Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1126
tersplat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 337888
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Groton, CT
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
World Rally Blue

Default

wagon MY: 03
rim size: 18x9.5
rim offset: 38
rim brand & model: Rota Grid
tire brand & model: Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position
tire size: "245/40/18"
tread (actual patch) width: ?
camber adjustments: front -1.7, rear -1.5
suspension: Tein flex coilovers
lowered?: ~ 25mm
fender rolling?: yes- rolled and pulled in the read, sedan conversion in the front
rubbing w/o load?: No
rubbing w/ load?: No
(handling /gearing- gearing is around oe with version 7 cluster, handling is wonderful- very sticky street tire, very stiff sidewalls
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tersplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #1127
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Man this thread has been quiet for a while, well I was wondering if I would run into any issues with a certain setup and if I can run a certain tire size also

2002 wrx wagon
Rim size: 18x8.5
Rim offset: +44
Rim brand and model: rota grid
For suspension I will be running rce wagon springs and for struts I will have tokico dspecs.
I want to run 235-40-18 size tires and I was also wondering if I could run 245s also for more meat and traction. I will have my fenders rolled and also have sedan front fenders. Anyone know if there is a possibility of running 245s?
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #1128
needasubie10
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234907
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: lexington,VA
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
mbp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebeastin View Post
Man this thread has been quiet for a while, well I was wondering if I would run into any issues with a certain setup and if I can run a certain tire size also

2002 wrx wagon
Rim size: 18x8.5
Rim offset: +44
Rim brand and model: rota grid
For suspension I will be running rce wagon springs and for struts I will have tokico dspecs.
I want to run 235-40-18 size tires and I was also wondering if I could run 245s also for more meat and traction. I will have my fenders rolled and also have sedan front fenders. Anyone know if there is a possibility of running 245s?
It has been quiet, I'm running the same size wheel and close to rhe same offset on a 225/40. Also running dspecs and prodrive blues. I have definate rub in the rear on hard cornering and if there is someone in the back. I'm not rolled, so I can assume I would help. But I won't be rolling anytime soon as just yesterday I picked up the last peices to my sedan body conversion.
needasubie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #1129
mmiller2002
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 159286
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon,Com-C
RCE wgn sprngs/Konis/H6

Default

I have a 2002 wagon on RCE wagon springs. 17x7.5 ET48 wheels with 225/45-17 tires.
I had no rubbing, but I rolled the rear fenders just to play it safe.
My guess is that you may rub with that sizing. Or, it will be veeery close.




mmiller2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #1130
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needasubie10 View Post
It has been quiet, I'm running the same size wheel and close to rhe same offset on a 225/40. Also running dspecs and prodrive blues. I have definate rub in the rear on hard cornering and if there is someone in the back. I'm not rolled, so I can assume I would help. But I won't be rolling anytime soon as just yesterday I picked up the last peices to my sedan body conversion.

Are you converting just the front fenders or the rears quarter panels also? Yea fender rolling would definitely help. I want to run 235s at least and 245s at most for the extra meat and grip. I will be autoxing and tracking it a few times a month. I have plans to convert the rear quarter panels to sedan later on, but for now I'm just doing a roll and possibly a slight pull in the rears if I need to to for those tires and wheels
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #1131
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
I have a 2002 wagon on RCE wagon springs. 17x7.5 ET48 wheels with 225/45-17 tires.
I had no rubbing, but I rolled the rear fenders just to play it safe.
My guess is that you may rub with that sizing. Or, it will be veeery close.




Yea I'll be rolling the rears and maybe a slight pull if need be to fit 235s or 245s, I like those for the extra grip and meat, plus I love the 18" on these wagons. Props on the wagon, paint those side skirts and your golden bro
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #1132
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebeastin View Post
Man this thread has been quiet for a while, well I was wondering if I would run into any issues with a certain setup and if I can run a certain tire size also

2002 wrx wagon
Rim size: 18x8.5
Rim offset: +44
Rim brand and model: rota grid
For suspension I will be running rce wagon springs and for struts I will have tokico dspecs.
I want to run 235-40-18 size tires and I was also wondering if I could run 245s also for more meat and traction. I will have my fenders rolled and also have sedan front fenders. Anyone know if there is a possibility of running 245s?
Can anyone else help with this?
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1133
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebeastin View Post

Can anyone else help with this?
Most likely doable with some added camber, what choice for a tire will make a difference. I'm running a fat 235 (rsr) on 18x8 + 48. Rubbing inner fender well (loaded) with stock camber lowered on blacks. You may need to massage the inner fender with a hammer. A lift spacer would probably help as they aren't wagon spec.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #1134
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV2889 View Post
Most likely doable with some added camber, what choice for a tire will make a difference. I'm running a fat 235 (rsr) on 18x8 + 48. Rubbing inner fender well (loaded) with stock camber lowered on blacks. You may need to massage the inner fender with a hammer. A lift spacer would probably help as they aren't wagon spec.
How much camber are we talking about? I don't want to go too far since I will also be daily driving it. I was thinking about running Falken azenis if they are any good for performance, still fairly new to this stuff. Yea I'll be getting the wagon spec ones just to stay wagon specific. So your saying that 235 would be the widest without big fender modifications?
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #1135
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Anyone that can inform?
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #1136
wrxsomeday
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141991
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
08 STi AW
12 Legacy 3.6R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebeastin View Post
Anyone that can inform?
FYI, your rim diameter doesn't matter if is a 17 or 18. What matters is the width, offset, and tire size. I'm sure there is another person in this thread with the same setup, you will just need to search.

Tire width by tire brand also varies greatly. Both Federal 595 RSR's and Dunlap Star Specs run wide for their size. For reference, on my last wagon, I ran a 225 star spec on an 8" wide wheel that were +48 and I rubbed in the rear (about -1 or -1.5 degrees of camber). I rolled the rear fenders (didn't pull) and had plenty of clearance.

With your setup, I'm guessing that you will be fine with a rear fender roll and maybe a slight pull. Otherwise adding camber will help (maybe - 2 degrees?) but depending on your application (assuming its not hella flush), I wouldn't want to exceed -2.0 degrees of camber.
wrxsomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #1137
Sebeastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348599
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx wagon
Psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsomeday View Post
FYI, your rim diameter doesn't matter if is a 17 or 18. What matters is the width, offset, and tire size. I'm sure there is another person in this thread with the same setup, you will just need to search.

Tire width by tire brand also varies greatly. Both Federal 595 RSR's and Dunlap Star Specs run wide for their size. For reference, on my last wagon, I ran a 225 star spec on an 8" wide wheel that were +48 and I rubbed in the rear (about -1 or -1.5 degrees of camber). I rolled the rear fenders (didn't pull) and had plenty of clearance.

With your setup, I'm guessing that you will be fine with a rear fender roll and maybe a slight pull. Otherwise adding camber will help (maybe - 2 degrees?) but depending on your application (assuming its not hella flush), I wouldn't want to exceed -2.0 degrees of camber.
Thanks man, your input is greatly appreciated, yea I'm only dropping about an inch both front and back on racecomp engineering wagon springs so I want be "hella flush". I want it to be functional.
Sebeastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1138
wrxsomeday
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141991
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
08 STi AW
12 Legacy 3.6R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebeastin View Post
Thanks man, your input is greatly appreciated, yea I'm only dropping about an inch both front and back on racecomp engineering wagon springs so I want be "hella flush". I want it to be functional.
Ah yes that rights, I forgot to mention that my old wagon was on RCE yellow springs (and I think I kept my 3/8" spacer on the rear). The RCE wagon springs are a bit higher in the rear than the yellows without a spacer, so I would think you would be at my same ride height or perhaps a hair higher.

Post pics when you're done!
wrxsomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #1139
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Southeast Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Red

Default

Wagon MY: 2005 Saabaru

Rim Size: 17x8.25"

Rim Offset: +35

Rim Brand & Model: XXR 530

Tire Brand & Model: BFGoodrich G-Force KDW NT

Tire Size: 235/40R-17

Tire (Actual Patch) Width: ~8"

Camber Adjustment: Stock 0 Front, 1.5 Rear

Suspension: Stock Struts, Epic Engineering Lowering Springs, 1/2" Subtle Solutions Aluminum Spacer in rear

Lowered?: ~.7" Front, 1.3" Rear (Not including spacers)

Fender Rolling: Yes, rear fenders rolled and very slightly pulled. Nothing to fronts.

Fender Rubbing w/o Load: Nope

Fender Rubbinh w/ Load: Nope

Handling/Gearing: Stock Everything Else

Notes: Front tires stick out of fenders about a 1/2" but doesn't touch fender. Want to get coils and higher offset 8.5" wide wheels to fit 245/35 tires.
Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #1140
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaru300 View Post
Wagon MY: 2005 Saabaru Rim Size: 17x8.25" Rim Offset: +35 Rim Brand & Model: XXR 530 Tire Brand & Model: BFGoodrich G-Force KDW NT Tire Size: 235/40R-17 Tire (Actual Patch) Width: ~8" Camber Adjustment: Stock 0 Front, 1.5 Rear Suspension: Stock Struts, Epic Engineering Lowering Springs, 1/2" Subtle Solutions Aluminum Spacer in rear Lowered?: ~.7" Front, 1.3" Rear (Not including spacers) Fender Rolling: Yes, rear fenders rolled and very slightly pulled. Nothing to fronts. Fender Rubbing w/o Load: Nope Fender Rubbinh w/ Load: Nope Handling/Gearing: Stock Everything Else Notes: Front tires stick out of fenders about a 1/2" but doesn't touch fender. Want to get coils and higher offset 8.5" wide wheels to fit 245/35 tires.
0* camber is flat dangerous.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #1141
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Southeast Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

0* camber is flat dangerous.
Isn't that subaru's spec on the front wheels. What is so dangerous about it?
Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #1142
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaru300 View Post
Isn't that subaru's spec on the front wheels. What is so dangerous about it?
no manufacturer would ever set factory alignment to 0 camber.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #1143
shimmies
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248524
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose
Vehicle:
02 Wrx Wagon
Silver

Default

The stock Subaru alignment specs does include 0 in the range. Not optimal but it is what's on the sheet
shimmies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #1144
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Southeast Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Red

Default

What is bad about 0 camber in the front? I had this alignment done at a standard mechanics place after I had installed the lowering springs.
Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #1145
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaru300 View Post
What is bad about 0 camber in the front?
do some reading on how camber works.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #1146
cowboy_Rob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194062
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Camp Hill PA
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

no manufacturer would ever set factory alignment to 0 camber.
Plenty of cars aim for 0* camber. But keep in mind that's on stock suspension where it compresses a lot more on turns. As it compresses negative camber increases. So you get camber when turning which helps cornering but no camber when going straight which helps tire wear
cowboy_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #1147
pescatom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215425
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen County NJ
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2010 FXT OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
do some reading on how camber works.
Scoob: From what I've learned, Factory sets front camber near zero and rear more negative to induce plowing/pushing (not spinout) in emergency situations. In the turn the outside tire will lose grip and go straight instead of turn. As you're probably talking about performance applications, you do dial in more negative in front to get optimal grip on the outside tire in a turn, so that it goes where you want it to, and not plow straight. Do you agree with me? If not can you further explain how zero camber in front is dangerous? And why most factory cars appear to be close to, or at, zero camber setting? http://www.miata.net/garage/align.html

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/handling101.html

Thanks Mike
pescatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #1148
bdj238
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207561
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRB WRX WAGON
PPG Trans

Default

Just ordered new tires. Ordered a set of 235/45/17 to get a little bigger sidewall but the guys over at tirerack called and talked me down to a 225/45/17. I really like my 235/40/17 tires but the tire selection just isn't there.

wagon: 2005
rim size: 17"x8"
rim offset: 45??
rim brand & model: Enkie RPF1
tire brand & model: BFG G-Force Sport Comp2
tire size: 225/45/r17
camber adjustments: will update when installed.
suspension: D-Specs, STI springs, Whiteline Camber Plates upfront, Group-N in the Rear, Sedan LCAs.
lowered?: Slightly... STI Springs
fender rolling?: Yes
rubbing w/o load?: No.
rubbing w/ load?: No.

Reason for posting this info here is b/c the BFG tires run very large. While talking to the TireRack Folks (Blake) we looked at the tread measurments and the patch is 3/4" different from the 235. This is the main reason I was ok with going to a 225. The standard difference is 10mm. The overal height of the 225/45 was 25.2" which is the "set max height" vs the 235/45 at 25.4" which would likely hit the spring perch.



Previous Set-up:

wagon: 2005
rim size: 17"x8"
rim offset: 45??
rim brand & model: Enkie RPF1
tire brand & model: BFG KDW2
tire size: 235/40/r17
camber adjustments: will update when installed.
suspension: D-Specs, STI springs, Whiteline Camber Plates upfront, Group-N in the Rear, Sedan LCAs.
lowered?: Slightly... STI Springs
fender rolling?: Yes
rubbing w/o load?: No.
rubbing w/ load?: No.
bdj238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #1149
socalbugeye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 356276
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laguna Beach, Ca
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersplat View Post
wagon MY: 03
rim size: 18x9.5
rim offset: 38
rim brand & model: Rota Grid
tire brand & model: Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position
tire size: "245/40/18"
tread (actual patch) width: ?
camber adjustments: front -1.7, rear -1.5
suspension: Tein flex coilovers
lowered?: ~ 25mm
fender rolling?: yes- rolled and pulled in the read, sedan conversion in the front
rubbing w/o load?: No
rubbing w/ load?: No
(handling /gearing- gearing is around oe with version 7 cluster, handling is wonderful- very sticky street tire, very stiff sidewalls

Really, really similar to what I'm looking at. I'm looking at 18x9.5, 245/40/18 as well, but +40 offset. I'm wondering if this will fit on my wagon with the issue being I'm on stock suspension. I can roll/pull my fenders, but I, unlike you, do not have the sedan conversion in the front, and am not on coilovers. I'm sorry if this is a n00b question, I searched the thread and forum and couldn't find anything specific enough to what I'm looking at. Is there any way this will fit without rubbing?
socalbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #1150
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbugeye View Post
Really, really similar to what I'm looking at. I'm looking at 18x9.5, 245/40/18 as well, but +40 offset. I'm wondering if this will fit on my wagon with the issue being I'm on stock suspension. I can roll/pull my fenders, but I, unlike you, do not have the sedan conversion in the front, and am not on coilovers. I'm sorry if this is a n00b question, I searched the thread and forum and couldn't find anything specific enough to what I'm looking at. Is there any way this will fit without rubbing?
You need coilovers for that fitment.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
245 or wider tires on the rear? (WRX) j y Brakes, Steering & Suspension 8 07-05-2011 03:32 PM
245/40r17 or 235/45r17 on 17x8? toebotypera Tire & Wheel 7 06-08-2007 01:14 PM
245/50/16 or 245/45/16 tires on 16*7 rims?? coolray Tire & Wheel 0 09-28-2005 02:17 PM
Prodrive PFF7 and 235 tire on a wagon?? Alan l. Tire & Wheel 5 07-09-2005 01:36 AM
245 or 235s for my 18x8.5s tifosi77 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 3 12-02-2002 01:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.