Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
hossak8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20503
Vehicle:
'98 2.5RS
'05 WRX

Default What do I have here?

What do I have here?

Just received a used motor that came from Japan. '98 DOHC ej25. On the valve covers are raised letters that say "2.5 DOHC", or something to that effect. Compared to my original motor the intake manifold is totally different, being higher and among other diff's has the coil facing the firewall. The cams appear to have more lift, are wider all around, and look to be hydraulic as there are no shims between the cam and tappet The inner gaskets under the valve cover are shaped differently, and apparently the part #'s from the gaskets indicate that it is a Canadian motor. Obviously I'll only be using the long block from this motor and swapping all of my parts to the new engine, but I would be interested in finding out what exactly I've got. Were motors from Canada different headwise? Anybody interested in the takeoff parts from this motor?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hossak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I'd like to see this intake manifold. What are your plans for the motor?

Send me some pics please. dodgin-cones@sbcglobal.net

Jay Storm
www.sourcemotorsports.com
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
hossak8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'98 2.5RS
'05 WRX

Sorry, but I have no access to a digicam, or scanner. The motor is going into my '98 RS. I'll get part and serial #'s and try to get some info. The vertical rise on the manifold is at least 3-4" higher than the one on my stock motor. The rep at Japan Direct told my tech that the long block was all that would directly swap to my car due to sensor compatability and such. I didn't measure the cam dimensions, but the ones on the new heads have visibly beefier lobes in width and more lift. As mentioned the gaskets inside the valve cover have part #'s that indicate it was a Canadian version. All information is welcome.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
hossak8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'98 2.5RS
'05 WRX

OK. Engine is in the RS, and running really well. Also did the Sti motor and trans mounts (DO THIS MOD!), so the car feels and sounds entirely different. This engine did come from Japan, but it's still unknown exactly what vehicle it was in prior. There is no EGR port on the motor, so the EGR port on my original intake manifold is plugged....hopefully the ECU won't notice. The new block takes up a little more space in the engine compartment, which is kind of a mystery to me; could this be a different block than was used in my USD ej25? The engine does seem to be stronger than my original, and is definetly quieter with the hydraulic lifters. Any discussion as to what the story is with what version engine this might be is welcome.