Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
LoveMyNewSoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323213
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sti hatch
Spark Silver

Default Armor All Wheel Protectant - a review of sorts

So, I have been having some serious issues with brake dust. I know that this is a problem that will not go away, but I wanted to see if there were options to lesson the amount I see a day after I wash my car and had spend about an hour working through all the nooks and crannies of the stock BBS wheels. After looking around I saw some videos on Armor All Wheel Protectant so I thought I would give it a shot to see how it really worked (not a fan at all of any other Armor All product). I tried to get pictures of the wheels at about the same time every night and took them about every 3 days. It has now been almost 3 weeks since I sprayed this stuff on and I am very impressed. I sprayed only half of the front left wheel and then spayed the complete wheel for the other 3. This way I felt I could get a pretty good idea of what this stuff was doing. Another side note is I am currently running Hawk HP+ track pads (which are VERY dusty (and getting quite squeaky)). I had a track day in July and was planning on doing another this month so I just left them on. I know lazy...but whatever.
Anyways, check out the pics below and see for yourself. All in all, I would say it is a pretty good product. I know there are probably places where I missed spraying, but my rims would be toast after about a week without this stuff.
Enjoy.

First Pic after washing the car - front left Sept 2



Front Left Sept 5



Front Left Sept 11



Passenger Side Sept 11 (entire wheels sprayed)



Driver Side Sept 11 (remember only half of front is sprayed all of rear is)



Front Left Sept 14 (I believe from about 8-2 o'clock was sprayed)



Front Left Sept 17th



Passenger Side Sept 17th



Front Left Sept 22nd



Passenger Side Sept 22nd

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
LoveMyNewSoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Billboard2001
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210085
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Vehicle:
2005 wrx sti
WRBlue

Default

That's a great product review of sorts It's nice being able to watch the time lapse of it. By the end you can actually see a fairly clear difference between the armor all'd and none coated side. Great idea!
Billboard2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
vms150
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 172917
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southeastern, Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WRB

Default

I've used it before on pervious vehicles. IMO it sucks and is totally not work the money or effort to apply.
vms150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
LoveMyNewSoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323213
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sti hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vms150 View Post
I've used it before on pervious vehicles. IMO it sucks and is totally not work the money or effort to apply.

I did read that some people were not happy with it. what were your main issues?
It comes in a spray can so, it was about as easy as spraying the tire shine on.
It is obviously not 100%, but to be able to add a couple weeks to my wheel detailing schedule is enough for me. I am assuming I could do even longer with regular street pads on!
LoveMyNewSoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Cblock06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369538
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default

Looks great my wheels are always dirty 2-3 days after I wash them...the roads are terrible out here...gonna have to try this

Thanks for the time lapse!
Cblock06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
da King
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369597
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default

I've never liked Amoral products, they make everything look un-natural - too slick, the shine is way over the top and IMO doesn't look right, it also has a slippery feel that I don't like, there's way better stuff out there.
After I wash my car(s) before I put anything on , I take the leaf blower and get the water off the car, behind the mirror's, tail lights etc.. works great for getting your wheels and tires ready for what ever your going to use.
Finn
da King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
LoveMyNewSoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323213
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sti hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by da King View Post
I've never liked Amoral products, they make everything look un-natural - too slick, the shine is way over the top and IMO doesn't look right, it also has a slippery feel that I don't like, there's way better stuff out there.
After I wash my car(s) before I put anything on , I take the leaf blower and get the water off the car, behind the mirror's, tail lights etc.. works great for getting your wheels and tires ready for what ever your going to use.
Finn

I am not a fan of anything Armor All either, but had read enough positives on this product to try it. Seemed to work ok for the price.
Leaf blower...good idea! I always have to take about 7 laps around the car after washing to clean up all those dripping spots that you mention - too bad I don't have a leaf blower
LoveMyNewSoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
fistv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350063
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Effort Pa
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza sport
White

Default

I used AA on and off for a few years, IMO, not worth it, used it regularly on my Jeeps Perelli Scorpion AT's, those tires started cracking on the sidewalls after about a year and a half in on both faces inside and outside. Have a friend who used it on his tires and interior, when he passed the car down to his wife she did not continue this and the tires also started cracking, he ran his jeep with BFG AT/KO's. The consensus from others who used it seem to be that the AA leaches out and replaces the natural oils that are in it and once you stop using it the AA fades really quick, don't really know but I stopped wasting money on it. I do know it was pretty useless on the black jeeps wheel flares once they started fading, they would bring it back for a week or two and then be back to the white/grey color.
fistv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
rexworx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 103232
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: EWG3071KelfordCams276/272
Vehicle:
MY05 GDA,MY04FXT6spd
2.5ltr,PPG,Front LSD,4.44

Default

Nice!
rexworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Notch 8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355254
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by da King View Post
I've never liked Amoral products, they make everything look un-natural - too slick, the shine is way over the top and IMO doesn't look right, it also has a slippery feel that I don't like, there's way better stuff out there.
After I wash my car(s) before I put anything on , I take the leaf blower and get the water off the car, behind the mirror's, tail lights etc.. works great for getting your wheels and tires ready for what ever your going to use.
Finn
If you're going to come into a thread and make negative remarks, at least give the OP the common courtesy of actually READING what it's about...because this isn't about tire shine...
Notch 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

To address some of the remarks about Armor All dressing (which this thread isn't about but I thought was worth mentioning anyway).....

Folks need to keep in mind that AA makes a lot of different products these days (not just the one dressing we remember back in the day). A couple of their tire dressings may be petroleum based but I believe most of them (including their interior products) are all water based now. A general rule of thumb (while not always true) is that water based dressings will usually be opaque or milky white while solvent based will be clear (although perhaps colored).

The original Armor All formula for their dressing contained dimethal silicone fluids (DMS; solvent based). By around the late 80's they changed that product to a water based formula containing polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). Many dressings/protectants these days use the same PDMS component.

The bad reputation AA received back in the 80's has stuck with them even today with some folks. The solvents (DMS - dimethal silicone fluids) in their product were blamed for accelerating the release of plasticizers from vinyl and rubber components causing those surfaces to "dry out". IIRC, there was even a lawsuit which likely prompted them to change the formula.

In either case, the AA formulations since the late 80's/early 90's is now water based like many other dressings/protectants today. It contains the same PDMS component that popular products like 303 AP use. ....which is generally safe for vinyl, rubber and plastics.

I have heard individuals over the years and even manufactures still making claims about Armor All ruining these surfaces but I believe it is based on their old reputation rather than any current testing/analysis or fact.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
LoveMyNewSoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323213
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sti hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Well, since everyone seems obsessed over the tire shine and not the product reviewed (Armor All WHEEL Protectant), I thought I would mention that the tire shine I used was Meguires Hot Shine spray. I prefer their Gold Class Endurance Gel, but that was all I had that day.
LoveMyNewSoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
fistv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350063
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Effort Pa
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza sport
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
To address some of the remarks about Armor All dressing (which this thread isn't about but I thought was worth mentioning anyway).....

Folks need to keep in mind that AA makes a lot of different products these days (not just the one dressing we remember back in the day). A couple of their tire dressings may be petroleum based but I believe most of them (including their interior products) are all water based now. A general rule of thumb (while not always true) is that water based dressings will usually be opaque or milky white while solvent based will be clear (although perhaps colored).

The original Armor All formula for their dressing contained dimethal silicone fluids (DMS; solvent based). By around the late 80's they changed that product to a water based formula containing polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). Many dressings/protectants these days use the same PDMS component.

The bad reputation AA received back in the 80's has stuck with them even today with some folks. The solvents (DMS - dimethal silicone fluids) in their product were blamed for accelerating the release of plasticizers from vinyl and rubber components causing those surfaces to "dry out". IIRC, there was even a lawsuit which likely prompted them to change the formula.

In either case, the AA formulations since the late 80's/early 90's is now water based like many other dressings/protectants today. It contains the same PDMS component that popular products like 303 AP use. ....which is generally safe for vinyl, rubber and plastics.

I have heard individuals over the years and even manufactures still making claims about Armor All ruining these surfaces but I believe it is based on their old reputation rather than any current testing/analysis or fact.
Maybe, but my experiences were on my 97-99 jeeps an all I ever remember seeing AA is as a white liquid spray. It has it's place I guess but from my experience tires are not one of them.
fistv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistv View Post

Maybe, but my experiences were on my 97-99 jeeps an all I ever remember seeing AA is as a white liquid spray. It has it's place I guess but from my experience tires are not one of them.
By the late 90s, AA had already changed its formulation of their standard dressing to one that was water based (the milky white we are all used to). While I used the original DMS formulation back in the 80s, I don't recall what color it was.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Grippen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329712
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 Sti
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
By the late 90s, AA had already changed its formulation of their standard dressing to one that was water based (the milky white we are all used to). While I used the original DMS formulation back in the 80s, I don't recall what color it was.
Inwould advise anyone not to use alot of the tire shine as it has silicone in it which will dry out your tires.
Grippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
rubrduk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 126587
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: sunlandia
Vehicle:
06 wagback...now
with more child seat!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippen View Post
Inwould advise anyone not to use alot of the tire shine as it has silicone in it which will dry out your tires.

same argument as above,...you people probably all think your cellphone and wifi give you cancer too



Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone:
a) Water - based silicone dressings, usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS)that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; solvent-based silicone is not biodegradable.
rubrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
LoveMyNewSoob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323213
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sti hatch
Spark Silver

Default

OK EVERYONE!

Let's get back to what this thread is about...the WHEEL PROTECTANT.
Start another thread if you want to discuss Armor All and the effects on plastics and rubber.
LoveMyNewSoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.