Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #76
evilspoons
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321311
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

I know I'm digging this one back up from the dead a bit (10 days idle) but here's what I remember of the stock Canadian Pioneer steering wheel controls:

EDIT: see my next post, proper information was actually obtained

I will have to go down to the car sometime soon and confirm these functions for you, as I'm curious if I actually do have a folder skip function I've just been missing for over a year.

(The car is currently parked with a cover on it due to my driver's license being suspended for medical reasons... yay medication changes.)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by evilspoons; 10-25-2013 at 05:37 PM.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #77
KManZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220694
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 STi
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchell1309 View Post
There is a known issue with iOS7 bluetooth and most stock and aftermarket car radios....

The 2 main differences from the Pioneer and the Forester are:
1. It does take slightly longer to power on and connect to BT. Once it is connected you can hit play on your phone or the HU and it will play. You should NOT have to switch inputs or do anything more than that.

2. When iOS is working correctly, it does not autoplay like the Forester unit. You have to consciensly choose to play music from BT source. I like this feature, as I was never a fan of the BT autoplay on the Forester unit.
So there was a recent iOS7 update... here's hoping the issue has been corrected!

I found that it's hit or miss on BT connectivity when starting the car. Sometimes (85%) it will connect right up after about a minute, but the other times it'll say the phone connected, but no music can be played. I just switch it to another input, and then switch it back to BT Audio, and the music will play normally. Stupid thing to have to fight with, but whatever. It's about as annoying as the Autoplay you had with the Stock/Forester units (thankfully that was eliminated with the new HU!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchell1309 View Post
You do NOT need the Pioneer cable to play music on the HU. The only thing the Pioneer brand cable will get your over a regular cable is Smart App mode. The problem you have is you are most likely using a 3 pole audio connector. This is a known problem, and is in the AUX cable and not in the HU itself.

The OEM AUX input is a common 3 pole connector where the Pioneer AUX input is a 4 pole connector. Google image search and you will see the physical difference between the heads. The main function difference is the Pioneer unit uses this 4th input to actually push the music from the iPod, strangely it does NOT use the dock connector to push music or video, it only uses that to charge.
So, I went out and took things apart and figured out what's what. Using an iPod, I figured out:

- With the Pioneer cable connected to the stock USB and AUX cables (via SVXdc's adapters): the AUX port in the center console plays music, but the USB cable does not even see the iPod, nor does the USB port charge it. HOWEVER, when you insert a USB thumb drive, the Pioneer can see and play the music/files just fine.

- With the Pioneer cable directly connected to a USB cable and AUX cable: AUX cable plays music. With USB, the Pioneer can see the iPod, browse the folders, and charge it, but NO SOUND is played. USB thumb drive is accessible too.

So, just to make sure, we shouldn't be able to access an iPod over the USB cable, right? That makes the center console option a non-starter, as I don't want to play an iPod over AUX and charge it via USB. Looks like we need to order that special cable in order to control an iPod through the HU.
KManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #78
evilspoons
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321311
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

So I went down to the car and figured out what all the buttons do with the Subaru of Canada OEM PAC SWC module:

Mode button: cycles through functions. With my current configuration, the order is SD->BT->AV1->Sirius->FM->AM->Disc->back to SD

+/- : always control the volume

up arrow/down arrow:

Playing M4A files from an SD card: press up, next track. Press down, restart track or previous track.
Hold up/ hold down: nothing happens at all

Playing MP3 and M4A files from a disc (in this case, a burned DVD): up/down: next/prev track
Hold up/hold down: skips to next folder/previous folder (I didn't know it did this, and I don't know why it does this on disc but not on SD cards...)

Playing an audio CD: up/down press: next/prev track
Hold up/hold down: nothing (doesn't scan through the song like many other CD players)

AM/FM/Sirius: up/down press: tune up one step/tune down one step (AM this is 10 KHz, FM this is 0.2 MHz, Sirius it is the next available channel)
hold up/hold down: scans REALLY REALLY FAST through the presets that are displayed on the right column of the screen

Bluetooth connected to a Nexus 4 with Android 4.3, running Rdio for music: up/down press: next/previous track
Hold up/hold down: no function.

Phew!

Hope that helps someone out.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #79
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Nevermind

Last edited by phenryiv1; 11-20-2013 at 01:19 PM.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #80
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

For anyone who wants to replicate this install and use the SWI-PSUBFSTI adapter discussed in this thread, I have one for sale. Works with the AVIC units as described in this thread.

I imported from Canada it at a total cost of $130 and a 5-week wait. I used it for 16 hours.

Will sell for what I have in it, no wait.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote