Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #226
kevjam79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 75331
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

How many miles on the flywheel?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kevjam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #227
Wlkonh2o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275011
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
Urban Grey

Same as the clutch, approx 8k. Its an ACT streetlight
Wlkonh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #228
kevjam79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 75331
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

I would check for hot spots and mic the entire flywheel for change in thickness. If all looks good and measures out, I would give a very light, even buff with 1000 or 2000 grit SP and wipe clean with brake cleaner.
kevjam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #229
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjam79 View Post
I would check for hot spots and mic the entire flywheel for change in thickness. If all looks good and measures out, I would give a very light, even buff with 1000 or 2000 grit SP and wipe clean with brake cleaner.
You have to caveat your advice. What you are saying is that someone should do the wrong thing and hope it will work. There are two right ways when doing a clutch. 100% replacement or proper resurfacing. Yes, there are various hillbilly methods that can be used, but you are setting someone up for a large replacement bill if that method fails. For example....yes, my cousin Jimmy and I reused 100,000 mile head studs on a 2.5L 600 HP build. We knew it was a bad idea from the get go. Therefore we'd never recommend the same method be used by others as we are independently wealthy and laugh as time and money lost. This is NOT true for 98% of people posting here. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #230
Soviet11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352968

Great thread!! So much to know, my car currently is requiring a new clutch, but i worry about ordering one of the internet and it not being the right one for me...

I have a 1998 impreza wrx 2.0 turbo (JDM)

if anyone could throw some suggestions at me to what i should look for exactly would be awesome
Soviet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #231
SWRocket
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338985
Vehicle:
2004 WRX SW
Silver

Hi guys,
Could anyone give me a feedback about:
COMPETITION CLUTCH STAGE 5?
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Comp...uck-Clutch-Kit
Thanks a lot!
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #232
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
95 L with ej257k
powa, Raven R6

I have a 2011 wrx 5mt transmission and am trying to decide on an uprated clutch disc and pressure plate to handle about 400 crank hp. Is the same clutch setup used for 06-13 5mt wrx models? I'm thinking of the exedy 3 puck ceremetallic setup but even thought its sprung I'm worried about chatter and streetability. I had a dual friction carbon kevlar disc for a while and it was street easy.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #233
Unabomber
Big Ron

Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You cannot guess crank HP. Even if you could, which you can't, horsepower plays zero role in clutch selection and had you read post 1, you'd know this. It is obvious you will buy the wrong clutch without some serious hand-holding, so your best option is to call www.andrewtechautomotive.com and buy exactly what Sam recommends to you with zero thought or input on your part.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #234
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
95 L with ej257k
powa, Raven R6

I didn't need to read your "tutorial" in the first post to know clutches were rated by torque holding capacity, I just stated 400hp because my torque goal is slightly lower than that. 400chp is my approximate goal which is why I posted "ABOUT" 400. Obviously the torque range varies depending on many factors, but I'm not going to know the exact torque and hp range until tuning. I am going by the average yielded by people running similar setups and trying to find a decent medium. Maybe if I had posted "exactly 385 ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel" I wouldn't have received such a helpful response.

My hp and torque goals are approximate because I (and many of the others here searching for any relevant information) know as well as they do that you aren't going to get exact numbers and your build isn't going to always yield what you expect. I'm looking for a clutch setup that will exceed the power range I'm aiming for. I've done a lot of searching with the torque holding capabilities of many different manufacturers being listed differently on different sites. I've also used a few different setups and am aware of some of their characteristics.

My original question was for someone with experience using that specific exedy clutch and their thoughts on its performance and capabilities, not for someone trying to promote one of their bud's businesses. If you don't have any helpful advice other than that smartass answer I'd appreciate none at all. Being a moderator in this forum shouldn't give you permission to act like a tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
You cannot guess crank HP. Even if you could, which you can't, horsepower plays zero role in clutch selection and had you read post 1, you'd know this. It is obvious you will buy the wrong clutch without some serious hand-holding, so your best option is to call www.andrewtechautomotive.com and buy exactly what Sam recommends to you with zero thought or input on your part.

Last edited by 2slofouru; 06-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #235
arangov3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 278414

arangov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #236
Unabomber
Big Ron

Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You did not read the first few posts. In those posts you would have found http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1498967 and going by your information, you would have a list of suitable clutches based on your torque rating (real or estimated) so you could choose. You did NOT list your torque, so literally NO ONE could help you. Do you wish that people will GUESS on something so important as a clutch?

I could give two ****s about where you buy your clutch, I was only offering the #1 Subaru transmission shop on the planet as a good source. If you buy from them, cool....if not, cool as my comission from Andrewtech or any other vendor here is exactly $0 per year.

I guess I will lump you into the group of many that say moderators get no opinion. If you wish to degrade this into talking about my mom or how you will beat my ass, my PM box is open, otherwise remain civil or leave NASIOC...this is a private forum and your presence here is not a right or requirement.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #237
speedsexndlivinloud
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348183
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Black

Does having a lightweight flywheel and al drive shaft increase the chances of a CEL?
speedsexndlivinloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #238
ACTman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113222

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsexndlivinloud View Post
Does having a lightweight flywheel and al drive shaft increase the chances of a CEL?
Lightweight flywheel = Yes on WRX (not on STI).
ACTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #239
2007_subaru_wrx_tr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 365948

has anyone found a way to get past this CEL, misfire codes is what im getting, ive skimmed through this and have had a stressful day finding this CEL code after driving it and it being fine, then randomly came up the second time i turned the key. the ones im getting are codes P0301-P0304. anyone got the same thing?
2007_subaru_wrx_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #240
silverbullet830
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155658
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Sedan
WRB

Turn the code off with tuning software I'm sure
silverbullet830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #241
2007_subaru_wrx_tr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 365948

Then if I do that I can't tell if something else goes wrong. Also it comes back, did it once
2007_subaru_wrx_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #242
silverbullet830
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155658
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Sedan
WRB

What is the weight of your flywheel?
silverbullet830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #243
STIguy1234
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367913

the exedy clutch im looking to buy gives a selection for clutch clamp load, not exactly sure what to choose a little help would be appreciated
2007 STI cold air full exhaust stage 2 tuned Cobb short throw

Last edited by STIguy1234; 09-10-2013 at 12:48 AM.
STIguy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #244
STI2004RJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 368788

Great source of info thank you guys...
STI2004RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #245
VinceS2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353338
Vehicle:
2005 EVO 8 WRX + STi
gold

Default Some more info on lightened flywheels

I fitted a 5kg aluminium flywheel to an '03 STi motor in my dd. The snappy acceleration and on-off nature of the motor is just plain fun. But not plain sailing. I've never seen a CEL but the first thing I got was a heap of shuddering on take-off and sometimes full on kangaroo hopping which was very hard to avoid. The only solution was to take off in a rush all the time. Might sound like fun, but gets a bit tedious for the favourite passenger!

I spoke to the clutch people about this and they said it is a common problem in efi vehicles, many people pull them out after a while as they can't live with it. Despite that it appears for all the world as if there is a gummy clutch plate issue or the like he said it will be fixed by adjusting the tune. He was right. Easy if you've got a Vipec or similar of course, as I do. The fix was to put a heap more fuel into the cells that the engine should never get to, like 500rpm. Totally eliminated the problem and I didn't see shuddering at all in any gentle take-off, much to the delight of the chick when the car was full of shopping.

So now I can just enjoy the boost the seat of the pants dyno gets with the snappier acceleration. But my advice would only be to do a lightened flywheel if you are able to adjust your tune or happy to take it to someone that will.

For the record this is exactly what I have fitted:

Fidanza Aluminium flywheel LAF8006 (5kg) http://www.fidanza.com/aluminum-flywheels.aspx

RPM2133SSCC Stage 2 Clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg & spigot brg. http://ciperformance.com.au/products.html
VinceS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #246
mdelg035
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290433
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
White

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2011 WRX with 28k miles Pro-tuned making 300AWHP and 315AWTQ and I think my clutch is already going... the reason I say that is because I started noticing a bit of shutter when getting out of first and also the engagement point is not the same anymore. Now, I've read that those are signs of the clutch going, but I'm not 100% sure.

Can you guys please confirm this? Also, I've been searching online and if it is the clutch, I was going to replace it with the Exedy Stage 1 clutch (since I daily drive my car (never tracked it, but I do have a "heavy foot")) and I was also thinking about buying a flywheel since my car is going to be opened up anyways.

Is that clutch good? Is the flywheel worth buying (and no I will not resurface the flywheel)? Which type of flywheel should I get?

Thanks for all the help ahead of time.
mdelg035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #247
subiforlife1428
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374049
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy
black

Can I get some wisdom from the Subie world? I want to swap my flywheel and would like to know if it's compatible with others. I have a N/A 253 and need a pressure plate/throwout bearing so I intend to change the flywheel aswell. could some give some insight?
subiforlife1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #248
Unabomber
Big Ron

Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Flywheels match the transmission NOT the engine so even if you have a Chevy 350 that is turbocharged, we don't care. If you have a 5 speed, you get a Subaru 5 speed flywheel. If you have a 6 speed, you get a Subaru 6 speed flywheel. I pray you have read post #1 and know the pros/cons of buying a lightened version and have decided to just get what you have resurfaced and go about your day.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #249
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
95 L with ej257k
powa, Raven R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiforlife1428 View Post
Can I get some wisdom from the Subie world? I want to swap my flywheel and would like to know if it's compatible with others. I have a N/A 253 and need a pressure plate/throwout bearing so I intend to change the flywheel aswell. could some give some insight?

You would buy the flywheel and clutch assembly to match the year AND model transmission. You can't just use any five speed subaru transmission flywheel and clutch setup, you have to be sure its for the correct year and type (na or turbo, push or pull for example). The five speeds have several types, for example the early jdm turbo five speeds used a pull clutch, the early usdm turbo legacies used a pull clutch, the 02-05 usdm wrx five speeds were pull clutch then the 06+ wrx five speeds went to push type. You also can't use a 97 impreza five speed flywheel and clutch on a 2011 wrx five speed transmission, for example. There are small details like fork pivot location, throwout bearing diameter and tab type, flywheel surface height and pressure plate to flywheel mounting hole orientation.

If you have a 2007 non turbo legacy as shown on your profile, you would just need to get the flywheel and clutch assembly for the 2007 subaru legacy non turbo five speed. There is no point in trying to find another compatible vehicle's flywheel, they already make them for your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Flywheels match the transmission NOT the engine so even if you have a Chevy 350 that is turbocharged, we don't care. If you have a 5 speed, you get a Subaru 5 speed flywheel. If you have a 6 speed, you get a Subaru 6 speed flywheel. I pray you have read post #1 and know the pros/cons of buying a lightened version and have decided to just get what you have resurfaced and go about your day.

Last edited by 2slofouru; 01-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #250
Ol_Blue
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352713
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Your mom sprung my clutch... dammit I couldn't help myself. Awesome write-up.
Ol_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote