Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
BenMc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350419
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

Default Need some DCCD info when ABS is not working

Hey guys, my ABS light came on today in my '04 STI with no warning and obviously now my DCCD is not controllable. I have searched and have found many different things. Mainly people have said that the DCCD reverts to full lock without ABS, however some have said that it goes to full open, and some have said that it stays where it was (AUTO in this case).

Anyways I believe it goes to full lock, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that for me. If so then I believe I have a problem. This is bad timing for me because I am about to drive from NC to NY, stay there a week or so and then drive back. I was wondering if doing all of that in full lock would damage the drivetrain at all (maybe the clutches in the center diff)? Is it true that if I pull the handbrake up so the light comes on but the parking brake doesn't engage, the DCCD will go to full open? And if so would that be a good idea for the long trip from here to NY or when driving on dry roads? Obviously the best idea would be to get it fixed but I don't have the time to do it or get it done before I leave.

Sorry for the wall of text and hopefully you guys can help me out! I definitely searched but there are threads that say the complete opposite if other threads. Also it is a 2004 so I pulled the ABS codes using the connector under the dash and I believe (a little hard to follow the blinking lights) I got 44 – A combination of AT control abnormal, 21 – front right ABS sensor, 56 – Abnormal G sensor output voltage. So if anyone wants to offer their input on what the ABS problem might be that would be great! However I can live without ABS, I just don't want to damage the drivetrain. Thanks so much!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by BenMc; 12-20-2013 at 10:34 PM.
BenMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
04 WRX
Flappy bird edition

if it was in full lock you could just disconnect the dccd and it would be in open..
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
BenMc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

^ Hmm interesting, if that is true then I would assume that right now with the ABS not working the DCCD would also be in open, correct? There is a lot of conflicting information on that subject it seems.

Also I should say that my DCCD green light is not blinking like most people have when it goes into fail safe mode. The only light is the red DCCD. The auto and other positions do not light up.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
04 WRX
Flappy bird edition

if it was in full lock you would know it, you can feel the binding in the steering wheel while making turns.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
point78
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344329
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx, 6mt

Dccd's default to open.
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Step 1: check fuse.

Seems goofy for many things to go. For the age of the car, my first check would be electrical.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
BenMc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

Alright thanks guys, so am I correct in that there is no downfall to driving in open other than the fact that it won't be great in the snow and may be more prone to oversteer?

And yes I checked all the fuses, everything reads 12 volts with a multimeter and I swapped the ABS relay with another one and the problem still exists unfortunately Although you may be correct, I'm trying to dig up an ABS schematic and see if maybe there is an open somewhere and it's just not getting power. Maybe I should figure out how many volts I should be getting at the abs module in the engine compartment?

Thanks for the replies guys keep them coming!
Old 12-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
booneiam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374720
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 JDM RA v4 sti
Red

Is your hand break light on too? Have you checked the brake fluid level? Maybe something with the amount of fluid is making the abs act up? Just a long shot but worth a look
booneiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
BenMc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

Nope the handbrake light is not on. And brake fluid is good.

I cleaned the right front abs sensor today because that was one of my codes and that cleared code 21 and code 56. Now I just have 44-A combination of AT control abnormal. I guess this is becoming more of a brake thread than a transmission thread now. But if anyone has had any experience with this code 44 I would love some help
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
GTR Fever
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378021

I would lke some help with the same code....code 44 in a 2003 WRX

Hope it's an easy fix
GTR Fever is offline   Reply With Quote