph and braking hard then sure. Otherwise you're fine with the brakes you have.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
conklin_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324190
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, MA
Vehicle:
2005 wrx STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
Which should still be within the range the brakes are specified for? Pretty sure the brakes are engineered to handle intermittent speeds up to 140mph. If you're regularly going 140mph and braking hard then sure. Otherwise you're fine with the brakes you have.
Man you are dumb. Why would they make 6 piston brakes, 4 piston brakes, etc... You obviously just learned about momentum and I inertia. You need to learn your facts about cars, physics, and engineering. Everything you have said so far is totally wrong
conklin_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
codesoccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179573
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 MBP Bugeye
Flip Flop Tuned on corn

Default

codesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #30
codesoccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179573
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 MBP Bugeye
Flip Flop Tuned on corn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklin_02 View Post
Man you are dumb. Why would they make 6 piston brakes, 4 piston brakes, etc... You obviously just learned about momentum and I inertia. You need to learn your facts about cars, physics, and engineering. Everything you have said so far is totally wrong
codesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
R6_rider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 138768
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2004 Stage 2 .:WRX:.
WRB

Default

lol im actually a motorsports engineer. im fine on brakes right now. i have a good set of pads, lines and fluid. this isnt a track car by any means. i have a track bike (05 r6) that fills my need for speed.

i was just asking about the subaru because im not 100% familiar with upgrading this platform. i figure 300~ is safeish as many people go that route. realistically im not going to use the car to even close to its full potential. if something happends i guess ill just get a new shortblock
R6_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
conklin_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324190
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, MA
Vehicle:
2005 wrx STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_rider View Post
lol im actually a motorsports engineer. im fine on brakes right now. i have a good set of pads, lines and fluid. this isnt a track car by any means. i have a track bike (05 r6) that fills my need for speed. i was just asking about the subaru because im not 100% familiar with upgrading this platform. i figure 300~ is safeish as many people go that route. realistically im not going to use the car to even close to its full potential. if something happends i guess ill just get a new shortblock
Why put money into it than? If you not going to drive the car to its potential, than why put those mods into it?
conklin_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #33
conklin_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324190
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, MA
Vehicle:
2005 wrx STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesoccer View Post
This guy believes he's smart....
conklin_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
codesoccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179573
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 MBP Bugeye
Flip Flop Tuned on corn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklin_02 View Post
This guy believes he's smart....
If the OP is only daily driving the car there's no need to upgrade brakes. If he's going 80mph in his stock car or 80mph in his 350whp car..he's going to stop in the same amount of time. If it's being built for a track then yeah you need better, bigger, more heat displacing brakes....
codesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
T_Racer69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188079
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brunswick, GA
Vehicle:
2003 Stg 2 Bug Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Default

It's all in the tune. A local tuner here that does a lot of local Subaru mechanic work as well as road tuning for years now has 250k on his vf30 IIRC. Block never opened. Smart parts choice, good tune, and diligent and proper maintenance and upkeep will work wonders.

I would just get a good checkup. Compression and leak down check. For good measure get an oil analysis. Black stone labs does it for $20. Can see if hidden problems may be lurking. After that go for it. Use good oil, change on time and fix any problems as they arise.

As far as brakes as lines, good fluid and good pads. At that power level u aren't going to tax them that much. I have stage 2 and regularly autocross with Stoptech pads. I heavy left foot brake and only on long courses with heavy runs do I get any fade. Also do the h6 rear brake upgrade. Do it cheap with brackets from any auto parts store for like 30 bucks. Cardone parts. Much better bias and feel.
T_Racer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesoccer View Post
If the OP is only daily driving the car there's no need to upgrade brakes. If he's going 80mph in his stock car or 80mph in his 350whp car..he's going to stop in the same amount of time. If it's being built for a track then yeah you need better, bigger, more heat displacing brakes....
Right, because everyone goes the speed limit always, never accelerates quickly, keeps 10 car lengths between people on the freeway, and passes people without speeding. Most people upgrade to 2x the power of the car so they can never use it. Ever. Certainly not repeatedly.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
R6_rider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 138768
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2004 Stage 2 .:WRX:.
WRB

Default

I want more power for fun. Not for drag racing or tracking. Eventually ill probibly turn it into a track car. So this is more for just fun. Even a stage 2 wrx is slow haha
R6_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #38
codesoccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179573
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2002 MBP Bugeye
Flip Flop Tuned on corn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
Right, because everyone goes the speed limit always, never accelerates quickly, keeps 10 car lengths between people on the freeway, and passes people without speeding. Most people upgrade to 2x the power of the car so they can never use it. Ever. Certainly not repeatedly.
Go back and read the thread I posted.
codesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #39
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklin_02 View Post
Man you are dumb. Why would they make 6 piston brakes, 4 piston brakes, etc... You obviously just learned about momentum and I inertia. You need to learn your facts about cars, physics, and engineering. Everything you have said so far is totally wrong
Bigger brakes are valid on bigger applications.

Since you really don't have anything to back up your argument. You are doing nothing but slinging **** trying to back up your arguments with name calling instead of stating any sort of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
Right, because everyone goes the speed limit always, never accelerates quickly, keeps 10 car lengths between people on the freeway, and passes people without speeding. Most people upgrade to 2x the power of the car so they can never use it. Ever. Certainly not repeatedly.
You keep 10 car lengths between you and another car in a stock wrx? Last I heard it was 2 seconds at highway speeds was the more than comfortable distance. Since the average driver does probably 5-10mph over the speed limit you can pass them easily doing 100mph. Which is still well within the range of the brakes ability. If you accelerate quickly and need to hit the brakes, guess what, you aren't accelerating anymore because you lifted your foot to hit the brake. Unless you heel toe at all times and are bad at it.

The guy races motorcycles. I'm confident he understands how to drive a car. He also asked abso****inglutely nothing about brakes, he asked about engines.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #40
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1998265


Read this ****ing thread. Codesoccer posted it.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #41
R6_rider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 138768
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2004 Stage 2 .:WRX:.
WRB

Default

Yall are killin me with brake convo. I dont track so heat cycling isnt an issue now. When i do track ill upgrade brakes. Till then
R6_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #42
conklin_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324190
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, MA
Vehicle:
2005 wrx STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
Bigger brakes are valid on bigger applications. Since you really don't have anything to back up your argument. You are doing nothing but slinging **** trying to back up your arguments with name calling instead of stating any sort of fact. You keep 10 car lengths between you and another car in a stock wrx? Last I heard it was 2 seconds at highway speeds was the more than comfortable distance. Since the average driver does probably 5-10mph over the speed limit you can pass them easily doing 100mph. Which is still well within the range of the brakes ability. If you accelerate quickly and need to hit the brakes, guess what, you aren't accelerating anymore because you lifted your foot to hit the brake. Unless you heel toe at all times and are bad at it. The guy races motorcycles. I'm confident he understands how to drive a car. He also asked abso****inglutely nothing about brakes, he asked about engines.
He was being sarcastic for one. Two, your still too dumb to understand what he was saying. Three, you need to stop being ignorant and posting useless information. I do not feel like explaining about brakes in this thread. It you would like me to back my facts up, I would be more than happy to educate you on brakes in a pm
conklin_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #43
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklin_02 View Post
He was being sarcastic for one. Two, your still too dumb to understand what he was saying. Three, you need to stop being ignorant and posting useless information. I do not feel like explaining about brakes in this thread. It you would like me to back my facts up, I would be more than happy to educate you on brakes in a pm
Ignorant, stupid, poopy head. Blah blah blah you don't know what the **** you're talking about. I also was being sarcastic in my response. Like the 10 car lengths thing. He was being sarcastic, I responded with sarcasm. You don't know **** about brakes. You get all of your information from guys with flat billed hats and sweet jdm body kits, and are planning to go turbo later this summer.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #44
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1998265


Read this ****ing thread. Codesoccer posted it.
Lol, I've read that thread. Your an idiot. You realize that thread is all about big brake kits right? Perhaps you should go read it again.... Also, my thoughts on that thread are posted in it, feel free to read away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_rider View Post
Yall are killin me with brake convo. I dont track so heat cycling isnt an issue now. When i do track ill upgrade brakes. Till then
I apologize for the brake convo. You have actually upgraded to the minimum I would think would be safely required for the power level, certainly on the street you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
That makes no sense at all. The brakes on the car are designed to handle the specifications of the car. He is not adding weight, at least a significant amount of weight, or larger wheels. So he is not increasing inertia. He will not have the gas pressed down while braking (I hope). He will be going staying within the speeds the car was designed for, just moving around in the area alot quicker.
This. This I have an issue with. Especially from some dip**** newbie that knows nothing, doesn't listen to experience, and ignores common sense. But he's (supposedly) an engineer! Which, apparently, means he knows all there is to know about everything based on no logic, sense, experience, or math (ok, I'm assuming he knows math). Ahhhh, good times!

Any modded car with increased hp needs brake upgrades. Period. Full stop.

I'd argue for suspension as well. Especially on any WRX/STI, since the suspension is absolute **** from the factory on both models. I'm shocked the STI is actually considered an "upgrade" over the WRX. Both soft and sloppy.

As to what level of upgrade is needed, that can be debatable to an extent. Saying some one is never going to use the power they just upgraded to in a repeated fashion is just unbelievably dumb. I can't actually believe Ihaveawagon feels it is a valid "argument". But, I should have known better after viewing his thread (dumbass), numerous posts in this page, newbie status, and general lack of all real world knowledge.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #45
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

You obviously didn't read the thread. Again, no proof or facts, just name calling and **** slinging. He accused me of being a physics major. I felt the need to defend myself. <- Thats a joke you probably wont understand. Don't worry. Need me to quote parts of the thread?


Also sorry about mucking up your thread with this. Your mod list looks good and I don't think there should be any problem with it.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #46
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Yeah, stock! But I'm just so thankful I have your approval of the mod list! Whew, I can carry on now. Here I was all worried and ****....
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #47
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
Yeah, stock! But I'm just so thankful I have your approval of the mod list! Whew, I can carry on now. Here I was all worried and ****....
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #48
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveawagon View Post
lol, I don't need to troll you. You're so stupid you troll yourself there big boi (fanboi? whatever.).

Last edited by rexblake; 09-30-2013 at 03:37 AM.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #49
Ihaveawagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366807
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
lol, I don't need to troll you. Your so stupid you troll yourself there big boi (fanboi? whatever.).
Quit cluttering this guys thread. I'm sorry you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe read the suggested threads instead of just saying you read them. Also if you're going to question someones mental ability maybe you should use the correct form of you're.
Ihaveawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #50
tomacGTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297396
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Back to the topic at hand:

OP, I just went through the same conundrum as you.

I have similar mods on the car, at right around the same mileage and I also have been to the track on a motorcycle. It changes your perspective of what fast is really quickly.

Since my wagon is also a DD, I was tired of the little TD04 just running out of puff at 5k so I wanted a bit more. I did a TD04HL-19t and the supporting mods (IWG though) and couldn't have been happier. It filled in the gaps in the powerband and gave it alot more leg up top. I lost maybe 100rpm of spool but gained a broader powerband and power to 6500. No, the turbo I chose isn't for everyone and there are better choices but I'm happy with my decision. It was a great compromise.

Regardless of the turbo, the tune was the most important key. I endt up working with Torqued Performance on an e-tune and this was the most stressful part of the installation, moreso than the injectors. I must have done 10 or so 3rd gear pulls to get the tune right (I rarely use WOT, let alone from 2k to redline) and every time was waiting for something to let go. It all held together and I'm happy the whole process is done.

The one thing in retrospect that I would have done differently was doing the tune on a dyno versus on the road: it's just much safer and more consistent. The same stresses may still happen but at least you're not going damn near 100mph on open road to do it.

Cliffs:

-Make sure your car can handle the added boost/stress
-Get a good tune
-Enjoy your new car (literally)

My.02$

-Randy
tomacGTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.