Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #4176
Shora
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317043
Join Date: Apr 2012
Vehicle:
2014 Forester

Default Build dates?

We know how to get the build dates for the car, as there is a small metal plate on the driver's side door, but how does one find out the "engine" build date?

How does one know that a subaru with an FB showing a build date of 3/13 or even 4/13 doesn't have an engine built a few months earlier?

The metal plate on the driver's side door is really only telling us when the car was assembled. Not when the components where built.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Shora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #4177
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Funny how at 5000+ miles now, my XV's oil light has still not come on. Same conditions and driving.
The level hasnt dropped any noticeable amount.
My XV build date is 3/13.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #4178
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Funny how at 5000+ miles now, my XV's oil light has still not come on. Same conditions and driving.
The level hasnt dropped any noticeable amount.
My XV build date is 3/13.
i wonder if break in has anything/everything to do with it.

i really loaded up my engine regularily for 1600 miles (lots of engine braking, a lot of brisk acceleration to 4000), and at 60miles on the car I did 2 redline pulls in 2nd/3rd gear. That is actually the only time my car has seen redline

at 31k i don't see really any major consumption, .75qt/7500 miles roughly. I have had a few times were I used a lot more than that, but it also wasn't under my "normal" driving conditions.

build date 4/12
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #4179
Chris793
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336926
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Was is ever distinguished for sure whether or not the new consumption test was 1/3qt in 1200 miles, or still 1qt per 1200?
Chris793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #4180
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

No I just dont wanna pay to download the pdf.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #4181
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

If no one finds out for sure I'll ask the dealer next time I'm there for a visit.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #4182
06_hawk_eye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350478
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
These new developments make it a lot clearer why (so far, knock on wood) my 3/13 built XV hasnt burnt any oil yet, while my 10/11 Impreza required top-offs and low oil lights.

Btw- my dads 99 toyota had a rotten frame pretty quickly too.
Then Toyota bought back the truck for 1.5 kbb. Just had one in at the dealer that had 200,000 miles on it guy brought it in and we found holes in the frame. Toyota wrote him a check for 15,000.
06_hawk_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #4183
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

FYI the current version of Subaru Drive magazine has a discussion about oil consumption.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #4184
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Yeah thats what astounded some of us. They print that article while also quietly writing up the tsb for oil consumption.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #4185
79letour
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_hawk_eye View Post
Then Toyota bought back the truck for 1.5 kbb. Just had one in at the dealer that had 200,000 miles on it guy brought it in and we found holes in the frame. Toyota wrote him a check for 15,000.
Damn thats pretty good that Toyota stood by their product. SOA would have a whole team of lawyers saying that the frame existed in North America, which is SEVERE DRIVING, and so the rust would be ones own fault.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4186
john_coctostan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369384
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eleanor, WV
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza SL
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post
Damn thats pretty good that Toyota stood by their product. SOA would have a whole team of lawyers saying that the frame existed in North America, which is SEVERE DRIVING, and so the rust would be ones own fault.
My problem with Toyota was that even though I had above normal rust on my frame, there was a threshold it had to meet to get any action. Mine was going, but they weren't touching it. It likely would have taken another 2 years to get anything going from Toyota, and even then, they were trying band-aid fixes with undercoating and poop like that.

For those that got the 1.5KBB value, they made out well. Toyota should be commended for that. It was us 'tweeners that found ourselves in a sticky spot.
john_coctostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #4187
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_coctostan View Post
My problem with Toyota was that even though I had above normal rust on my frame, there was a threshold it had to meet to get any action. Mine was going, but they weren't touching it. It likely would have taken another 2 years to get anything going from Toyota, and even then, they were trying band-aid fixes with undercoating and poop like that.

For those that got the 1.5KBB value, they made out well. Toyota should be commended for that. It was us 'tweeners that found ourselves in a sticky spot.
In Maine they where handing out money like it was candy on Halloween. One of the local dealers took back so many rusted Tacomas they ran out of parking and were driving them a few feet into the woods or parking them so close they were touching.

Buddy of mine got $18K for his Tacoma that was in terrible shape, he was super happy
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #4188
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

So it only took about 13 weeks, but my car is finally done! Just got the phone call a few minutes ago telling me to come pick her up. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it til tomorrow. I guess I can wait another day considering how long its already been...
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #4189
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
So it only took about 13 weeks, but my car is finally done! Just got the phone call a few minutes ago telling me to come pick her up. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it til tomorrow. I guess I can wait another day considering how long its already been...
Congrats. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #4190
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Just got home with my baby! Its almost like having a brand new car all over again. Didn't realize how much more I prefer my black 5MT hatch over the silver 4-door auto loaner I had until driving home.

First impressions: Everything seems A-OK! It all looks, sounds and feels good. Only time will tell if its still going to consume oil, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Going to find a level spot to park and note the oil level right now. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it for a while. I'll keep everyone posted .
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #4191
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Just got home with my baby! Its almost like having a brand new car all over again. Didn't realize how much more I prefer my black 5MT hatch over the silver 4-door auto loaner I had until driving home.

First impressions: Everything seems A-OK! It all looks, sounds and feels good. Only time will tell if its still going to consume oil, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Going to find a level spot to park and note the oil level right now. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it for a while. I'll keep everyone posted .
congrats and keep us posted. hoping this is a happy ending of a long saga for you!
nubsub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #4192
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
congrats and keep us posted. hoping this is a happy ending of a long saga for you!
Thank you, I hope so too.

The dealer wants me to bring the car back for an oil change in 3000 miles then again in another 3750 miles. I'm not sure why considering that even new Imprezas don't require their 1st oil change until 7500 miles. Seeing as they plan to charge me for these oil changes, I'll probably just do them myself.
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #4193
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Probably oil consumption test (without saying it as such).

Did they (or, SOA to be exact) at least offer to cover some of your monthly payments?
lymphomaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #4194
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

So I just finished checking the oil level and it's probably close to a quart over filled. I don't know what's so hard about measuring out 5.3 quarts. I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, but I hope they didn't do it on purpose so as to try and hide any potential additional consumption.
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #4195
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post
Probably oil consumption test (without saying it as such).
Good point. I didn't even consider that.

Quote:
Did they (or, SOA to be exact) at least offer to cover some of your monthly payments?
I'm not at liberty to openly discuss the details of any goodwill offer SOA may have extended me, but I'll just say that they are treating me well.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 10-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #4196
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
So I just finished checking the oil level and it's probably close to a quart over filled. I don't know what's so hard about measuring out 5.3 quarts. I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, but I hope they didn't do it on purpose so as to try and hide any potential additional consumption.
New level is 5.1qts :/
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #4197
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
I'm not at liberty to openly discuss the details of any goodwill offer SOA may have extended me, but I'll just say that they have treated me well.
Good to hear that they're at least taking good care of you.
lymphomaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #4198
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
New level is 5.1qts :/
That's right, I do remember reading that here on NASIOC. Does that include the '12 as well, or just the '13/'14 +?
jr0bb5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #4199
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post

That's right, I do remember reading that here on NASIOC. Does that include the '12 as well, or just the '13/'14 +?
The tsb states all 12+
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #4200
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
The tsb states all 12+
Yeah. I'm trying to decide if I'll continue filling w/ 5.3 qts. That's what I've been doing for all of my changes, which has worked well for me.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any DIY independent fog lights write ups yet for 2012 impreza sports? JDMSTA Electrical & Lighting 59 07-21-2013 08:04 AM
2012 Impreza 2.0i Mobil1 oil filter model # jr0bb5 Service & Maintenance 27 01-04-2013 05:18 PM
('11+) OC interval and the first oil change on 2012 Impreza 2.0 Oceanguy Impreza Forum 80 11-18-2012 12:56 PM
My Oil Light is Flickering and I have No Leak??? kakarotoni Newbies & FAQs 39 08-16-2012 10:36 AM
('11+) 2012 Impreza High beams = Low beams lighting Jmzda Impreza Forum 28 06-01-2012 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.